Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 11:52   #1
BHPian

The right SUV for 16 - 17 lakhs

All,
I am looking ahead to buy a SUV by first half of 2011. I am looking for all your valuable suggestion.
Here is my requirements and Constraints

It will be a Self driven SUV.
I Will be using this only for long drive as well as for Vacation Travel which include Wild life , Ghats and Rural area.
I have a small car for my day today travel.
It should handle both tarmac as well as non existant road.
Looking for Performance, Comfort and Ride Quality
I am looking for a 4X4 version and Diesel option
For a family of 5 People
Max: Budgent is of 16 to 17 Lakh on road.

I think following are My Options
Mahindra Scorpio 4X4
New Tata Safari (Tata Merlin) 4X4 to be launched in early 2011
Tata Safari 2010 4X4
Mahindra World SUV ( W201 ) to be launched. I am following the thread and eager to see it's launch
Skoda Yeti( Not too keen as I read the story in Team-BHP).

Thanks to all Team-BHP members for their valuable post which made this site a knowledge center for people like me.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The right SUV for 16 - 17 lakhs

Why not look at Tata Aria, you get the best features for a car that price. It is a 4x4, diesel, performance is on par with any other SUV in the price range.
Else wait for the next edition of Tata Safari or Mahindra W201
Old 15th December 2010, 12:18   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

1. Suggest the Mahindra Scorpio 4WD VLX which comes with all safety features etc and at an On Road BLR Price of 13.45 lacs.
With a little negotiation and No Claim Bonus etc you should get it at 12.75 lacs or so.
2. Please evaluate the Tata Safari 4x4 2010 version and in case they have the 4x4 GX - the GX was better value than the VX.
3.My guess is that the Tata Merlin and W201 from Mahindra will come only in the latter half of 2011 if you can wait that long. Plus, the first cut vehicles may or may not be absolutely perfect and will tend to evolve over time as did the Safari and Scorpio.
4.If you dont mind waiting till 2011 end or so, you could consider waiting for the Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton or Korando which are both proven in International markets and are likely to be very good packages for India and particularly your needs.
5. You could also consider waiting for the Renault Koleos and the Dacia Duster, both of which are rumoured to be "on the way".
6. Skoda Yeti may not really fulfil your needs though it is a very nice vehicle in its own way. Plus it is expensive at 21 lacs on road bangalore. 7.Tata Aria could be a possibility but it is really not an SUV, more of an MUV with 4x4.
8. Toyota Fortuner, Chevy Captiva,Ford Endeavour and Mitsubishi Pajero - brand new are possibilities but a bit over budget perhaps. You may want to seek out used examples of these.
9. As another option, you could consider an used Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X Trail which you will probably be able to get quite inexpensively - going by some of the vehicles I ve recently seen available in the Bangalore market (around 9.5-12.5 lacs range for 5-6 year old vehicles).
10.Suggest you check out the used markets carefully and do some scouting before you make the leap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
All,
I am looking ahead to buy a SUV by first half of 2011. I am looking for all your valuable suggestion.
Here is my requirements and Constraints

I Will be using this only for long drive as well as for Vacation Travel which include Wild life , Ghats and Rural area.
For a family of 5 People

Mahindra Scorpio 4X4
Tata Safari 2010 4X4
Mahindra World SUV ( W201 ) to be launched. I am following the thread and eager to see it's launch

Thanks to all Team-BHP members for their valuable post which made this site a knowledge center for people like me.
Old 15th December 2010, 21:28   #4
BHPian

Hi Shankar, Speedmiester
Thanks for your suggesgtions. Here is my thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. Suggest the Mahindra Scorpio 4WD VLX which comes with all safety features etc and at an On Road BLR Price of 13.45 lacs.
With a little negotiation and No Claim Bonus etc you should get it at 12.75 lacs or so.
I did a test drive on Scorpio VLX Automatic 7 seater. I like handling and other features of Scorpio. But I feel it lacks space and the 2nd row seats are non-reclining seats. The sales executive told me that the Captain version of scorpio has reclining seats and third row can be removed. When I compare with Safari, Scorpio lacks space and Ground Clearance.
Quote:
2. Please evaluate the Tata Safari 4x4 2010 version and in case they have the 4x4 GX - the GX was better value than the VX.
Some where in the forum, I saw that the 4X4 version is available only in VX Model. I did a test drive on VX 4x2 version. The demo car got a lot of vibrations. Also body roll is quite visible compared to Scorpio. I liked the space and ground clearance and performance. Again there is no reclining seats for 2nd row seat. The finish quality is too bad.

Quote:
3.My guess is that the Tata Merlin and W201 from Mahindra will come only in the latter half of 2011 if you can wait that long. Plus, the first cut vehicles may or may not be absolutely perfect and will tend to evolve over time as did the Safari and Scorpio.
From some of the posts, I came to know that the Tata Merlin will be a refresh of Current Safari with better quality and finish. If that is the case, I can wait for that. But again I read that they are moving the spare wheel to the underhood which may impact the off road capabilty and its majestic look.

Quote:
4.If you dont mind waiting till 2011 end or so, you could consider waiting for the Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton or Korando which are both proven in International markets and are likely to be very good packages for India and particularly your needs.
5. You could also consider waiting for the Renault Koleos and the Dacia Duster, both of which are rumoured to be "on the way".
No spec available for Indian version
Quote:
6. Skoda Yeti may not really fulfil your needs though it is a very nice vehicle in its own way. Plus it is expensive at 21 lacs on road bangalore.
Not in my list at all due to A.S.S and our members stories
Quote:
7.Tata Aria could be a possibility but it is really not an SUV, more of an MUV with 4x4.
I agree
Quote:
8. Toyota Fortuner, Chevy Captiva,Ford Endeavour and Mitsubishi Pajero - brand new are possibilities but a bit over budget perhaps. You may want to seek out used examples of these.
Quote:
9. As another option, you could consider an used Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X Trail which you will probably be able to get quite inexpensively - going by some of the vehicles I ve recently seen available in the Bangalore market (around 9.5-12.5 lacs range for 5-6 year old vehicles).
I prefer to go for a new Vehicle as I am not confident in getting real picture / problems of purchasing a used vehicle
Quote:
10.Suggest you check out the used markets carefully and do some scouting before you make the leap!
I have to take the help of some of our gurus in the forum
Old 15th December 2010, 23:21   #5
BANNED

Quote:
I have to take the help of some of our gurus in the forum
Let me know once you have zeroed down on your budget for a used vehicle. Scout Carwale, sulekha, freeads, admag etc alongwith used car dealers for at least a couple of weeks to get an idea of the market.

Coming to a new vehicle, I would strongly recommend a Captain seat Scorpio 4wd automatic if you can afford it. Take a TD of the auto and decide.

Also, you can let me know if you need any co operation from Concorde or SKS Automobiles.
Old 16th December 2010, 07:19   #6
BANNED

hi

Scorpio vlx 4x4 AT or MT - both are good.
GC is around 180mm and from personal experience with my 2WD I can tell you it is pretty much adequate to handle most situations. I drive into the hills every now and then and have not had any trouble with scraping the underbelly. Again, one has to use the right technique driving over rutted roads and stuff - this applies to any SUV/ jeep type thingy. I mean if one goes at a rutted road like a bull at a gate even in a Gypsy or MM540, one is likely to get stuck I can tell you.

If you pick up the 7 seater version of the Scorpio you will find the second row seats can be moved backwards to increase leg room but you cannot recline the seat backs in the second row. The last 2 jump seats can either be kept folded or removed entirely to make acres of space available for luggage.

I would not recommend the 8 seat Scorpio because the third row is very uncomfortable, difficult to access, mostly useless and takes away all the available luggage space. Hence, for your particular requirement as outlined, which seems more or less similar to mine, the 7 seater is a better bet.

Safari - yes it might be a tad too big to deal with on your expeditions.
And I tend to be more psychologically comfortable with the Scorpio in terms of "never-let-down" traits.

The rest of the points you made are completely clear and I agree with them. Used cars are nice in terms of the deals that one is getting nowadays but we are still very un-organized in this space and hence cannot absolutely trust the used car dealers to do the right thing by us.
That market is certainly evolving but it has to evolve a lot more in my opinion and somehow these private used car dealers give me the heebyjeebies everytime I visit one of them, however tempting the cars there might be!

cheers and all the best.

[quote=g_prajeesh;2176139]Hi Shankar, Speedmiester
Thanks for your suggesgtions. Here is my thought
Old 16th December 2010, 09:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I did a test drive on Scorpio VLX Automatic 7 seater. I like handling and other features of Scorpio. But I feel it lacks space and the 2nd row seats are non-reclining seats. The sales executive told me that the Captain version of scorpio has reclining seats and third row can be removed. When I compare with Safari, Scorpio lacks space and Ground Clearance.
Kindly share any further information you have on the Scorpio AT based on your test drive.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:36   #8
BANNED

i test drove the 2WD AT version around late 2008 or early 2009 when it got launched. it is a lovely torquey vehicle.
I had no problem whatsoever climbing up a 36 to 40 degree ramp at the dealership- both in forward and in reverse - this says a lot indeed! and it is so very easy to drive in traffic since there's only the brake and the accelerator to worry about. No question of left leg fatigue because of constant low gear changes and clutching/de-clutching.
But - personally I would always prefer a manual because I love using the gears, especially on long drives and while driving in the hills.
Automatic is first class for in city daily usage in high traffic, constant start-stop situations - there is no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Kindly share any further information you have on the Scorpio AT based on your test drive.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:43   #9
BHPian

+1 to that.My brother always tells me that when its a Tata or a Mahindra,its safe to wait for the car to be reviewed,used and then purchase it
The first cut normally has some issues with most of the models that come from the stable of M&M or Tata.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

As others have already stated, please look between the Safari and Scorpio 4X4. Both the cheap and easy to maintain. I would suggest staying away from AT or other exotic SUVs if you intend to travel into the wilderness mostly as breakdowns can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2010, 10:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Mitsu Pajero. I know it is older generation, but the best value in that price range. Also, it is a very reliable and proven vehicle. I think it will stretch your budget slightly.
If Pajero is out, then the next best choice is the Scorpio 4x4.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would look at choosing from the following two options:

Quote:
The primary images look very promising. So do the interiors. Both may be short of 'absolute quality' that one associates with Euro cars but should be nevertheless much better than Scorpio.

Quote:
A class act in its own right. This may prove to be a bit of 'less quantity for more money'. You cannot fault the car for anything if you are ok with the size. A.S.S remain a slight concern. However, I seriously believe that the stories are blown way out of proportions. No offense meant for anyone, but we all love to bash FIAT and SKODA!
Old 16th December 2010, 11:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
All,
For a family of 5 People

Mahindra Scorpio 4X4
Tata Safari 2010 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why not look at Tata Aria, you get the best features for a car that price. It is a 4x4, diesel, performance is on par with any other SUV in the price range.
I also think that you can consider Tata Aria 4x4. It is not a pure OTR vehicle, but should fit the 'wild life' part of your weekend. Last weekend spent around 40kms (not tar roads of any form - only tyre tracks) inside Waynad forests near Chekady, Pulpally following a mm540 in my Aria where ever it went. After the first few kms most of the ladies and kids in mm540 jumped out and asked for a swap (thanks to the spring-plates of the jeep). The size of the vehicle didn't really show up till we had to reverse and turn-around (but in a no road situation typically you may not need to do that - you can many a times make a loop to turn around). I have not yet updated my ownership thread with this trip - will shortly do that after the vehicle is back from second service in the evening.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Hi Murugan,

The AT version is good and will help a lot in City Drive. I drove it on busy Airport Road. It was easy to drive.

Also I tried it in Chalagatta Road ( As you may be aware that the road i blown away by BSSWB work and no road at all ) and full of path hole. There also it did well. Little bit of Bumby ride( Compared to tata safari ). But may be if I tried with a Captain version( Which has bucket seat as per sales executive), it might be a better ride. Otherwise I liked the ride
Old 16th December 2010, 13:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I also think that you can consider Tata Aria 4x4. It is not a pure OTR vehicle, but should fit the 'wild life' part of your weekend. Last weekend spent around 40kms (not tar roads of any form - only tyre tracks) inside Waynad forests near Chekady, Pulpally following a mm540 in my Aria where ever it went. After the first few kms most of the ladies and kids in mm540 jumped out and asked for a swap (thanks to the spring-plates of the jeep). The size of the vehicle didn't really show up till we had to reverse and turn-around (but in a no road situation typically you may not need to do that - you can many a times make a loop to turn around). I have not yet updated my ownership thread with this trip - will shortly do that after the vehicle is back from second service in the evening.
Hi,

I initially thought of including Aria in my list. As I mentioned in my post, I am going to use it most of the time for Wild Life, Rural area.Most of the time there won't be road at all or with full of path hole. Also I am going to use this vehicle extensively. So if I go for a luxury or high cost car, I may have to think twice before step into any kind of adventure. Also My budget at max 16-17 lakh on road.

So the ex-showroom Price should be with in 13-14 lakh max.

The cars that I listed, I hope can meet my requirements with in my budget and low cost of maintenace and ownership with adequate comfort and ride dynamics.

Most Viewed