Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:33   #241
BHPian

Re: Rexton or T-Fort or Endeavour

Sir,apart from Fortuner and Xuv,resale value of pretty much every other vehicle in this segment will be bad.Please keep that in mind.I suggest you take a good look at the Captiva.I would avoid the Endeavour since a new one is expected next year.XUV is a good choice and great value for money.

A dark horse would be the Safari Storme.I have travelled in the Safari quite a bit.The rear bench is the best!!The car can easily meet your space requirements.Going by TD reports,the Safari Storme is a brilliant car indeed!!

Hope this helps!!

EDIT:I assume you aren't entirely looking at AT vehicles!!

Last edited by KINI : 22nd November 2012 at 18:37.
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:40   #242
BHPian

The order of preference you have given is very accurate and I recommend you to go for the Rexton. The Rexton is better equipped than the other two and has better comfort levels when we consider the ride quality. The only negative with the Rexton is the usablity of the third row. Otherwise the Rexton is the best among the three choices. Further the Rexton has a massive ground clearance of more than 250 mm and so you can go offroading without any worries. The gear shifters on the stearing are like the paddle shifters and they help a lot while overtaking and on inclines. So in my opinion there is no comparision of the other two with the Rexton. Just go for it.
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:46   #243
Team-BHP Support

Point to note: You want SUVs more for space than for OTR requirements.
So I think you should check out ride qualities of these guys you have in the list.
You may find some to be stiff. Hence family may not like it for long drives.

@Zappo is very true. You should look at Captiva/Santa Fe too. Do take a second opinion and test of XUV also.
I think the discounts offered were on the outgoing Captiva model.

You should check with Himanshu who got a Captiva. Let me dig out that thread.

EDIT :
Here is the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...t-captiva.html

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2012 at 18:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:49   #244
Senior - BHPian

Your requirements really do not warrant you to purchase a SUV as off-roading is not your primary requirement. You would enjoy more if you invest in a luxury sedan. Believe me as I own both. Size can be got in sedans too, if your family per-requisite is that.
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:57   #245
Senior - BHPian

@GauravTaneja

On the onset you said you do not mind petrol. Check out the 2.4L Grand Vitara. Runs brilliantly, handles very well, suspension is almost car like, reliable as they get. 4x4 low available, comes in MT & AT.

I have used the Grand Vitara 2.0L I was extremely happy with it other than at the fuel station The petrol price & lower fuel economy of the petrols made me part with it.

IF the third row is really NOT a "requirement" then it is a brilliant car to drive & VERY capable

Though it seems you are clearly veering towards more Butch looking ones & all 3 you have short listed are in XL size

None the less if you considered the Outlander you may look at the GV as well. The drive may just change your mind !!

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:07   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Your requirements really do not warrant you to purchase a SUV as off-roading is not your primary requirement. You would enjoy more if you invest in a luxury sedan. Believe me as I own both. Size can be got in sedans too, if your family per-requisite is that.
Yes, you are right and I did think about it, but as I said, this time I want an SUV; not inclined to change my mind about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Zappo is very true. You should look at Captiva/Santa Fe too. Do take a second opinion and test of XUV also.
I think the discounts offered were on the outgoing Captiva model.

You should check with Himanshu who got a Captiva. Let me dig out that thread.
Ampere - thanks for taking the effort of pulling out the thread. I agree the Captiva would probably be a very good option, but I can't seem to find an older model (new) and the new model is beyond budget. If you know of a dealer giving the older model at a discount, please let me know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
A dark horse would be the Safari Storme.I have travelled in the Safari quite a bit.The rear bench is the best!!The car can easily meet your space requirements.Going by TD reports,the Safari Storme is a brilliant car indeed!!

Hope this helps!!

EDIT:I assume you aren't entirely looking at AT vehicles!!
Thanks Kini. I am a bit inclined to go for an AT this time. The Safari doesn't quite check the boxes in terms of look and feel, so did not even bother with a test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also you might want to check out the Nissan Xtrail and the Renault Koleos and see if they are carrying any discounts. Both are capable cars but slightly overpriced.
Happy hunting.
Thanks Doc. Unfortunately both are out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
but have you thought about the Duster. It seems to check all your boxes.
Tried twice at Renault dealerships; once in Delhi and once in Noida. The attitude of the sales staff led to me walking out both times. Both times they did not have a sales person to demonstrate the vehicle and on asking for a test drive, the receptionist at the Delhi dealership gave me a scrap of paper with a number on it and asked me to go to the guard outside who would have then (perhaps) put me in line for the test drive. If this is the attitude at the time of making a sale, I shudder to think of the ***. So Renault vehicles are no longer in consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
You have a budget with a floor and a ceiling as I understand it. You will not want to go below or above that. If I also understood you correctly the floor for your budget starts somewhere around 18-19 lakhs, may be?

I suggest that you check out the Chevy Captiva.
Correct on the floor of my budget; the ceiling is around 25L. As mentioned above, if you are aware of any dealer that has old stock of Captiva, please do point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Well, if maintaining your car if perfect condition is one of the top priorities in your life, certainly go for the XUV.
I would go nuts and thus the XUV was taken off the list. Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:24   #247
BHPian

If you ask me, with the points that you have mentioned about resale and reliability, T-Fort AT is a winner. You can look at the monthly sales figures for this vehicle and it talks for itself.

Being a 4x4 MT user, I would recommend you the same. This is where you can get most juice out of the ride. However, if you do not wish to really explore slush, rocks and the likes, AT is a winner.

Glued to your thread to know what you finally fetch !
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:24   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Correct on the floor of my budget; the ceiling is around 25L. As mentioned above, if you are aware of any dealer that has old stock of Captiva, please do point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Sorry did not latch on to the AT aspect. Do you want to look at Renault Koleos?
Its a five seater though. May be good to check it out too,
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:27   #249
Senior - BHPian

Assuming you are only looking at SUVs and sedans are not to be considered , I would suggest you take a look at the Hyundai santa fe. Its spacious , comfortable , good diesel engine , decent features and acceptable Hyundai A.S.S. The Fortuner is a more than worthy advisory but I think for the price its too bare boned. The Ford E , I would suggest stay away. The rear seats are worse than park benches , the interiors too utilitarian , a little too cumbersome in traffic and over all an inferior package .
Another vehicle that comes to my mind is the Nissan Xtrail. A very sorted car with the right size , engine and ergonomics.
Lastly , since you say you open to petrol , the honda crv is absolutely brilliant.Does everything well and then some. Just dont take it off roading. I had one for about 6 months and if it wasn't for the 7 kmpl it gave me i would still be driving it. A new one comes in sometime early next year too.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:43   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Assuming you are only looking at SUVs and sedans are not to be considered , I would suggest you take a look at the Hyundai santa fe.
Another vehicle that comes to my mind is the Nissan Xtrail. A very sorted car with the right size , engine and ergonomics.
Lastly , since you say you open to petrol , the honda crv is absolutely brilliant.
Thanks Bigron; unfortunately all three are out of my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
If you ask me, with the points that you have mentioned about resale and reliability, T-Fort AT is a winner. You can look at the monthly sales figures for this vehicle and it talks for itself.

Being a 4x4 MT user, I would recommend you the same.
Glued to your thread to know what you finally fetch !
Thanks for the note Ahmed. Actually, I can buy the T-Fort 4X4 AT through CSD at a considerable discount. Am not sure if I really want a 4X4 and the AT would most likely be much easier to drive. Actually this was the one bit I did not mention in my post. Thanks for adding to the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@GauravTaneja

On the onset you said you do not mind petrol. Check out the 2.4L Grand Vitara.

Though it seems you are clearly veering towards more Butch looking ones & all 3 you have short listed are in XL size
Thanks Ricky. Now that's a thought - I will take a look at the GV. And you are right about my preference for the Butch looking ones
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:20   #251
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are in the market for a butch SUV with a diesel powerplant, I would suggest you the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. It is a proper XL sized SUV, has a terrific ride and the engine is great too. I am not too sure about Mitsubishi's aftersales in Delhi and the NCR region but I feel its worth a look and you should consider it too.

Happy choosing.
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:44   #252
BHPian

As you will be doing daily commutes with the vehicle go in for an AT gearbox. It is also a great help on highways, particularly on 2 lane types.
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:30   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Bigron; unfortunately all three are out of my budget.
What is your budget?

In case it is north of 25 lac INR, you could look at a good pre owned Montero. Nothing beats it on any count, on road, AT and off it.
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:42   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I hope that gives enough fuel to some of you to put on your thinking caps and get into my shoes and then say what would you have gone for.
@Gaurav - going by the priorities you have listed T-Fort 4x2 Auto is a no-brainer. Its the most hazzle free, least maintenance worry and best resale value option. It offers best space space too. The only grouse is low speed ride quality - but that's definitely not a deal breaker.

The rest, atleast to me, is a compromise on one front or the other.

Last edited by alabjarus : 22nd November 2012 at 21:48.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:50   #255
BHPian

Given your requirements you are an ideal customer for the Rexton. Will be good for the city and occasional weekend drives. The Rexton is spacious for 5, the problem for some is space on the 3rd row, and you don't need it.

I will rule out the Endeavour due to age and ride quality and the Fortuner while capable and reliable leaves a lot to be desired on the interiors.

And personally I do not like the Fortuner as its too square, narrow and high. These kind of designs based on pickups don't look stable to me. Fortunately the newer ones come with ESP and better brakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks