Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 03:59   #271
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

VSD - 40 percent off for 6K km! That looks like a super once in a blue moon deal thats fallen in your lap!

If you like the Captiva please grab it first and then think, and go forward. It would be a pity to miss it while you are thinking.

With all the stories we have been getting about showroom vehicles do get it throughly checked for accidents though.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:18   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD
I am also stuck and can't decide what car to pick, so guys help me out on this one.

I have booked the fortuner 4*2 AT Trd sportivo and it shall be delivered by first week of December. It's like a default choice when you are looking for a mile cruncher and super reliable SUV.

But, only today i got a deal from a known person who works at a Chevrolet dealership and they are parting away with their showroom vehicle. The new captiva, top model (AT) in white colour, done 6k kilometers and is in pretty good shape. I have a decent quote from them and it will be costing me almost 40% less than actual on road price.

So should i just stick to the fortuner or go for the captiva? Looks not too important and neither are 7 seats. I just want a car that provides good comfort. Also, keeping in mind that this vehicle will be used extensively, like quite a lot.
It's going to replace our innova which has done 87k kms in past 26 months.
This does sound too good to be true. You ought to take it, and if you don't want to, do pass it on to me :-)
Old 1st December 2012, 12:27   #273
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Friends, I have been an avid reader of the tremendous amount of knowledge available in this forum.

I would like seek your advice on my decision to buy XUV or Fortuner. I am only looking at these 2 vehicles. Captiva, Koleos are above my budget and I am not sure about the after sales service of Mitshubishi Pajero.

I am used to the quality of service provided by Toyota and would like to have similar service level and peace of mind.

Is XUV500 AWD an excellent option over fortuner 4x4? I am never going to drive in a serious off-road condition, however wanted to own a vehicle which has ability to go anywhere, more of a lifestyle than anything else.

I also would like the vehicle to have long term reliability and easy maintenance cost over 8-10 years. I test drove both and found that I am extremely comfortable in Fortuner while it is less so in XUV, especially the left leg did not have the right placement in dead pedal. I am aware I need to stretch budget by a huge margin to acquire Fortuner which I hope to manage. However XUV offers everything Fortuner can provide at a much cheaper price (road presence, comfort inside , comfortable seating for 5 + manageable for 2, a lot of features and better fuel economy).

Your advice would be greatly apperciated.
Old 1st December 2012, 14:18   #274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar
Friends, I have been an avid reader of the tremendous amount of knowledge available in this forum.

I would like seek your advice on my decision to buy XUV or Fortuner. I am only looking at these 2 vehicles. Captiva, Koleos are above my budget and I am not sure about the after sales service of Mitshubishi Pajero.

I am used to the quality of service provided by Toyota and would like to have similar service level and peace of mind.

Is XUV500 AWD an excellent option over fortuner 4x4? I am never going to drive in a serious off-road condition, however wanted to own a vehicle which has ability to go anywhere, more of a lifestyle than anything else.

I also would like the vehicle to have long term reliability and easy maintenance cost over 8-10 years. I test drove both and found that I am extremely comfortable in Fortuner while it is less so in XUV, especially the left leg did not have the right placement in dead pedal. I am aware I need to stretch budget by a huge margin to acquire Fortuner which I hope to manage. However XUV offers everything Fortuner can provide at a much cheaper price (road presence, comfort inside , comfortable seating for 5 + manageable for 2, a lot of features and better fuel economy).

Your advice would be greatly apperciated.
I would suggest that you take another look at the Captiva. Unless you are likely to do some serious off road stuff, the Fortuner's real prowess wont be seen by you. Given the brief above, I think a good powerful, comfortable 2WD SUV is more than enough for you.The XUV seems really VFM but it still has a number of potential niggles. I would personally think that the XUV will take another year or two to completely 'settle' down. It is very crudely finished and they have really engineered it to a cost.
In terms of a combnation of comfort, quality, safety stuff, general drivability and parking ease in the city, the Captiva still scores over the others mentioned in this consideration set.
You might also want to consider the Rexton because that really looks a good VFM deal given what it offers at the price!
Old 1st December 2012, 15:41   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I am also stuck and can't decide what car to pick, so guys help me out on this one.

I have booked the fortuner 4*2 AT Trd sportivo and it shall be delivered by first week of December. It's like a default choice when you are looking for a mile cruncher and super reliable SUV.

But, only today i got a deal from a known person who works at a Chevrolet dealership and they are parting away with their showroom vehicle. The new captiva, top model (AT) in white colour, done 6k kilometers and is in pretty good shape. I have a decent quote from them and it will be costing me almost 40% less than actual on road price.

So should i just stick to the fortuner or go for the captiva? Looks not too important and neither are 7 seats. I just want a car that provides good comfort. Also, keeping in mind that this vehicle will be used extensively, like quite a lot.
If comfort is a priority for you, then the Captiva is by far the best choice for ou. Its ride is way better than fortuner, being a monocoque, its has way less body roll, the engine is more refined, seating position i sbetter.

Buy the fortuer if you want something vrey rugged and travel on broken roads often.
Old 1st December 2012, 18:24   #276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD

I s in pretty good shape. I have a decent quote from them and it will be costing me almost 40% less than actual on road price.

I would say go for it. That is a super price off!
The Captiva is an excellent vehicle overall and as far as comfort is concerned, streets above the rather truck-like Fortuner.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:28   #277
VSD
BHPian

Checked out the captiva, it looked neat by the looks of it.

I enquired about the car with some technicians in the service centre rather than sales people and I was told that the ECM had been replaced twice and it still keeps giving up again and again. So if the ecu has issues then I think it doesn't make sense buying the car.

I just made up my mind and went for the fortuner. The limited edition model still makes the car stand out, well, kind off.
Should be delivered by this week.
Old 5th December 2012, 00:30   #278
BHPian

Need Some help guys.

We have after what can be described as a long and hard search for a proper SUV, one point here SUV does not imply off roading but a large UV with decent space and a good drive, narrowed it down to two contenders

Fortuner 4X2 AT

Pajero Sports 4X4 MT

I test drove both cars, as luck would have it in Matura Road in Delhi both these dealers are back to back so could really compare stuff. I had originally gone to MGF toyota in Gurgaon to see the Fortuner and quite honestly really like the car, the interiors though very basic did feel very well put together and had a charm about them which can not be explained but just felt. Things however changed after experiencing the Sports.

The Pajero sports on first inspection looked mean and it has been raised a lot so again adding to the buchness of the vehicle. Entering the vehicle it felt quite spacious and the interiors felt classy and modern. There were some basic things like the Information display and the music system but other than that most things felt nice. The drive was short but the SA did take me on some bad roads. The steering was heavy at low speeds but loosened up after some time, I had to reverse the car a bit due to the way it was parked but it felt quite easy considering it was a massive truck and my day to day car is a Figo. The gear box vibrates and so does the steering but felt decent feel on bad roads in the steering. Once speeds increased the vibrations were gone. All in all a good experience.

Economics - 2536000 OTR with Gurgaon registration. They are offering one lakh/3 years warranty at zero price. Average service cost is 1,00,000 Rs for 1,50,000 Km

Now we went to see the Fortuner again at Espirit Toyota, the main problem with the Fortuner is the crazy waiting times, we were given 5 months at Gurgaon, but Espirit Toyota is saying 4 months for Auto. One point here Espirit Toyota was very professional and treated us like they cared for our custom as compared to MGF Toyota who did not even bother to show us the car, their implication it is a Fortuner, what is there to see.

What struck me immediately was the difference in the interiors, the Pajero felt much much better as compared to the Fortuner, I might be wrong here but the Pajero also had a higher driving position, I am 6'2 and felt like I am sitting lower in the Fortuner even with the arrangement done all the way up. The DVD screen felt very aftermarket but the steering wheel in the fortuner felt very premium that Black wood finish is lovely to hold. A test drive was also arranged which was greatly appreciated by us. The Auto box was very convenient but it felt slow, like power delivery took its own sweet time to come in. And the mileage was a shocker 7.3 KMPL for an Auto as shown by the MID was in my Dad's eyes a deal breaker, I explained to him it is a TD vehicle and is driven in all sorts of ways so maybe that is the reason for this but the damage was done.

Economics - 2497000 OTR Gurgaon with the warranty and Insurance.

Now my dear BHPians please help me in this, I have also located a Black Fortuner Auto which can be delivered this month and the earliest for Pajero is January end. I am fine with these waiting times but both these beasts prove their respective points very well and I am in a total fix in which one to go for. On the one hand there is a very reliable and tried and tested product so popular that people are ready to wait 9 months for just the white colour and on the other hand there is a new comer which is just as competitive and has the added advantage of having a full blown 4WD system and better interiors although misses out on some features.

So which one should we go for, please help make my life easier
Old 5th December 2012, 01:58   #279
Team-BHP Support

Personally I think you should go for the Pajero. For a slight bit more you will get the 4x4, a possibly better driving experience, much better ride comfort, better dynamics. What also helps is the quicker delivery time. And the features it misses out on aren't really that important and most can be added aftermarket.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 10:25   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
So which one should we go for, please help make my life easier
Pajero is the way to go for sure. Not a second doubt.
The new sport is a well refined engine and quite responsive.
Pleasure of driving a SUV (one hell of a beast, lets say) is in MT only and 4x4 is available when you need it, unlike in fortuner.
AWD full time is a reason you get low FE in fortuner. I never got it, why would I need a AWD in city. Moreover Forty is bumpy to ride as you might have noticed.
So book a pajero and you will cherish it for at least a decade to come!
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 13:29   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk

Pleasure of driving a SUV (one hell of a beast, lets say) is in MT only and 4x4 is available when you need it, unlike in fortuner.
AWD full time is a reason you get low FE in fortuner. I never got it, why would I need a AWD in city. Moreover Forty is bumpy to ride as you might have noticed.
I accept that Fortuner's ride is a bit on the bumpy side but I did not get what u meant to say regarding 4x4. It most certainly is available on the 4 wheel drive manual and being a dedicated transfer case its a true off roader. Well just as you said MT is better than manual, so is a manual transfer case better than an automatic one.
Secondly I have never heard anyone complaining about low fuel efficiency of the Fortuner. On a mixed highway and city drive, it consistently gives me 12.5 kmpl+ which I consider ample considering the size of the brute.
D4d-maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 13:39   #282
BHPian

As the toss up is between these similarly priced cars, however the Pajero Sport has been recently launched and the prices tweaked substantially, its not a common site on our road a as the Fortuner. An added advantage is the 4x4 in the Pajero.

Have you considered the Rexton? by Mahindra..?
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 16:44   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I accept that Fortuner's ride is a bit on the bumpy side but I did not get what u meant to say regarding 4x4. It most certainly is available on the 4 wheel drive manual and being a dedicated transfer case its a true off roader. Well just as you said MT is better than manual, so is a manual transfer case better than an automatic one.
Secondly I have never heard anyone complaining about low fuel efficiency of the Fortuner. On a mixed highway and city drive, it consistently gives me 12.5 kmpl+ which I consider ample considering the size of the brute.
What I meant to say is that pajero is given with a 4x4 gear lever which you can engage as and when you need it other wise in city move on 4x2 mode.
This is not the case with forty, which is full time All Wheel Drive.
Yes, you made a point here manual is also available but again the 4x4 is all time engaged.
One who buy forty will hardly be bothered about FE .
For pajero, its more luxurious from inside whereas Forty is kind of utilitarian. Nonetheless is a great beast in itself.
Only reason pajero has not picked up so good is the HM partnership of Mitsu.
I expressed my opinion, final decision will be of eq only.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 22:12   #284
BHPian

What a day today has been, I was away to Western UP for work and my mom and dad sneaked of to see the Rexton, the reason I was given was an advert in today's TOI, but the forthcoming reaction was something I could not believe.

Parents never call at work unless something important or an emergency, so thinking on the same lines I picked up a bit worried, the first line my dad said was do you know the Rexton. Yes I knew the Rexton, I had seen and driven the old one in the UK, but at that time I had no idea what the Rexton was and then my Dad said, its a car by Ssangyong and I still could not place it, I was still in worry mode so was on a different tangent altogether. When he finally mentioned Mahindra everything became clear.

My parents had called me to discuss a car, this had never happened, when I reached home again they were so happy with the car, it was weird, so in my books the Rexton is already something, if my folks who have driven and been driven in pretty much most of the cars out there and whose reaction to the Fortuner and Pajero Sports was OK were actually HAPPY with the Rexton. The feature list and the Price were in my opinion the moving blocks.

So the Rexton was leading the choice list but it got me thinking about when I received my dad's call, I had no idea about the car, had he said Fortuner or the Pajero Sports, things would have been so clear. So yeah the brand SSangyong is as things stand right now, Nowhere. And budget is not a problem for us, we had earmarked a comfortable 30 for this buy so just swaying for the cheaper price tag will not be an issue.

As things stand I have an appointment with the Mahindra ahem...SSangyong guys tomorrow in which I will be seeing this new avatar for the first time so will share tomorrow. I will also be TD'ing the car tomorrow and being the family's official driver this will be the most important thing for me.

Can someone just for the sake of economics comment on the resale values of these cars say 3 to 5 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Personally I think you should go for the Pajero. For a slight bit more you will get the 4x4, a possibly better driving experience, much better ride comfort, better dynamics. What also helps is the quicker delivery time. And the features it misses out on aren't really that important and most can be added aftermarket.

Thanks Akshay, the Pajero is indeed winning in my books right now and I appreciate it mainly for the amazing drive and better interiors. The features are mostly aftermarket fittments and will be done anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Pajero is the way to go for sure. Not a second doubt.
The new sport is a well refined engine and quite responsive.
I think in the 4X4 MT Fortuner there is a transfer box as well and it is not wholly AWD all the time, but yeah although I absolutely adore the Fortuner, the Pajero is just a breath of fresh air. I am worried about the whole HM Mitsu deal though and also the fact that both their Delhi dealers were so empty and had no foot fall in days at an end. If it is such a good car then why aren't people jumping on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
As the toss up is between these similarly priced cars, however the Pajero Sport has been recently launched and the prices tweaked substantially, its not a common site on our road a as the Fortuner. An added advantage is the 4x4 in the Pajero.

Have you considered the Rexton? by Mahindra..?
Thanks for your suggestions and the reasons you give are the same I have as well and the PS is winning as of now. Please read above about the Rexton.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:34   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I think in the 4X4 MT Fortuner there is a transfer box as well and it is not wholly AWD all the time, but yeah although I absolutely adore the Fortuner, the Pajero is just a breath of fresh air. I am worried about the whole HM Mitsu deal though and also the fact that both their Delhi dealers were so empty and had no foot fall in days at an end. If it is such a good car then why aren't people jumping on board.
There ain't any 4x2 option in fortuner.
Well as I said, only hindrance to the pajero sales in the HM tag that bothering all. When one put 20+ hard earned money they expect a good after sales care in fact a pampering as we should expect. But HM is HM.
Good news is that HM Mitsu are at the verge of separation, so time to cheer as Mitsu will definitely look to improve its presence all alone.
Regarding the vehicle, I think none need to advocate that pajero is a time (in deed ages) tested vehicle that we all know. Moreover you have driven it yourself. With Fortuner and Pajero you need not worry about reliablity and durability.
Well for Rexton it's an unknown territory and none can say how efficient and learned mahindra mechanics would be to give a good technical support. I think if its a full import vehicle then you can have international reviews on he same. But I believe we should give it some observation period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks