Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:33   #346
BHPian

Mercedes B Class - Any other option?

My family is planning to sell the 2012 BMW 3 Series and want to buy a car with comfortable seats like that of Innova. I had considered Fortuner and XUV 500 but the family outrightly rejected both the cars (size and looks being the reason).

I have shortlisted Mercedes B Class diesel since my father is comfortable with the seats. Do I have any other option in say 25-30 lac range? I checked X3 and it costs 48 lac on road (without considering discount) which is above the budget. Yearly running of the car would be 20,000-25,000 kms.

4-6 Airbags, ABS, Xenon lights, diesel engine and good ground clearance are other things we are considering.

(Not sure if the B-class fits in SUV category or sedan)
akshay81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:19   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes B Class - Any other option?

I didn't honestly find the B class seats to be comfortable enough at the back. They were grossly short on the under thigh support. The seating would be surely more at a height compared to the 3 series. Why don't you check out the X1, Q3 and the V40? The V40 in particular might interest you since you liked the seats of the B class.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:49   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
4-6 Airbags, ABS, Xenon lights, diesel engine and good ground clearance are other things we are considering.
You should test drive these aswell which is under 30lkh range
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Nissan Koleos

Last edited by brraj : 3rd December 2013 at 10:51.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:03   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have shortlisted Mercedes B Class diesel since my father is comfortable with the seats. Do I have any other option in say 25-30 lac range? I checked X3 and it costs 48 lac on road (without considering discount) which is above the budget. Yearly running of the car would be 20,000-25,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I didn't honestly find the B class seats to be comfortable enough at the back. They were grossly short on the under thigh support. The seating would be surely more at a height compared to the 3 series. Why don't you check out the X1, Q3 and the V40? The V40 in particular might interest you since you liked the seats of the B class.
Agreed with Mohit.

When I looked at the B class on the road, I thought it would be the perfect upgrade from the Altis for chauffeur driven rear seat comfort.

I called one for a TD with dad and came back very disappointed. The rear seats are horrible. There is no under thigh support at all with the seat base very short and the seat back is almost upright 90 degrees. You start feeling uncomfortable within a few minutes at the back.

What's even worse is that the rear seat backs are fixed and not reclineable only for India spec. Europe gets adjustable rear seat angle whereas for us it's set to the max upright angle.

In that category you will have to wait for the new Santa Fe from Hyundai or Look at Pajero Sports. Other option is to look at the Koleos which is decent but for the price the rear seat is cramped.
Old 7th December 2013, 23:05   #350
BHPian

Quote:
X1 we didn't like even at the time of buying 3 series. Volvo service is a bit of concern. So Q3 and B class are the only options left. Will be attending Mercedes star drive event in Pune tomorrow and may be then choose Q3 (still to get a quote on that one) or B class.

@vid6639

I like Santa FE but my brother doesn't. Pajero looks little outdated. I had the opportunity of travelling in koleos but I didn't like it - space wise and interiors.
Old 8th December 2013, 18:26   #351
Senior - BHPian

Akshay did you check out the new Captiva

It suits your needs pretty well
Old 8th December 2013, 18:51   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
X1 we didn't like even at the time of buying 3 series. Volvo service is a bit of concern. So Q3 and B class are the only options left. Will be attending Mercedes star drive event in Pune tomorrow and may be then choose Q3 (still to get a quote on that one) or B class.
When I was considering the Volvo a month back, I had talked to a lot of people including Volvo owners on the Forum and elsewhere. And everyone was of the opinion that Volvo service is quite good and the cars are much less prone for a failure or malfunction than the german trio. Also the servicing costs were slightly lesser. So If you have a Volvo outlet in your city then you can consider the V40. All I am saying is that do check it out before making your decision. When it comes to features and looks, it just leaves the competition far far behind. Audi and Mercedes will also not have dealerships in most tier 2 cities. So the service outlet part becomes pointless provided you have a Volvo dealer in your home town.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:16   #353
BHPian

Quote:
When I was considering the Volvo a month back, I had talked to a lot of people including Volvo owners on the Forum and elsewhere. And everyone was of the opinion that Volvo service is quite good and the cars are much less prone for a failure or malfunction than the german trio. Also the servicing costs were slightly lesser. So If you have a Volvo outlet in your city then you can consider the V40. All I am saying is that do check it out before making your decision. When it comes to features and looks, it just leaves the competition far far behind. Audi and Mercedes will also not have dealerships in most tier 2 cities. So the service outlet part becomes pointless provided you have a Volvo dealer in your home town.
Thanks for all your advice. I test drove the B-class at Mercedes Stardrive event in Pune today and was absolutely shocked with the poor quality of the car (seats, display, dash) and the engine considering you are paying 30lac for such a car. I think Skoda / VW provide better cars at lower price.

After using 3 series and the power that car gives you, B-class stands no chance against a 3 series or for that matter a Superb or Passat.

So with all your advice, I will be checking out the V40 before finalising any car. The car will be used mostly in Pune-Ahmednagar and there is a Volvo dealer in Pune.

Do you have any advice regarding Q3?

@himanshugoswami

We already own a Spark and are unhappy with the dealer. So skipping Chevrolet.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:43   #354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
X1 we didn't like even at the time of buying 3 series. Volvo service is a bit of concern. So Q3 and B class are the only options left.
Agree with what Mohit mentioned above. The Volvo V40 Cross Country is indeed a good option to consider, especially if you have a local dealership in your city.

Quote:
I like Santa FE but my brother doesn't.
Was the current Santa FE? Because the new one is yet to be launched in India, and its indeed a step-up from the current one. Probably worth to wait and check it out if you're not in a hurry.
Old 8th December 2013, 20:38   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My family is planning to sell the 2012 BMW 3 Series and want to buy a car with comfortable seats like that of Innova. I had considered Fortuner and XUV 500 but the family outrightly rejected both the cars (size and looks being the reason).

What about the Rexton Ssangyong? I just checked out their site which indicates a showroom price of a little over 21 lacs. Maybe worth a visit to their showroom for a test drive?
Old 8th December 2013, 22:44   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After using 3 series and the power that car gives you, B-class stands no chance against a 3 series or for that matter a Superb or Passat.

So with all your advice, I will be checking out the V40 before finalising any car. The car will be used mostly in Pune-Ahmednagar and there is a Volvo dealer in Pune.

Do you have any advice regarding Q3?
Akshay,

After the 3 series you will be literally downgrading buying any other car in terms of driving pleasure barring the 530d probably. So be prepared for that certain lag and less power and lesser handling abilities when compared to the 3 series.

My family including me, dad and sister are still not over the V40. It looks so gorgeous and unique and being a CBU the quality of material is top notch. Feature wise it has everything you can think of and then some.

I didn't really like the Q3. The interior space was not that great and the model which was decently loaded was priced way high. The sports edition that they have recently launched at some 26L ex-showroom price has not got the DRLs, ACC, folding ORVMs and some other such basic features that paying so much money just for Audi logo then doesn't make any sense.

The new Santa Fe is a capable car. You can wait for it certainly.

Infact if your dad didn't like the 3 series seating I doubt he will like the seating of any of these entry level premium cars including the V40. You are probably better off with a Passat/Accord/Camry or Santa Fe/Captiva kind of vehicles. The Rexton also is an excellent vehicle as suggested above but will have limited after sales support as all M&M outlets cannot service it and the quality is suspect at the workshops where they can service it. But the interior cabin of the Rexton looked really really premium and luxurious. Also the Rexton is strictly a 5 seater only and the last bench is useless.

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th December 2013 at 22:48.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 13:48   #357
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

To add a new angle and option,

You could wait for the new Superb due early next year? - Would be more comfortable and spacious that most of the listed options. Feel the new Santa Fe too will be a good option. It is significantly better than the current model.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:00   #358
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
To add a new angle and option,

You could wait for the new Superb due early next year? - Would be more comfortable and spacious that most of the listed options. Feel the new Santa Fe too will be a good option. It is significantly better than the current model.
The new Santa Fe does appear to be a lot more tough looking. what would be the key is the pricing.

Hyundai , from what I can see, have not been aggressive in pricing so far. I believe this will be launched in Feb at the Auto show.

This time should be interesting with this as well as the Mitsubishi outlander diesel being launched. I believe the new Endeavour is also supposed to come in by June .
Old 13th January 2014, 21:53   #359
BHPian

Checked a few cars recommended here and also the Freelander and the X3. Finally trying to convince him to buy the X3. We may have missed out on the enormous discount offered by BMW in Pune on the outgoing X3 version.
Old 13th January 2014, 23:56   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Checked a few cars recommended here and also the Freelander and the X3. Finally trying to convince him to buy the X3. We may have missed out on the enormous discount offered by BMW in Pune on the outgoing X3 version.
At that price range isn't the Volvo XC60 an option ? taller, wider and more ground clearance than the X3 with a much more powerful engine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks