Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 16:52   #496
D4D
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Try getting a pre-owned Japanese car. They have low maintenance costs and terrific reliability.
If you consider a petrol SUV(Suzuki Grand Vitara), bargain hard but be prepared to spend a lot for running.

Look for a Toyota Fortuner. It's your best bet.
Old 13th August 2014, 22:57   #497
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
O
A friend of mine, who is still managing to maintain a Peguot 309, is quite emphatic that Outlander spares are easily available in Mumbai. Will pick his brains in a couple of days for sources.
Thanks so much, looking forward to hearing about any possible sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Try getting a pre-owned Japanese car. They have low maintenance costs and terrific reliability.
If you consider a petrol SUV(Suzuki Grand Vitara), bargain hard but be prepared to spend a lot for running.

Look for a Toyota Fortuner. It's your best bet.
If GV was the option I ended up with I would CNG fit it I guess, cut down on running costs. And I have not had any significant issues with CNG fitting my civic.
The Fortuner would be awesome, but once again, the price is inhibitive.

There is a 2012 Ford Endeavour 4x4 3.0 AT, run 36000 kms, going for 13.25 L negotiable. The 2011 model has been sold already. I seem to keep finding Endeavours as opposed to other vehicles unfortunately.
Will be going to have a look at the car, but the consensus here seems that Ford Services are expensive, which is an issue for sure.
Old 13th August 2014, 23:36   #498
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query about an SUV, options and pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
While in the market still, a friend contacted me regarding a 2011 Ford 4x4 AT with 23000 odd kms on the odometer, sparingly used, going for 13.5 L or so. While it requires a fair bit of work on the interiors, the car seems to be in otherwise decent condition.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I am totally lost here, wondering if the Challenger makes sense, but it has 140k kms on it already, what about the spare parts?
The Ford seems like a smart choice but then it's a bit on the higher side and then it will require work too.

Thanks all and sorry for the muddled format of the post.
ANg
I picked up a 2010 Dec Ford Endeavour 4 X 4 AT run 19.8K kms for 14.5 Lakhs two years back (25 months now). It is a no nonsense SUV and I'm extremely happy with it. The maintenance of Ford is not as high as it is perceived and parts on the Endeavour are built to last. The AT its quite comfortable and driving inside the city is completely stress free.

As I own a pre-worshipped Endeavour, I would strongly recommend you to seal the deal.
Old 22nd August 2014, 03:23   #499
BHPian

Hey all,
It's been a few days since my last post, had a bit of a family thing going on. Happened to come upon an ad from someone in Team BHP itself, who is selling his Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed, Automatic 4x4 with 109,000 kms on the odometer for the price of 6.3 lakhs, negotiable.

I inspected the vehicle today, and it seems to be well used, though well maintained. However I do not know a lot about Pajeros, or even SUVs at all, and I would be taking a mechanic back with me to check the vehicle in a few days.

I was hoping for some advice in terms of what to look for. I am also worried about the engine life.
I seem to be all over the place in terms of picking a vehicle, but as I was telling someone via PM, so many options sometimes makes it so much more confusing.

Thanks again
Ang.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:57   #500
D4D
BHPian

I don't think engine life should be a problem.
Check suspensions, transmissions and all electronics.
Also, PM many pajero owners and ask where do they source spares from. Availability of spares maybe difficult.(Is it difficult in Bangalore I heard from a friend)
Old 23rd August 2014, 03:09   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I don't think engine life should be a problem.
Check suspensions, transmissions and all electronics.
Also, PM many pajero owners and ask where do they source spares from. Availability of spares maybe difficult.(Is it difficult in Bangalore I heard from a friend)
That's a brilliant idea actually. Any Pajero owners/enthusiasts on here reading this thread, kindly let me know if I can bother you with a few pms.
Thanks.

The gentleman informed me that sourcing spares isn't a problem and he knows someone who is very proficient at dealing with the servicing of Pajeros.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:56   #502
BHPian

Re: What MUV for self-driven urban nuclear family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Hi,

Now that my current car has been badly flood-damaged, I am beginning to look for a replacement.

Must Have:
  1. Front and side (curtain) airbags
Is there any thread that has a list of all the cars in India that come with front and side airbags for both the first and second row of seats?
Old 1st September 2014, 19:27   #503
D4D
BHPian

Re: What MUV for self-driven urban nuclear family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Is there any thread that has a list of all the cars in India that come with front and side airbags for both the first and second row of seats?
I don't know whether such a thread exists.

I was looking at the previous post you quoted from, you haven't mentioned the budget.
Look at Santa Fe and Mahindra XUV 500 have side airbags on some variants. Depending on which suits your requirement, but it.

The other car I can think of is maybe a Captiva or a Koleos.

BTW, there are a lot of sedans with side airbags. Eg: Octavia, Fluence, Elantra, Verna
Old 8th September 2014, 18:11   #504
BHPian

After a Lot of soul Searching , I have finally given away my Tucson after 4 years of pleasant ownership and fun driving
The Only Option I had was between the Fortuner (Brain Call) and the Santa Fe(Heart Call).
The Fortuner apart from having Toyota Badge did not tickle me at all and In Punjab and Chandigarh People were demanding 16 lakhs and Above for 2010 make versions. Finally I decided and I went ahead with my heart and Decided to a zero in on a used Santa Fe.
As usual , when one starts searching for a pre worshipped Hyundai SUV, it becomes a task and so it did. Some were with shady history and some were banged up and reloaded. I had to search among online ads, Dealers, and all Hyundai dealerships across the Punjab and Haryana Belt
I zeroed in on one beautiful example, was driven but the ODO Matched the service record, had no painted parts, and was within my range.
Finally , I have taken charge of my Santa Fe 2wd, 2011 80 K KMs on the ODO. and it is awesome. Belonged to an NRI returning to UK, Drives like a dream, has power on the tap of my feet and loves to rev.
Will post a detailed report by the weekend.

Last edited by rohitgaur : 8th September 2014 at 18:22.
Old 12th September 2014, 09:51   #505

Skoda finally announced the new Yeti a couple of days back. I have read some absolute horror stories on the Skoda dealership / after sales service! Though it does not tick the 7 seater criteria, it does tick all the safety essentials. And that is a huge thing for me.

Two things that are still a deterrent for me.
1.) I would have liked an automatic.
2.) As mentioned earlier, the horror stories.

Can do nothing about 1. But about 2, has there been a shift and more focus in attending to these issues from Skoda management? I am likely to purchase the new vehicle from Navi Mumbai (JMD is it?).

Also why is Skoda Yeti page showing 9 air bags when it only offers 6?

Regards,
Anoop
Old 16th September 2014, 22:09   #506
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopsaxena76 View Post
2.) As mentioned earlier, the horror stories.
If you're not sure, don't sign the cheque. There's no guarantee of improvement, although the Skoda management seems to focus a lot on. A step in the right direction, nevertheless.
Old 17th September 2014, 05:33   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
...If GV was the option I ended up with I would CNG fit it I guess, cut down on running costs.....There is a 2012 Ford Endeavour 4x4 3.0 AT, run 36000 kms, going for 13.25 L negotiable..
Consider this input as a Diesel vs Petrol argument. Not a plugin for GV which may make case even more compelling.

Comparing price of 13lacs for a diesel SUV and 8lacs for a Petrol one. Rs5lac saved means Rs5000 extra per month for fuel. More than compensate without having to look at CNG fitment.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:45   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Comparing price of 13lacs for a diesel SUV and 8lacs for a Petrol one. Rs5lac saved means Rs5000 extra per month for fuel. More than compensate without having to look at CNG fitment.
And even less of a fuel price difference, if the government gives in and reduces the diesel subsidy.
But, there's something to be careful about petrol driven SUVs - would they be equivalent in torque delivery- compared to their diesel cousins? What would that mean for the one-off situations when the vehicle climbing an uphill dirt-road/muddy road?
Old 20th September 2014, 11:11   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Consider this input as a Diesel vs Petrol argument. Not a plugin for GV which may make case even more compelling.

For a new car, this wont hold. Usually the apples-to-apples comparison gives us a max 1.5L difference on road.

Though its true that the value proposition offered by diesel cars is much diminished now. But diesel is a cleaner (greener) fuel & more torque implies fun to drive as well! Makes one feel good about the fuel efficiency, especially if you are numbers junkie like me!
Old 26th September 2014, 14:56   #510
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparing between the GV and Endy which are recently top queries feel the GV is a better deal overall as the seating comfort and driving position is better. Let's take spare cost to be identically higher than average and GV is a petrol but the cost of owning one would be much lesser. The Endy does have the advantage and disadvantage of size a people won't move as side for the GV as often as for the Endy.

Most Viewed