Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 13:30   #511
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

After 4 years of driving the Hyundai Tucson & 126k kms on the odo,
We had immense fun and long journeys in the old faithful.
But the time had come to change the wheels and what else could replace 2 lts 120 bhp.

We have upgraded to the Arabian horse from the Korean Stable, its 2.2 lts
200 Bhp & its a pre worshipped 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe
And Yes this pig does fly,and yeah that is a super premium number.
The reasons are Simple, Car like feel in a seven seater , 2.2 Litre , 200 Bhp Beast. It revs like a beast, has awesome pickup and when I compared it to the Tfort: Apart from the resale value Toyota commands, nothing lured me there and I went on searching.The dealers said no to the idea, My Brother (Who Works with Renault) advised strongly against it.and one fine day,During my search, one of the Hyundai sales guys whom I talked to while looking for Dad's i 20 told me about a very well maintained Santa Fe bearing the Number PIG 29. The Service record was Checked and double checked.
Have added the following
  • Dapic Navigation Touch Music System (For the sake of Bluetooth and Reverse Cam)
  • Autocop Track Pro
  • Sumitomo 255/55/R18 Tyres
  • And some small goodies and
  • of course the Compulsary Deity Pics
What I like:

• Substantial size and presence. Great styling too
• Powerful & refined 200 BHP diesel engine, Very Silent too
• Absorbent ride comfort matched to safe & predictable dynamics
• Fresh, high-quality interiors with comfortable seats
• Expansive feature list (xenon headlamps, selectable steering modes, dual-zone climate control etc.)
• 5-star safety rating. Equipment includes 6 airbags, ABS & EBD, ESP & TCS, hill start assist and more
• Hyundai's reliability and fuss-free ownership experience

I have driven a 1000 Km Circuit of Punjab doing Chandigarh-Ludhiana-Bathinda-Amritsar-Jallandhar-Ludhiana-Khanna-Sirhind-Chandigarh (We bankers now go to temples and pray for the Financial Well being of Clients)
Post that we did a road show of 350 kms covering 36 villages in Ambala for my Aunt's election nomination

What a Ride and I enjoyed the Zip, Zoom and The Feel of the Car, Definetely a Deserving upgrade from the Tuc. Did not feel tired even a bit and the feel is awesome, its stable big and comfortable
  • The Fuel lever is near the armrest of the Driver door
  • The Centre console is cooling capable
  • the last row seats fold flat and are good enough for a sub 6 foot person
Attached Thumbnails
Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-10395172_10204713553869533_1528417060600062518_n.jpg  

Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-10520849_10204713554309544_5053173412584700290_n.jpg  

Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-10334277_10204713492828007_1225192479201855285_n.jpg  

Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-10624982_10204713492668003_3584604176333999403_n.jpg  

rohitgaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:27   #512
BHPian

Which pre-worshipped weekend SUV as second car

Friends

I searched the forum but could not locate my specific query. Apologies for creating additional threads if similar question asked already.

I am currently driving a 2012 i20 Asta crdi in Gurgaon for my office commute and city errands. Very happy and satisfied with the comfort, features, driving, power and overall practicality of the i20 as a city car. Have taken out the car for multiple highway trips from Gurgaon to Alwar / Chandigarh with no problems at all.

Recently on a trip to Mussorie, I was faced with the inability of the i20 to manage the typical Indian highways with comfort. I plan to travel extensively on weekend trips / vacation trips to various places in North India without having to worry about how the car would take to the roads.

I am looking at buying a pre worshipped SUV for the various weekend and vacation trips with friends and family. Some points

- I am tall and hence, looking for only a SUV / cross over
- After sales should be non problematic
- Not brand conscious
- Wont take the car for off-roading
- Budget between 7 lakhs to 12 lakhs
- Not necessarily need a 7 seater. 5 seater would just be fine
- No parking constraints
- Ride comfort is of utmost importance
- I am a sucker for well refined cars, hence, no gurkhas or thars

Looking forward to help from the fellow member experts
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:44   #513
BHPian

Re: Which pre-worshipped weekend SUV as second car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
wordsworth,
Why buy a preowned car when you could buy a new one. Have look at the Duster & Terrano. The Duster is priced lower, fits perfectly in your budget and there is a recently launched AWD version too if you plan on taking the car offroad in the future.

However if you want to save some money look for Used Dusters which has low run on it, there would be plenty dusters in the used market.
There is also the option of a preowned captiva however I would not suggest that since Chevrolet After sales service is below average and any captiva at that price bracket would have high kms 50,000+ , hence it doesn't make sense to buy a captiva.
I would also not suggest the endeavor or the fortuner either as the ride quality is horrible due to the ladder on frame chassis and they too would have high kms at that price bracket. You could also look at used CRV's since they go dirt cheap, are awfully reliable, comfortable and spacious at the same time, plus they have an AWD version too.

Last edited by Y@SH : 8th October 2014 at 19:50.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:51   #514
BHPian

Thanks Y@SH

I saw the duster 4X4 recently and liked the subtle changes made to the interiors though the car is not yet available for a test drive. I am though, still not a fan of the interior quality and rear bench space.

As rightly mentioned by you, I was also looking at a used CRV AWD. I love the interior packaging and quality. However, I am a bit iffy on the after sales for a 5-7 year old CRV. Also, do you think that the CRV would be a comfortable cruiser on the bad Indian highways?

Also, how would you rate a Outlander and Vitara against the CRV

Thanks in advance

Last edited by wordsworth : 8th October 2014 at 19:56. Reason: Addition of point
Old 8th October 2014, 20:01   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Y@SH

I saw the duster 4X4 recently and liked the subtle changes made to the interiors though the car is not yet available for a test drive. I am though, still not a fan of the interior quality and rear bench space.

As rightly mentioned by you, I was also looking at a used CRV AWD. I love the interior packaging and quality. However, I am a bit iffy on the after sales for a 5-7 year old CRV. Also, do you think that the CRV would be a comfortable cruiser on the bad Indian highways?
Thanks in advance
Agree with you on the Duster's interiors, it doest look like a notch below the segment. Also add to your list the Ford Ecosport Preowned and New both, I guess no one can match Ford's handling and ride amongst the others. Ford's are known for how well they handle. Have you taken a TD of the ecosport yet?

As fas as I think, if you find a CRV that is maintained well, serviced regularly and is single owner there shouldn't be a problem with the car itself. Talking about Honda's A.s.s they do have excellent after sales service its on par with toyota, if not better. I have no experience on driving the outgoing CRV hence wouldn't comment, I have only sat in one and it was pretty spacious and the interiors seemed good.

The Outlander is an excellent car but A.S.S is horrible with mitsubishi having least dealers in India. Also sourcing the car's spare parts would be an issue and the price of the spare parts would also be pretty high.

Last edited by Y@SH : 8th October 2014 at 20:05.
Old 8th October 2014, 20:04   #516
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

I am looking at buying a pre worshipped SUV for the various weekend and vacation trips with friends and family. Some points

- I am tall and hence, looking for only a SUV / cross over
- After sales should be non problematic
- Not brand conscious
- Wont take the car for off-roading
- Budget between 7 lakhs to 12 lakhs
- Not necessarily need a 7 seater. 5 seater would just be fine
- No parking constraints
- Ride comfort is of utmost importance
- I am a sucker for well refined cars, hence, no gurkhas or thars

7-12 lakh is a good bracket to look for a new SUV itself. Also there are many MUVs on offer too.
  • Innova:(pre-owned)MUV, but the best bet IMHO. Ticks all your boxes, except for parking and good refinement(diesel only). It's long. Refinement is okay, but the car is noise above 90 kmph and intolerable over 110 kmph.
  • Duster:(New) Good car, checks all your boxes, except for Aftersales. This is completely region dependent. Some members have found Renaults ASS ok. Refinement will certainly not be close to i20s.
  • Mobilio(New): Good car, but might not impress you with refinement(Diesel). Has a 189mm GC.(Innova: 176mm; Duster: 200mm) Pick the i-VTEC. With a power-to-weight ratio of 103 bhp/tonne, it's F-A-S-T.
  • Alternately, Ertiga will do fine too.
  • You could look at ecosport, but it'll be cramped for sure.
  • Fortuner is good, but I don't think it'll land in your budget and it has a bumpy ride quality.
  • Would not suggest Pajero, Endeavour, Captiva etc. You are better off buying a new car than using these old ones.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 20:10   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Agree with you on the Duster's interiors, it doest look like a notch below the segment. Also add to your list the Ford Ecosport Preowned and New both, I guess no one can match Ford's handling and ride amongst the others. Ford's are known for how well they handle. Have you taken a TD of the ecosport yet?

As fas as I think, if you find a CRV that is maintained well, serviced regularly and is single owner there shouldn't be a problem with the car itself. Talking about Honda's A.s.s they do have excellent after sales service its on par with toyota, if not better. I have no experience on driving the outgoing CRV hence wouldn't comment, I have only sat in one and it was pretty spacious and the interiors seemed good.

The Outlander is an excellent car but A.S.S is horrible with mitsubishi having least dealers in India. Also sourcing the car's spare parts would be an issue and the price of the spare parts would also be pretty high.
Have not test driven the ecosport. I find it a bit cramped. I am looking for a spacious car as we are a family of tall people !
Agree with you on the Outlander. I was only looking at it since one of my colleague owns it and is looking at selling it. However, after sales scares me!
Old 8th October 2014, 20:17   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
wordsworth,
Why buy a preowned car when you could buy a new one.
Wordsworth, I kind of agree with Y@SH and would suggest to put down your hard earned moolah on a new machine which could give you trouble-free ownership and you can enjoy the car without thinking if the second hand car will just go that extra mile or not on your weekend trips.

I was in the market for second-hand SUVs myself sometime back but I dropped the idea because it's very hard to come across a "PRE-WORSHIPED" machine than a "PRE-OWNED" one.

We need to understand that SUV owners like to drive their machines "enthusiastically"; not saying that they won't maintain it. It won't be a cakewalk is all I'm saying.
Old 8th October 2014, 20:34   #519
BHPian

Your requirement with my order of preference : )

1. petrol innova (pre worshipped)
2. diesel innova (pre worshipped)
3. petrol qualis (pre worshipped)
4. petrol mobilio (new)
5. ertiga petrol (new)
Old 8th October 2014, 21:04   #520
BHPian

I would have suggested a Pajero or a Yeti - but given that you are not willing to put up with shoddy A.S.S and you own a Hyundai - try and find a 2011 santa fe (it might end up stretching your budget slightly though.)
Side Note: I bought a pre-worshipped Skoda Yeti in March, have clocked nearly 20k km, service has been way better than I expected (touchwood) and no real trouble atleast so far (fingers crossed)
Old 8th October 2014, 21:17   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Wouldn't a new Tata Safari land slap bang in this budget?
Amply capable, and the new interiors are well put together too.
Old 8th October 2014, 21:29   #522
BHPian

I second mayankk. Safari would be a good choice. And the Scorpio has an engine worth checking out. I guess it's good enough for five passengers. Crv has low mileage doesn't it? You'd spend quite alot on long distance trips.
Always better to go for a new vehicle for the peace of mind. The innova is supremely comfortable, but the gearing isn't right for the highways.
Does a second hand XUV make sense by the way?
Old 8th October 2014, 21:31   #523
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Wouldn't a new Tata Safari land slap bang in this budget?
Amply capable, and the new interiors are well put together too.
Since he's not worried about 7 seats, why buy a safari?
All he needs is a spacious 5 seater, so Duster woulo do just fine.

Duster has fuel economy, power, and maintenance(not that Safari isn't good in the area, but Duster is leagues ahead in the other two) going for it.
Old 8th October 2014, 21:53   #524
BHPian

I think since you have a budget of 12 lakh, simply go and get a new Innova with captain seats. It ticks most of your criteria perfectly. Moreover you don't have to buy a second hand car either. The ride comfort will be unmatched for sure.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:03   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently on a trip to Mussorie, I was faced with the inability of the i20 to manage the typical Indian highways with comfort. I plan to travel extensively on weekend trips / vacation trips to various places in North India without having to worry about how the car would take to the roads.
Help me here. Please explain further what you mean by inability to manage typical highways with comfort. Most BHPians do NOT drive an SUV and manage just fine.

If you can pinpoint the specific itch you wish to scratch, you will get better advise and a solution to your issue, not just advise on buying an SUV that you may not really need.

Unless its a pure heart decision and you just want an SUV - in which case buy whichever one makes your heart skip a beat. or two.

/my swift did 33k in the first year on the same roads. Only now in its sixth year and almost 120k up, and with a kid, do we feel the need for more "space". But I am happy with the car otherwise. It has the peace of mind to take up overnight 500-600km drives without skipping a beat.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks