Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 13:46   #46

Hi, we were in the same dilemma 3 months back, finally booked the Fortuner.

Captiva has a sedan like driving experience but family completely rejected it because no seating space in the last row; ac ducts are not present even in the middle row-forget the last row; Chevrolet maintenance costs are supremely high. As the only driver in the family, I was more keen for the Captiva because of its smooth handling.

Fortuner comprehensively beats the Captiva on the above 3 parameters + more; recently got the delivery of Fortuner and its a pleasure to drive and handle. No regrets on buying Fortuner over Captiva.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers!
Old 27th September 2010, 14:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Folks.

Looking forward to buy our first SUV!

The reason we want a SUV: it pretty much sums it up for us in one line - the conditions of the roads traveled over the country.

I've done around 1,10,000 km so far with the octy, (and even today the engine purrs like she's in her prime!), all across the country, from Delhi, Rajashtan & Gujrat to Cochin, Bangalore, Chennai & Hyderabad in the south.

With such extensive travels we thought we've had our share of bad roads (be it state highways or country roads), and now we want a car that gives us an assurance that the roads will not be much of a bother.

To sum up our needs,
1. 7 seater
2. Soft roader AWD (we're not rock climbing here!)
3. Not a guzzler
4. Good VFM
5. Performer

Been in quite a Dilemma over the last week about what car to buy.

The contenders for the 20 Lakh SUV were Endeavour, Pajero, Captiva & the Fortuner. After a lot of introspection and reading, we got down to the final two.

During the lead up to the final, came across the pros and cons of both the vehicles - interiors, mileage, resale value, A.S.S., spares, road presence, etc.

Looked up on T-BHP for such a thread - the Fortuner Vs Captiva, but found none.

At the end of the day am still in a perplexed state of mind.

I seek advise from fellow T-BHPians, Mods & experts; to throw some light on how a better choice can be made between the two.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
Check here for comparitive notes

Chevrolet Captiva Comparison, Compare Chevrolet Captiva with Other Brands

There are hoards ofcomparison charts available on the net. Just google it.

In my books the Fortuner is a much better Vehicle for you. It is as well priced as the Captiva with higher torque and output. Its a 3.0 litre as compared to the 2.2 ltr Captiva. The interiors of the Fortuner could be a tad better, they remind one of the Innova, but then thats the way i guess the company is keeping their price down. In the looks dept also the Fortuner takes the cake. Its rear seats are also more comfortable than the Captiva. Not that the Captiva is any less capable but if you see from the point og goodies and pure VFM, the Fortuner is more car for your money and will positively hold its value better than the Captiva for sure.

The Fortuner is an AWD with a Low - High transfer case which i dont think the Captiva has, if it does, i stand corrected. In any case

One suggestion, if you are not looking for a hard core 4x4, as i can see in your post that you are looking for comfort while travelling, why not just go in for the Innova? it can handle the rough country roads as well as eats the highways for breakfast.

Great comfort at less than half the price. Think about it, do you really need a 4WD??
Old 27th September 2010, 15:13   #48
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually between the Fortuner and the Captiva it is a close fight due to the diverse needs that they meet.

Automatic : 10/10 Captiva, 0/10 fortuner. Captiva is the only option - but you have not mentioned that as a requirement, the Captiva AT is much better than the MT in power delivery so if you do buy a Captiva then try to make it the AT, and if you are not comfortable with At then fortuner is automatically selected.
Features: Captiva 9/10, Fortuner 6/10 - Fortuner has all the basic essential, but does not pamper us the way the captiva does.
Looks: Fortuner 9/10, Captiva 8/10, the Fortuner has truly butch looks, but the captiva is also good looking.
Resale (Value): Fortuner 9/10, Captiva 7/10 - Fortuner being a Toyota in great demand will have superb resale value vs the captiva.
Value (Features): Captiva 8/10, Fortuner 6/10 - Here we are talking about what one gets in the car.
Value (Maintenance): Fortuner 9/10, Captiva 7/10 - just basing it on the reliability aspect.
Value (Fuel effeciency): Fortuner=Captiva=8/10 Both are ok - Both are diesels.
Soft Roading and highway handling: Captiva=9/10 Fortuner=7/10 The Captiva braking and ride and road manners are much better, as it is a soft roader while Fortuner is a typical ladder on frame chassis.
In a low speed city scrapy situation fortuner would come off better.

Try our both, see which is more comfortable for you to drive and go for that one.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 15:20   #49
BHPian

Hii, actualy comparing the two SUVs in question head to head is not right as both have entirely different character as one is ladder chassis and the other is a monocoque chassis where fortuner excells in hardcore offroading the captiva excells in comfort levels which are second to none. The road manners of captiva are excelent and you dont feel any humps or potholes sitting in the supremely comfortable seats of the captiva. The fortuner will not leave you stranded on the road if a meteor hit the road in front of you it will gallop through any thing you throw at it.

The captiva will give you a fuel economy of 10kmpl in the city and 11.5kmpl on the highway , the fortuner will not give you more than 9.5kmpl any which way you drive it.

the service cost is more or less same for both the vehicles as both use synthetic oil which means every 15000 km around rs6000 to 8000.
The interiors of both the vehicles have excellent fit and finish, captiva's interior though looks more upmarket i.e. befitting a 20lakh vehicle, the fortuner interior looks a bit more like the innova, if we over look that, then it is good too.

PS I have drive a captiva and an endeavour
Old 27th September 2010, 15:23   #50
BANNED

I TDed the Captiva yesterday and the Fortuner a couple of weeks ago. The reason I chose the Fortuner over the Captiva(though not yet booked due to Vit M shortage) are as under:

1. The price difference between the two is not very high but I get the following additional features in the Fortuner.
a. All rows have ac.
b. Decent space in the last row for 2-3 people.
c. Air conditioning on all the rows.
d. Higher ground clearance not only for off roading but also for sudden notorious speed breakers on our highways and cities.
e. A full time AWD coupled with a 4wd transmission.
f. Better fit and finish.
g. Sturdier build (I intend to keep it for life).
This apart, I found the following more appealing:
2. Toyota name and reliability.
3. Low service costs.
4. Higher resale value, if, God forbid I need to sell it.
5. Proven performance and reliability worldwide.

Take your pick, and tell us what you booked.

PS: One point I d like to highlight here. I have TDed the Endy, the Captiva, the XTrail and the T-Fort. The T-Fort was the cleanest TD vehicle, with the most courteous and knowledgeable staff and somehow, offered me a very relaxed TD ambience compared to all the others.
Old 27th September 2010, 15:34   #51
BHPian

points you mentioned
interiors
fortuner would be more spacious have not plonked my self into the chevy so cant comment about interiors
mileage
both are diesels so not much to ponder over
resale value
fortuner any day
A.S.S.
very subjective and varies from dealer to dealer, but both have a decent network
spares
fortuner should be slightly cheaper
road presence
fortuner any day

why to buy a chevy
smooth handling, very convenient in the city where i am sure it will spend a bulk of its time and parking should be a piece of cake

why to buy a fortuner
space, road presence, better resale, better off-road capabilities

point to note, i find the fortuner's second row a little low in height which does not give me sufficient underthigh support (please do compare that with the chevy as it is very important that the whole thigh is supported on a long drive to avoid a sore bum at the end of the day) it may sound stupid but it is important. the front seats of the fortuner overcome this defficiency with an upward tilt of the cushioning and are satisfactory.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner can be made much more luxurious by putting good leather seats (Stanley/Karlsson) and upgrading ICE (including a nice HU).

It comes down to the usage profile - whether you prefer tough/utilitarian vs. comfort/sedan like handling. We had - on another thread - a big debate on Fortuner vs. Outlander. Perhaps you should check it out (filtering the 5 seat/petrol characteristics of the Outie).
Old 28th September 2010, 15:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the santa fe coming october first week. lavishly equipped, 2.2 194 bhp diesel priced below 22 L. All the requirements it will fit to the T.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Wait for the santa fe coming october first week. lavishly equipped, 2.2 194 bhp diesel priced below 22 L. All the requirements it will fit to the T.
Ex showroom or OTR???
Old 28th September 2010, 15:59   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The Santa-Fe is expected at a Ex-Showroom price of ~22L Rupees. This is much much higher than what the Captiva comes for today. I would never pick the dated Santa-Fe at this price, Especially when the Captiva which is available for lot less.

Remember the Santa-Fe might have a very powerful engine but its not an driver's car plus it cannot go off-the road. Instead i would pick either Outlander/CRV for the dynamics and driving pleasure, Captiva for VFM and Fortuner/Endeavour for their ability to take abuse and go off-road.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th September 2010 at 16:22.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:16   #56
Team-BHP Support

Any update about the Pajero Sports? As per ACI, wasn't it supposed to be launched in October?
Old 29th September 2010, 11:14   #57
BANNED

Given Mitsubishi's lacklustre attitude towards India, I doubt if it will hit our shores before Mar-2011.

And of course, I expect the price to be a shock too.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:38   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Fortuner is excellent with full time 4WD. I love its purposeful, solid looks too. Toyota brand really makes for peace of mind as well.

Personally I have a concern on Captiva because it works on Front Wheel Drive in the 2WD version. Plus the looks are a bit poseur-ish.

Endy is a bit outdated now plus it is rather too big - hence I would not choose it.

But Dev - do tell me, what happens to your Scorpio which you just bought quite recently? Are you chucking it?

Of course I did read you are buzzing off to Bombay etc. Whats up? PM me when able.
Cheers

Shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I TDed the Captiva yesterday and the Fortuner a couple of weeks ago. The reason I chose the Fortuner over the Captiva(though not yet booked due to Vit M shortage) are as under:

1. The price difference between the two is not very high but I get the following additional features in the Fortuner.
a. All rows have ac.
b. Decent space in the last row for 2-3 people.
c. Air conditioning on all the rows.
d. Higher ground clearance not only for off roading but also for sudden notorious speed breakers on our highways and cities.
e. A full time AWD coupled with a 4wd transmission.
f. Better fit and finish.
g. Sturdier build (I intend to keep it for life).
This apart, I found the following more appealing:
2. Toyota name and reliability.
3. Low service costs.
4. Higher resale value, if, God forbid I need to sell it.
5. Proven performance and reliability worldwide.

Take your pick, and tell us what you booked.

PS: One point I d like to highlight here. I have TDed the Endy, the Captiva, the XTrail and the T-Fort. The T-Fort was the cleanest TD vehicle, with the most courteous and knowledgeable staff and somehow, offered me a very relaxed TD ambience compared to all the others.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:48   #59
BHPian

Check out the new Endy, it's a beautiful beast, and totally worth the money compared to any of the other SUVs - especially if you look at ease of driving, interior luxury, the road presence and it's capabilities off and on the road.

For a complete review and updates over the last 5 months I have owned it, check my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-3-0l-4x4.html

Of course, I can be accused of being a little biased towards the Fords, and I admit, sometimes, I do envy the Fortuner for its looks.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:53   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fortuner is excellent with full time 4WD. I love its purposeful, solid looks too. Toyota brand really makes for peace of mind as well.
Very well summed up Shankar.
Relocating to Bombay, yes, for at least a year due to office compulsions and work.
Buying a T-Fort, well, that is the aspiration, but not immediately since I cannot afford it.
I am completely satisfied with Hariya at this point of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks