Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 13:17   #1
BHPian

Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe

This is my first post...

There is a lot of information here, and while I love reading each of them, but I am confused. I need inputs on which of the two to go for... Endeavour 3.0 4WD AT or Pajero or Captiva Xtreme MT.

So, some statistics which will help you suggest...

1. Staying at Navi Mumbai; Working out of Worli, Mumbai... 90kms run everyday. Half flyway traffic, and half super-crawling traffic.
2. Always dreamt of owning a 4WD SUV since learnt driving in a Nissan Patrol (Jonga).
3. Hate pressing pedals.
4. Decent driver (current Logan gives me a regular 21KPL on deisel).
5. Weekend drives take us to Lonavala (100kms return trip).
6. Used to be an off-roader 'once upon a time'; have been keeping the beast in dormancy.
7. 3-4 times in a year we do sorta long trips (~1000kms).
8. Want to scre the stars out of others who would share the road with me.
9. Want something in Black Color.
10. Max occupancy - 4 adults & 2 brats; Min. occupancy - 1 adult
11. Don't want to get killed by the mileage

Please ask me questions, if any, but please give me some advice.

Intend to buy in the next one month.
Paco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

The other two do not have the road presence of the Black Endy. Neither if them will allow you to do much off-roading apart from bad-roading. So, what's the difference! Go for the Endy.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why Captiva MT? I suggest you get a Captiva AT, it best suits your needs.
The Endeavour has a horrid suspension, if you prefer being chauffeured around then get the Fortuner.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

i think you will be just fine with Black Endy 4x4 AT, forget Fortuner if you dont want to wait for 6 months at least.

New Endy is a rocket with consistent 10-12 kmpl of mileage and a refined AT box and lots of addons like built in SATNAV etc etc.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:57   #5
BHPian

the endeavour is pathetic off road, the paj is great but a generation or two behind and not suited for your needs (lethargic motor, no AT, etc). No idea about the captiva but i think itll be your best bet, its pretty fast and comfy too and not as heavy on the tyres as the endy.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:03   #6
BANNED

The ford Endeavor has the presence and the power to satiate your needs though it might not be the best offroader. Plus you also save a bunch of moolah to supply the beasts fuel demands.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
i think you will be just fine with Black Endy 4x4 AT, forget Fortuner if you dont want to wait for 6 months at least.

New Endy is a rocket with consistent 10-12 kmpl of mileage and a refined AT box and lots of addons like built in SATNAV etc etc.
Thx... The Black Endy 3.0 with Hurricane graphics is enviable indeed. But does the AT box return a 10-12 mileage in city? WoW!
Old 11th May 2010, 10:40   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You drive nearly a 100 kms each day, a lot of which includes bumper to bumper traffic. The Captiva AT is best suited for you. Its quick, even with the automatic, and has the best interiors of this bunch. For your long outstation drives, its a decent expressway cruiser too. The Pajero is simply too outdated now, while the Endeavour's ride quality will break your bones.

Note that neither the Captiva nor the Endeavour are off-roaders per se. Its best to buy a (separate) Jeep / Gypsy if you intend to go four-wheeling.

For a quick summary of each of these SUVs, check our TestDrive section out
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 11:15   #9
BHPian

As others have also suggested I would also recommend you a Captiva AT. It has the best interior in this class and you would find seating comfort (esp if you are tall) to be better (compared to Pajero, Endy and Fortuner).

The only downsides I can think of are:
1. Resale value
2. A.S.S
3. Only one year warranty
4. Better options might be available later in the year if you can afford to wait for a few months.

Otherwise this car overall is a good package.
entropy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 13:16   #10
evo
BHPian

Driving 90 KM a day in the city means that you need the nice interiors and the ease of driving that a slightly road biased SUV gives. And the Captiva Auto is the only road biased vehicle from amongst your list.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Compared to the current breed of SUV's sold here Pajero is outdated, underpowered and too expensive for what it offers.

If you are too much inclined towards comfort and your driving will be based on good roads the Captiva AT will suit your needs best. The Performance is excellent, FE good and Interiors are best amongst all the cars listed here.

Endeavour also feels dated but has a very nice Engine with decent Automatic gearbox, you can it off the road too when required. Diesel economy is an added bonus. But the Ride is bumpy at rear and low set seats are not very comfortable.

You may also like to consider the popular Fortuner, it does not come with a AT option but is a very good allrounder.

Links:
My ownership report on Fortuner - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

My Testdrive of Endeavour - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 14:17   #12
Muzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
This is my first post...

There is a lot of information here, and while I love reading each of them, but I am confused. I need inputs on which of the two to go for... Endeavour 3.0 4WD AT or Pajero or Captiva Xtreme MT.

So, some statistics which will help you suggest...

1. Staying at Navi Mumbai; Working out of Worli, Mumbai... 90kms run everyday. Half flyway traffic, and half super-crawling traffic.
2. Always dreamt of owning a 4WD SUV since learnt driving in a Nissan Patrol (Jonga).
3. Hate pressing pedals.
4. Decent driver (current Logan gives me a regular 21KPL on deisel).
5. Weekend drives take us to Lonavala (100kms return trip).
6. Used to be an off-roader 'once upon a time'; have been keeping the beast in dormancy.
7. 3-4 times in a year we do sorta long trips (~1000kms).
8. Want to scre the stars out of others who would share the road with me.
9. Want something in Black Color.
10. Max occupancy - 4 adults & 2 brats; Min. occupancy - 1 adult
11. Don't want to get killed by the mileage

Please ask me questions, if any, but please give me some advice.

Intend to buy in the next one month.
are you originally from NOIDA?

anyway you have to take out Pajero from your list because its a 15 year old vehicle still be sold to fool people in india and take out their hard earned $$$!

of the other two, buy FORD!

STAY AWAY FROM PAJERO!
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 14:20   #13
BHPian

you could consider the outlander in lieu of the pajero, its with several new goodies like rockford fosgate audio, better interiors and AT as well, FE needs to be assessed from a full-on review on forum here. Pricing should match up to the AT captiva..
Old 19th May 2010, 20:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have a lot of respect for the Pajero. However, I feel that it is too dated a platform by today's standards and HM/Mitsu India is flogging this horse for way too much money. It should be atleast 5 lakhs cheaper than it's current price to make sense in today's market. Buy a Pajero only if you are a die hard Mitsu fan, else Captiva AT, Endy and Fortuner make better choices.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:34   #15
BHPian

4x4 Endy, you'll not regret it. The black Endy with the Hurricane graphics looks simply stunning, guaranteed to scare everyone else off the road. With AT, driving is a breeze. Mine hasn't even got to 1 month, and I am already getting 8 kmpl of Diesel, and I guess it'll only get better. I have done top speeds of 170, with a full load of 8 passengers, and it's simply wonderful. We've done a couple of Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips, one each to Lavasa, Sinhagad and Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar, and it's such a beautiful experience. Within the city, the Endy's commanding presence makes driving so stressless. And the in-dash DVD cum MP3 cum Sat Nav cum rear camera cum Bluetooth phone is just wayyy too good.

Fortuner doesnt have AT, so rule it out. Captiva won't scare anyone. Pajera looks dated.

Go for the black Endy, and welcome to the family

Most Viewed