Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:59   #16
BANNED

Re: Dilemma : BMW X1 versus Godzilla Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. I'd also highly recommend you to check out the Outlander. It seems well suited to your needs. Drives like a sedan, looks like an SUV. Its feature list will make the X1 Corporate Ed look bare naked.
Precisely what I was recommending. Take a TD and I m pretty sure you ll like it, at least as a contender.

And, TDs are free of cost as well.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:16   #17
BHPian

Why exactly is is every one recommending the BMW maintenance package.
Even if the X1 is with a 2 year unlimited km warranty.

At this point in time am not looking at taking up the 5 year BMW maintenance package.

The outlander simply because its a Petrol. i like/ prefer the lower end torque of a diesel.
and the Mitsubishi service scarcity.

Can't afford the mileage of the Mitsu, the claimed mileage of the X1 seem more attractive

Last edited by abishek2222 : 3rd January 2011 at 17:25.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:24   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
First time German car owner? . Well, only time will reveal.

Seriously, one of the MAIN reasons to buy a BMW over a Mercedes is that 5 year bumper-to-bumper maintenance package.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First time German car owner? . Well, only time will reveal.

Seriously, one of the MAIN reasons to buy a BMW over a Mercedes is that 5 year bumper-to-bumper maintenance package.

Please don't be cryptic.and put me into trouble.
What am i getting into, could you be a tad bit more elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I am going to get a bit tangential here and offer almost no help to your dilemma.

I have seen a couple of X1's up & close, and it clearly is not a SUV.

BUT at least categorize the car right...

Well you neglected to note that i mentioned the X1 is at best an estate not an Suv
"BMW estate for practical reasons badged as an baby suv/ crossover"

Last edited by abishek2222 : 3rd January 2011 at 17:38.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:32   #20
BHPian

I am going to get a bit tangential here and offer almost no help to your dilemma.

If you notice in the Automotive press (magazines, et al), the X1 is being branded as an SUV, which in a long shot, it is not. At best, the X1 could be called a soft roader. Left at my own devices, I'd call it a partial station wagon. Now before I get shot down, I have seen a couple of X1's up & close, and it clearly is not a SUV.

Maybe BMW is not doing this with intent, but they are having a field day with people perceiving it as a SUV. OK agreed that @ 22.x lakhs (ex-showroom) this is a bargain hard to resist. BUT at least categorize the car right...
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Well although we all swear by german reliability all the time, its not the case anymore. There are numerous threads on the forum on Bmw and Mercedes having troubles crop up every now and then. A good example will be Taranonline's thread on his 320CE. Within 6 months he has got so many niggles in the car. The thing is every car can have problems but the servicing costs of a BMW and Toyota (the other contender here) differ a lot. Without the BSI you will end up spending a lot of moolah on the servicing of your car if a problem crops up. The electricals of the BMW are most prone for failing in the car.

Also you mentioned re-sale vale in one of your post. If re-sale is on your ind then I would suggest the Fortuner.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:

At this point in time am not looking at taking up the 5 year BMW maintenance package.

The outlander simply because its a Petrol. i like/ prefer the lower end torque of a diesel.

Can't afford the mileage of the Mitsu, the claimed mileage of the X1 seem more attractive
As everyone says, the service costs for a BMW are pretty much on the higher side. But once you have the BSI, it is pure peace of mind.

Been to the BMW showroom today and I must admit that the looks just grows on you with time. There was a shade named Marekish Brown and it looked fab.

Since you were mentioning the economy figures, I thought this would be helpful. Something, I found on the idrive of the demo car
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma : BMW X1 versus Toyota Fortuner-03012011556.jpg  

Last edited by RSBlue : 3rd January 2011 at 21:20.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:54   #23
BHPian

Well am stretching from the Fortuner,don't think i would be able to afford the BSI right now..sales rep says it can be taken at the end of 2 years also
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well am stretching from the Fortuner,don't think i would be able to afford the BSI right now..sales rep says it can be taken at the end of 2 years also
Can you confirm that with the sales rep. What he is suggesting is at the end of 2 years of this warranty you can then buy the 5 year BSI plan? Well in that case effectively you stay worry free for the next 7 years right? I think thats a fab offer then. Just go for the X1 then. BMW clearly has a winner on its hands if this is true.

Can you ask them the BSI rates for X1? Is it the same for the 3 series sedan?
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:00   #25
BHPian

If you want luxury with offroad capabilities look into the outlander it really isnt bad, but honestly the fortuner is really a great car for india. I own one as a second car and I love the road presence. In my pick I would chose a fortuner

Bro dont get the x1 man its too girly, I don't look at it as a mans car, in my views its a car for your wife who get driven around in. Yes the features are good, and the mileage is good but do you really want to lose your man card (just kidding)? just my 2 cents bro good luck with whatever decison you make.

Note From Team Bhp Support:
Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Also, Kindly do not use inane abbreviations (like jk etc.).

Last edited by Amartya : 4th January 2011 at 02:59. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 mins. Also read edited post.
Old 4th January 2011, 00:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner is more of an off-roader in its true sence, whereas the X1 can be classified as a soft roader.

In the end, the brand BMW is any day ahead of the Fortuner from Toyota and commands a different level of respect and awe. Fortuner gets u immense road presence purely because of its size, and some respect in the fact that it is hard to get due to poor (i am purposely using that word here) delivery period

Well for one, i wouldnt exactly term it as girly in the looks department (X1), but it aint no Rambo either. People will probably buy the X1 for the very same reason people bought the 2nd generation Honda city, despite its ugly looks.

At the end. Both of these are very good and capable vehicles. A sound and capable offroader and a superb soft roader
Old 4th January 2011, 00:46   #27
BHPian

is the x1 available in awd

I think the x1 in 6 months is gonna be that car everyone buys just because its a cheap car thats made by a premium luxury brand. its gonna be one of those cars people just get to be like "oo me too, i got a bmw."

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th January 2011 at 02:37. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2011, 08:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
is the x1 available in awd
There is no AWD there is only the rear wheel drive version available in India.

Quote:

Bro dont get the x1 man its too girly, I don't look at it as a mans car, in my views its a car for your wife who get driven around in.
I agree with you completely there, but then you need to make some compromises in a marriage i guess. initially was looking at that, later was leaning towards the propeller badge and the joys of owning a bimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Can you ask them the BSI rates for X1? Is it the same for the 3 series sedan?

will check on BSI Again today. i think as what i remember from my conversation the BSI is exactly available right now and he gave a comparison to the nearest car the 320d for the rates.

Quote:
I think the x1 in 6 months is gonna be that car everyone buys just because its a cheap car thats made by a premium luxury brand. its gonna be one of those cars people just get to be like "oo me too, i got a bmw."

Old 4th January 2011, 08:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Mate you are choosing 20-25 lakh cars, and saying you can't afford the mileage of the Mitsu , the outlander is one of the best cars I have driven, it's an absolute joy to drive with those paddle shifts.
Old 4th January 2011, 09:10   #30

But the Outlander is no match for the X1. Also, the outlander has PATHETIC resale value!! Get the X1 and I bet you will be happy. And you will be a lot safer in one...........just trust me on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks