Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 17:46   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You might find this link interesting: Goradia Industries

If you plan to make your own luggage restrain straps using ratchet straps etc.
The stretchable nylon nets available in India are of very poor quality. Try and source them from the US. I use them for securing my luggage bags on my bike.
Thanks Imran!
Yes I'm looking for something similar that people fit on bullets. But it needs to stretchable and not more than 1mm thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Yes. It would have been definitely good to have such a lockable cover as an accessory, similar to what is on offer for the Tata Xenon. Should not be too hard to get this fabricated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats boss, that is indeed a butch vehicle. Agree on the roll bar lights - would be macho if nothing else. However, I'd second tanveer's suggestion - you need a lockable bay!
I don't want to fit a lockable lid for the rear as that restricts the space available. An open bay with soft top tarpaulin cover and some extra tarpaulin will help a lot. I also intend to get decent ropes which can be put over the tarpaulin like they do in trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And please get the fuel lid converted to cable lock before you purchase. Shouldn't be a considerable cost IMO.
Considering Sriku's Bolero was opened up courtesy the fuel lock, I do intend to get it changed. But the problem is that the decals go through the fuel lid thereby making it impossible to replace that piece. Will need to find some other solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Congrats MC,

I also got my Storm Java Brown, hope you get a lot of joy and adventure from your Scorpio. How does 'Wind Walker' sound as a name for your steed?
I'm calling mine 'Spirit'.

Enjoy
Chaunfa
Congrats on the Storm.

Sorry but Wind Walker is like"Naaaaaaaaaaah" Need more pizazz.

Black Sabbath was suggested amongst many others.
Another point of thought says "Doodh Ki Gaadi".

Will decide on that soon.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:58   #152
BHPian

Check this as an amazing fitment and easy to engineer.
Old 5th March 2011, 18:04   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Thanks Arun!

This is definitely doable especially considering that we have amazing DIY guys like you over here amongst Hydeez
Old 5th March 2011, 18:18   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thanks Arun!

This is definitely doable especially considering that we have amazing DIY guys like you over here amongst Hydeez
A trip to Ranigunj along with the laptop showing the design........3 hours later, you'll have all the parts ready for assembly . You dont even have to strain your brains cause in typical Hyderabadi style, the vendors would recommend viable ready made products to use in this purpose.

The immediate process i can think of is as follows
  1. For folding arms that lock when straightened - those used in garden/patio umbrellas made of steel.
  2. Frames to match the bay eights and width can be bent right then and there depending on the gauge stretch you wish.
  3. Canvas hoisting/tightening hooks can be welded.
  4. Carrying forward B.D's gyaan, "Z-axis" system can be implemented to control slack. (OT: Cant believe how the gyaan on a soft-top fitment in the right manner is treated with such fanfare on "that" thread.)
  5. The pivot point for the whole frame is not yet thought about, but I'm sure Ranigunj vendors shall greet us with " aapko jhapaan ka hona ya india ka ? "
  6. Voila..... you're all set!
PS : Talking about DIY, we also have a unique performance product designed inhouse for use in your " i double dare you to honk at me" beast.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 5th March 2011 at 18:27.
Old 5th March 2011, 19:16   #155
Team-BHP Support

Cargo Nets, Luggage Nets, and Truck Bed Nets - Cargo Gear Car and Truck Accessories
These are the kind of nets, I was talking about.
They are way better than ropes for securing stuff.
Old 5th March 2011, 19:26   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Cargo Nets, Luggage Nets, and Truck Bed Nets - Cargo Gear Car and Truck Accessories
These are the kind of nets, I was talking about.
They are way better than ropes for securing stuff.
I think you got me wrong there.

I need luggage restraint cords (elastic variety) as per above for the luggage. But then I further need rope to put the tarpaulin cover like in truck.

The luggage restraint cord will be used to make sure the luggage doesn't move from its position. and the rope will be used to keep the tarpaulin cover in position.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 5th March 2011 at 19:28.
Old 5th March 2011, 22:57   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Congrats MC,

I also got my Storm Java Brown, hope you get a lot of joy and adventure from your Scorpio. How does 'Wind Walker' sound as a name for your steed?
I'm calling mine 'Spirit'.

Enjoy
Chaunfa
A Bolero with "SPIRIT" written on it will be a Kerala cop's / excise guy's favourite.

-- Torqy
Old 5th March 2011, 23:03   #158
BANNED

How about a Hindi/Urdu name like "Pathan", "Sher", "Chetak" etc?

Would go well with its masculine, yet rustic personality.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:25   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
A Bolero with "SPIRIT" written on it will be a Kerala cop's / excise guy's favourite.

-- Torqy
Not quite my dear Torqy, I plan to have it written in Kanji and then have a sticker made. So it will probably read Ki. To confuse them even further I'll have a dream catcher sticker on the hood heh...heh..finally it will look like a rustic North Indian truck.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 7th March 2011, 11:26   #160
Senior - BHPian

Ani,

we need to meet to make it a "designer vehicle" along with Arun. I also want my luggage Car pod project to get into motion along with yours, if it suits our timing!

CONGRATS once again!
Old 7th March 2011, 11:34   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Quote:
I think you got me wrong there.

I need luggage restraint cords (elastic variety) as per above for the luggage. But then I further need rope to put the tarpaulin cover like in truck.

The luggage restraint cord will be used to make sure the luggage doesn't move from its position. and the rope will be used to keep the tarpaulin cover in position.
If you do that tarpaulin cover thing then I am afraid everytime you cross the state border, the excise department will stop you for checking.

Don't make it look like a transport truck with tarpaulin sheets. It would be very difficult explaining the white board is actually a white board ant not a yellow board to the cops and sales tax people. Not just because they don't understand, but because they are corrupt as well.
Old 7th March 2011, 18:50   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
1) classy (compared to both Storm & Thar).
3) Cheaper 4X4 capability (compared to the Scorpio Refresh 4X4).
Could you elaborate on points 1 & 3 above?
What do I mean by classy?! It's subjective but here's what I've felt over the past two years that I've driven my bolero storm - When a driver on a highway sees any of the below vehicles in his RVM, which of these do you think he'll readily give way to?

Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!-mahindrathar4.jpg
Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!-3653873726_27d5ae228d.jpg
Name:  zrclip002n3f8358d.png
Views: 1556
Size:  72.8 KB

A Scorpio commands respect... On a trip to Kerala last Saturday I saw two Crde Thars along the route. Since I recognised them as Thars I readily let them pass but the last I saw them was with a TT and an indica chasing them like dogs chasing a cat! Your ride may have a 97bhp or 104bhp engine but if it look likes any other farmer's vehicle, you'll still end up stuck behind the crowd or have the crowd chasing you to the farm!

Based on the below price list, I just felt that the Getaway is a cheaper 4X4 option than the Scorpio 4X4. And given MC's 'style of driving' the Getaway's Total Lifecycle Cost will definitely be cheaper than the Scorpio 4X4 I guess.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1103
Size:  7.4 KB
Old 7th March 2011, 19:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
What do I mean by classy?! It's subjective but here's what I've felt over the past two years that I've driven my bolero storm - When a driver on a highway sees any of the below vehicles in his RVM, which of these do you think he'll readily give way to?

Attachment 513504
Attachment 513505
Attachment 513506

A Scorpio commands respect... On a trip to Kerala last Saturday I saw two Crde Thars along the route. Since I recognised them as Thars I readily let them pass but the last I saw them was with a TT and an indica chasing them like dogs chasing a cat! Your ride may have a 97bhp or 104bhp engine but if it look likes any other farmer's vehicle, you'll still end up stuck behind the crowd or have the crowd chasing you to the farm!
I would say a THAR with 2 Auxiliary lamps and a winch upfront is much more menacing than Scorpio or Bolero which adorn our highways as dime a dozen.

THAR looks and means business. Scorpio is a softy in front.

If only I could have a THAR

Last edited by MileCruncher : 7th March 2011 at 19:09.
Old 7th March 2011, 23:09   #164
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thought you gave me today: Decals are irreplaceable, Cars are not.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:37   #165
BANNED

Quote:
I would say a THAR with 2 Auxiliary lamps and a winch upfront is much more menacing than Scorpio or Bolero which adorn our highways as dime a dozen.
THAR looks and means business. Scorpio is a softy in front.
Tell me, before the advent of the Thar, could you ever imagine an MM540 with all the bling in the world which would make it "look" business, overtaking your Bolero?

How many drivers on the highway know what is the Thar? For the average Joe on the highway, it is still an MM 540, rather a Jeep. So he will never give way to it as readily as he would, to, say a Scorpio or a Bolero who are known fast vehicles/hooligans on the road.

Most Viewed