Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 11:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!

i understand, the only missing thing in your Bolero is a 4x4. How about a conversion???

4x4 gurus, is it possible? (and give a trouble free ownership to MC??)
Old 8th January 2011, 12:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
i understand, the only missing thing in your Bolero is a 4x4. How about a conversion???

This question gets asked and answered in many thread. Can be done but extremely difficult & expensive. The details answers can be found in the 4x4 section.
Old 8th January 2011, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Yes its the search for 4X4 that requires me to buy a new car. I don't want to do anything on the Bolero because :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This question gets asked and answered in many thread. Can be done but extremely difficult & expensive. The details answers can be found in the 4x4 section.
+1 to that

And having had string on issues with the Storm, I wouldn't want to do anything that reduces reliability. So this is not even an option for me.
Old 8th January 2011, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yes its the search for 4X4 that requires me to buy a new car. ...
How about a Used car instead???

Hyundai Tucson?
Suggested it after reading:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ives-last.html
Old 8th January 2011, 17:27   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MileCruncher : No vehicle is perfect, especially the sub-10 lakh rupee ones. You have a problem with the Scorpio's seating position, the Thar's lack of hard top + air-con and the Xenon's price.

Well, I think its time to view the positives instead, and decide which negatives least bother you. Options:

- Scorpio 4WD : Suits your needs to the T. See if the new ones suit your driving style, or modify the seat positioning / cushioning.

- Thar : It's air-con ready. And even with one installed, will be the cheapest of this bunch. First try running it with the air-con & soft top...my Classic was very chilly. I'm sure you'll be satisfied. If not, get a hard top from the after-market.

- Xenon : Stretch your budget, if this vehicle is the one you really want! Just don't expect to off-road too much in one.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ani Bhai.

The only vehicle that would suit your needs is an 'ISUZU TROOPER'.

HT,AC,4*4,a powerful engine and what not.Ideal for long drives and easy to maintain.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What are you talking about MC? You don't want to wait for the Xylo 4x4?
Old 9th January 2011, 10:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, I think its time to view the positives instead, and decide which negatives least bother you. Options:

- Scorpio 4WD : Suits your needs to the T. See if the new ones suit your driving style, or modify the seat positioning / cushioning.
+1 to GTOs comment. With a budget of 10 Lakhs, it is impossible to find a new SUV that will make you 100% happy. Pick the devil with the least negatives. This is why I bought the Scorpio 4WD. The ergonomics of the Scorpio is totally flawed, but it is the best value for money 4WD Tourer available. To truley appreciate how flawed the scorpio interior ergonics is, park it next to a Fortuner or Safari and sit in both vehicles and try to get a ergonomically correct and comfy driving position. By comfortable, I mean distance from body to steering to dash to pedals, etc.. The flaws which I noticed are:

1) You sit extremely close the dash which is almost vertical.
2) The pedal positioning is flawed in relation to the steering. If you find a comfy pedal position you will be too close to the steering. If you put a good distance with the steering, then the pedal is too far. I have owned and driven both ends of the SUV spectrum from a softroader like the RAV4 to the TLC100 Series so I am pretty certain that my discomfort in the Scorpio is not caused by any personal physical deformities.
3) The ORVMs are only a few inches from being in line with your face due to the above mentioned point that you really have to pull you head back to view the ORVMs.

Admittedly it is Mahindra's first *modern* platform and hopefully, Mahindra will do better with the new Global SUV. I personally plan to upgrade to the Fortuner or some comparable SUV in a year or two....
Old 10th January 2011, 12:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
MileCruncher : No vehicle is perfect, especially the sub-10 lakh rupee ones. You have a problem with the Scorpio's seating position, the Thar's lack of hard top + air-con and the Xenon's price.

- Thar : It's air-con ready. And even with one installed, will be the cheapest of this bunch. First try running it with the air-con & soft top...my Classic was very chilly. I'm sure you'll be satisfied. If not, get a hard top from the after-market.

- Xenon : Stretch your budget, if this vehicle is the one you really want! Just don't expect to off-road too much in one.
Thanks GTO. I guess need to start working on the least devil concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Ani Bhai.

The only vehicle that would suit your needs is an 'ISUZU TROOPER'.

HT,AC,4*4,a powerful engine and what not.Ideal for long drives and easy to maintain.
Waseem Bhai, no used car. And the new ISUZU Trooper is definitely not within 10Lakhs. If it is please let me know, will pick it up straight away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What are you talking about MC? You don't want to wait for the Xylo 4x4?
Do you really want to know my answer to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
+1 to GTOs comment. With a budget of 10 Lakhs, it is impossible to find a new SUV that will make you 100% happy. Pick the devil with the least negatives. This is why I bought the Scorpio 4WD. The ergonomics of the Scorpio is totally flawed, but it is the best value for money 4WD Tourer available. To truley appreciate how flawed the scorpio interior ergonics is, park it next to a Fortuner or Safari and sit in both vehicles and try to get a ergonomically correct and comfy driving position. By comfortable, I mean distance from body to steering to dash to pedals, etc.. The flaws which I noticed are:

1) You sit extremely close the dash which is almost vertical.
2) The pedal positioning is flawed in relation to the steering. If you find a comfy pedal position you will be too close to the steering. If you put a good distance with the steering, then the pedal is too far. I have owned and driven both ends of the SUV spectrum from a softroader like the RAV4 to the TLC100 Series so I am pretty certain that my discomfort in the Scorpio is not caused by any personal physical deformities.
3) The ORVMs are only a few inches from being in line with your face due to the above mentioned point that you really have to pull you head back to view the ORVMs.

Admittedly it is Mahindra's first *modern* platform and hopefully, Mahindra will do better with the new Global SUV. I personally plan to upgrade to the Fortuner or some comparable SUV in a year or two....
You have more or less nailed the problems that we face in Scorpio in terms of sitting position.

Barring THAR the shortlist is down to Getaway and Xenon.

Getaway
For
  1. Even though Getaway's are far and few in between, the Scorpio platform is tried and tested
  2. Decent A.S.S. Network
  3. Good interiors
  4. Support from M&M directly through TBHPians and others
  5. High seating position
  6. Higher GC
  7. Within budget

Against
  1. Bad ergonomics
  2. Load bay is an afterthought
  3. Extended overhang reduces the departure angle
  4. No ABS
  5. Old 2.6 CRDe Engine

Xenon
For
  1. Designed as pickup so dimensions are right for application
  2. Limited Slip Differential
  3. ABS
  4. Butch looks
  5. Modification possibilities

Against
  1. Price is 10.02L Ex-showroom thereby putting it into 14% Tax rate instead of 12% for Getaway.
  2. Low GC
  3. Flimsy plastics and interiors
  4. Smaller tyres
  5. I have no clue about TATA A.S.S
  6. 45 days delivery with ZERO discount

The OTR price difference between the Getaway and Xenon is close to 1.6L so that is one thing that is major AGAINST factor for Xenon.

Keeping price aside, what would the Guru's suggest!

Cheers

P.S. If only TATA gave me a bulk discount (I'm buying 2 more vehicles and those 2 will be TATA/FIAT) I would go for the XENON.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th January 2011 at 12:49.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:49   #25
Team-BHP Support

Tata Safari 2.2 EX 4x4 costs 9.72L ex showroom in Hydrabad. Thats 12% tax bracket?
Do you really want a pickup truck? If a SUV will do, why not a Scorpio or Safari 4x4?
I am not sure of a Scorpio 4x4 comes in a trim which costs less than 10L ex showroom,

Speaking of Xenon or Getaway, a low volume vehicle is a low volume vehicle. If a part unique to the vehicle breaks, you may have a tough time.

Speaking of Tata, you can easily extract a 25K discount + go for Gold AMC which means Tata pays for oil changes and all wear and tear charges, including suspension for the life of AMC(I think limited to 50,000kms).
Old 10th January 2011, 13:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata Safari 2.2 EX 4x4 costs 9.72L ex showroom in Hydrabad. Thats 12% tax bracket?
As per the latest price list TATA dealership, Safari 4X4 is only available in VX variant.
Quote:
Do you really want a pickup truck? If a SUV will do, why not a Scorpio or Safari 4x4?
I need a pickup or the THAR.
Quote:
I am not sure of a Scorpio 4x4 comes in a trim which costs less than 10L ex showroom,
Both safari and Scorpio 4X4 are only available in the top end variant. TATA seems to have picked up the game from M&M's book

Quote:
Speaking of Xenon or Getaway, a low volume vehicle is a low volume vehicle. If a part unique to the vehicle breaks, you may have a tough time.

Speaking of Tata, you can easily extract a 25K discount + go for Gold AMC which means Tata pays for oil changes and all wear and tear charges, including suspension for the life of AMC(I think limited to 50,000kms).
Having lived with FIATs, I know what you are talking about. But I'm willing to take that risk.

The Ex-Showroom price of Scorpio Getaway 4X4 is 9.14L and Xenon 4X4 is 10.02L.

Thanks for the discount info. Let me go and haggle with them.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2011, 13:32   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need a pickup or the THAR.
In this case you can go with either getaway or Xenon. Getaway is not really a looker. As for rear LSD, for normal trail driving, its not really much of an issue.
I am not sure of Xenon comes with an ABS at this 10.02 price point.
Anyways, at 9.14 the Getaway makes more financial sense.
I am not sure about interiors. I found scorpio a little too cramped on the front, though rear seat is nice.

Coming back to Xenon you can ask for a freebie like rear boot lid, if dealer agrees, then it becomes VFM, as there is no other luggage space in any of the vehicles.
Speaking of the tire size I think the TL had 15" the Xenon XT sports 16" alloys, but I could be wrong.

That said, is the Xenon offered in BS-IV? The Tata website says its BS-III

Quote:
Both safari and Scorpio 4X4 are only available in the top end variant. TATA seems to have picked up the game from M&M's book
Thats what the dealers say. Write a main to Tata customer care. I am told EX 4x4 is still being made. Different dealers say different things. Funny how it works
Old 10th January 2011, 16:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, is the Xenon offered in BS-IV? The Tata website says its BS-III
Thats what the dealers say. Write a main to Tata customer care. I am told EX 4x4 is still being made. Different dealers say different things. Funny how it works
The Xenon brochure that I have received from the dealer is for the Xenon 2010 which has ABS with Music System and is BS-IV. Two dealers contacted have no clue about the Xenon except the price list.

Trying to find more about the Xenon called up the customer care and the person on the other end was clearly not aware of it and on explaining told me that since it had a load bay, I ought to contact the commercial vehicle dealer in Hyderabad and told me he was right .

So if you could share some contact details of people in Tata Customer Care then may be I can mail them and make them see sense in reducing the price by 2.5K so that I don't have to fork out the extra 20k in taxes.

On a side note went to the CV dealer also and they were much more friendlier than Concorde. Told me that TL was not coming now but they can arrange on made to order basis within 1 month. The 4X4 costs around 7.5Lakhs and they'll help me register this BS-III vehicle on white plate in BS-III zone

Cheers
Old 10th January 2011, 16:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So if you could share some contact details of people in Tata Customer Care then may be I can mail them and make them see sense in reducing the price by 2.5K so that I don't have to fork out the extra 20k in taxes.

Cheers
Lets see what I can do. Can you PM me your email address?
Old 10th January 2011, 17:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would not believe dealers a lot. The Safari site lists three versions available in 4x4, and EX is under 10L. These are prices for Hyderabad.

Models 4 X 2 4 X 4
Safari DICOR 2.2 LX BS 3 Rs. 772,151 N.A
Safari DICOR 2.2 EX BS 3 Rs. 883,183 Rs. 972,598
Safari DICOR 2.2 GX BS 3 Rs. 995,888 Rs. 1,090,348
Safari DICOR 2.2 VX BS 3 Rs. 1,100,624 Rs. 1,194,352
Safari DICOR 2.2 LX BS 4 Rs. 782,329 N.A.
Safari DICOR 2.2 EX BS 4 Rs. 893,361 Rs. 982,776
Safari DICOR 2.2 GX BS 4 Rs. 1,006,066 Rs. 1,100,527
Safari DICOR 2.2 VX BS 4 Rs. 1,120,999 Rs. 1,214,726

I think that the Tax is on the listed price and not on discounted price. So getting discounts to get the price below 10L may not work.

Most Viewed