Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!

;-) Or MC there was some other reason??

Yep I'd agree but there should be something softer that can be folded away and at the same time provide cover with "click lock" buttons??
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:10   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Milecruncher! I'm really looking forward to your ownership review of the Getaway.

Have a question: Why did you choose the Getaway over a regular Scorpio? As you yourself posted, the Getaway's loading bay seems like an after-thought. And it's too small for hardcore commercial use anyway. For the occasional load carrying, the Scorpio easily swallows luggage. Relative to the Getaway, the Scorpio has a better engine, more room for 2nd row passengers and a 3rd row of seats too. So what were the exact factors that tilted the scale in favour of the Getaway?
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

This might be a bit OT, but I saw a brand new spanking silver/grey coloured Getaway in Pune today. It had MH12GF series registration, which makes it very recent.
I wonder if Pune dealers *help* in registering BS3 vehicles in Pune RTO.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:27   #94
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why did you choose the Getaway over a regular Scorpio? what were the exact factors that tilted the scale in favour of the Getaway?
Same thoughts here too! I guess 4x4 could be the sole tilting factor.
Getaway 4x4 is substantially cheaper to acquire than Scorpio 4x4.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
;-) Or MC there was some other reason??
Sudev Saab, I'm not able to follow you on the above. Other reason for what ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Yep I'd agree but there should be something softer that can be folded away and at the same time provide cover with "click lock" buttons??
Thats ejjactly what I want. Click lock buttons for a tight cover.

Quote:
Congrats Milecruncher! I'm really looking forward to your ownership review of the Getaway.

Have a question: Why did you choose the Getaway over a regular Scorpio? As you yourself posted, the Getaway's loading bay seems like an after-thought. And it's too small for hardcore commercial use anyway. For the occasional load carrying, the Scorpio easily swallows luggage. Relative to the Getaway, the Scorpio has a better engine, more room for 2nd row passengers and a 3rd row of seats too. So what were the exact factors that tilted the scale in favour of the Getaway?
Thanks!

Actually the decision was based on part on your advice of finding the vehicle with Max positives/least negatives.

My original need about 2 years back was a pickup truck because of the versatility that they offer but had to buy a normal SUV/UV due to registration issues. That time the Xenon had come into the equation but absence of TD and budget constraints pushed me towards the Storm. As articulated by absynthguzzler in the THAR thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I personally feel Anirudh's option to purchase the Getaway is a classic example of loosing out on a potential Thar buyer purely due to lack of clear answers to doubts raised. Albeit, it is commendable that MC stuck to purchasing a M&M product and opted for the Getaway. As much as I'm chuffed to know MC got a vehicle that will help his insane appetite for adventure and travel, the after taste is not good.

a. He had a keen eye on the OTR scene and was experiencing this through his own Bolero and other mighty steeds from people on here. The bug bit him and he wanted to learn more and had decided on the buying the Thar right from its R&D days. The vehicle is still being marketed to tickle this very kind of customer, yet it lost out.

b. Thar final product has been so confusing to this buyer and forced Ani to compromise on his "wants".Its not like he can treat the getaway in the same vein as the Thar coz its 30-40% more expensive than his initial purchase option. It was not like MC had the option to go 2nd hand and get a vehicle to satisfy him since a good finance option would not be feasible. The Thar ticked all the boxes for him......... yet he and M&M lost out.

c. The reason I'm most gutted for him is because he has had to go out and shell more money than initially structured. Whilst being disappointing in whats being offered as a final product, Thar has pushed him to shell out 10Lacs rather than making sure he spends about 1Lac more and gets all the features he wants in the Thar itself. Such uncertainties from a brand that's proved so customer friendly certainly doesn't instill confidence in the Thar product at-least.

He's a happy customer( albeit, a compromised one)at the end of the day. I only wish his initial choice and dream was good enough for me to be a happy well-wisher and admirer of the Thar.
The decision was based on quite a few criteria but trying to jot a few down below in no particular order:
  1. I wanted the THAR which also would have been a 2 seater vehicle. Needed basic comfort but I guess somewhere in the back of my mind, needed some good comfy features like PW/C-Locking/ All mode AC.
  2. I'm more of a long distance and trail driver than a pure and hardcore Off-roader
  3. I liked the Xenon but TATA was an unknown territory. The non-chalance of TML Area Office staff about selling a Xenon just did me in.
  4. Xenon is almost 2L more expensive than the Getaway.This moolah is helping me buy a Nano.
  5. Scorpio 4X4 is 12L+ OTR. Plus since I do a lot of rock climbing,bouldering and trekking, equipments like crash pads, camps et al don't fit properly inside both Bolero and Scorpio
  6. Finally Xenon is TATA and Getawat is M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
+1 Actually that was one of the major reasons!

Edit

Further to all the above reasons, I would be lying if I didn't mention that I was quite impressed with the M&M Customer Care and After Sales Service. My Bolero was not the best out there but the ever sincerity of the direct and indirect (BD, Spikey et al) to make it a pleasant customer experience has been noteworthy. Further on since the engine replacement last Jan 2010, the vehicle has been more or less bullet-proof.

So in a way booking the Getaway was a THANK YOU to M&M for standing by me ( I had tweeted AM once, but that was just to be on the safe side and create an alternate channel of communication as the Zonal Service Head had already started the requisite procedure) and I hope that they continue on the ever exemplary service.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd January 2011 at 09:11. Reason: Added footnote as requested
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

^^ If you ask me why, I would always prefer the NEF CRDe over a mHawk (Eagle), although a bit bulky it is a gem of an engine. It lugs beautifully, specially the export NEF TCi version.

Spike
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ If you ask me why, I would always prefer the NEF CRDe over a mHawk (Eagle), although a bit bulky it is a gem of an engine. It lugs beautifully, specially the export NEF TCi version.

Spike
Whats the TCi version?

Why is it not available in India

Is it another case of depriving and short changing the domestic customer!

May be I should move to SA
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:59   #98
Senior - BHPian

TCI is turbocharged intercooled (Non CRDi version) of the 2.5L CRDe engine. Infact the first Thar prototype ran the same engine. We switched to CRDi one, as power was slightly on the lower side (~ 100 BHP). The TCI is a very torquey engine, used in low end Export pick ups. Drive it to believe it.

Spike
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Drive it to believe it.

Spike
Show it to me to DRIVE IT

Cheers
Old 24th January 2011, 12:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

Congrats MC on the Getaway. This was one of my dream pick-up vehicles and a very favourite of my wife too. Black will look really great.
I am sorry if i have missed it but have you checked the 2nd row seats and the available space? That was one of the most common complaints against Xenon.
Btw, in Bhutan there is this single cabin scorpio pick-ups which are very common.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have a question: Why did you choose the Getaway over a regular Scorpio?
Congratulations anirudha. I have the same question for you...you should have atleast spoken to me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I suspect the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

I wanted the THAR which also would have been a 2 seater vehicle. Needed basic comfort but I guess somewhere in the back of my mind, needed some good comfy features like PW/C-Locking/ All mode AC.
  1. I'm more of a long distance and trail driver than a pure and hardcore Off-roader
So in a way booking the Getaway was a THANK YOU to M&M for standing by me ( I had tweeted AM once, but that was just to be on the safe side and create an alternate channel of communication as the Zonal Service Head had already started the requisite procedure) and I hope that they continue on the ever exemplary service.
I am happy you got your priorities right. I appriciate atleast you have the guts to admit that you needed an SUV thats why you didnt prefer THAR. THAR CRDe is a super refined UV that is good on road as well as off road. But it cannot be your only car if family comfort is supreme.

Congrats again.

p.s- If i were you- i would have preferred Scorpio 4wd if not on budget. Plus Thanks for trusting and sticking to M&M brand.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:51   #102
Team-BHP Support

@vinod, Speaking of Scorpio 4x4, its offered only in top of the line trim, making it significantly more expensive.
Secondly, speaking of Thar, with no HT and AC, usage for cross country drives is not possible because
1. Heat and cold will make the driver squirm
2. No safety in many towns, where things getting stolen from a Soft top is a reality
Old 24th January 2011, 15:24   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
i would have preferred Scorpio 4wd if not on budget. Plus Thanks for trusting and sticking to M&M brand.
Vinod, this is also a Scorpio, only thing is, it GET-s-AWAY.

Spike
Old 24th January 2011, 16:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations anirudha. I have the same question for you...you should have atleast spoken to me on this.
Thanks.

Actually I did try to speak to you TWICE and sent one email to you through my official email id.

I'm still awaiting response.

Quote:
I am happy you got your priorities right. I appriciate atleast you have the guts to admit that you needed an SUV thats why you didnt prefer THAR. THAR CRDe is a super refined UV that is good on road as well as off road. But it cannot be your only car if family comfort is supreme.
I had my priorities absolutely right from the word "GO". And if as per you, getting baked and bathed in dust and sweat is a requisite for lifestyle vehicle, then I have the GUTS to admit that yes I do require a bit of comfort. And yes I also have the GUTS to say that the THAR is a half baked product in its present configuration. I as a customer had made my point very clear to you way back in May: Give me HT and AC and I'll buy the product eyes closed. And there are lot of customers like me who are in similar predicament. And we as customers couldn't be bothered about internal politics of M&M. Just like you'll not accept part payment for a full vehicle, I also will not accept a half vehicle for my full money.

Apart from this, I had a timeline for the new vehicle purchase and to me it seemed that people were not interested in selling the THAR. The attitude seemed to be"TAKE IT or LEAVE IT". So I begrudgingly upped my budget by 3 Lakhs and started looking for something else.

My simple advice would to the THAR Marketing Team would be: DONT TAKE THE CUSTOMER FOR GRANTED.
Quote:
p.s- If i were you- i would have preferred Scorpio 4wd if not on budget. Plus Thanks for trusting and sticking to M&M brand.
You are most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@vinod, Speaking of Scorpio 4x4, its offered only in top of the line trim, making it significantly more expensive.
Secondly, speaking of Thar, with no HT and AC, usage for cross country drives is not possible because
2. No safety in many towns, where things getting stolen from a Soft top is a reality
+100 to that!. I don't know why is it so HARD for M&M to understand this simple thing.

Quote:
Vinod, this is also a Scorpio, only thing is, it GET-s-AWAY.

Spike
GET-s-AWAY from whom Saar

Last edited by MileCruncher : 24th January 2011 at 16:42.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 17:38   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

HEAR HEAR TSK!!!

And All Ye at M&M PLEASE HEAR US and DO SOMETHING for heaven's sake!!

I am sick of writing emails and posts on this subject but will do so once more since I can observe guys like Vinod and Spikey and so on lurking around on this thread!!!

If the dear old SCORPIO were offered to me in the DX trim, with 4x4, ABS, Airbags and EBD, I would buy it like a SHOT!!!

Also, I would request you to chuck out the last row in the 8 seater, give it to me in TURF GREEN or ROCKY BEIGE colour.

Also give me the option of the same larger tyres as are there in the Getaway (preferably Bridgestone or other but NOT JK) and put in an AMARON battery in preference to Exide.

Also - bring back the lovely storage you used to have in between the front seats like in the original Scorp!!

I also wish you would dispense with the stupid tooth in the centre and revert to the older type radiator grille/ fascia which is there in the 2005-2006-2007 and early 2008 models of Scorpio.

I cant stand the Bling Waggon looks, spotted exteriors (what am I driving, a mechanical leopard with square spots???) and electronic squibblybits in your VLX.

That, in my opinion is meant for Real Estate goonies, Nasty Politicos, evil Corporators, scummy merchants of questionable merchandise, typical bling traders and the criminal element, who appear to prefer in-your-face looks and shiny stuff on their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed