Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 12:30   #1
BHPian

2011 Nissan X-Trail or Toyota Fortuner

Note from the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Also, your posts have way too many spelling / grammatical errors. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

hi
i m thinikng to buy indian made 4x4 fortuner or (japanese made) nissan xtrail auto 4wd

nissan is giving away 4 lac discount on cbu and 0% loan for 5yrs and 4yr warrnty with decent diesel engine with gr8 interior and fuel effi.
while fortuner seems like same but smaller innova V from interior ,poor fuel eff. and long waiting period with 10% int. rate

what should i buy ?
help needed

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2011 at 16:08. Reason: See Mod Note in your post
neo_trace is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2011, 12:52   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: 2011 nissan xtrail or toyota fortuner

the decision is dependent on your usage pattern really.

if you want an SUV for predominantly city + highway use and long distance driving then personally I would think of the Nissan. (smaller proportions - easier in traffic and for parking etc)

if you want a monster SUV which you can use as happily off the road as on the road (including highway driving etc) then the 4x4 capabilities of the Fortuner are more likely to satisfy you. However a possible disadvantage could be its huge proportions and sheer bulk which could be a bit of a challenge on our smaller streets/ roads in cities and while parking.
Old 13th January 2011, 13:12   #3
BHPian

Neotrace: as Shankar suggested, it depends on your usage patterns and you are the best person to decide what you want. Do take TD of both the vehicles then you would have a clear idea about what you really need.
Old 13th January 2011, 13:22   #4
BHPian

Xtrail deal looks tempting... What is the final OTR price after all discounts?

Is there any catch in the 5-Year 0% interest loan?
Old 13th January 2011, 15:24   #5
BANNED

Re: 2011 Nissan X-Trail or Toyota Fortuner

Go for the X-Trail. It will do 95% of whatever the Fortuner will and the deal being offered is mouth watering. No one will give you a 0% loan these days. Also, since you live in a city, spares and ASC wont be an issue. The X-Trail is equally reliable, loaded to the gills and like a few have said, much easier in the city and equally competent on the highway.

And yes, what is the OTR price after all this?
Old 13th January 2011, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nissan is better equipped, especially all disk brakes, EBD and ESP.
Fortuner is more rugged with loads of space, and can seat two extra at the back (mostly children on long drives).

For most journeys X-Trail's AWD 4x4 is sufficient, but Fortuner according to international sites is built tougher. So if you are getting the 4x4 for normal bad roads the X-Trail is a better proposition, of course Toyota has much larger dealer base, while Nissan is just building theirs up.

I do not know which model they are giving discounts, but from the specifications the SLX-MT is what I would go for.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:41   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

n.devdath I belive you are looking in the same market space - so an X-Trail for you?

Neo Trace: On a more serious note, the X-Trail has not appealed to the Indian sensibilties and will drop resale price atleast twice as fast as the Fortuner so the cost of the vehicle even after 5 years may imply an addtional 6L extra that you loose on the X-Trail just on account of poor resale.

The Xtrail though a good as the fortuner even today does not get a second glance so if one wants the snob value then Xtrail is out. Yep the fortuner is really an Innova on stilts and steriods, but then it still looks great on the outside and will give the Toyota service edge.

Frankly I would not recommend either for you and if you can go for the XTrail then why not the BMW X1 itself - Do you really plan to do any offroading.

Do you require 7 seats or 5?

I somehow feel that the True VFM options above 15L in large Crossover, Softroader, SUV space are: Aria, Captiva, Fortuner, and the X1 (just for the snob value).

A car that does not sell much needs to be pegged back on the resale as well.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:52   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
n.devdath I belive you are looking in the same market space - so an X-Trail for you?

Neo Trace: On a more serious note, the X-Trail has not appealed to the Indian sensibilties and will drop resale price atleast twice as fast as the Fortuner so the cost of the vehicle even after 5 years may imply an addtional 6L extra that you loose on the X-Trail just on account of poor resale.
Well ACM, though I intend to upgrade Hariya, I do not have the wherewithal to do so and hence am not in the market.

But if I had the money, I d go for the Fortuner over the Xtrail due to the kind of travelling I do, the needs I have and the the qualities that I m looking for in my next vehicle since that would be my last vehicle in this life.

Coming to resale, if NeoTrace gets a 0% loan and 4 lac discount on his X Trail, he will get a good re sale value even if the vehicle depreciates twice as much as the Fortuner in 5 years time. My scouting in the market for used X Trails confirms that.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:17   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Fortuner if you need the 3rd row of seats, some amount of offroad capability and are going to abuse the hell out of it on broken roads. The X-Trail if you are predominantly going to drive on tarmac.

The Toyota is tough as nail and will withstand abuse like no other. On the other hand, the X-Trail's road manners will blow the T-Fort away. The Nissan drives just like a premium sedan, is quick, brakes well and is easy within the city too. This might be an important consideration for you as the Fortuner can be cumbersome to drive in the city and has bumpy ride quality.

I must add : The differential value of the X-Trail over the Yeti isn't much. The Yeti feels very similar to the X-Trail, does the same things in the same way, and costs substantially less too.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:22   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I must add : The differential value of the X-Trail over the Yeti isn't much. The Yeti feels very similar to the X-Trail, does the same things in the same way, and costs substantially less too.
Isn't the Yeti's middle row smaller in width than that of the X Trail Rush? Looks like it to me from the outside at least.
Old 13th January 2011, 20:12   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Isn't the Yeti's middle row smaller in width than that of the X Trail Rush? Looks like it to me from the outside at least.
Yes, definitely. However, the X-Trail by itself has rear bench space comparable to a Honda City at the back (just like the Yeti). Net net, either SUV can only lead 2 on the back seat.

The Fortuner has a key advantage over the X-Trail / Yeti in terms of cabin room & capacity.
Old 13th January 2011, 20:34   #12
BHPian

(1) 75% i m driving in city and 20% on Surat-Ahmadabad-Bombay highway
5% (may be 3-4times in yr) offroad like hills and forests
(2)Nissan people are claiming 15kmpl on highway with new engine 2.0 diesel ...true?
(3)as per issue of 5 or 7 seater doesn't matter that i have petrol innova too
(4)best thing i very much like is xtrail is equipped with 6 speed manual transmission +one revers and 6 airbags with ABS EBD & ESP and diff lock ,will transmission make difference on highway?
(5) and i just spoke to Nissan guy they will manage to give 6 yrs 0% loan if i have good papers and good credits in bank which i do
(6)the most fear is spares and service in 5yrs
(7) final i m not worrying @ resale because least i ll use for 5 yrs because i don't have to pay interest on loan amount that nearly costs 4lacs in fortuner
(8) as RTO cost is very high (2.65lacs) as CBU..is there otherway to control this amount ?
bye
neo_trace is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2011, 21:20   #13
BHPian

@neo_trace - You have missed out to quote OTR price, kindly lets us know the OTR price post discount.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
(1) 75% i m driving in city and 20% on Surat-Ahmadabad-Bombay highway
5% (may be 3-4times in yr) offroad like hills and forests
(2)Nissan people are claiming 15kmpl on highway with new engine 2.0 diesel ...true?
(3)as per issue of 5 or 7 seater doesn't matter that i have petrol innova too
(4)best thing i very much like is xtrail is equipped with 6 speed manual transmission +one revers and 6 airbags with ABS EBD & ESP and diff lock ,will transmission make difference on highway?
(5) and i just spoke to Nissan guy they will manage to give 6 yrs 0% loan if i have good papers and good credits in bank which i do
(6)the most fear is spares and service in 5yrs
(7) final i m not worrying @ resale because least i ll use for 5 yrs because i don't have to pay interest on loan amount that nearly costs 4lacs in fortuner
(8) as RTO cost is very high (2.65lacs) as CBU..is there otherway to control this amount ?
bye
1-4 : X Trail
6 : Nissan is building its network, so there should not be much problem. Otherwise you can always import through authorised importers - this route is way less expensive than dealer even for established brands.
Overall I think that X-Trail would suit you better, so go for it especially if you get a good deal on the loan.
Old 14th January 2011, 11:20   #15
BANNED

Given your requirements, the X Trail seems to suit you better. Dont worry about spares since there will be more X Trails on the roads and since you live in Gujrat, Bombay is a stone's throw away for you and you can get all the spares there. Nissan too are expanding pretty rapidly and hence spares should not be an issue at all.

Most Viewed