Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Xylo D2 vs E4 ? Is D2 variant a good buy ?

Hi Haria,
Earlier on, you asked if lesser power is okay. Maybe my personal opinion, but go for a vehicle with adequate power. I consider a powerful engine a life saving safety feature. No, i am not a irresponsible devil may care driver. But during overtaking, if you have gone beyond that point where you cannot get back behind the vehicle you are crossing, and suddenly there is some oncoming traffic, that extra power can save the day by propelling you forward to safety. Also you mention family trips. Believe me, if you are touring the hills a lack of power becomes so cumbersome and frustrating. Less power means more gear shifts, and the Xylo's gearshift is definitely not a fun to uese box.So between the E4 and the D2, I would opt E4.Otherwise ascertain that there is enough power on tap by exhaustively test driving the D2 variant
Like Sumitkalindi wrote, you can overcome the size handicap once you are used to the size. I already have. But parking is definitely a problem.
Like GTO, mentioned the manza is hard to beat in space if your family travel comprises of five individuals. It will not be cramped.
With your requirements, second hand innovas may make a good deal. But sadly, the somewhat overrated car costs more than your budget would allow even in the second hand market, if it is a well maintained one.
Any way how did the test drive go. We'd be glad to know your impressions.
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Yes. You are right about the hatchbacks being more easy to maneuver in the city - going for a sedan will not really be much different from a MUV, because the size in terms of the overall length is more or less same. One of the disadvantages of hatchbacks and sedans is whenever you have more than 5 people traveling, it's a big pain. (Even 5 is not so comfortable in most hatchbacks and sedans for anything over 60-70km drives)

Granted, most of the time it will be used in a single passenger mode, the trouble is I don't have the parking space to keep two cars. So I need to compromise somewhere. So if the difference in maneuverability is not very substantial, I would have to compromise in that department. This is what I would like to validate with experts here. -ie, whether there's a huge difference in maneuverability b/w a MUV and a sedan/hatchback, such that i need to totally drop MUV from my scope.
Within limits, the Xylo I find is just as easy to direct as any sedan or even hatchback. But in a sedan you sit at the same level as other vehicles. in a MUV, you sit a little higher. In the city, if there are bikes around the place where you have parked, or people walking directly behind the vehicle. It becomes a headache to reverse and get out of your slot. The sedans definitely score as far as rear visibility is concerned.
Notice that I am going on about parking related issues more than anything else? Because I feel that this is the only real disadvantage the Xylo has over cars.

Last edited by igp_79 : 22nd January 2011 at 17:13.
Old 24th January 2011, 08:56   #18
BHPian

@igp : Thanks for your detailed comments. More or less it confirms my impressions on this.

I also struggled to park my friends XYLO when there were bikes (esp. parked bikes, where you can't make out anything) Sorry for the late reply . Was not in town and came back only today morning. Yes, I'd TD both D2 and E4 variants. Will post details about this a little later in the day.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:44   #19
BHPian

I did a TD of Xylo D2 & E4 variants and including here my observations.

"Gurus"/Experts out here : I'm totally new with respect to MUV/SUV so some of my observations may sound stupid to you folks . Please excuse

Xylo D2
-------
I first took a TD of the D2 variant. My observations :

Interiors:
---------
1. It is very roomy. There is great leg room in all rows

2. The dash is pretty ordinary - just a speedometer, fuelmeter and engine heat/cold indicator. No RPM meter (which is there in E series)

3. the plastics look quite flimsy and not up to the mark (though the salesperson was telling it is quite rugged and strong)

4. The seat material, again is quite average - there are no side arm support in D2

5. the glove box seems a little too small ? my alto seems to have a bigger one..

6. AC ducts are there in all rows and it cools pretty fast. Really great. One problem neverthless - there is no provision to turn off AC to a particular vent and only option is shut the vent by the sliding channel - but even if fully close, you still get a cold waft of air. You can of course turn the ac completely off for the second/third rows, but selective turning off/on for each seat is not there.

7. The seats can be folded /removed in all rows and some interesting combinations can be achieved

Exteriors
--------
1. D2 variant looks smaller than its E4 counterpart. The tyres are also smaller

2. for that size of vehicle, the tyres are too small , i think ?

3. There is no side cladding or any fancy stuff -

4. the door handle/outside seem to be a little flimsy

5. Since there are no side steps, ingress/egress is not easy

6. Looks more like a Taxi :-(

Drive experience
---------------

1. The D2 starts with a roar and there is some kind of "whining" sound

2. Very responsive and moves quite smoothly

3. Even though the D2 is having lower bhp, i found that the vehicle moves more easily and requires less gear shifts

4. There is significant amount of vibration on the gear stick. (Can't even compare with my alto, where there is almost no vibration!)

5. There was heavy traffic (near silkboard) and driving a big MUV was making me initially nevrous but I found that XYLO is quite manageable - though it may take some time for getting used to this

6. The gears seem to be more difficult to engage - esp. the reverse gear

7. I went on the elevated highway (silk board to ecity) and felt that the vehicle is quite responsive & powerful. There was considerable sound in the cabin and the vibrations on the gear stick was very high.

8. Braking - the vehicle slews to one side. Quite scary. Even at slower speeds. The sales person told that is because it is TD vehicle, but am not fully convinced.

I'd seen the D2 (2010) model and there are some subtle things which are dropped in the 2011 (mahindra doing a cost cutting ?)
1. Reading lamps in the last row is now not there
2. Side step is not there
3. theatre style lamp in the front is removed - replaced with plain lamps

E4 Variant
----------
I'm not putting down the detailed differences b/w d2 & e4 as these are already avlbl in this site. Neverthless, some of my observations.

1. The interiors look slightly better, though the plastic quality is not upto the mark.

2. There is a side step (as a default accessory), which makes ingress/egress more easier

3. The dash contains a RPM meter - in addition to the stuff which D2 has. Not sure what is the advantage of having this meter.

4. The dash also looks more neater

5. There are reading lamps in all rows

Exteriors:
--------
Did a side by side comparison of d2 & e4 (sorry! did not take my camera along :-(, mobile cam was quite pathetic and gave up after taking couple of snaps). E4 looks more elegant. It also seems to be more bigger ? (not sure whether it is my perception or actuals - the mahindra website is not mentioning any differences). Side beading is also there by default which makes it more better to look.

There is also a rear wiper in this model, which is not there in D2

Drive experience
---------------

Had some difficulty in starting the car and needed to switch on/off couple of times

The engine seems to be more refined and there is less sound. but the vibrations in the gear stick is still there.

The vehicle also seems to be more stable than the d2 counterpart at high speeds - probably because of the bigger tyres

Braking - vehicle still slews - but lesser compared with D2

Strange part is even though D2 is supposed to be a lower powered vehicle, i found it more easy to drive in traffic when compared to E4. It also requires lesser gear changes. Not sure whether this is genuinely true or is just my perception .

Conclusion
----------

Still confused :-(, though some of my fears/misconception has been eliminated. Cost wise - E4 seems to be a good 60k more than the D2.
D2 works out to 8.07L and the e4 works out to around 8.74L

The major difference b/w (according to me) is the tyres and the engine. The other frills i can live without. Question is these differences really worth about 60k ?

- another option (new confusion) is the basic Scorpio LX with mhawk engine after discounts and offers is only about 12k more than the E4. Is it better to go for this ? *grrr* this is turning out quite paniful!

anyways, i'm planning to do a TD of the scorpio also now. will post dtls of this.
Old 25th January 2011, 12:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Haria, If you are looking for a Scorpio then Lx makes sense when compared to XYLO. But if you are looking specifically XYLO then E4 makes sense. Happy hunting
Old 25th January 2011, 15:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
If you are looking for a Scorpio then Lx makes sense when compared to XYLO. But if you are looking specifically XYLO then E4 makes sense.
hi Shishir,

i'm not set on any specific car. my budget is around 8 L, now stretched (forced to! :-)) to 8.7 or so because i'm not v.comfortable with D2 and E4 on road is around 8.75 or so.

My basic requirement still remains the same - A good sturdy vehicle, low on maintenance, proven, stable, and capacity to seat 5 -7 people comfortably (in fact 6 is adequate for most of the time), and easy to manage/drive on a daily basis (about 60+km).

Actually it may have made better sense to go in for a sedan/hatcback if the requirement to seat 5-7 people were not there :-(.

xylo is very good in terms of its roomy and comfortable interiors. The AC also is spot on. Scorpio is a different breed alltogether. Initially i never considered scorpio because i thought it was way beyond my budget. Now that the LX is only 12k or so more than the XYLO-E4, I'm sort of tempted . Anyways, let me check this out.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:55   #22
BHPian

You r right. D2 has better luggability as it produces its maximum torque at lower rpm of 1400 (Vs E4's 1800). So it is a bit more dirvable. The engine of D2 consumes less fuel too!
Compare Mahindra Xylo D2 BS-III vs Mahindra Xylo E4 BS-III - CarWale

Can you wait till middle of year? Mini Xylo is expected to launched by then. The car will have smaller 1500cc engine, smaller in length and will be 7 seater at approx price 5.5-7 lakh. Another 7 seater vehicle Maruti R3 is expected by Jan2011.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
You r right. D2 has better luggability as it produces its maximum torque at lower rpm of 1400 (Vs E4's 1800). So it is a bit more dirvable. The engine of D2 consumes less fuel too!
Compare Mahindra Xylo D2 BS-III vs Mahindra Xylo E4 BS-III - CarWale

Can you wait till middle of year? Mini Xylo is expected to launched by then. The car will have smaller 1500cc engine, smaller in length and will be 7 seater at approx price 5.5-7 lakh. Another 7 seater vehicle Maruti R3 is expected by Jan2011.
How will the mini xylo,which is a shrunken version of the original xylo,be a 7 seater?/
Old 25th January 2011, 21:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
How will the mini xylo,which is a shrunken version of the original xylo,be a 7 seater?/
Well. 2+3+ 2(facing each other like those in Safari). That is the way it is.
Old 26th January 2011, 09:44   #25
BHPian

Hi Haria,
Your observations are spot on. The d2 is tuned to produce better low end but power tapers rapidly after 80kmph or so (input from a friend who has a cab agency). It is meant for the cab industry where comfortable speeds range from 80 to 100kmph. That said he said that the d2 engine is good too.
I didn't notice much unstability during braking.

The gearshift vibration is always there. I used to drive my cars with one hand on the gear lever. In the xylo one has to change that habit. I too felt that the slotting was very difficult after silky smooth slottings in my cars. I got used to it now.

Without the side steps ingress is near impossible for older people.

The xylo is not a agile handler, so bigger tyres are a must which means the E4 is your only choice from a safety standpoint.

My personal choice was the scorpio too. But the third row is too cramped for adults. This was the only reason to drop it. Also, somehow i felt that the xylo's interiors were more ergonomic and modern than the scorpio's. Plus real world performance is very similar.

Other owners say that they do not have much rattles within their car. So the plastics though they do not look and feel premium, i think would be hard wearing.

Conclusion: If adults are not going to use the last rows on medium or long trips, the scorpio it is. Otherwise the E4 would be your choice because two adults and kids can sit in comfort in the third row over long trips in the xylo. Between the xylo and the scorpio this is the only deciding factor.
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:47   #26
BHPian

I test drove the Scorpio yesterday (it was a vlx model) and the experience was overall good.

The outside visibility is really great, which I didn't expect from such a big vehicle. The view is much better than my alto or any sedans , i think.

The rear visibility is a bit of bother. Absolutely can't see Parked bikes or objects of that height. The reverse sensor also was not very impressive.

The gear stick vibration is still there, albeit a little lesser :-(

The gear was not slotting properly (3rd gear) - could be a problem in the TD vehicle - i didn't see any f/b with this in the forum or else where.

In terms of engine refinement also the mhawk is far better as compared to meagle in xylo Eseries

The fit and finish in the interiors also seem to be more refined.

The second row AC vents are on the floor panel, which is an irritant if there are 3 people in the second row. The person sitting in the middle will almost have his/her feet on the AC Duct. There is no AC vents for the 3rd row - xylo scores better in this.

The leg room is comfortable in second row, but lesser than in Xylo. Xylo scores in this department.

The 3row space also is bigger in Xylo. The version of Scorpio I test drove was having last row side facing seats, which seems to be more space saving than the normal row of seat. Yes, I admit travelling long distance in side facing seat is definitely not v.comfortable, but in terms of convinience of carrying luggage it is a +.

Braking was spot on. No jerks or side slewing. A big relief :-). The salesperson told that it's more or less same in all models though ABS versions will be more safer and have greater stability in slippery road conditions.

Conclusion : overall drive experience is much better in Scorpio as compared to Xylo. Passenger comfort is better in Xylo. More than 7 persons travelling would be more comfortable in Xylo as compared to a Scorpio. Base version of Scorpio (sans airbags, abs and some frills) is about 11k more than Xylo E4.

I'm really tempted to go for this (Scorpio). .

Experts out here : is this a better decision ?

haria

@ajay0612
mmm.. xylo mini is supposed to be a 5 seater ??, which rules this out

maruti r3 - is expected to come in production on in 2012. can't wait this long :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
The xylo is not a agile handler, so bigger tyres are a must which means the E4 is your only choice from a safety standpoint.
yep, i also felt the same - E4 handles much more better than D2 variant, though the cab drivers i spoke to (who were having d2) had lots of good things to tell about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Conclusion: If adults are not going to use the last rows on medium or long trips, the scorpio it is. Otherwise the E4 would be your choice because two adults and kids can sit in comfort in the third row over long trips in the xylo. Between the xylo and the scorpio this is the only deciding factor.
your conclusion is spot on :-). My thoughts exactly.
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The gear stick vibration is still there, albeit a little lesser :-(

The gear was not slotting properly (3rd gear) - could be a problem in the TD vehicle - i didn't see any f/b with this in the forum or else where.

In terms of engine refinement also the mhawk is far better as compared to meagle in xylo Eseries

The fit and finish in the interiors also seem to be more refined.
Try shifting to third gear by moving the lever slantingly (towards you). The shift experience should be similar to Xylo.
Xylo is more car like while Scorpio is more SUV like. Xylo taxis are many while you will have to search hard to find a Scorpio Taxi.

Quote:
Yes, I admit travelling long distance in side facing seat is definitely not v.comfortable, but in terms of convinience of carrying luggage it is a +.
Mini Xylo is expected to have similar side facing seat in rear :-). It will also save you lot of money.

Quote:
Conclusion : overall drive experience is much better in Scorpio as compared to Xylo. Passenger comfort is better in Xylo. More than 7 persons travelling would be more comfortable in Xylo as compared to a Scorpio. Base version of Scorpio (sans airbags, abs and some frills) is about 11k more than Xylo E4.
I'm really tempted to go for this (Scorpio). . is this a better decision ?
Cars are depriciating assets. It is better to buy such assets based on essential needs rather than on desirables. The GTO's post below is a must read for any prospective buyer:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html
If I were you, I would have preferred Xylo and invested the savings to provide for costly fuel! Going by the traffic/road conditions and skills of drivers on the road, one hardly has space to drive enthusiastically (on the other hand it is dangerous). So handling etc. issues are practically non-issue in real world of sensible driving.
Old 4th February 2011, 20:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

sorry to jump in a bit late, but if you would rather buy a higher end version of any of these cars, why dont you consider a used car (newer model top end less than 2 years old would be around 20% cheaper than a brand new version)
Of course this is based on availability and you would have to compromise on things like the colour etc. but could be worth a try

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th February 2011 at 20:42. Reason: added comment
Old 6th February 2011, 10:22   #29
BHPian

@ajay0612 : What you are saying is really making sense in some way! :-)
but more confused now. Question is Should I really wait for Mini Xylo ? Other cars also may be making their apperances in this year. but on the other hand all car prices are set to go up north also in the next few months.

@selfdrive: Yep. you are right. n.devdath also recommended this.
I did try evaluating these, But Getting a good used vehicle is not easy and have sort of given it up.
Old 6th February 2011, 13:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Should I really wait for Mini Xylo ? Other cars also may be making their apperances in this year. but on the other hand all car prices are set to go up north also in the next few months.
Don't worry too much about prices going up. For a 6 lac car, every delayed month is virtually saving you around 6000 (12% interest). So price increase is going to be offset by that :-). The price increase is not going to be much anyway in such competitive environment.
Only worry is whether there is going to be hike in excise duty specific to diesel cars. Parekh committee has recommended uniform additional 80K duty on diesel cars/SUVs! But chances of it getting accepted is not much (business interests & politics does not warrant such steep hike). The things will be clear on 1March (budget speech).
Even so let it be our luck. We can than consider petrol vehicles too. As you already own a good car, so there should be no tearing hurry. It is better to wait for few more months as new car is going to stay for many years with you. I personally am waiting for the launch of Mini-Xylo.

Most Viewed