Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 17:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Xylo D2 vs E4 ? Is D2 variant a good buy ?

Excellent write up Haria, enjoyed all your comments, they were very educative.

I've also been thinking about the XYLO a lot since my SAFARI is getting a bit long in the tooth

First things first - The E4 is for the personal vehicle market and the D2 is for the taxi market. Period

About the different characteristics of the engines, see at what RPM the torque is made, that's very important. I think the D2 makes it torque much lower than the E4 and that explains its easy driveability

Also prefer the side facing jump seats of the D2 than the full bench of the E4, because if you have to carry 6 people and luggage, then you can have luggage stacked up on one side and have the passenger on the other side, the INNOVA does this brilliantly but I found this pretty useful in the SAFARI. With the E4 its going to be either people or luggage.

The tyres of the D2 are inadequate and you could go for some good GEOLANDERS once the budget permits later on with some cool alloys

About driving in the city, its easier to drive a bigger vehicle since other road users respect you. In the XYLO and the GRANDE you sit hing up than even the SAFARI and that helps a lot. About reversing, I usually make a round of the vehicle taking into account the environment around and then use the mirrors to reverse out of gaps.

What I want to know is, are there any variants on the D2? Like, a stripped down version with no power-windows or AC and such? or is there only one version?

Keep going mate, you are doing the right things. The only time you get to use your brains is before the decision is made, once you sign up on the dotted line, then there is no use thinking about what could have been, so enjoy the tension
Old 6th February 2011, 23:51   #32
BANNED

One of my collegue recently baught D2 and he is very happy with it. He rode both E4 and D2. He was saying that D2 requires very gear changes(due to LET) , so it is very easy to ride in traffic. He is getting mileage of 14 - 15 KM/Ltr in highway. I things it will improve after 5k kilometers. He was earlier inclined towards Bolero, but after test riding Xylo he changed his decision. Due to budget constraint and mileage he opted D2. It cost him around 6.9 Lac on road with side steps. He got 2011 version, the side steps were removed from 2011 version due to cost cutting by Mahindra. 2011 version is known as BS IV/V. The 2010 version was knows as BS IV/III. I don't know why?.
Old 7th February 2011, 08:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjojo08 View Post
Due to budget constraint and mileage he opted D2. It cost him around 6.9 Lac on road with side steps. He got 2011 version
ooooh!! the onroad cost @ bangalore is 8.07 L without sidesteps!! Is the tax difference so much between states ??

has your colleageue taken D2 yellow board ? I believe that is around 7.2L in bangalore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArun
What I want to know is, are there any variants on the D2? Like, a stripped down version with no power-windows or AC and such? or is there only one version?
Nope. Not to my knowledge. There are no sub-variants of D2. I believe there was an E2 in the initial days, but that has been discontinued now.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:13   #34
BHPian

Does it help buying a yellow board for personal use if that comes so cheap in bangalore? I might be missing any information hidden in *** which probabaly makes yellow board cheaper in blore.
Old 9th February 2011, 23:56   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
ooooh!! the onroad cost @ bangalore is 8.07 L without sidesteps!! Is the tax difference so much between states ??

has your colleageue taken D2 yellow board ? I believe that is around 7.2L in bangalore .
Sorry that was a typo.. It was 7.9 Lac on road.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:36   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion for you in order of what I believe will suite you best.

1) Pre owned Safari EX- Save money for any issues later- about 6L with 2 years warranty remaining imposing and sits 5 most comfy + can take 7 when required.

2) New Safari LX - about 9L OTR - with advantages as above.

Safari would compared to the options considered by you give the most owning pride, but there are likely to be minor niggles.

3) Grande Mark II - Seats 7 comfy, good engine, Spacious, imposing.

4) Xylo E4 - not D2 - If you drive yourself better engine is required. Also better tyres will imply better stability which is something that Xylo missing out on - 60K plus is worth it.

5) Preowned Innova - This after the first 2 months or so could give as much pleasure to own as any of the above. Spares are expensive, but not much is expected to go wrong. Better product than the Xylos.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:12   #37
BHPian

@ ACM : Thanks for your suggestions. I did not TD safari. Couple of my friends who were having safari told while it's a great vehicle on the highway, managing in the city was not very easy. Also their maintenance bills seems to be on the higher side (avg service bills were 8 - 12k)

I did test drive Grande, found it real nifty to manage, but was not too impressed either by its interiors or the comfort level. Felt that XYLO was far better VFM in this department.

Getting good preowned innova's is not very easy. And also it will almost have the same rate as a NEW xylo or basic scorpio. Hence not considering this. In fact not too keen on pre-owned vehicles at this juncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us

Does it help buying a yellow board for personal use if that comes so cheap in bangalore? I might be missing any information hidden in *** which probabaly makes yellow board cheaper in blore.
No, it doesn't really make any sense buying a yellow board for personal use. Granted, your initial tax might be smaller, but there are too many hassles. You need to be in uniform, you can't travel inter-state (have to pay tax each time), you will be subject to more stringent checks by the cops, etc. etc. Not at all worth the trouble

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks