Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 18:28   #1

Tata Sumo IDI or DI

The DI technology is an Older One(As seen in MAN Trucks) than IDI.(According To My Knowledge)

The Passenger car range eg. Sierra, Estate and Sumo of Tata Motors featured the IDI engines. BUT with Spacio Tata Motors brought back the DI engines from 407 LCV. Also Badging it to be NEW DI Engine...

However the DI engine NVH levels were not upto mark of the IDI engines. The Vibration as seen in DI Engine is FAR LESS in the IDI Version.
Although the TORQUE is quite Impressive in DI engines. The IDI is far better when used in Urban areas.

The difference in Fuel Economy is Marginal (2-3)kmpl

So mostly , still today the DI engines are a favourite of Taxi operators because of Low maintenance due to its sturdiness.

The IDI is (thought to be) expensive on maintenance...(The burning of fuel in the cylinder head causes the gasket to wear out more quickly than the DI Engine) as heard by some taxi operators.

Any Tata vehicle engraves a deep sentimental value for me and the SUMO is the dearest....

For owning a Private vehicle
(for a big family and long drives)which would be your pic?
Any suggestions on the technicality are humbly Welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo IDI or DI-120.jpg  

Old 27th January 2011, 19:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo IDI or DI

Trucker: Does anyone still manufacture IDI based vehicles in this class ? I dont think so, the last manufacturer i knew was M&M offering Bolero 4x4 with IDI engines. So check with this first.

Otherwise, to own a personal vehicle, I prefer it with IDI heart, because if the NVH levels. But yes DI engines are more robust and are rock solid.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2011, 19:35   #3
BHPian

Anytime, the DI is better than IDI. Reasons:
1. Excellent low end grunt(torque)
2. Hassle free morning starts with NO heater plugs
3.Longer engine life
4.Bullet proof
5. Less pollution, greater mileage
Well, the dark side is said to be vibrations, more engine noise etc. But that is controlled in modern DI engines
Ashley Nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2011, 20:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Trucker: Does anyone still manufacture IDI based vehicles in this class ? I dont think so, the last manufacturer i knew was M&M offering Bolero 4x4 with IDI engines. So check with this first.
Yes they do. The Sumo Victa is available in both IDI-TCIC and Di variants.
Except for the ridiculous NVH levels, its all positives for the Di engine.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2011, 19:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, and having driven the Grande quite a bit, the engine of choice for the Sumo is the common-rail. Minimal turbo-lag, revvs nicely and great performance on the open road too. I can understand some people still choosing the DI, but the IDI is so yesterday.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honestly, and having driven the Grande quite a bit, the engine of choice for the Sumo is the common-rail. Minimal turbo-lag, revvs nicely and great performance on the open road too. I can understand some people still choosing the DI, but the IDI is so yesterday.
+1 to that

I wouldn't want to touch Sumo Spacio even with a Barge Pole!
Old 29th January 2011, 13:29   #7
BHPian

Personally, I like the Sumo. I have a thing for squarish G-wagen lookalikes (Trax and Sumo) The Sumo Victa comes with the old 2.0L 90bhp IDI engine, and the 3.0L DI engine. Both are turbocharged. But the one I'd prefer, despite the NVH is the Victa DI, because the engine is absolutely bulletproof, proven by service on 207DI and 407EX Turbo trucks. Parts are available at every corner and cheap. Even Tata CV service centre or roadside mechanic would be familiar with this engine, which is not the case with the DiCOR. It will also have a better resale. Just don't expect refinement or ease of use. If you like your cars a bit rough, it's fine. I loved driving it because of the enormous amount of shove that the engine makes right off idle. You have to shift early and correctly and plan overtaking moves in advance, but it's great in the city because of the great view and tall seating.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:44   #8
BHPian

I read somewhere that Tata Sumo is about to get a facelift soon to compete with Bolero, If this is true it would be better to delay your purchase for an another 2-3 months.
Old 27th February 2011, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Is there any news of the all new TATA SUMO?
I will buy one within 1-2 months.
The showroom SE not aware of any new lunch.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Went to Fortune Cars, Thane on Sunday evening to enquire about a Sumo Victa. The IDI version has around 64bhp on the brochure, unlike the 90bhp claim made on the website. The DI version is the same in the brochure and the website. I seriously think the 90bhp IDI is a spelling mistake of sorts.

Also unlike the website claims, there's no model in the Victa family which comes with third row AC vents. The sales guy said the third row AC feature is now only available in the Grande.

Price of the GX model (PS/AC) was 7,19K while without PS/AC it was close to 7L.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

that seems to be for the NA IDI model. The TCIC IDI has ~90 bhp
Old 15th March 2011, 14:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

IDI NA, IDI TCIC, DI Turbo ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I seriously think the 90bhp IDI is a spelling mistake of sorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
that seems to be for the NA IDI model. The TCIC IDI has ~90 bhp
Greenie is correct. 90BHP is for the IDI TCIC version. The regular IDI engine only has 68BHP. The website does not show the NA versions, which are also available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Also unlike the website claims, there's no model in the Victa family which comes with third row AC vents.
Correct. Only the Victa GX TCIC has second row A/c vents.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: IDI NA, IDI TCIC, DI Turbo ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Greenie is correct. 90BHP is for the IDI TCIC version. The regular IDI engine only has 68BHP. The website does not show the NA versions, which are also available.

Correct. Only the Victa GX TCIC has second row A/c vents.
NA=naturally aspirated? The brochure doesn't mention the TCIC 90bhp version anywhere.

The salesman categorically ruled out second/third row AC vents in any of the Victa models.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@Honeybee,

Yes, NA = Naturally Aspirated

3rd Row a.c vents is not available in ANY of the Victa models

2nd Row a/c vent was available only in the Victa GX / Victa GX Turbo. This was the situation when I got my Victa GX TCIC.

GX IDI NA was stopped long back, possibly in early 2005. The GX TCIC IDI is no longer available, but instead you should be able to get the GX DI Turbo.

The interiors have also changed to some extent (slightly lower quality now), and the 2nd row a/c blower (roof mount) May have been stopped. The Victa LX / EX definitely never had the 2nd row a/c blower.

Note:
The EX did have the TCIC option in the very begining, but that was also stopped.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Considering that the Spacio has the same 3L DI engine and is around 5.2L, it could actually be a better option to go for it and fit an AC. It doesn't come with PS but I have driven one on a long drive (~40 kms) and didn't really think it was such a big problem. So if you are looking mainly for outstation trips, it might be worthwhile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks