Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:22   #1
BHPian

Rural vehicle, 7-8 lakh, should be sturdy

One of my uncles wants to buy a utility vehicle. He is a doctor (age 52) and lives in northern part of West Bengal.

His requirements are:

Car will be mostly be driven by driver. However, he will often drive himself.
Average mileage will be 1000 km/month. Mostly in rural areas. However, due to political reason(!) the car occassionally may be used for commercial purposes - like vote campaign for gram panchayet. So, slight misuse is expected.

He lives in a small town. So, availability of parts/mechanic should be taken into consideration.

I initially suggested him following models (budget around 7-8 lakh) -

Toyota Innova
Ford Fusion
Hyundai Getz (I doubt how it will handle misuse)

Scorpio, Safari, Sumo ruled out for being too bulky for self drive.

Toyota Qualis would have been ideal choice. But since it is no longer available (the car should be new) he's looking for a similar vehicle.

So, what's your suggestions?
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Palio Adventure.
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rule out Ford Fusion and Hyundai Getz.

You have only three choices:

Chevrolet Tavera

Tata Indigo Marina

Mahindra Scorpio

The latter is good enough for self drive and is not too bulky. Its a great city SUV so that shoudl give you an idea as to how well it can be driven around. No fears on that count.

2nd hand Qualis is still a good bet. In Kerala I believe 2nd hand Qualises sell at a premium over new Taveras.
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Rule out Ford Fusion and Hyundai Getz.

You have only three choices:

Chevrolet Tavera

Tata Indigo Marina

Mahindra Scorpio
Tavera is out as it is too uncommon and will probably face problem with parts/repair etc. Scorpio should be considered. I need to convince him to consider Scorpio as well.
Old 4th January 2006, 00:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Telcoline, eh? But then its bulky too.
Scorpio and Innova are the best candidates in 7-8L range.
Old 4th January 2006, 02:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

fiat buddy. Thats the strongest small car I have seen. Dont be afraid from Fiat. Its here to stay.

ITs proved with the millions of dollars they are pouring into The Indian arm.
Old 4th January 2006, 02:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat Palio Adventure.
Go for the Adventure. It's nice and easy to drive and built specifically to take on the kind of roads we have in India.
Old 4th January 2006, 05:20   #8
BHPian

i think the indigo marina should be a good bet in your uncles situation as it is sturdy,strong and a good service network i think it will bear the brunt of even a rural village campaign!!!
Old 4th January 2006, 08:55   #9
BHPian

hey SBASAK, the best thing for ur uncle would be the MAHINDRA SCORPIO CRDe! awesome vehicle, very good power, nice FE, and ready to go anywhere! its maintainence is almost next to nil! and u might ge tit within that range, the base model for sure. I wouldnt recommend the Tavera as for it the availability of spares could be a problem, if not its good too.

the Innova... no way! Getz, well its a great car, but it aint good for misusing, and as u said it could be used commercially too, then no way!

boy, Scorpio is the way to go! Tata cars will all give u heavy maintainence if u misuse it. they stay together as long as u drive it delicately, the moment u misuse it, parts start falling apart!
Old 4th January 2006, 11:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
hey SBASAK, the best thing for ur uncle would be the MAHINDRA SCORPIO CRDe! awesome vehicle, very good power, nice FE, and ready to go anywhere! its maintainence is almost next to nil! and u might ge tit within that range, the base model for sure. I wouldnt recommend the Tavera as for it the availability of spares could be a problem, if not its good too.

the Innova... no way! Getz, well its a great car, but it aint good for misusing, and as u said it could be used commercially too, then no way!

boy, Scorpio is the way to go! Tata cars will all give u heavy maintainence if u misuse it. they stay together as long as u drive it delicately, the moment u misuse it, parts start falling apart!
Agree with you on that.

SBasak, Perhaps your uncle should take a test drive of the Scorpio - it is really very easy to handle and drive, even in narrow and crowded streets.

Though on the build-quality front, Tata and M&M should fare equally, and maintainence costs and availability in rural areas should also be lesser compared to vendors like Toyota or GM.
Old 4th January 2006, 11:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Saikat... So where exactly will this vehicle be used? Siliguri?

Well, believe me, for your uncle's purpose two vehicles will come close. Either a Sumo Victa or a second hand but good Qualis. Scorpio (regular Turbo, not CRDe) will follow closely. I know what you mean by commercial purposes as well... I know how it can be during polling seasons. A Sumo Victa top of the line will come will all the gizmos for a self-drive and yet will be rugged enough. By rugged I know what I mean... where people will keep the doors, tailgate open with a couple of them leaning out from each of them (the poor doors bearing the load), shouting slogans at the top of their voices... If they can manage (serves well to have a rugged rooftop carrier as well) one or two will also climb on top of the roof and sit their raising slogans. Polling in Bengal can be a bit boisterous, more so in remote parts

Uhuh... it has to be a Sumo... Qualis may also qualify but then I am not sure whether it can take this kind of beating once in a couple of years or so. Scorpio I did not choose because it is too much of a fancy city car. It goes for one poll canvasing and it will come back with torn upholstery, inside mouldings, tailgate rattle etc... But is still worth considering if your uncle is looking for some sho-shaa...

And now considering a remote location where it will probably be used I feel a Tata vehicle will serve you the best. A fancy CRDe and all may not be the right answer. You need something which even those roadside garages know how to handle, and that is a prime requisite for operating in remote corners of this country. From that aspect a Tata vehicle or even a Mahindra (not Scorpio though... but a regular commander type of vehicle) is ideal. Believe me I am speaking from my personal experience.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th January 2006 at 11:43.
Old 4th January 2006, 14:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
So where exactly will this vehicle be used?
It will be used in North Dinajpur & Maldah.

Hmm, thanks for your opinions, looks like he has to choose from these -

Used Qualis, Scorpio (not necessarily only CRDe), Indigo Marina
Sumo would have been good - but it's a bit of image problem. Almost everyone in his town has Sumo

I wonder why no one said in favor of Ford Fusion??? Is it too fancy? I thought it to be quite rugged... Also, what's the problem with Innova? Toyota cars are doing fine in rallies in remote and worst roads in the world! Is Innova prone to failure in slight misuse?
Old 4th January 2006, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Toyota cars do good in rallies in remote and worst roads in the worls as along with them a car filled with spares and an engineer follow them
Old 4th January 2006, 15:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
It will be used in North Dinajpur & Maldah.

Hmm, thanks for your opinions, looks like he has to choose from these -

Used Qualis, Scorpio (not necessarily only CRDe), Indigo Marina
Sumo would have been good - but it's a bit of image problem. Almost everyone in his town has Sumo

I wonder why no one said in favor of Ford Fusion??? Is it too fancy? I thought it to be quite rugged... Also, what's the problem with Innova? Toyota cars are doing fine in rallies in remote and worst roads in the world! Is Innova prone to failure in slight misuse?
I am sure by SUMO you immediately conjure up the classical "SUMO"... the one that runs around everywhere all across the country. This is what most people own as well. This will definitely have some image problems (I won't touch that myself). I was talking to you about the top of the line Victa. I myself saw this car and rode it for sometime very recently. I feel this could be the answer to your uncle's problem. At least ask him to have a look at it. It has all the SUMO qualities and yet is handsome in a brute kindda way, particularly with those mean looking bull bars! Why, it even has those central floor consoles, power windows, central locking, those tell-tale indicators for every conceivable thing on the central console.

Just check it once. As far as Toyotas and Fords are concerned, they may be tough. However they need periodic high-end maintenance to keep them fighting fit which may not be so easy to come by in Indian rural heartlands. Moreover if too many of those enthusiaistic, rustic kinds (poll fever) get into one I suspect all that sophisticated "toughness" will go for a toss.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th January 2006 at 15:06.
Old 4th January 2006, 15:33   #15
BHPian

How much does the Sumo Victa cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks