Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio - 7 or 8 Seater - Really Confused!! Advise

I have an 8 seater and the space it provides is a boon. But there is another angle which not everyone is aware of. Here in NCR, an 8 seater, weather private or commercial will need a fitness certificate every year once the new vehicle fitness has expired (its is valid only for 3 yrs in case of a new 8 seater). Please check for this rule with the RTO in banglore before you decide.
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

If only kids are going to be in the last row, the front facing 3rd row seat will make you feel more secure since kids will not have access to the rear door latch.

Also, on long trips my 7 year old daughter is able to sleep peacefully in the front facing 3rd row, fully stretched out, while the rest of the family occupies the 1st 2 rows.
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have seen the 7 seat layout and have sat in it. It has 4 individual bucket seats in 2 rows and one long bench at the end which is "technically" supposed to seat 3 people.
Did not quite understand it. You mean to say that the middle row has 2 seats, is that right? Where is the space between seats, in middle or are both the seats stuck together leaving space on one side?
Old 4th March 2011, 11:33   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Would suggest all rows forward facing

1) Middle Row can then be inclined and pushed back. - The middle row of scorpio is cramped as such so this is a boon. This is a major reason as besides the front row the most used row would be the mid row.
2) Third Row can be removed as required or permanently depending on the requirement.
3) kids and smaller persons can sit in third row more comfortably if facing front. Third row is not for larger adults even if facing sideways.

The only disadvantage incase of all rows facing front can be that it will not allow for as much freedom for a large addtional ICE component in the rear if one plans to keep the rear seats as they are.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:44   #20
BHPian

All, Thanks for the valuable Input

Went to showroom with the family and spent a lot of time on the 8 seater and also 7 seater. Left the decision to the family members since they will be the one who will spend time at the back. Finally they settled for 7 seater, though with not 100% committment.

It will save me around 30K as I can use the speaker and woofer from the previous scorpio.

Good news it that, Dealer has ordered for both 7 seater and 8 seater Misty Silver SLE Model, so I will have choice till someone books the 8 seater

Now eagerly waiting for the delivery

Regards

Damodar
Old 5th March 2011, 14:40   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Yes, I am buying the scorpio in Bangalore. Have already booked the scorpio SLE, but still deciding on seating, last day today to inform the dealer.

Regards
In that case, do you think you would be able buy the 8 seater version and take my middle and rear most seats if possible? I can pay you the difference of 30k that you would need to pay M&M. My middle row has hardly been used.

I know it is difficult but I have my fingers crossed.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:27   #22
xPK
BHPian

One question guys!
In 8 seater setup, how much boot space do we get?
I read somewhere that it would be similar to the boot space of WagonR. I will be OK with that much boot space though.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:27   #23
BHPian

I would reckon less than wagonr (though I never owned a wagonr).
The other pain with the 8 seater is this. If you hit security checks
where the guys open the rear door for a quick inspection, they typically try
to close the door a couple of times as the feedback isn't good at all.
I reckon this is because, the 3rd row is very close to the rear door
and when all the windows are raised up, slamming the rear door creates a
air pocket of resistance. To avoid this, I open one of the windows during this
exercise. I dont know how many have noticed this though... Can easily be
verified by trying to close the rear door with a window/other door open and
all of them closed.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:40   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
One question guys!
In 8 seater setup, how much boot space do we get?
I read somewhere that it would be similar to the boot space of WagonR. I will be OK with that much boot space though.
You can stow away a couple of mid sized flexible kit bags on the floor and if you are intelligent at loading stuff, you can put some more small bags. Rigid luggage is a problem.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:11   #25
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
the 3rd row is very close to the rear door
and when all the windows are raised up, slamming the rear door creates a
air pocket of resistance. To avoid this, I open one of the windows during this
exercise. I dont know how many have noticed this though... Can easily be
verified by trying to close the rear door with a window/other door open and
all of them closed.
Hey, this is new to me. Thanks chandra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You can stow away a couple of mid sized flexible kit bags on the floor and if you are intelligent at loading stuff, you can put some more small bags. Rigid luggage is a problem.
Seems to be the only option. Thanks Dev.
Old 12th March 2011, 03:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even I'm at the same dilemma as most of you. Planning to book a Scorpio SLE within next couple of days and still not sure whether to go for 8 or 7 seater. The boot space with 8 seater is almost negligible and even less than that of a cramped hatch. I want to put a Sub and that means that I need to keep the vehicle as 5 seater for most of the time if I go for 8 seater. Is it anyway possible to keep a sub on a 8 seater configuration?
But again for 7 seater I won't be able to slide the middle row and that means less space for 2nd row occupants. I'll go to the showroom again tomorrow and check how bad is it for the middle row occupants. Also with 7 seater I won't have much worry about ICE'ing the ride and I really need good ICE in my car. Uuff I'm still super confused..
Hey BTW, slightly OT, is the interior of Black Scorpio is different than White Scorpio? I'm leaning towards a black one and would like to know except for the cladding being of silver color will there be any other difference to a white one? It'll be a SLE trim.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:22   #27
BHPian

A sub can be kept under the 3rd row, but that would take away whatever thats left for luggage. One suggestion that came to me was to put a removable luggage rack on the roof, keep the sub under the 3rd row. This sort is the best compromise that achieves everything, but personally I decided against it. If you are a family man like me, I would recommend a 8 seater. My kids didn't like the side facing seats of the 7-seater.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:34   #28
BANNED

friends,
I have booked a new white scorpio - VLX with Airbags.
Captain seats and last row is front facing.
Should i buy SLE,Normal VLX or VLX with Airbags.
Is my choice right?.
Please guide me.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friends,
Is my choice right?.
Please guide me.
If you can afford it, you should always go for additional safety. I would recommend that you buy the model with airbags. Sure, VLX has some minor features (like rain sensing wipers) that are not of great use IMO however Airbags & ABS is worth paying more for it.
Old 12th March 2011, 13:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
A sub can be kept under the 3rd row, but that would take away whatever thats left for luggage. One suggestion that came to me was to put a removable luggage rack on the roof, keep the sub under the 3rd row. This sort is the best compromise that achieves everything, but personally I decided against it. If you are a family man like me, I would recommend a 8 seater. My kids didn't like the side facing seats of the 7-seater.
Are you sure about the Sub? If it goes with the 3rd row then that solves my problem totally. I felt with the space available it is almost impossible to put a sub. For luggage part I'm not worried as of now as I'm not a family person yet. So I can fold the seat up and make a huge space for luggage in case it's needed. Mostly it'lll be needed when we'll be 3-5 friends who would going for trip. Once we add a sixth person then only the problem will arise I guess. Aah, I guess I'll go for the 3rd row front facing if no problem to add a sub..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friends,
Is my choice right?.
Please guide me.
Buddy, if you can spend the money then please go for the Airbags. If there was a choice and money I would also like to have all the safety features. Infact ABS is one of the biggest reason for me to putting the Scorpio SLE ahead of Safari(EX). Obviously the main reason is the engine of Scorpio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks