Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:40   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio - 7 or 8 Seater - Really Confused!! Advise

Hi All

I have booked a Mahindra Scorpio SLE and the expected delivery Date is 20th March. I had previously owned a 2007 Scorpio 2.6 CRDe for about 2.5 years.

Now I am really confused if I should go for a 7 Seater or a 8 Seater Scorpio.

7 Seater will have side facing seats and 8 seater will have 3 rows of forward facing seats. My previous scorpio was a 7 seaters and din't face any problems with it.

7 Seater

Pros
1. Easy to Manage/fold the rear seats
2. Can accommodate lot of lugguage and couple of passengers
3. Lot of space for ICEing
4. Easy to get in and out of the vehicle

Cons
1. Side facing is hard on Passenger's neck
2. Seat on comfortable for long drives
3. hardly any leg space with few lugguages

8 Seater

Pros
1. Middle row can slide few inches back and forth
2. Middle row can bend/slant backwards
3. Can remove the 3rd completely to create lot of space in the back
4. Easy for additional passengers in the 3rd row

Cons
1. Limited space for lugguage at the back because of 3rd Row
2. limted space for ICEing
3. Passenger have to get in and out of the new row - cumbersome

Scorpio Owners, please advise if its practical to buy a 7 seater or an 8 seater.

Regards

Mods: Searched the forum, but could not find a conclusive thread on seating in scorpio. Merge the thread if already present.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio - 7 or 8 Seater - Really Confused!! Advise

The third seat (eight seater)is absolutely no-no for adults. The best set up for Scorpio is the seven seater with side facing rear most seats.

The third seat has no real leg space in reality. 8 Seater is strictly for school kids and not for transporting 5 adults and 3 kids.

Though the best set up is with the Captain seats if you mostly travel with only 4 people, for practicality the normal seven seater is the best set up for scorpio.

Last edited by VW2010 : 2nd March 2011 at 21:48.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I own a 7 seater(last row side facing) and this was after a lot of dilly dallying between the 7 and the 8 seater versions. I was never convinced with the side facing bench seats and wanted to put my money on the 8 seater. However all it took was one drive sitting in the last row. Am 6 feet and having sat there for a 4 kms drive I decided I had enough and got out of there. Went ahead and picked up the 7 seater version.

If you are above 5.6 or so, you would really have to crouch and sit there. You are spot on with your observations with the 8 seater.

Quote:
Cons
1. Limited space for lugguage at the back because of 3rd Row
2. limted space for ICEing
3. Passenger have to get in and out of the new row - cumbersome
I would say go for the 7 seater and ditch that extra seat. Gives you some space too.
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:04   #4
BHPian

I too own a 7 seater Scorpio with side facing 3rd row. Apart from the advantages already mentioned on the thread, I like the space freed up when the side facing seats are folded up and the 2nd row is flipped over completely. With a mattress a double bed can be created and could be very useful on long journeys.
Old 3rd March 2011, 03:17   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

would suggest the 8 seater.main reason is that you can slide the second row backwards to create more legroom. If predominantly the occupancy of the vehicle is 3 to 5 people, then you can remove the last row and create luggage space.the last row is very uncomfotable anyway.
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:54   #6
BHPian

Have been using 8 seater for last 2 years. You can slide the second row forward to free enough legroom in 3rd row to accomodate kids/women easily. Anyone taller than 5.5 ft will not be comfortable beyond 20 mins. Best part is, when 3rd row is empty you can recline second row as per your need and relax comfortably.
Ross is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

If there are a couple of people below 5.5 feet in your travel group, it would be preferable to go in for the 8 seater. Travelling front facing on long journeys is more comfortable in the 3rd row, as per the ladies of my family

I wonder if M & M could introduce a split 3rd row front facing seat in future, so that there is more flexibility in accommodating both luggage and passengers, based on the requirements of the trip.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Have been using 8 seater for last 2 years. You can slide the second row forward to free enough legroom in 3rd row to accomodate kids/women easily. Anyone taller than 5.5 ft will not be comfortable beyond 20 mins. Best part is, when 3rd row is empty you can recline second row as per your need and relax comfortably.
One query to the 8 seater owners - Can we fold third row upright attached to middle row and create space for luggage?

roby
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Chandra: Would advise for the 8 seater, you can slide it back to get that extra space when nobody is sitting in the last row. If there are only 4-5 passenger, you can take out the last row and create enough space for luggage, I've taken off my last row as we are only 4 most of the time. Picture of the same:
Mahindra Scorpio - 7 or 8 Seater - Really Confused!! Advise-wolt-strapped-down.jpg

If you use luggage hooks, your load sits tight and straight.

@ Roby: You can only fold it down (the bench seat) or take it out fully, it's pretty easy, just fold it forward and pull, it comes off, same for replacing it. Taking it out fully creats lots of space, pl. refer my picture above.

--Ramky
=====
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:54   #10
BANNED

The seat back of the 7 seater is slightly upright and there is no adjustment possible.

Please go for the 8 seater so that you have all your seats splitting, folding, and reclining. Believe me, it is very convenient. Like the others said, remove the last row when not required.

By the way, are you purchasing this at Bangalore? I m looking for someone who can swap their 8 seats for my 7 seats. Seriously.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:55   #11
BHPian

IMHO 7 side seating is best. I was in same condition when I booked the vehicle. After side seating experience I feel side seating is good for both luggage and seating.

Advantage with 7 seating is, you can load the luggage and also sit with leg stretched( of course with your legs on luggage and things). But you can do it.

8 seating I feel is too cramped.. as said by others its only for children and not adults. Even without luggage 5.6+ tall people cannot fit in. There is wheel coming in at the sides, so seating is really uncomfortable near the windows.

If your seating capacity can never go beyond 5 or max 6 then probably 8 makes sense as it comes with push back. People in the middle row can relax much more than the 7 side.. IMHO.

Cheers,
Vadi
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have always wondered about the captains seat layout. Unfortunately never seen one. Can anyone post pics of the layout of seats or a suggested diagram?
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:09   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have always wondered about the captains seat layout. Unfortunately never seen one. Can anyone post pics of the layout of seats or a suggested diagram?
I have seen the 7 seat layout and have sat in it. It has 4 individual bucket seats in 2 rows and one long bench at the end which is "technically" supposed to seat 3 people.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
By the way, are you purchasing this at Bangalore? I m looking for someone who can swap their 8 seats for my 7 seats. Seriously.
Yes, I am buying the scorpio in Bangalore. Have already booked the scorpio SLE, but still deciding on seating, last day today to inform the dealer.

Regards
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the 7 seat layout and have sat in it. It has 4 individual bucket seats in 2 rows and one long bench at the end which is "technically" supposed to seat 3 people
For all practicality this set up sounds perfect. We rarely travel with more than 4 people and for the 4 people captain seats give the best comfort.

Most Viewed