Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 23:08   #1
BHPian

Maruti Eeco or Tata Venture?

My friend from Nasik want to buy a vehicle for his family. He is looking for 5-7 seat vehicle. I suggested him the only option of Eeco; before I read the thread on Tata Venture.

I am not able to decide (for him) to buy Petrol Eeco or diesel Venture.

My friends requirements are:
  • 5 to 7 seat capacity,
  • Low price
  • Needs AC vehicle preferably
  • Occasional outing with 5 adults + 2 kids: so low running (to justify diesel)
  • Good after sale service (may be a concern with Venture)
my concerns with the vehicles are
with Eeco:
  • Poor rear seats (no head rests, poor cushioning, low legroom)
  • no rear ac vents
  • ac option only with 5 seat model
with Venture
  • All drum brakes
  • underpowered engine (with reference to the Gross vehicle weight)
  • after sale service
  • high price
  • recently launched vehicle (not yet launched all over india)
Please help us choose a better option

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th March 2011 at 23:19. Reason: Please search and post in relevant sub forum
Old 5th March 2011, 23:38   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Eeco or Tata Venture?

one needs to be more specific! what kind of vehicle is your friend looking for? does it have to be first hand? what is his budget? How much would he be traveling in the city or on the highway, will he do the driving? how old are the kids?

This is the best place to get answers, but to get the best, you also have to ask better questions!

from the limited info I do feel, Eeco or the venture are not the only options!

Old 6th March 2011, 11:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Eeco or Tata Venture?

I would recommend to go for Eeco. Being a petrol and then again being a Maruti should provide him with peace of mind over a diesel Tata vehicle, which is of utmost importance if he wants to take his family for outings.

The seats can be replaced with aftermarket or custom-made seats for better comfort. I found the legroom in the earlier Versa quite good (I could actually stand upright inside the vehicle!), so Eeco should not be too tight.

Eeco, as per my knowledge, does not have a 7-seater AC variant, so he will have to buy the 7-seater and get the AC fitted from the dealer and get it covered under the vehicle warranty or a separate warranty.

Eeco has more car-like characteristics such as overall length/width and turning radius. A winger may be too difficult to maneuvre. Plus a Winger is a maxicab and so will attract more charges for parking / entry / toll etc.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:42   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Eeco or Tata Venture?

Hi Naren,

For personal usage, and keeping his low running in mind, it's the Maruti Eeco. It's fairly nippy to drive, will be hassle free to own (Maruti) and is more "car like". Note that the Eeco's bumpy ride quality & bare basic interiors can be a deal breaker to many. Have your friend test drive it thoroughly.

What I'd really recommend though is to dump the 7 seaters. He's going to be driving alone or with 4 others most of the time. You yourself state that 5 onboard with 2 kids is "very occasional". Why compromise? A modern hatchback will be infinitely better to drive and to own, with superior build / engine / ride quality / handling / fit & finish / features to boot. For those "occasional" times that there are 7 people together, rent a cab! To know more about the excellent hatchback options in the market, search our forums.

Also remember this : Even if an Eeco has a 7 seater variant, it really can't seat 7 comfortably.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2011, 15:33   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
My friends requirements are:
  • 5 to 7 seat capacity,
  • Low price
  • Needs AC vehicle preferably
  • Occasional outing with 5 adults + 2 kids: so low running (to justify diesel)
  • Good after sale service (may be a concern with Venture)
Why does he need an MUV at all? Let him buy a Ford Figo diesel if he wants a low cost vehicle sipping diesel. It can seat 5 comfortably and the requirements of 2 more seats is only occasional. It is well built, fun to drive and will be wayyy better than both the vehicles listed.
Old 6th March 2011, 23:17   #6
BHPian

What is the budget?

And as some of the other members have mentioned, if a 5 seater would do the job most of the time for you, I would like you to also consider the newly launched Indica variant - EV2. It is built on the Indica V2 platform and gives 25kmpl of diesel. If 5 seater would do I would think that ev2 is a good option.

On the other hand if you need driving comfort then Venture it is. Since venture is built on the Ace platform, there are very few chances of the "new platform niggles". I suggest to test drive the EV2 and Venture and then decide.
Old 6th March 2011, 23:42   #7
BHPian

Hi Naren,

With the inputs from you on your friend's requirements, and to choose between an Eeco and Vanture, I would list the following points pro-Eeco (in order of priority):

1. Safety: If the Venture has all four drum brakes, I would rate it unsafe vis-a-vis the Eeco. This can further explained keeping in mind the eg. of the previous variant of the Omni. Most important factor to consider especially when travelling with family.

2. Petrol: If the usage is mild, then going in for a Diesel is not justified.

3. Maintenance: Eeco all the way with the MASS back up.

Apart from these, I feel the Eeco would have an AC in the mid and top variants.

As it has been pointed out, if the usage of the car with 5+ aboard would be fairly infrequent, then other options like a hatch would probably make more sense.
Hope it helps.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 7th March 2011, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Winger does have a higher end version with dual AC and rooftop vents. However it would still be much higher in terms of price. My estimate is it will cost anything upwards of Rs. 7L on road, while you can get the Eeco at less than half its price.

GTO has put forth a good point, however if your friend still wants a seven seater vehicle, he can try customizing the seats in the Eeco to get the required comfort levels.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

If at all he needs a 7 seater, I would suggest you to look beyond Eco and Venture.
IMO you should look for a used Bolero/Sumo/Sumo Grande fitting in your budget.

If this is the only vehicle in house then go for a spacious hatch.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:46   #10
BHPian

You can fit Twin AC at the rear roof in an EECO be it 5 or 7 seater. The cost of which is approx 14-15k at MASS. Have enquired this at MASS in Thane.
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabhayshah76 View Post
You can fit Twin AC at the rear roof in an EECO be it 5 or 7 seater. The cost of which is approx 14-15k at MASS. Have enquired this at MASS in Thane.
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
How much loss of power could one expect with this fitment? I will need to buy a 7 seater in the next few months.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:52   #12
BANNED

I think both these vehicles should not at all be considered.
EECO;
I own an eeco myself. But my dad bought it only for airport transfers and for guests or transportation purposes. If your friend is planning to drive the car himself, the eeco will be his worst nightmare. It has the most bouncy ride you will ever come across. However, the ride quality will improve if there are more people seated in the car. (more than 5). The only pro is that it has a lot of space.
VENTURE;
the venture on the other hand is the new kid on the block. But safety should be the main concern while buying a car. With all four drum brakes, it is a really unsafe vehicle. Dont know what tata was thinking. If needed for driving within city limits, i.e speeds upto 60kph, it is ok, but for occasional highway trips and outings, it should be avoided.

But when it comes to venture vs eeco, i think going for the eeco will be the better option as it is a much more safer car and MASS scores.

I think you should consider pre-owned cars. Both the venture and eeco will be nightmares once bought.

Last edited by DMehta : 7th March 2011 at 14:53.
Old 7th March 2011, 18:13   #13
BHPian

@samarth.bhatia
Your signature says, 2005 ss80 MPFI ? I am pretty sure you meant SB308.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:50   #14
BHPian

@sureshkishore

You are right.
And I have answered a similar query in my Introduction thread.
Would request you to see that.
This thread is not the right place for that topic, NOM .
But I do love the Brown SS80 in your avatar!

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 13th March 2011, 09:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
How much loss of power could one expect with this fitment? I will need to buy a 7 seater in the next few months.
Not much, I would guess. With the engine developing close to 80bhp (I think it's about 78bhp or so for the Eeco), even if the AC took about five percent of it away, you have more than 70bhp available. More than sufficient.

Most Viewed