Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 15:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Innova or SX4 Diesel?

Hi,
Both Innova and SX4 are great in their own space, but looking at your primary usage of the new buy, I'll recommend a Innova to SX4 without a second thought.

With more and more modern cars and faster drivers on the highways, safety is utmost important and this is the reason why you should consider an Innova. Ofcourse both could be having ABS and Airbags, but they are not the only essentials.

I'm from Hyderabad and I frequent NH9 and NH7 and I use a Scorpio. I also have an Indigo which is due for replacement in April/May this year. As this is for my parents, I want them to take Innova but my father doesn't like the shape and he thinks it is too big. He likes my Scorpio, but Scorpio is high to get in and out for my mother. So we have zeroed on SX4 to replace our Indigo.

I can take a decision and go for Innova, but my dad will be uncomfortable till it is replaced again. But since Innova is already on your final list, thats the best of the two. As regards to the everything else, all cars have their goods and bads.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:34   #17
BHPian

Thank you very much -- All of you.

Read your suggestions today, as well as the detailed Test Drive of the SX4 Diesel on this forum. I also happened to drive a used Innova that is for sale through narrow streets.

Innova it is then -- I will wait to see if I can get a good used vehicle (with low mileage on the odo) until the end of this month, and if not, I will plonk my money on a new VX model (I need the car only by end of May, as I want to sell my existing Indigo and transfer the NCB to the new vehicle).

Need advice on two more things:

(a) 7 or 8 seater ?

As I said, it will be mostly two of us with luggage, occasionally adding three more with their luggage. Last row is more or less irrelevant.

I guess the captain seats in the middle row of the 7 seater will be more comfortable if we ever engage a driver. But for now, I will be driving it with wife navigating (and keeping me awake) so the captain seats do not matter.

May be we will be better off with the 3 seater bench seat in the middle row and folding up the side facing seats in the 8 seater.

I saw a friend of mine struggle to fold up the rear most bench seat in his 7 seater -- is it difficult? I presume it is much easier to fold up the side facing seats of the 8 seater.

Curiously, the 7 seater has a very slight edge over the 8 seater when it comes to resale value - cannot understand why!

(b) Colour: I know this is a personal choice. I have always plonked for white, because it is easier to maintain, and if ever a part needs repainting, it is easier to match the repainted part with the original.

Innova white seems to be the exclusive domain of Taxis, and we could be in for harrassment at state borders which I would want to avoid. Our choice is between Champagne Gold (called premium colour by Toyota!) and Silver. Do scratches show up more on Champagne Gold? If so, then we may be better off with Silver.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:45   #18
BANNED

Buy the Innova that comes with the separate seats in the middle row, i guess its the 7 seater. The middle row seats are really comfortable and much more enjoyable than a bench.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:24   #19
BHPian

I agree with that, but if I am going to be driving, the comfort of the middle seats is not that important is it? Would'nt it be far more convenient to go for the 8 seater (bench in the middle) and fold up the rear most seats to liberate a good amount of luggage space?

BTW, can anyone suggest what accessories I need to plan for the Innova VX version?
Old 10th March 2011, 17:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Go in for a Innova.

A great product with reliable service of Toyota.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:34   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
I agree with that, but if I am going to be driving, the comfort of the middle seats is not that important is it? Would'nt it be far more convenient to go for the 8 seater (bench in the middle) and fold up the rear most seats to liberate a good amount of luggage space?

BTW, can anyone suggest what accessories I need to plan for the Innova VX version?
You can fold up the rear seats even in the other version i guess. 7 seater is far more comfortable and also more practical to store stuff as the seats can individually move forwards and backwards.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:40   #22
BHPian

I have had an experience with both the 7 seater and the 8 seater Innova as we had them in our family at different times. In my opinion, the 7 seater is way better if you dont have to haul people around as its less nauseous and the third row is much more usable [getting in and out]. In fact that was the main reason we traded. As for folding them up, its pretty straight forward and should not be a concern.
As for accessories, you can definitely go for sunfilm, ICE upgrade and damping.

P.S. Its a really long lasting and reliable car
Old 10th March 2011, 20:16   #23
BHPian

@vartakavi - Since only two people will travel most of the time, I would suggest to for 7 seater. Trust me it would be very comfortable and you would love to sit in the rear seat more than the driver seat . Folding rear sear is not big task, in fact you can do it with one hand, and you just need to ask the SA to give a full demo of all the features and that should help.

Regarding used Innova, check out with Toyota U-Trust dealer in your city they should have some good models with less KM in the ODO. Also you would get a quality certified car from them if the vehicle is less than 5 years old, car will be certified if and only there are no accidents in the car and they are also eligible for some warranty and free service. I have bought 1 Corolla and 1 Camry from U-trust and their service, quality is exceptionally well.

Upgrades:-

Reverse sensor - It should help you in parking the monster in tight parking
ICE - If you are really an ICE freak otherwise OE should suffice
Sun film - Vkool or 3M
Head Light - Innova head light are not efficient, since you travel mostly on highway I would suggest you upgrade to powerful light.
Scratch guards for 4 corners

Last edited by camchennai : 10th March 2011 at 20:34.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:22   #24
BHPian

@CamChennai, I agree on your point of fiesta being a dated car (in fact, i forgot that new fiesta is around the corner!!!) but 90% spares of ford are cheap now compared to Hyundai. I know this as i own a Hyundai and one of my friends own a fiesta.
But still i would prefer Fiesta over SX4 any day, for sheer driving pleasure. Just my POV

@Vartakavi,
As others pointed out, 7 seater it should be. Reason: comfortable middle row.
Accessories: sun film, better tyres (experts can comment), ICE upgrade if you are a music lover.
Its a very reliable vehicle you can own as a second car. Have been in many Innovas clocked more than 2L kms and found them rattle free, running as good as new. Its a safe bet.
Old 10th March 2011, 21:28   #25
BHPian

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. I will go in for a 7 seater Innova VX.

I will call up the Toyota dealers here tomorrow and speak to the sales persons handling the Used Cars. I will feel far more comfortable if there is a warranty and Company assurance. That was a very good suggestion!

About the accessories, would definitely go for Sunfilm. I think reverse parking sensors come with the VX model - but if not, that's a definite yes.

I do not do much of night driving, but sometimes (like in Summer), driving up to 9 pm or so becomes necessary. How do I go about upgrading the Head lamps? Put in more powerful bulbs or go for a different type of bulbs?

ICE upgrade....does this mean junking the system that comes with the car? Is there a way to improve the Music System without spending too much?

Does the Innova have a good horn? Or does that also need an Upgrade? A loud horn will be of great help on ghat roads -- I've had a number of 'close encounters' on the ghat road to Kodaikanal with taxi drivers driving down at high speeds around blind corners...
Old 11th March 2011, 00:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:

I do not do much of night driving, but sometimes (like in Summer), driving up to 9 pm or so becomes necessary. How do I go about upgrading the Head lamps? Put in more powerful bulbs or go for a different type of bulbs?

Does the Innova have a good horn? Or does that also need an Upgrade? A loud horn will be of great help on ghat roads -- I've had a number of 'close encounters' on the ghat road to Kodaikanal with taxi drivers driving down at high speeds around blind corners...
You need to put powerful bulb, search in forum you will get the exact wattage and other details.

Music system is Panasonic and its very good for normal listeners, if you still need better sound then you can upgrade the speakers.

Horn has to be upgraded, it will not suffice for Ghat road and high way driving. Its better safe than sorry.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:33   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. I will go in for a 7 seater Innova VX.

I will call up the Toyota dealers here tomorrow and speak to the sales persons handling the Used Cars. I will feel far more comfortable if there is a warranty and Company assurance. That was a very good suggestion!

About the accessories, would definitely go for Sunfilm. I think reverse parking sensors come with the VX model - but if not, that's a definite yes.

ICE upgrade....does this mean junking the system that comes with the car? Is there a way to improve the Music System without spending too much?

A very good decision of going with the innova vx. You will be very satisfied i am sure.
Yes, you do get parking sensors with the vx variant. They are very accurate.

You can upgrade the bulbs to osram night breakers or philips 90/100. These are the best.

About the stereo, you will get the toyota original music system which does not have an aux or usb input. IMHO, you should go for the other music systems the dealer itself provides. You can get a nice jvc screen fitted instead of the music system from the dealer itself
Old 11th March 2011, 14:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post

Music system is Panasonic and its very good for normal listeners, if you still need better sound then you can upgrade the speakers.
+1 camchennai.

The music system is good but the speakers are Malaysia/Thailand made.(unbranded)

You could buy infinity high performance speakers for better sound quality.
Old 12th March 2011, 12:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Go for Innova with captain seats. That gives you loads of baggage space, which is important on long journeys, you ca literally carry 15-30 days worth of rations, drinks and other camping paraphernalia for two persons, impossible to accommodate in smaller sedans.

My personal opinion is against sun films, especially if you are going to drive on highways. Visibility at dusk reduces a lot, and parking in dimly lit areas a problem. I have moved in Innova in mid summer in Northern India, and the AC chills the vehicle.

Get a new one if finances are no problem and keep it as long as you fancy, as the Toyota engine is good for 2-3L km. A thought, in case you can increase your budget, go for the Fortuner. That vehicle will give you ride-anywhere capability on our roads, and will be a fun to drive in the Himalayas.
Old 13th March 2011, 10:13   #30
BHPian

Thanks - I stretched my budget from 10 lakhs for the SX4 Diesel to 15 lakhs for the Innova VX. Can't stetch any more for the Fortuner!

Going by your feedback, I think I should upgrade the built-in Music system that comes with the VX version. Question: Do dealers give some cash value for the system and speakers that come with the car, or does the upgrade mean junking the stock system and putting in a new one? Can anyone who has done this upgrade let me know which system is good and how much it will cost me? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks