Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 16:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo or Tata Safari

Tata products are not at all bad, I have personally had tata since last 7 years, Indica and now the Vista and I am a big fan of Safari too. Its the A.S.S which makes the cars bad - due to negligence at their end. I am faced lot of issues with my vista due to the negligence of the service centre - Balaji Motors Thane but then too that does not mean the Vista is a bad car, in fact its a very good vfm in that segment.

So don't worry and go ahead and buy the Safari you shall not regret the decision.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:04   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You've owned your Grande for less than 1.5 years and already want to sell it

No offense, but it would be an extremely silly decision. Two reasons:

- You'll easily lose a whopping 3 lakhs (or more) on your 1.xx year old Grande. Remember, cars depreciate the quickest in the first 3 years.

- I don't think the Xylo or Safari are that much better than the Grande. I mean, you'll lose 3 odd lakhs on the Grande and then spend another 4 - 5 lakhs on a Xylo / Safari. What's the point? Sure, they may be better in some ways....but the loss you will suffer is simply too much! The differential value is definitely NOT 7 - 8 lakhs worth. No, I do NOT think you will be getting what you're paying for in a Xylo or Safari (considering the depreciation hit on your Grande).

Also, if you've financed your Grande, think of the expensive foreclosure.

I've driven the Grande and will be the first to tell you it's an old lady. Equally, Tata has continually refined the package and I do think it's still competent. Plus, the Sumo / Grande have an excellent reliability record (the best amongst Tata vehicles actually).

Spend a li'l money in customising your Grande (music system, better interiors, alloys...whatever) and use it for another couple of years. And hey, the money you saved (by not buying the Xylo / Safari) can be invested. Put it in a smart place and think of an Aria / Fortuner / whatever 5 - 6 years down the line. Sometimes, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2011 at 21:05.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 21:26   #33
BHPian

@GTO thanks for your suggestion. But think in this way I have not taken extended warranty. And nearly every alternate month the Discs are getting damaged. And considering this if the warranty gets over then I have to pay for the discs also. And also it is a pain to sit in their workshop for 7-8hours and coming back without any success. I have already listed the problems in Technical Section. The place where the seat belt is located air is coming from that region. And also in the last row the problem is present. i dont know the cause. And every person has suggested me be it workshop or dealership to sell the car as it will continue having problems. So due to this I want to sell it off.

Regards
Old 24th March 2011, 21:35   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

HappyRoadie, if your house suffers from water leakage tomorrow, will you sell the property off abruptly? And what makes you think that a Tata Safari is niggle-free?

Faulty discs is not an impossible problem, and any competent, independent garage would be able to easily sort it out for you. Ignore the warranty and pay 10 - 15K if you have to; the disc problem really isn't that big a deal.

I think you need an expert mechanic or garage...NOT a new car!
Old 25th March 2011, 04:00   #35
BHPian

@HappyRoadie
I feel you should seriously reconsider your decision to get rid of your grande that still is pretty young and has loads of serviceable life left in it.

As GTO pointed out, you are loosing too much value and it does not make good financial sense.

The problems that you have mentioned regarding refinement, discs and wind noise are problems that have an equal chance of cropping up in the safari that is derived from the same mother ship.

if these problems crop up in the next tata you buy, would you consider selling that as well after a short period of ownership?
Depreciation losses would amount up to a small hatchback at least.

But if you are willing to take a hit this once then i would suggest that you extend your budget and get something like a toyota innova which would serve you well for a long time to come as well as offer better after sales experience.
the premium that you would pay for the innova over your 9 lac budget would justify itself over the fuss free years of ownership and yet again at the time of selling the car.

also i think you should give your grande a real thorough check up and then take a few days off work and find a competent workshop that would work with you and makes sure that all your issues are sorted out.

present grande + focussed TLC --> niggles free grande= good financial equation
Old 25th March 2011, 06:21   #36
BHPian

Ok. as suggested let me get my grande checked. And if I Manage to sell it off at a good price then only I will proceed.

@GTO which brand would you suggest to go with Tata or Mahindra??
Old 25th March 2011, 14:50   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy would like to suggest that you get the current issues with the Grande resolved first and think about a new car later.

If issues like the one you have faced in the Grande are not acceptable / workable then I feel that neither TATA nor Mahindra would be an option for you in the price range that you have indicated as products from both have their own -ves and one needs to be content with the +ve aspects and overlook the -ves.

Suggest that if you do have to change (and that is definately not recommended) then options are limited to if you can spulge a bit on the Innova and if a bit more then the Aria or wait for the new Merlin. But sticking to the Grande is still a better option right now. One simply can't get bored so soon.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
@roy_libran I have not yet finalized. I have just given my budget. Xylo E4 and Safari LX fit the budget. After reading all the comments I am slightly leaning over Safari.

Regards
I was in a similar confusion few months back. Contemplating between Xylo and Safari. Finally, I opted for Safari. I have this vehicle for me for around a month now and I am happy with it performance, power and absolute comfort on the roads.

- I wouldn't give much credibility to the Niggle Story. I think its overhyped. I haven't faced any problem with my Safari though you might say its too early to judge it.
- Dont equate the TASS service for Safari with any other Tata Vehicle. The Safari customers are considered as a Premium segment and given utmost care. I was pretty happy with the way my issues were handled in the 1st Service.

Having Said that, these are the areas where I found stark difference between Xylo and Safari:

- Turning Radius: Yes, the long TR of Safari is a pain. Its shorter in Xylo.
- Handling: Xylo gives you more of a Car like handling feel while Safari would really take some time to get used to it.
- Looks: Should not be a question on this.. Safari rules anyday with any vehicle in this segment.
- Comfort: The test drive vehicle which I used for Xylo had a pretty decent seating comfort. I loved the captain seats in Xylo.. Lot of space even in the 3rd seat of Xylo. I had used the test Xylo on bad patch of road as low speed and I was NOT disappointed. Safari is definitely very comfortable in both the front and middle seat.. The rear seats of Safari have not been used by me but I dont see them as very comfortable from the egronomics point of view also.

Finally, in my case, I was sold out to the looks of Safari.
I bought a 4 years and 40000kms AMC for Safari which means, I wont have to spend much for next 4 years.. That should keep any maintenance related expense very low.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
If you are not bowled over by the charm of a safari, I did suggest you the Xylo for its Mahindra reliability and the 6 comfortable seats it offers. Also in long run I feel Xylo will be comparitively niggle free when compared to Safari.

But to be truthful i am too bowled over by a Safari's charm.
(PS: I own a tata car).

Bro, you are just going by perception.. there is no real data to prove that relatively new Xylo would be niggle free compared to Safari.
There has been disproportionate bad mouthing about Safari because its bought by people who are really passionate about an SUV and not just any car. So, even a small issue in the Safari pinches them and finds a way to this forum.
Other car owners might just ignore the small niggles or may not even notice them.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Bro, you are just going by perception.. there is no real data to prove that relatively new Xylo would be niggle free compared to Safari.
There has been disproportionate bad mouthing about Safari because its bought by people who are really passionate about an SUV and not just any car. So, even a small issue in the Safari pinches them and finds a way to this forum.
Other car owners might just ignore the small niggles or may not even notice them.
I too agree with recker's point. Tata's has been badmouthed, a lot. Primarily because first, they have a taxi image , which itself says a lot about it's reliability and VFM package. Second being, people who buy SUV's like Safari have very strong emotions about their vehicle.
There was one thread in this forum in which somebody's posting which read something like "I own a Swift. But even though i have small problems with it, i will not post it anywhere..." and actually he had written some issues which i don't exactly remember.. But this in itself says a lot...

Even if you have bought anny vehicle, there's no way to guarantee that you are not going to face any issues. And, tata's A.S.S is not that bad..

whenever i have to get the service done, i do give them a printout of the problems faced, even though they are 1 or 2.. and i tell them upfront that you resolve these issues and tell me what you actually did for resolving those issues..
And i always get proper response from them.. Tata's A.S.S is not that bad at all... there might be small instances here and there.. but then , it's with every other car.. only some people are more vocal than others.. no offense meant to anyone..
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:45   #41
BHPian

Hi
Considering changing the car within a year and half with not much miles on the odometer is not a prudent decision. You stand to loose a lot on that front as rightly pointed out by GTO.
I own a xylo and have driven safari, innova. My personal choice would be Innova any day. Now safari handles very well on the road and comparable to innova with a great driver seat. If you are driving the vehicle i think you would enjoy the safari seating position better than the innova. But after couple of years you should be prepared to spend some time in sorting out the niggles. The after sales service of tata has improved but still a long way off in comparison to the competitors. Xylo is a excellent value for money product and gives better mileage in comparision to safari and on par with innova. Easy to drive in the city and behaves well on highways too. Give a straight road there would not be any difference between xylo and innova. But if you are taking curves at high speeds xylo scores inferior to innova and safari. Body roll is significant in xylo in comparision to the other two. If you are a sedate driver you can go ahead with xylo provided you like the exteriors. I like it and am driving it for the last year and half and till date have not had any issue with the performance of the vehicle, handling, mileage and service (Have to nail the service advisors a few time to get things done). On a simpler note, in city, handling xylo is easier than safari and if you compare the mileage xylo will win hands down. Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 2nd April 2011 at 12:46.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:15   #42
BHPian

Hi, A lot of experts have already given their opinion, but let me offer you my two-bit in case it helps you.

Background:
I own a used Innova and a new Xylo.
Ownership experience:
Between the two, my second-hand 5-yr old innova workhorse is leagues ahead of the new Xylo, in all aspects of refinement, ride, handling, quality & after sales service.
Reason: The Innova is still among the best engineered vehicles on Indian roads today and is built to last forever.
My opinion:
On Safari: Don't go for it because tata is planning to launch a new safari on a new platform soon. When this happens the existing safari will lose its value in the used-car market so you won't get much when you sell.
Xylo vs Innova: If your budget permits, opt for an innova. Otherwise you may consider a used Innova, but check its service record and buy it from an authorized used-car dealer like Mahindra first choice. The Innova (even in a used avatar) will not disappoint you.
Footnote: Remember, I didn't say the Xylo is bad, only said the Innova is better
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:41   #43
BHPian

Hi
@CARvalho
Nobody could have put it better mate. I am currently looking at the market for a used innova and your input has helped me. Your footnote says it all. Cheers.
@Happyroadie: Waiting to see which route you take. Cheers.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:57   #44
BHPian

Hello all sorry could not reply as was busy. Few days back my car was sent to the the workshop as bearing of the front left wheel was broken. This time they attended quite nicely. Work was also done on time. Another problem being with the windscreen washers. Water was not coming out from them. So it was also changed and the lock system of the left door was changed. I am thinking that they have improved their after sales and service. So it would not be a problem if I go with TATA again. I hope everyone agrees??

Regards
Old 5th April 2011, 10:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello all sorry could not reply as was busy. Few days back my car was sent to the the workshop as bearing of the front left wheel was broken. This time they attended quite nicely. Work was also done on time. Another problem being with the windscreen washers. Water was not coming out from them. So it was also changed and the lock system of the left door was changed. I am thinking that they have improved their after sales and service. So it would not be a problem if I go with TATA again. I hope everyone agrees??

Regards

Good to hear HappyRoadie that they attended properly. From next time, i think it would be better if you talk to the same rep who serviced you this time.

It's always good if you get your car serviced from the same guy, always, even if you have to wait for him for half an hour at the service station. They do remember a lot about their customers and the cars they attend to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks