Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:31   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo or Tata Safari

I am planning to buy a new vehicle after selling my Grande. I have shortlisted these two vehicles. I know they belong to different class of vehicles but still would like to know your opinion. Xylo was not in my list but only Safari and Scorpio. Day before yesterday only one of my relatives had come to meet us. Their I saw that they have a Xylo and so I took somewhat a test drive. I was really impressed with the seating and front visibility. So this is how Xylo also entered. Am really confused between these two. If I go for Xylo then I will go for E4 variant and if Safari then I will go with LX. So please suggest which will be a better choice.

Regards
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:13   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Xylo or Tata Safari

Decide first what kind of application you will be using the vehicle for.

Is the vehicle meant mainly as a people + luggage mover or a comfy highway cruiser or to be used in the city.

The Safari can seat 5 people + luggage in great comfort and handle plenty of luggage too.

The Xylo can also seat 5 people + luggage in great comfort and handle lots of luggage.

In another avatar both these vehicles can adapt to becoming 7/8 seaters but with next to zero luggage capacity. In both these vehicles the last row can be claustrophobic and cramped.

Given their current pricing both the Xylo E4 and Safari Lx are comparable.

Both have good engines, are diesel powered, economical to run and maintain (for the most part).

The Xylo may have a slight edge on passenger comfort and facilities in comparison to the Safari because it is designed primarily to be a less expensive alternative to the more pricey Innova.

In all fairness the Xylo is pretty ugly but the Safari is a handsome looker.

Main question is do you want a VAN type vehicle or do you want an SUV look?

Once you answer this for yourself, you will be able to decide very easily.

I would also suggest that you consider a brand new Innova because whatever anyone may say, the Innova is a triumph of quality, reliability and overall comfort. It has an extremely refined diesel engine and handles quite like a car. And there is no doubt in my mind that the Innova is far more refined in fit and finish and has greater finesse than the poor second-cousin-twice-removed, the Xylo!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd March 2011 at 10:15.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Shankar ji,

I was comtemplating buying a used safari but after seeing 211 pages in TBHP with list of niggles and issues with the Safari, thought it would be quite demanding on the owners' time and money. But you have mentioned it is low on maintenence, is it because of the AMC/Extended warranty? Wouldn't one still have to spend time on trips to service centers and face the possiblity of getting stuck during the long tour?
Now I am thniking of a used Innova, but the budget will get too stretched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Decide first what kind of application you will be using the vehicle for.

Is the vehicle meant mainly as a people + luggage mover or a comfy highway cruiser or to be used in the city.

The Safari can seat 5 people + luggage in great comfort and handle plenty of luggage too.

The Xylo can also seat 5 people + luggage in great comfort and handle lots of luggage.

In another avatar both these vehicles can adapt to becoming 7/8 seaters but with next to zero luggage capacity. In both these vehicles the last row can be claustrophobic and cramped.

Given their current pricing both the Xylo E4 and Safari Lx are comparable.

Both have good engines, are diesel powered, economical to run and maintain (for the most part).

The Xylo may have a slight edge on passenger comfort and facilities in comparison to the Safari because it is designed primarily to be a less expensive alternative to the more pricey Innova.

In all fairness the Xylo is pretty ugly but the Safari is a handsome looker.

Main question is do you want a VAN type vehicle or do you want an SUV look?

Once you answer this for yourself, you will be able to decide very easily.

I would also suggest that you consider a brand new Innova because whatever anyone may say, the Innova is a triumph of quality, reliability and overall comfort. It has an extremely refined diesel engine and handles quite like a car. And there is no doubt in my mind that the Innova is far more refined in fit and finish and has greater finesse than the poor second-cousin-twice-removed, the Xylo!
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:43   #4
BHPian

Maybe this will help...

A few weeks back I was ferried to the Mumbai Airport in my office Xylo. And the ride on the middle row captain seat was......er...BUMPY. No other word to describe it. I was clinging on to dear life. Mahindra has made no changes to the XYLO and it remains bouncy like the Scorpio.

2 hours later I hired an Innova in Delhi to ferry me around town, and the ride on the middle row captain seat in the Innova is.....magical.

Now, I haven't been inside of a Safari for long, but I am pretty sure that it isn't as bumpy and bouncy as the XYLO. No doubt the XYLO is a capable people mover. But in all due respect, it's downright ugly.

Hence my vote is for the Safari.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:50   #5
BANNED

Like Skoda I think poor old Tatas have had their share of excessive negative speculation.
I also did subscribe to the possibility of electronic niggles and worries with Tata vehicles. I still dont really feel super comfortable with vehicles that have masses of electronics driving them.
But my dad has a Tata Indica DLG turbo and in the 5 years that this car has been with us, he has diligently followed every single recommendation for its maintenance. Of course the Fuel pump packed up in 3 years and then the battery has been changed and the Front Power Windows motor assembly died and all that but I think this is normal wear and tear over 5 years.
Tata Service may not be the best because they are very busy dealing with the zillions of Indicabs and Sumos and so on.
But the Safari, over the last 11 odd years that it has existed in India, has been honed and refined to a very large extent. The vehicle's design is also very good in terms of comfort and other things.
It is a bit big and people do find it tough to handle as a daily drive in the city what with parking etc being a pain. But it is a very comfy highway cruiser there is no doubt about it.
The cost of maintenance should not be over-much in the first 3-4 years of its life because you must take out the Extended Warranty from Tata's and have it serviced only at the Authorized workshops. It is a good idea to develop a rapport with the workshop staff because more than any company process, a good relationship goes a far longer way, in getting good service.
As a straight comparison, the Xylo's maintenance costs over the same 4 year period will probably end up being a bit less than the Safari. This is because the spares etc cost a bit less.

Having said all of the above I would still suggest you look at an Innova - absolute peace of mind guaranteed!

Buying New vs Buying used.
Personally I would not recommend buying used Safari's or Xylo's or even Innova's unless you know the previous owner personally very well. Innovas are more reliable so you may still take a chance with a used one but not in the case of the other two.
Suggest you try and stretch and get yourself a new one- that is best.
Also I agree with Iceman - the Xylo and Scorpio middle row is a bumpy ride. The vehicle suspension is setup in such a way as to cause the vehicle to sway from side to side while going over speed breakers and bumps etc. The Innova on the other hand goes up and down and doesnt sway. Hence it is very comfy to sit in the middle row. The Safari also pitches quite a bit over speed breakers and bumps but it is definitely more comfy in the middle row that the Xylo or the Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Shankar ji,

I was comtemplating buying a used safari but after seeing 211 pages in TBHP with list of niggles and issues with the Safari, thought it would be quite demanding on the owners' time and money. But you have mentioned it is low on maintenence, is it because of the AMC/Extended warranty? Wouldn't one still have to spend time on trips to service centers and face the possiblity of getting stuck during the long tour?
Now I am thniking of a used Innova, but the budget will get too stretched.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd March 2011 at 10:54.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

@HappyRoadie - some points to confuse you even more:

1. The Safari LX doesn't have a roof mounted dual AC like the EX, GX & VX variants, while the Xylo E4 has a dual AC (listed as Surround cool dual AC's on the website).

2. Xylo offers unmatched leg space for the 3rd row passenger; something for you to ponder if the vehicle will have more than 5 passengers frequently.

3. It's true that the Safari has less bounce and roll than the Xylo; however, if the Xylo has a decent amount of load (more than 3 adults in it), then the bounciness reduces significantly.

4. Xylo is more nimble and maneuverable for city driving than the Safari, while the Safari wins hands down in highway cruising.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd March 2011 at 11:06.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since you are already open enough to a Xylo, to be able to put it in contention, unusually so though, with a Safari, here is my take:
XYLO PROS -
Better Space and Seating in all rows.
Better interiors and knick-knacks.
Very nice and reliable engine.
Very good city and highway performance. Safari is very good for highways.
Lower Spare part cost.
Better Service Experience than Tata.
Very good Fit and Finish.
XYLO CONS -
A slightly bumpy ride, but it does not matter much if you have four adults on board.
Shape, but it does grow on you enough to make you neutral towards it.
Somewhat lower Ground Clearance.
Somewhat inferior handling.

Call it a perception thing, but from whatever I have gleaned from my own and my friends' experiences, I'd anyday go with a Mahindra than a Tata. Please don't beat me up for this statement.

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd March 2011 at 11:06. Reason: Slight error in typing.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@HappyRoadie,
You have not mentioned your budget for your next vehicle.
Any ways I'll post my opinions which might help you in your decision making process.

Innova (I have travelled many times in this vehicle but not driven this yet)
+ It is by far the best vehicle in this category.
+ It is way ahead in all respects compared to the other 2.
+ Can be driven around inside city fairly easily
- But it is costlier than the other two (for the same features).

Xylo (Travelled and driven this car)
+ VFM package
+ Leg room is much better than the other two (especially 3rd row)
+ Can be driven around inside city fairly easily
- Ugly (but you can take heart that there are uglier vehicles around)
- Bouncy (did not like this at all)
- I hate the plastic quality

Safari (no experience sitting in this, leave alone driving)
+ Aggresive looks (I just love the looks)
- Quality is not as good as Innova I believe.
- Not so good for city driving

If budget is not THE criteria my vote goes to Innova any day.
Safari comes next
For me, Xylo is a compromise.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:08   #9
BANNED

lets not get into M&M vs TATA.

I ve also been a die hard M&M person but with the passage of time and greater no of options available to us consumers, I have slowly migrated in my mind beyond this on account of more and better options as mentioned above.

We are also Tata customers because we own one TATA vehicle. It is 5 years old and in beautiful condition. Hence I will NOT any longer endorse a blanket statement that M&M is more reliable than TATA.

Perhaps it was the case some years ago(2004-2008) but as of now (2011), I dont think this is true any more. In the current scenario they are more or less equal.

The only thing is that I as a consumer may not be comfortable paying big bucks for either an M&M W201 type of SUV OR a Tata Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Since you are already open enough to a Xylo, to be able to put it in contention, unusually so though, with a Safari, here is my take:
XYLO PROS -
Better Space and Seating in all rows.
Better interiors and knick-knacks.
Very nice and reliable engine.
Very good city and highway performance. Safari is very good for highways.
Lower Spare part cost.
Better Service Experience than Tata.
Very good Fit and Finish.
XYLO CONS -
A slightly bumpy ride, but it does not matter much if you have four adults on board.
Shape, but it does grow on you enough to make you neutral towards it.
Somewhat lower Ground Clearance.
Somewhat inferior handling.

Call it a perception thing, but from whatever I have gleaned from my own and my friends' experiences, I'd anyday go with a Mahindra than a Tata. Please don't beat me up for this statement.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd March 2011 at 11:15.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I asked you not to beat me up on this, and I also said that it is a perception thing. Let it go.

By the way, about 6 months back, a relative of mine in Bangalore went from the Innova Top End (after 3 years of ownership) to a Xylo E8 with ABS.
He has already done multiple highway runs, towards Mangalore and Kerala, and drives it regularly in the City.
Met him last week, and he could not stop raving about the Xylo. I asked him pointedly that wasn't Innova a better car and that he had in fact downgraded? He said, absolutely not! He was very happy with the package that the Xylo offered and rated it over the Innova, apart from the money he saved by not buying another Innova.
I was Sceptical, to be honest, but that is a true account of an owner's perspective, and one who is in a very good position to compare!
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Agree Shankar. If I were to summarize my position with respect to all three vehicles in a line, this is what it would be:
XYLO - The best VFM offering, with optimum balance of features and cost.
INNOVA - The bext engineered vehicle but with a very high price tag.
SAFARI - An aspirational product, and those who want it will buy it come what may.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2011 at 17:38. Reason: Quoted post is being deleted
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
XYLO - The best VFM offering, with optimum balance of features and cost.
INNOVA - The bext engineered vehicle but with a very high price tag.
SAFARI - An aspirational product, and those who want it will buy it come what may.
Very well put! When I was doing the pre-purchase research, Innova lost out purely on the price point.
In addition, in my apartment complex, I also had the ease of parking amongst the top requirements which Xylo scored over the Safari. Last row comfort is the best amongst all three.
For similar price point, Safari scores in terms of sheer presence and the confidence to go anywhere. Xylo is yet to prove itself being a more recent offer and the selling point is the comfort and space inside.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:21   #13
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable comments. My budget is around 9 lakhs on road. And as pointed above I have driven both the vehicles and found both of them equally promising. That is why I asked for your suggestions. And it is pointed out very nicely. So after reading the comments I think that I should go with Safari.

My main aim is that the car should carry 6 with luggage easily.

@sindabad.sailor In my opinion you should stay away from Grande. I dont know about MKII but the previous Grande was full of faults. Even I have faced so many problems. Discs got damaged after 6 or 7 months of purchase. NVH levels are high. Also the road visibility of road is not good. Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:48   #14
BANNED

9L on road means you will be able to manage the Safari LX.
good that you've decided. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks all for your valuable comments. My budget is around 9 lakhs on road. And as pointed above I have driven both the vehicles and found both of them equally promising. That is why I asked for your suggestions. And it is pointed out very nicely. So after reading the comments I think that I should go with Safari.

My main aim is that the car should carry 6 with luggage easily.

@sindabad.sailor In my opinion you should stay away from Grande. I dont know about MKII but the previous Grande was full of faults. Even I have faced so many problems. Discs got damaged after 6 or 7 months of purchase. NVH levels are high. Also the road visibility of road is not good. Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^ That decision came a bit too quick I guess. :-((

Took the fun out of the arguments. :-))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks