Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 21:41   #46
gemi_kk

Re: Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Is that half or 1 to 2 people? Which SUV are you planning to buy. It is not must but I guess you will have more peace of mind.

Aug is a rush but it is relatively dry weather so it will be easier for Sedans, but our trip is mostly towards the end of Aug so mostly in Sept.
If i come by my car, then a friend of mine might accompany me. But i havent discussed it with him yet. Planning for Duster

Reg dates, it should be fine if you could publish the confirmed dates in advance so that the dates could be blocked.

Old 6th December 2012, 21:43   #47
gemi_kk

How many Kilometers it would be from Hyderabad. I am currently counting it as 5000Km round trip.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 6th December 2012 at 21:44. Reason: grammar

Old 6th December 2012, 23:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK's log files have been a lot of help
I'm very bad at hotels in & around Mumbai even though I have been here all my life, HVK sir to our rescue. HVK sir log files are very detailed and the best bet for any trip.

Quote:
more detailed stops and plans is being made as I speak. This should be ready by this weekend.
Do post about it. Even though dates are quite far away, a little bit of info & knowledge gives constant motivation to get Leh'ed in Aug'13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
How many Kilometers it would be from Hyderabad. I am currently counting it as 5000Km round trip.
If you did the journey directly via Hyderabad crossing through central India, the figure would be around ~5500 Kms round trip and if you did Hyderanad-Mumbai-Leh it did be around ~6300 Kms. Reference Gmaps.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
If you are joining our group then it will be apprx 6500-7000 kms as we are planning to cover quite a few places.

You should get in touch with Gauravdgr8 as he is confirmed for the trip from Hyd.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:19   #50
BHPian

Posting for the 1st time.

I'll be driving from Hyderabad in my Vista and the detailed route has been put up on the FB Group. Round trip comes to 6909 kms.

Currently the Hyderabad team looks as such:

1. gauravdgr8 - Vista
2. Sagar Tamboli - Joining the Vista (Tentative - not on TeamBHP)

As we would be carrying a lot of extra stuff, I would not fill the Vista with 4 people.

Gemi: PM me your number so we can take this forward.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 10th December 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Added text
Old 10th December 2012, 18:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Everybody, it would be good if the detailed info were also posted here, since not everyone may be on facebook.

Also let's start putting together a list of must-have and nice-to-have equipment, for the car as well as occupants. I know many of you will say it's been already posted here and there, and surely on FB and on the internet there will be a treasure trove, but just like the occupants, it would be good if we can have a separate list here. People may be able to decide the priorities as well pool equipment if possible.
Old 10th December 2012, 23:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Everybody, it would be good if the detailed info were also posted here, since not everyone may be on facebook.

Also let's start putting together a list of must-have and nice-to-have equipment, for the car as well as occupants. I know many of you will say it's been already posted here and there, and surely on FB and on the internet there will be a treasure trove, but just like the occupants, it would be good if we can have a separate list here. People may be able to decide the priorities as well pool equipment if possible.
Valid point and i must say that taking ur Nano though sounds far fetched but it can be done. In the hills u will have lesser range so that fuel tank capacity might be an issue.

Will be posting routes and dates soon.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

It's going to be an important factor even when driving on the plains, as we shall have to make more frequent refuelling stops. However if I can get another driver with me, we might be also able to switch drivers using this opportunity.

I am in two minds, as to whether to join the main convoy from Mumbai or plan an independent travel till maybe Amritsar or Srinagar and join the main group from there. In any case I would want to do the main circuit Srinagar - Leh - Manali with the group.

Regarding the dates, Ganesh Chaturthi is on 9th Sept, so we need to be back well before it. I am targetting the first seven days of Sept is all we can spare then. If we assume three days each of travelling to and fro the region, and spend five days on the main circuit, starting on 24th Aug just about cuts it. This also depends on the other occupants and their leave schedules.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:20   #54
BHPian

Honeybee doing the trip in a Nano is possible .Anyways if you are in a convoy the fuel tank capacity will not be a issue as you can carry extra fuel and there will be others to help you out if you do get stuck.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the dates, Ganesh Chaturthi is on 9th Sept, so we need to be back well before it. I am targetting the first seven days of Sept is all we can spare then. If we assume three days each of travelling to and fro the region, and spend five days on the main circuit, starting on 24th Aug just about cuts it. This also depends on the other occupants and their leave schedules.
In that case the dates will not match, because 5 days in Ladakh is pretty less for the plans that the group has.

Our date range currently fixed between 24th Aug to 15th Sept (Blr - Leh - Blr)

Main Leh circuit dates are from 3rd Sept to 8th Sept. Which is a total of 7 days. + 1 day buffer for any emergencies.

It would be great to have a Nano in the group considering the number of Tata vehicles present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Honeybee doing the trip in a Nano is possible .Anyways if you are in a convoy the fuel tank capacity will not be a issue as you can carry extra fuel and there will be others to help you out if you do get stuck.
Going on the main circuit with the Nano is not a problem as we can carry fuel. But its on the plains that frequent fuel stops will tick off times. We need to spend as less time on the plains as possible to maximize our days on the hills.

Here is the dates & places list which has been fixed for the time being.

Name:  Leh2013.png
Views: 655
Size:  15.2 KB

Current folks on-board

1 - Tata Manza - 4 People - Confirmed - Blr (motomaverick)
1 - Tata Vista - 2 People - Confirmed - Hyd (gauravdgr8)
1 - XUV 500 - 3 People - Confirmed - Blr (tushargohil)
1 - Punto - 1 People - Confirmed - Blr (royalcruiser)
1 - Vento - 3 People - Tentative - Navi Mumbai (el lobo 6061)
1 - Duster - 1 People - Tentative - Hyd (gemi_kk)

Last edited by motomaverick : 11th December 2012 at 10:11.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I do want to do this trip in my nANO! ...

...I do want to bring my Nano on the expedition, however the tiny fuel tank of 15ltrs means she will make more pit stops to refuel (the effective range should still be around a respectable 300kms). Plus with the restricted luggage space, I may only be able to carry a single passenger, or at a stretch two...
honeybee,
A small inspiration from my side:
Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013-dsc_0424_01.jpg
This was on August 17th 2012 at the Magnetic hill

Just imagine your nano here!

As far as the range is concerned, nano should atleast give you 225kms (15x15) on a full tank.
You'll find fuelling options within this range IMO. Only between Leh-Tandi will you may need to carry additional fuel in the car. (~370 kms between 2 fuel stations)
you additionally get fuel at small camps in some of the passes (at a small premium though)
Old 11th December 2012, 20:38   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the dates, Ganesh Chaturthi is on 9th Sept, so we need to be back well before it.
This totally skipped my mind. How could I forget. Well it should not be a deterrent.

Having a Nano as company would be great. We can actually have a group photo with a Nano, a Vista, a Manza and maybe a Safari.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Hey Doc! Thanks for the inspiring words. And that's exactly the reason I want to do at least the main circuit in a convoy.

Quote:
In that case the dates will not match, because 5 days in Ladakh is pretty less for the plans that the group has.
Do put me into the tentative list, at least!
I didn't know it would be a tight squeeze, I shall have to rework the dates and update here, however as of now it's not an option to not be home before 9 Sep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just imagine your nano here!
Thanks, buddy! I don't want to depend on too many variables. Lack of fuel is something I can plan for and should, instead of leaving it to chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
This totally skipped my mind. How could I forget. Well it should not be a deterrent.

Having a Nano as company would be great. We can actually have a group photo with a Nano, a Vista, a Manza and maybe a Safari.
Well, for me unfortunately it would be a constraint. So let me check and rework the schedule.

Regarding the time taken for refuelling stops, yes, it may throw the schedule of the convoy out of gear. However considering this and the fact that I shall have to operate under the constraint of being back home before 9 Sept, and my very very miserly estimate of the time taken for the main circuit, I shall post here a probable itinerary which I may be able to follow. If not together I could probably leave early and meet up with the convoy somewhere up North.
Old 12th December 2012, 01:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Our date range currently fixed between 24th Aug to 15th Sept (Blr - Leh - Blr)

Main Leh circuit dates are from 3rd Sept to 8th Sept. Which is a total of 7 days. + 1 day buffer for any emergencies.

It would be great to have a Nano in the group considering the number of Tata vehicles present.

Current folks on-board

1 - Tata Manza - 4 People - Confirmed - Blr (motomaverick)
1 - Tata Vista - 2 People - Confirmed - Hyd (gauravdgr8)
1 - XUV 500 - 3 People - Confirmed - Blr (tushargohil)
1 - Punto - 1 People - Confirmed - Blr (royalcruiser)
1 - Vento - 3 People - Tentative - Navi Mumbai (el lobo 6061)
1 - Duster - 1 People - Tentative - Hyd (gemi_kk)
Hello motomaverick,

I drove to Ladakh and back from Bombay this July/August in our 2003 Indigo petrol with a friend. 4 people in a Manza would be stretching it a bit too far in my opinion, but still very much doable. I say this from experience, as the rear seat and both rear footwells in our case were packed with stuff from day 1.

Apart from this, if you are going to go via Srinagar, and have nothing to do in Delhi, I suggest you bypass Delhi by taking this route: Bombay-Ahemadabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorghar-Kishanghar-Sardarshahar-Hanumanghar-Abohar-Shri Muktasar Sahib-Zira-Tran Taran-Amritsar-Pathankot-Jammu BP-Srinagar. I did Bombay-Amritsar in two days thanks to this route suggestion by HVK.

Nice to see a Nano going on this trip. You might have to carry fuel (petrol) on the Kishanghar-Abohar sector for the Nano, because during summer in Rajasthan, majority of the fuel stations cant pump petrol from their underground tanks due to the high temperatures. Atleast this is what we were told by atleast 4-5 petrol pumps near Sardarshahar when we went in for fuel. This happens only at petrol pumps with no roof. If its a covered petrol pump, then you should be fine.

Regards,
Aalok
Old 12th December 2012, 08:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do put me into the tentative list, at least!
I didn't know it would be a tight squeeze, I shall have to rework the dates and update here, however as of now it's not an option to not be home before 9 Sep.
Sure why not you are in the Tentative list, do share the dates, maybe you can plan to meet us at Leh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Hello motomaverick,

I drove to Ladakh and back from Bombay this July/August in our 2003 Indigo petrol with a friend. 4 people in a Manza would be stretching it a bit too far in my opinion, but still very much doable. I say this from experience, as the rear seat and both rear footwells in our case were packed with stuff from day 1.

Apart from this, if you are going to go via Srinagar, and have nothing to do in Delhi, I suggest you bypass Delhi by taking this route: Bombay-Ahemadabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorghar-Kishanghar-Sardarshahar-Hanumanghar-Abohar-Shri Muktasar Sahib-Zira-Tran Taran-Amritsar-Pathankot-Jammu BP-Srinagar. I did Bombay-Amritsar in two days thanks to this route suggestion by HVK.
Thanks for the route update, will be good to take this route. May I know the list of things you were carrying that the boot and rear seats were full?

@HVK Sir: If you are reading this thread, how is the following route to get in time for the Wagah border celebrations in the evening.

Behror - Rohtak - Jind - Sangrur - Moga - Wagah

Last edited by motomaverick : 12th December 2012 at 09:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks