Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 20:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions on hailing another Team-BHPian

Suggest different options of hailing a Team-BHPian once you see one may be on the road or in your parking lot or anywhere where you can spot one and have time to just say hey-yah!

This just occurred to me a little while ago. I had parked my car in front of a super market and when I returned, saw a Swift very closely parallel parked besides my vehicle.

It was a very tight spot to back my car and I was a little furious about the squeeze. Just then the other driver arrived and I was about to speak a few words of wisdom.

Just then my wifi squeaked - look at the sticker it's a TBHP car (nowadays she too spots one as second nature).

All my fumes around my ears calmed down suddenly once I heard that and I gestured him gently to take his car out.

I did not have time to speak to him or say anything else about being TBHP since he just moved his car and sped off.

As an after thought, I felt that if I could hail him in an universal language quickly and then chatted him out of the situation, it would have been one more BHPian crossed path on a person basis (other than the virtual forum)

But this brought to me one though, how do we quickly hail a fellow Team-BHPian?

Innovative , easy and crisp call suggestions are welcome and hopefully once standardized (like the stickers) will be a universal call for every BHPian towards each other (like Tifosi)

Now for my suggestion:

1. Howdy BHPian
2. Hail BHP
3. Hi BHPian

Mods please merge it with any other thread if already exists or change the forum. Hope this helps us all in the long run.
Old 30th June 2012, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions on hailing another Team-BHPian

Nice thread indeed. But every car sporting a Team-BHP sticker is not guaranteed to be a bhpian since stickers are even sold to guests.

There are 2 ways of spotting a bhpian.
1. A car parked beside you or in the parking lot which bears a Team-BHP sticker.
2. A car driving beside your car and you spot a Team-BHP sticker.

1st Situation:
Its the easiest as you don't need to honk, etc to get any attention, if the person is around. Easiest way to start a conversation is:

"Hi there. Just saw a Team-BHP sticker on your car, which got my attention. Are you a Team-Bhpian by any chance?"

That's enough to start a conversation and rest of it follows, exchanging pleasantries, contact no, etc.

2nd Situation:
Spotting a sticker on a moving car. First of all getting attention of the car and waving to him. If he did stop, follow the above protocol and you made another bhpian friend.

In Mumbai, spotting are very less and mostly its the meets where you get to interact with other bhpians.

None the less more fun is in 2nd situation followed by 1st situation. Once spotted a car driving, bearing a Team-BHP sticker by a lady. Waved to her, flashed the light, but to no avail.
Old 30th June 2012, 21:29   #3
BHPian

Hail BHP!!!! Just imagine the expression on the person's face who would suddenly see a man/woman shouting 'Hail BHP'(probably with a hand raised in typical Nazi style).

All I do is make eye contact(if possible) with the driver of the car and then look at the sticker and give a smile.

BTW we were having a discussion on Team Bhp in our office bulletin board yesterday where someone was amused and was asking what is this Team-Bhp and why are people insane enough to buy stickers and paste it on their cars. Swarms of posts followed. Guess many will be googling Team-BHP this weekend.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

I have waylaid a couple of team-bhpians on the road, and the response was quite lukewarm. I guess I need to tone down my excitement levels when I meet one, and keep low expectations.

Or there might be a problem with the way I look. I will never know.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:42   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have waylaid a couple of team-bhpians on the road, and the response was quite lukewarm. I guess I need to tone down my excitement levels when I meet one, and keep low expectations.

Or there might be a problem with the way I look. I will never know.
Absolutely ! My daughter had seen a car with LTD sticker right in front of our house and the person was trying to make a U-turn and head back. We waited for him to turn at the end of the road and come back and we were so excited to ask him what his TBHP handle was, etc and he was least interested. Finally on asking the second time he said he is not a member
Old 1st July 2012, 11:08   #6
BHPian

Tap lightly on the horn 'BHP' in Morse Code # _... # .... # ._ _. # ie Dah Dit Dit Dit # Dit Dit Dit Dit# Dit Dah Dah Dit
Sadly Morse is not understood by most.

If you hear # ... # _ _ _ # _... #run for cover (SOB)

Note: # is used here for spacing only
Old 1st July 2012, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shouting 'Hail BHP' on spotting a BHPian reminds me of "Hey Mongambo" of Mr. India movie. The spotted BHPian should shout "Mogambo Khush hua" as an acknowledgement.

There are many people who sport Team-BHP sticker but are not members of this forum so it looks odd to say something like this to every car owner having a sticker.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

stare at the other guy when possible, and turn your right hand palm outwards, and with your wrist bone, tap the right side of your head.
If the other fella is a true BHPian, he will stop and help you out of your crashed car, which is when you can ask him "what's your handle?"

Just kidding.
Honestly, its a combination of the driving conditions, and the other guy being a member at all to get an on the spot acknowledgement.

Eg: in the expressway traffic, another bhpian may be inches from my window, waving and jumping, and I might not notice him.
Even if i do, my first thought would be "roadrage here".

Typically, its either on wide open roads, or in zero movement traffic jams that I have got acknowledgements.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

This happened last year when i was driving on the Western Express Highway at Bandra around 10PM. Saw a Silver OHC with TBHP Sticker on the rear bumper. The highway portion on that particular stretch is very wide, so i overtook him to display the TBHP Sticker on my OHC Vtecs rear bumper. Then we drove side by side and he went down the road while i took the flyover, gave each other a smile before we went our ways. I think that was Dippy but not sure.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:26   #10
BHPian

Many Team BHP members do not have any stickers on their vehicles. Anyway to remain on topic, maybe it is time to release a member-only-member-specific sticker?
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

A light tap of the horn or a single blink of the lights should do. If the recipient notices, well and good. Else drive on.

Don't overdo it though because there is nothing more enraging than someone honking behind you for no apparent reason or flashing lights like crazy. I associate honking with cabbies/bus-drivers & the latter has lost whatever purpose it had because everyone seems to come at you (or from behind) with lights flashing for no valid reason. I ignore both to retain my calm.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2012 at 20:06.
Old 3rd July 2012, 21:08   #12
BHPian

Oh wow such a thread also exists. Haha. How i wish i had read this thread before my Sunday's spottings.
How about 4 flashes of light? TBHP.
I did the same thing after a bhp ian in a civic overtook me on ORR. Then he waved his hand in acknowledgement.
And then there are other fellows who dont realise why their car and mine have similar set of stickers lol.
Generally ive realised more than one sticker means definitely a bhpian. One sticker not so sure and mostly never a bhpian or an inactive petrolhead.

Hail bhp reminds me of another alternative ala Steve Carrell. Pass near the person and *cough*TeamBHP*cough*.

Cheers.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:15   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I have completely stopped hailing and or flashing lights etc at cars with TBHP stickers. Basically one doesn't know whether the person is actually a responsible fellow member or not so I prefer to keep quiet. In Coorg over the New Year I saw one car with TBHP stickers emblazoned all over. The chap did not know what it was and was not exactly a friendly or forthcoming type so leave well alone is what I would say.

I shall confine my loud hailing activities to those I know, from now on, thank you very much indeed!
Old 4th July 2012, 08:41   #14
BHPian

Any kind of gesture made has to be un-ambiguous and harmless - just so that non-bhpian will not take offence at such actions.
While stationary - how about the universal sign for 'Time-out'? Fingers of one hand touching palm of other at right angle? 'T' for Tbhp or you will just get a harmless perplexed look...

While driving, flash with fog lamps (if equipped) since mostly no-body uses fog lamps for any other purpose especially intention to overtake or annoyance.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the time-out sign might be a better option. I remember this has already been debated in another thread where people talked about signs and signals, but sadly they won't always work.

Just like a gentleman above mentioned, if I were rushing to my office and was stopped because my car has a sticker and the other fellow started asking about my handle and his handle, I am more likely to blow my lid off.

And then, just like there are non-BHPians sporting stickers, there are BHPians not sporting stickers.

Above all we must remember that whatever we do should not jeopardize the safety of ourselves, the other members and/or the other road users.

I had once spotted a stickered car at the Kharegaon toll naka and tried signalling with my headlights, but the fellow sped away. I couldn't possibly think of any alternatives to get his attention without creating a minor hazard.

Most Viewed