Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 12:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?

This is extremely interesting. Was thinking of a similar trip next year but had to shelve it because of many reasons, costs mainly. Putting my name in as tentative. I will either get my SX4 or join someone from Bangalore.

The updated list:

1. Being Cynical
2. nmo
3. auto_enthusiast
4. Gannu_1
5. vu2pmc
6. Octane_Power
7. coolclouds
8. AD
9. Parik
Old 29th December 2013, 22:00   #17

Hi BeingCynica and all friends,
I am also planning a road trip from Mumbai to Leh via Srinagar and back via HP in late August'14/Sept 14. I have given three weeks to this epic journey so as not to make it too hectic. I will be travelling in Scorpio VLX 4WD( manual). Tentatively , apart from me 3 of my friends will accompany me but if any or all of them drop out, I am prepared to travel alone. I have gone through all earlier posts and threads on Team-BHP site. Considering the wealth of information, experience and expertise you all have, I will consider myself fortunate to be part of your convoy. Being a novice your guidance would be highly appreciated.
Old 30th December 2013, 09:36   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the interest. Sorry for hopping on to this page after sometime as I was travelling off late. Returned from Tokyo and guess what, the great HVK was there at the airport to meet me. Had a discussion on this particular trip. Asked him, if he can join us and for the time being his participation looks little dicey.

Talked for a great length with him on routes, facilities, stay and fuel options; though it was well into 1 AM in the morning. The route somewhat looks to be finalized. Going to Mumbai on 6th for my VISA stamping. Will meet up HVK over dinner again and hopefully I will finalize the route and share it with all of you for your reference/suggestions.

As of now the probable team stands at

1. Being Cynical
2. nmo
3. auto_enthusiast
4. Gannu_1
5. vu2pmc
6. Octane_Power
7. coolclouds
8. AD
9. Parik
10. ankaps
11. Rushikesh Pable (From FB Group)
12. Abhay Parameswar (From FB Group)
13. Parikshit Sankriya (From FB Group)
14. Naga Rajan (From FB Group)
15. Ganesh Balan (From FB Group)
16. Asaki Akira (My Japanese Friend)

Here is a snap of me and HVK

HVK, his legendary Scorp and Yours Truly
Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?-hvk_me.jpg

Keep hooking on to this page for further discussion/details and participation.

Last edited by BeingCynical : 30th December 2013 at 09:55.
Old 30th December 2013, 10:37   #19
BHPian

A very nice thought and plan, I will love to join you all from New Delhi. But a lot depends on the work situation in August. I can say that as of now I am 80% confirmed. To the date nearer, I would suggest and work out a small halt for all BHPians at my farm house in Punjab. It is very close to the National Highway No 1.

Looking forward for a fun filled moment.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:18   #20
BHPian

>>>

I intend to meet up with BolBolero & HVK to explore a drive to Himachal or Leh in 2014.If I do not make it to the Himachal drive, then I will explore the Leh in the timeframe that you suggest. Two variables for me are : One , that I should not be travelling on work then and two, I would love to drive myself- the ground clearance might be a problem.

Will be meeting my two friends in Feb 2014 for discussions.

Regards
Old 7th January 2014, 20:45   #21
BHPian

Anyone in this trip from Chennai ?
Old 7th January 2014, 21:47   #22
BHPian

If this is happening in late August/early Sept then I am in. I have been wanting to do this trip too for long. But I might come solo unless I can join someone else.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
As of now the probable team stands at

1. Being Cynical
2. nmo
3. auto_enthusiast
4. Gannu_1
5. vu2pmc
6. Octane_Power
7. coolclouds
8. AD
9. Parik
10. ankaps
11. Rushikesh Pable (From FB Group)
12. Abhay Parameswar (From FB Group)
13. Parikshit Sankriya (From FB Group)
14. Naga Rajan (From FB Group)
15. Ganesh Balan (From FB Group)
16. Asaki Akira (My Japanese Friend)
Hey, 4 and 15 are the same guy.

The plans are ON and it is happening this year! July end would be a good bet I am guessing. Summers would have begun around this time.

My only worry/fear - altitude sickness and the fear of throwing up.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:00   #24
BHPian

Hi, Count me in. A little late to post here, but I was looking to make a trip this year. I am currently in based in Goa but will be travelling from Mumbai with a few friends and family. was hoping to be a part of the convoy since this is a first for me.
Old 17th January 2014, 10:55   #25
NMS
BHPian

A wonderful thought and it sure looks promising. Wifey and I would love to join the trip if all goes as per plan. We would be getting our Safari along.
Old 17th January 2014, 17:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys,

I am planning to drive to Leh this August (2014) on a 15 (days can be added if needed) day driving vacation from Pune. Had an extensive discussion with HVK on this.

As they say, a drive to Leh is best enjoyed when in a convoy. It signifies two things. First - It reduces the boredom, if there would be any as you would be driving with people you know. At the same time it teaches you some finer points in teamwork and collaborative achievements. Second - A convoy always acts as a second line of defense if you are stuck anywhere in those challenging and demanding terrains.

I will be taking my Safari on the drive and there are 3 seats still vacant to accompany me. What say guys? HVK, Lalu? Up for it?

Please do let me know if anyone is interested. If unfortunately I find none to accompany, I would still drive solo as Leh is too beautiful a place to give a miss, just because the fear of driving solo for 5000 Km round trip takes a better of your enthusiasm

Waiting eagerly for the participants.
Any chance this can be pre-poned to July first week? I am interested to go to Leh, and so is my family, but school calendars are the spoilsport if later than July.
Old 19th January 2014, 10:09   #27
BHPian

Hi BeingCynical,
Please count me in. I've been wanting to do this since the last 3 years but somehow never got to it. I'm very interested.

Edit: I would love to bring my Polo GT TDi into the mix of vehicles (not sure about suitability) but would not mind tagging along in another car too since this would be my first time to Leh and first time doing a run this big.

Last edited by etchemkay : 19th January 2014 at 10:11.
Old 20th January 2014, 10:47   #28
BHPian

Hi,
I forgot to mention that I will be bringing my Terrano and as it stands now, I will be joined by my brother and a friend. The 4th person is still not confirmed but he is likely to come.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:25   #29
BHPian

Sorry guys, have to opt out. My wife and I are expecting our first kid just before the trip and I don't think I will be in a position to travel. Really wanted to be a part of this but I am sure there will be other opportunities.

Wish you guys all the very best for the trip and I will continue to follow the thread closely.

Parik
Old 20th January 2014, 13:28   #30
BHPian

Can anyone please give a rough estimate of the total expenses to be incurred (fuel, accomodation, food and other sundry expenses).

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 20th January 2014 at 13:30.

Most Viewed