Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 14:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, I didn't even know about this.
I'm also taking a leh trip in my Tucson (so far). Early August, by the second week at the most.
My dates are not fixed yet, so will probably work around what you guys are doing here.
Old 21st January 2014, 17:28   #32
BHPian

Okay, I have more confirmations from my side. My Polo GT TDi is confirmed which will have myself and 2 other friends.

A separate set of my friends (who cannot spare 15 days) are planning to fly down to Delhi/Srinagar, get a rented self-drive car and join the convoy from there.

For now though, myself+2 are confirmed.
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:45   #33
BHPian

Great response from all. By conservative estimate, the number of interested party, both from TBhp and Facebook could go well beyond. I will try to consolidate all and post it here in sometime. In the mean time guys, lets discuss it out about the route that we should plan to fit in a 15-17 day window frame since most interested party seems to have these many days at their disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Can anyone please give a rough estimate of the total expenses to be incurred (fuel, accomodation, food and other sundry expenses).
Depends on many factors. But if one plans to go for a budget spending (which one should in such long trips), according to my discussions with HVK it shouldn't cost much beyond Rs 25-27K per person. Be mindful that, this doesn't include any vehicle repair bill that may arise due to the tough terrain of Leh and Ladakh.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th January 2014 at 00:31.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:57   #34
BHPian

Re: Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Anyone in this trip from Chennai ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
Okay, I have more confirmations from my side. My Polo GT TDi is confirmed which will have myself and 2 other friends.

A separate set of my friends (who cannot spare 15 days) are planning to fly down to Delhi/Srinagar, get a rented self-drive car and join the convoy from there.

For now though, myself+2 are confirmed.
I was waiting for this kind of list who cannot spare 15 days leave.
I am planning to fly from Chennai till Delhi and get a rented Self - Drive ride there.
Thanks for the mention of this list. Pls PM me their contacts.
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

@BeingCynical: Ref my earlier post. Is it at all possible to pre-pone this to July 1st week?
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
@BeingCynical: Ref my earlier post. Is it at all possible to pre-pone this to July 1st week?
July would be the time where the rain would be just about receding and might not be too comfortable on the mountains. Because starting July, BRO starts fixing washed away or deteriorated roads.

Not sure if it would be that good an idea to go there in July.

What say guys? What are your thoughts on preponing the travel dates to July?
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
July would be the time where the rain would be just about receding and might not be too comfortable on the mountains. Because starting July, BRO starts fixing washed away or deteriorated roads.

Not sure if it would be that good an idea to go there in July.

What say guys? What are your thoughts on preponing the travel dates to July?
I think I agree. Doing mid to late August would be perfect, I think. Other more experienced Leh travelers can chime in with their opinions.
Old 24th January 2014, 00:16   #38

Joining in late but not too late for the thread I hope. The plan is to start from Bangalore in my Innova with 3 confirmed members in August (dates not fixed yet). The only drawback being I am thinking of a 10 days trip which not sure how far would be feasible. Any suggestions on the same would be greatly appreciated and if possible can join in the convoy once approved..
Old 24th January 2014, 00:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other more experienced Leh travelers can chime in with their opinions.
Aug last two weeks & Sept first week are the best time to visit Leh when you travel with hatchbacks & sedans. Before that you may have deteriorated roads, more slush and water crossings. You need atleast 2 weeks to enjoy Leh with few days as buffer.

Since you all are planning to form a group of bhpians who haven't met and planning to embark on a journey, I would request you all to please go through below thread. Reason being, last year also we had a same group formation of bhpains who embarked on Leh journey and had some trouble enroute which were all later sorted mid way during journey. The cars in this journey comprised of Tata Manza Quadrajet, Suzuki SX4 CNG, Renault Duster DCi & Tata Sumo Grande Di.

25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013
Old 24th January 2014, 07:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I 2nd el_lobo here, if you are driving with hatchbacks and Sedans its better to go in late Aug to mid sept time frame, in fact entire sept is good. Plus you get good rates in hotels since it is almost the end of season there.
  • Also, one important thing is to meet up couple of times before the trip since you do not know each other offline to ascertain group synergy. We had issues with this, though teamwork was there but ego's were flying around crazy.
  • Expenditure wise we spent around 32k per person (3 people in the Manza). So more people you have in your car, lesser the cost. Also it is good to decide how is the expense to the car divided (if it is required).
  • A sump guard for the hatchbacks and sedans is a must, even if its OEM and it protects the sump thats good enough but do not go without one, my car had ample amount of hits but the metal plate saved the car.

Let me know if any more info is required, will be glad to help.

All the best!

Last edited by motomaverick : 24th January 2014 at 08:00.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:59   #41
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am going to be at Leh between Sep 26 and Oct 5. I will be travelling with my wife and may be a 2 year old son (still weighing options on taking son along).

Booked flight tickets for these two dates. No Manali-Leh road adventure for me :(

I would love to catch up with some of you who happen to be there on these dates.

See you fellas!
Old 24th January 2014, 18:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I think I agree. Doing mid to late August would be perfect, I think. Other more experienced Leh travelers can chime in with their opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Aug last two weeks & Sept first week are the best time to visit Leh when you travel with hatchbacks & sedans. Before that you may have deteriorated roads, more slush and water crossings. You need atleast 2 weeks to enjoy Leh with few days as buffer.

Since you all are planning to form a group of bhpians who haven't met and planning to embark on a journey, I would request you all to please go through below thread. Reason being, last year also we had a same group formation of bhpains who embarked on Leh journey and had some trouble enroute which were all later sorted mid way during journey. The cars in this journey comprised of Tata Manza Quadrajet, Suzuki SX4 CNG, Renault Duster DCi & Tata Sumo Grande Di.

25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013
I too would prefer the 15th Aug - 7 Sep' 14 dates.
As mentioned, I am in the list of people who cannot afford more than 2 weeks holiday. (5+5=10 working days only).
Have no option but to fly till Delhi and drive from there.
Old 26th January 2014, 01:14   #43

I tried placing in my response for this post earlier but guess being new to the forum made me do it some place wrong and honestly not sure where that post is. Cutting short to the point, I have the plan to drive from Bangalore to Leh in August this year too and will be driving my Innova along with four others. the only challenge lying ahead of me is the duration. I can at the max spare 12 days for this trip and wonder if this would be possible. Also, which is the best route to take from Bangalore? Through Mumbai or Hyderabad and so on?
Old 29th January 2014, 12:44   #44

Before I hit upon this thread, I was exploring two options for Leh-Ladakh option 1) starting on 15th August ,if I go without family.( 15,16 and 17th being holidays) and option 2) from 25th May to14th June, if my family joins me, school vacations only.
Following is the tentative itinerary for August trip which I thought about earlier.
15th August –Day 1 : Mumbai - Surat - Vadodara (bypass A’Bad)- Udaipur –Chittorgahr - Ajmer 1077 km and 14.30 hours.
16th August-Day 2 : Ajmer – Kishangahr – Jaipur (BP) – Behror – Manesar – Gurgaon – Ludhina – Jalandhar - Pathankot . 805 km and 12.30 hours . (If fhere is other better route then will select that routes)
17th August- Day 3: Pathankot - JKBoder Lakhimpur gate - Jammu (BP) – Udhampur – Jawahar Tunnel – Quazigund – Srinagar (370 km 8 hours).
18thAugust -Day 4 : Srinagar Vehicle Check up and service. General preparation of the journey ahead. Sight seeing
19thAugust -Day 5 : Evening from Srinagar to Soanmarg (80km 2hrs) Sightseeing
20thAugust -Day 6 : Sonmarg – Zoji la Pass – Drass – Kargil. ( 125km 5 hrs).
21stAugust -Day 7 : Kargil - Panikhar - Rangdum - Pensi La - Padum (240 Km 8 hrs)
22nd August -Day8 : Reverse to Kargil ( it is to be checked whether the road from Padum to Leh opened and if so can go to leh directly, saving a day.)
23rdAugust -Day 9 : Route Kargil - Mulbek - Namik La - Fotu La -Lamayaru - Khaltse - Nimmu - Magnetic Hill – Leh (215 km 5 hours).

24rdAugust -Day 10 : Vehicle services/Rest/ Sightseeing . Sunday

25thAugust -Day 11 : Permit/Sight seeing.

26thAugust -Day12 : Leh-Kardung La- Diskit-Hunder-Panamik- Deskit, 269 kms ( 6 hrs)

27thAugust -Day 13 : Deskit- Khalsar –Wari La- Sakti - Chang la- Durbuk- Tangste - Spangmik- Pangong Tso - , (273 kms 8 hrs)
28thAugust -Day 14 : Buffer day
29thAugust -Day 15 : Spangmik – Tangstr – Durbuk- Chang La- Sakti – Karu – Upashi – Kumdok- Kere -Mahe-Nyoma – Loma- Hanle, 273 kms

30th August- Day 16 Hanle- Mahe-Sumdo -Karzok/Tso Moriri,

31stAugust -Day 17 : Tso Moriri/ Karzok-Pang-Sarchu-Keylong, 359km

1st September - Day 18 : Keylong – Manali/Kullu ( 120/160 km)

2nd September -Day 19 : Manali/Kulu – Delhi/Behror (540km 10 hrs)

3rd September -Day 20 : Delhi/Behror – Udaipur (700 km 10 hrs)

4th September -Day 21 : Udaipur – Mumbai (780km 12hrs)

This I have complied this with inputs from various posts and threads, however, I am not confident about distances and travel time, (google maps and distances mentioned in various posts differ from each other). It seems that first 3 days and day 17th are too hectic. I am sure you all are experts and will come up with better plan. Also these are just tentative dates for me, only surety is that I and my Scorpio VLX 4WD( MSV4) will be going to Leh in 2014,( My three friends may also join me in my MSVR though they are not sure). Looking forward to be part of team-bhp to Leh.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th January 2014 at 12:59. Reason: Please use the forum editor to type directly. Copy-pasting from Word etc. causes garbled posts. All HTML tags edited out.
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:49   #45
BHPian

I'm seeing more and more interest from my friends about this trip to Leh. Looking forward towards a more concrete itinerary and final dates to be collectively decided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks