Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 10:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankaps View Post
15th August –Day 1 : Mumbai - Surat - Vadodara (bypass A’Bad)- Udaipur –Chittorgahr - Ajmer 1077 km and 14.30 hours. - Doable, but depends entirely on how the Narmada is during this time mainly at Ankleshwar. Last year it was overflowing so they had closed the Narmada Golden Bridge.

16th August-Day 2 : Ajmer – Kishangahr – Jaipur (BP) – Behror – Manesar – Gurgaon – Ludhina – Jalandhar - Pathankot . 805 km and 12.30 hours . (If fhere is other better route then will select that routes) Why go to Gurgaon and the mess after Manesar, take the Rewari - Rohtak route

17th August- Day 3: Pathankot - JKBoder Lakhimpur gate - Jammu (BP) – Udhampur – Jawahar Tunnel – Quazigund – Srinagar (370 km 8 hours). Unless you start in the dark i.e. very early this is difficult as you will face truck traffic around Patnitop plus the road work is going on.

28thAugust -Day 14 : Buffer day Why stay in Pangong Tso for 1 more day? It is at a height and gets cold and dry. If you get Chusul permits better go to Hanle through that way
My thoughts are in bold in-line, but I will let any other expert travelers to Ladakh comment in a more concrete manner.

Last edited by motomaverick : 12th February 2014 at 10:30.
Old 16th February 2014, 21:18   #47
BHPian

Count me in as tentative. We were also planning to do this trip this year around Aug/Sept.
Going in a group would definitely be better.
Will be driving from Kolkata in a duster. Me+3/4 most probably.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:52   #48
BHPian

The numbers are piling up. I had at least 20 from FB page as well. There could be few overlaps. I am in the process of consolidating the entire list and would post soon.

Guys, it is about time we start finalizing the route and dates. That would help fixing a time frame and other sundry requirements like taking leaves and all could be planned.

So pour in with your suggestions and sooner we are done with it is better for the entire trip.

And BTW, we have to also plan the seat arrangements for all those who won't be bringing their own vehicles. So those who feel they can accommodate others in their cars please shout out. I will consolidate that list as well and share for the interested passengers to jump with their booking requests

In the mean time - I can accommodate 3 people in my Safari (Leaving from Pune)

Please share yours' availabilities.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:48   #49
BHPian

I have joined the FB group as well but am looking for an empty seat in anyone's ride.Any Chennaites on this trip with an empty seat ?
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:12   #50

Hello Champs, I would also like to be a part of this adventure. My couple of dependencies will be...
1. I will be joining a new organisation in May so the long leave may become an issue though, will try to discuss this out and post accordingly
2. Another one is personal which looks manageable.

So if I join in I may look to join BeingCynical from Pune since I am from Mumbai and will come over to Pune on the day of travel

Cheers!
Old 4th March 2014, 08:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am very much interested! I have been dreaming of doing a Leh trip for long time, and doing it in a convoy of team-bhpians will be an awesome experience! So great idea, and a great thread!

However, given that August is still far away and several details will have to be worked out, it is hard to say "count me in" with 100% confidence. So, I will say count me in with 80% confidence level :-)

I will closely follow this thread, and hopefully everything will work out well, and I will be with you guys in Leh.

By the way, I will come from Bangalore, and can join the convoy in Pune, if that is the starting point. However, if we have a few more participants from Bangalore, we can have our own "mini convoy" from Bangalore to Pune and then join others there.

And I will come in my SX4. Hopefully SX4 can handle the terrain. Let's see.

Thanks,
-AD
I bought a Captiva LTZ AWD in 2011, for a LEH trip. never managed to find company for the trip and was planning to sell it next month.
Captiva or not, I am in from bangalore
Old 4th March 2014, 10:16   #52
BHPian

Anytime in August/September is fine with me. A suggestion. If we can plan the trip with enough stops, more to take in the views and soak in the atmosphere, it would be great, rather than doing a rally kind of drive thru.
Old 14th March 2014, 15:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
The numbers are piling up. I had at least 20 from FB page as well. There could be few overlaps. I am in the process of consolidating the entire list and would post soon.

Guys, it is about time we start finalizing the route and dates. That would help fixing a time frame and other sundry requirements like taking leaves and all could be planned.

So pour in with your suggestions and sooner we are done with it is better for the entire trip.

And BTW, we have to also plan the seat arrangements for all those who won't be bringing their own vehicles. So those who feel they can accommodate others in their cars please shout out. I will consolidate that list as well and share for the interested passengers to jump with their booking requests

In the mean time - I can accommodate 3 people in my Safari (Leaving from Pune)

Please share yours' availabilities.
Dude, did you get a chance to compile the list yet?
Old 14th March 2014, 17:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
Dude, did you get a chance to compile the list yet?
Sorry friend. Literally bugged up neck down in work of late Will do it sooner than later and publish for everyone.
Old 19th March 2014, 13:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
I bought a Captiva LTZ AWD in 2011, for a LEH trip. never managed to find company for the trip and was planning to sell it next month.
Captiva or not, I am in from bangalore
Myself and 2 other friends have planned ladakh trip during late July in an ecosport. Trip is 90% confirmed. I am in for a mini Bangalore convoy.
Old 19th March 2014, 21:22   #56
BHPian

Medical precautions for those going to Leh:

In 2006 we went to Char Dham & Gomukh (17,000 feet elevation).

The #1 thing to do to prevent altitude sickness is to drink crazy amounts of water. At high altitudes, the air is very dry, and every time you exhale you lose moisture. You will be astonished at how little you pee. Lack of hydration is a major cause of altitude sickness. This point cannot be stressed enough!

Other points we were advised by medical professionals:

- For high altitude sickness prevention: Diamox (generic name: acetazolamide) 250 mg one tablet daily starting 2 to 3 days before getting to the high altitude area and continuing 1 tablet daily until one day after return to sea level.

- For malaria prophylaxis: Lariam (generic name mefloquine) 250 mg tablets; one tablet once a week starting 1 week before travel to malaria endemic area and continuing once a week until 2 weeks after return from travel
Alternative to Lariam is Malarone 250/100 mg tablets; one tablet orally once daily starting 2 days before travel and continuing 1 tablet daily until 2 weeks after return.

- For typhoid prophylaxis: Oral typhoid vaccine (the dose prescribed for us was 1 capsule once a day 1 hr before a meal, taken on alternate days for a total of 4 doses (1 cap daily on days 1, 3, 5 and 7)

- Tetanus toxoid booster dose (if not done in the last 10 years)

- Hepatitis A booster vaccine (if not done in the last 5 years)

- Booster dose of polio vaccine

You should check with your physician if you need all or only some of the infection preventing medicines.

Would also advise carrying over the counter medications for cough / cold / flu / fever / body ache, but again check with physician regarding dosage since absorption and action could vary with altitude.

Best wishes for the trip. Look forward to the travelogue!
Old 7th April 2014, 22:41   #57
BHPian

Me & better half along with 4 other friends have planned Ladakh trip during late August/September in Ecosport & Scorpio. Trip is 100% confirmed. Count me in for a Bangalore convoy
Old 9th April 2014, 14:32   #58
BHPian

I am already planned to visit Leh in August. Found this thread while googling. Count me in. I would go to Vashnodevi first, So for few days I may not be with the group. I will drive my Skoda Laura with wife and 7 year old son.
Old 12th April 2014, 13:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am very much interested! I have been dreaming of doing a Leh trip for long time, and doing it in a convoy of team-bhpians will be an awesome experience! So great idea, and a great thread!

By the way, I will come from Bangalore, and can join the convoy in Pune, if that is the starting point. However, if we have a few more participants from Bangalore, we can have our own "mini convoy" from Bangalore to Pune and then join others there.
THIS IS THE REASON I am here on Team-BHP. We are planning Leh trip during August-September 2014. I have got three more friends [well.... one is my brother] and we will use 4X4 TFort.
As time is on our side, we can plan it well with buffers in between and convoy of cars makes it all the more interesting.
I should be counted 100% - come rain or shine
Old 12th April 2014, 13:24   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
This is extremely interesting. Was thinking of a similar trip next year but had to shelve it because of many reasons, costs mainly. Putting my name in as tentative. I will either get my SX4 or join someone from Bangalore.

The updated list:

1. Being Cynical
2. nmo
3. auto_enthusiast
4. Gannu_1
5. vu2pmc
6. Octane_Power
7. coolclouds
8. AD
9. Parik
Please count me in too. From bangalore. Will bring my Fortuner [with 3 friends] August-September is the time line we are looking for.

May I suggest we meet up much ahead, to know each other much better and plan the trip? [You know, we are goign to live together for a couple of weeks]

AND, didn't they say 'mini caravan'? Well, I think its no more 'mini' and I am wondering if we are going to create traffic jam up there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks