Re: Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report

(continued....)

Looking left..
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0705.jpg

The entrance pathway to the resort
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0699.jpg

BHPians' cars parked at Asokam beach resort
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0703.jpg

There was a table laid out at the garden with snacks and tea being served for the tired travellers from Bangalore
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0700.jpg

The late evening skies brought out some brilliant hues at the beach.
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0713_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

But I decided to hit the room and freshen up before joining other BHPians at the beach. Our room was very large and spacious, even had a window directly viewing the beach.
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0715.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0717.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0716.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0718.jpg

Sunset was approaching as the clock neared 6 PM. crazyDriver and I were trying some shots of the landscape with my tripod and some filters.
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0722.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0727.jpg

Tripod shots
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0740.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0743.jpg

Meanwhile the group was busy posing for photos
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0748.jpg

And the others were clicking photos. That's arun_pterry
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0769.jpg

More chatting sessions at the beach and rocks
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0771.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0772.jpg

RS sir thinking of the next drive location
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0774.jpg

KiloAlpha zapped by surprise
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0775.jpg

Arun reviewing his camera's photo gallery
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0776.jpg

More tripod long exposure experiments with the depleted twilight after sunset
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0757.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0765.jpg

After nightfall, the next logical stop was the mega dinner meetup at Kanaka beach house. RS sir had planned an elaborate malabar cuisine buffet with some amazing delicacies. I decided to hit the venue to see how the preparations were going on, while the others were still chatting up until the mosquito attack time began

The view from outside
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0777.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0792.jpg

Entering Kanaka beach house
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0793.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0783.jpg

RS sir had everything planned to perfection for the big group. Look at this!
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0779.jpg

And this
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0785.jpg

An elaborate buffet spread, with some more extras being spread
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0788.jpg

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_0796.jpg

To be continued...
Old 26th February 2014, 09:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

RS: the rear tyre seems to be losing pressure.
Attachment 1212303

Sandsun7: never mind sir. Just backup here and refill air for the time being. I'll take you to a bigger tyre repair centre if the problem persists
Attachment 1212304
Runflats .
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-runflat-001.jpg

Pressure drop indicator lighted up, on the eve of the trip.
A cursory check at Navnit Motors missed the nail.
Being fixed, 700+ kms later,
at the one and only "Madhus"
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-wp_20140217_001.jpg

Last edited by RSUDARSANAN : 26th February 2014 at 10:21.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:16   #63
shimshumara

Some more collages !

This time I have Anand Babu (sincere apologies....)
The picture on the right is dedicated to all the ladies and kids who made the entire drive much more fun & frolic !
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-introcollage3.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-lk_collage.jpg  

Last edited by shimshumara : 26th February 2014 at 10:18. Reason: add

Old 26th February 2014, 10:31   #64
shimshumara

Some beautiful paintings from Ambatty Gardens (Our Lunch Resort), depicting the Kodava Tradition & Culture. The actual local name for this district is Madikeri or Kodagu, which in English is referred to as Mercara / Coorg. The locals are called Kodavas (Coorgis). They have their own language and a script (probably lost now)
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131351.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131410.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131448.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131621.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131637.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131659.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-20140215_131715.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_5967.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_5968.jpg  

Feb 2014, Turf meets Surf! 10th Anniversary Drive Report-dsc_5970.jpg  

Old 26th February 2014, 10:42   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
The actual local name for this district is Madikeri or Kodagu, which in English is referred to as Mercara / Coorg. The locals are called Kodavas (Coorgis). They have their own language and a script (probably lost now)
Small correction, the region (district) is called Kodagu or Coorg. Madikeri is the town. I understand the language since I lived in Gonikoppal between 1979-82.

This photo brought back some memories. I was trained in this folk dance in highschool in Coorg. I don't even remember the name anymore.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th February 2014 at 10:53.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, these are amazing snaps KarthikK, Raajks, RS sir and Shimshumara. I feel so elevated to see you guys covering the entire event with so many photos and above all great narration. I can't decide if the photos are creating that drive nostalgia at this moment for me or the narration! Glad, this drive was a real meet as well as our own dedicated teams to closer ones that tagged along with us

The icing on the cake - our beach rides and return drive fun is yet to unfold on the thread. The neat and disciplined line driving down the C.Nagara - Kanakapura - Bangalore route at 80-90Kmph speed is yet to come. And so eagerly looking forward to it!

Last edited by abirnale : 26th February 2014 at 11:35.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:29   #67
BHPian

Dear friends...Hello to all..from Sandsun7 to Abirnale...and all other fellow bhpians who visited Kannur on the 10th anniversary drive.

I had no idea regarding this visit of fellow bhpians to my home town. There was no inkling of the trip anywhere on the forum...or if it was there, I some how managed to miss it, despite browsing tbhp for 2-3 hours daily. Sad ,that I missed such an opportunity to make friends with so many bhpians in one go. From the snaps I gather that all of you had a great drive and a memorable stay.

I am a little saddened that you might have missed on a great opportunity to see one of the best tourist places in Kannur - The St Angelo's fort and the harbor nearby. No pics to be seen and hence my comment. Correct me if I am wrong . It is the best of photo locations in Kannur and with so many avid photographers in the group, I sincerely hope that the group had gone there too.

Anyways, I do hope in future bhp group tours to this side,may please be informed in advance, so that local tbhp members can be involved for more interaction between members.
I hope my suggestion will be taken in the right spirit.
Regards
Old 26th February 2014, 14:01   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpai View Post
Dear friends...Hello to all..from Sandsun7 to Abirnale...and all other fellow bhpians who visited Kannur on the 10th anniversary drive.
Thanks jnpai, Sandsun7 took good care of us but it would have been wonderful to see you too.

Quote:
I had no idea regarding this visit of fellow bhpians to my home town. There was no inkling of the trip anywhere on the forum...or if it was there, I some how managed to miss it, despite browsing tbhp for 2-3 hours daily. Sad ,that I missed such an opportunity to make friends with so many bhpians in one go. From the snaps I gather that all of you had a great drive and a memorable stay.
Suggest you to subscribe to tbhp meets section subforum for all meets happening around the globe of TBhpians. I am sure, you wont miss a thing again!

Quote:
I am a little saddened that you might have missed on a great opportunity to see one of the best tourist places in Kannur - The St Angelo's fort and the harbor nearby. No pics to be seen and hence my comment. Correct me if I am wrong . It is the best of photo locations in Kannur and with so many avid photographers in the group, I sincerely hope that the group had gone there too.

Anyways, I do hope in future bhp group tours to this side,may please be informed in advance, so that local tbhp members can be involved for more interaction between members.
Regards
Yes, of course we had fun but had kept drive-in beach as our primary destination. We did not anywhere but resots, nearby beach and drive-in beach. We were hard pressed on time and hence did only limited run with 25+ cars in one go. There is still a lot to be told from the recent trip - wait and watch for KarthikK's blasts and RS's popcorn doses!

And by the way, the fort, can be covered in next meet and you sure would be able to make it too

Last edited by abirnale : 26th February 2014 at 14:03.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had no idea regarding this visit of fellow bhpians to my home town. There was no inkling of the trip anywhere on the forum...or if it was there, I some how managed to miss it, despite browsing tbhp for 2-3 hours daily. Sad ,that I missed such an opportunity to make friends with so many bhpians in one go. stay.
The thread on planning of the drive was on since November end If I remember right.
Here is the link to the thread (now closed) : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ight-meet.html
Very likely that you missed it because this comes under the Bangalore overnight meets section and you would not check it under normal circumstances. Next time if there is something like that, will let you know for sure.

Quote:
Yes, St Angelo Fort would have been a good spot, but after a tiring drive of around 10 hours, I doubt if anyone in the group would have had enough juice left in them to set out again with their cars. Also, the Fort closes by 6 PM, and by the time all of them checked in the resorts and had tea, it was past 5.30 PM.

Quote:
Regards
Sure, will let you know. There are few members like RajeshK, mightylothar, Latheesh, ignited_driver, Nalin whom I know are from Kannur, but do not know any other member who lives in Kannur. All the above mentioned members are basically settled/working in Bangalore like me. I Don't even remember seeing any handle with Kannur as location. You are the first one I am seeing!
Perhaps we should have a meet next time when we are in Kannur. What say? BTW, where exactly do you stay? My home is in Alavil.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:36   #70
BHPian

Sure, will let you know. There are few members like RajeshK, mightylothar, Latheesh, ignited_driver, Nalin whom I know are from Kannur, but do not know any other member who lives in Kannur. All the above mentioned members are basically settled/working in Bangalore like me. I Don't even remember seeing any handle with Kannur as location. You are the first one I am seeing!
Perhaps we should have a meet next time when we are in Kannur. What say? BTW, where exactly do you stay? My home is in Alavil.[/quote]

Sandsun7...thanks for the detailed explanation.

Lets try to meet up on your next visit. Staying near SBI main branch.
Old 26th February 2014, 22:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
The locals are called Kodavas (Coorgis).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Small correction...
To the best of my knowledge and belief, Kodavas prefer to be addressed as Coorgs, not Coorgis and fellow bhpian pganapathy, a Kodava, confirms this.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:23   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
To the best of my knowledge and belief, Kodavas prefer to be addressed as Coorgs, not Coorgis and fellow bhpian pganapathy, a Kodava, confirms this.
Is this something new? I have never heard this usage.
Old 27th February 2014, 13:38   #73
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this something new? I have never heard this usage.
The native ethnic group who speak Kodava takk are called Kodavas. The Kodavas are known for the distinct way of life. Coorg is what the British called Kodagu.

Kodavas do not liked to be called Coorgis and are tolerant to being called Coorgs. This is because lot of outsiders know the place as Coorg rather than Kodagu. As far a possible it is preferable to be called a Kodava, rather than any thing else.

The Kodavas are doing the Kol-aat (with sticks) in the pictures. Bolak-aat (with the odi-kathi), Komb-aat (with deer horns) are more examples of dances from Kodagu.

Also there are pictures of "Nari Mangala". When a tiger is killed the Hunter is dressed as groom in all finery and respects are paid to him in the form of gifts followed by a feast.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 27th February 2014 at 13:45.
Old 27th February 2014, 14:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The Kodavas are doing the Kol-aat (with sticks) in the pictures. Bolak-aat (with the odi-kathi), Komb-aat (with deer horns) are more examples of dances from Kodagu.

Also there are pictures of "Nari Mangala". When a tiger is killed the Hunter is dressed as groom in all finery and respects are paid to him in the form of gifts followed by a feast.

Cheers

KPS

I notice the dances are called 'aat'. Very similar to Malayalam 'aattom'- Mohiniyattom, Koodiyattom ...etc. Is it due to the proximity of Coorg to Kerala? Also I heard a very different dialect at a place called Puthur - some malayalam and kannada words were together used.
Old 27th February 2014, 16:44   #75
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

I notice the dances are called 'aat'. Very similar to Malayalam 'aattom'- Mohiniyattom, Koodiyattom ...etc. Is it due to the proximity of Coorg to Kerala? Also I heard a very different dialect at a place called Puthur - some malayalam and kannada words were together used.
There is a lot of connect between Kodagu and Kerala. The Kodava dialect is like Kannada/Malayalam spoken in a Tamil Accent

In fact, for the local festivals where there is a Oracle involved, most come from Kerala or Mangalore. The interior temples too reflect Kerala architecture. Most Kodavas who live in Kodagu, speak Malayalam/Tamil, as labour traditionally came from Kerala and Tamilnadu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks