Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 11:16   #1606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Anything would be fine. Looking at the weather, I think it will be a wet weekend/drive. So guess we will have to finalize plan B venue too.

@Anoop - Since you are not able to come for drive if it's Alleppey, I suggest you to drive to Cochin, meet us and drive back to Alleppey .
Anyhow, Dhanush let's decide on our alternate location too.

Hahaha.Guess I'l have to do that.
Old 25th May 2013, 14:13   #1607
Senior - BHPian

re: Quick mini-meet(s) in Kochi (Cochin)

I would love the place to be Vagamon, and nothing else.

I have never been there and it doesn't matter even if I am not able to get out of the car due to rains. It's a road trip after all.

That said, I leave it for the majority to decide. Don't want to be inflexible.

PS: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nthumpara.html
Old 25th May 2013, 15:02   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I have never been there and it doesn't matter even if I am not able to get out of the car due to rains. It's a road trip after all.
Dear deet (and to all who are for Vagamon in rain),

As much as we love to drive come rain or shine, one must not forget the hardships we are likely to face at high altitude when it rains. Am not talking about mud splattering or having to confine ourselves in our cars or a restaurant or the leaches for that matter. Oh no what I am really concerned about would be the severely reduced visibility that comes along with fog.

Fog is beautiful but not when you are driving. You enjoy it from the balcony of the hotel you stay, you enjoy it over a walk with your love life, you enjoy it with your kids who go crazy over it but never ever when you drive.

Even I think that vagamon is the best destination out there but in the interest of safety lets postpone vagamon to our next meet? What say?

Your's lovingly,
Grandpa ( I do sound like one, dont I?)
Old 25th May 2013, 15:41   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Even I think that vagamon is the best destination out there but in the interest of safety lets postpone vagamon to our next meet? What say?
Appreciate the concern. I really don't know how bad the fog can get at Vagamon. How about Kattappana via Idukki and back? I just cannot think of any other direction.
Old 25th May 2013, 15:53   #1610
BHPian

Quote:

That said, I leave it for the majority to decide. Don't want to be inflexible.

PS: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nthumpara.html
Me too

Quote:
Dear deet (and to all who are for Vagamon in rain),

As much as we love to drive come rain or shine, one must not forget the hardships we are likely to face at high altitude when it rains. Am not talking about mud splattering or having to confine ourselves in our cars or a restaurant or the leaches for that matter. Oh no what I am really concerned about would be the severely reduced visibility that comes along with fog.

Fog is beautiful but not when you are driving. You enjoy it from the balcony of the hotel you stay, you enjoy it over a walk with your love life, you enjoy it with your kids who go crazy over it but never ever when you drive.

Your's lovingly,
Grandpa ( I do sound like one, dont I?)
Dear Rev,

I don't think it has started to rain hard. It's just drizzles lasting for some hours. I don't know the condition at Vagamon though. If we have someone here who could update us on the ongoing rains there then we could come to a conclusion on Vagamon. But as of now for all of us, PLAN A is VAGAMON. PLAN B is yet to be finalised.

Am I right, people ?
Old 25th May 2013, 16:00   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Plan A - Vagamon
Let's wait for couple of days and see how the weather is. Just had one whole of day of rain so let's wait to see if this will continue. Let's make sure that we finalize it before the D day. Dont want half of the guys to be waiting for others in Alleppey and wondering when others will show up.
Old 25th May 2013, 16:57   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Two full days of rain here in Kottayam. As updated by my inlaws, it was raining in Thodupuzha - Muttom area as well.

Lets keep Plan B ready so that decision can be made on (D-1) Day based on Accuweather.
Old 25th May 2013, 17:04   #1613
BHPian

Plan B

1. Chettuva Back waters
2. kumarakom
3. Some place near Idukki or near-by
4. Finally Allepey Beach

If there are some more places, please put forward. Fortunately, kerala is filled with places waiting to be visited. So lets explore all the possible options.
Old 25th May 2013, 17:31   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Dear Rev,
I don't think it has started to rain hard. But as of now for all of us, PLAN A is VAGAMON. PLAN B is yet to be finalised.
Am I right, people ?
Well its raining pretty hard in kottayam today and yesterday too with hardly any sunshine. But whether it is raining now or not should not matter. What matters is whether it would be raining on 2nd and whether we have a back up plan ready

Quote:
Plan A - Vagamon
Let's wait for couple of days and see how the weather is. Just had one whole of day of rain so let's wait to see if this will continue. Let's make sure that we finalize it before the D day.
Quote:
Appreciate the concern. I really don't know how bad the fog can get at Vagamon.
I was caught in bad fog once at parunthumpara. And it was pretty tricky. You couldnt see a person standing 5 ft away. But guess what. Never had as much fun as on that day. The picnic and get-together was just awesome and out of this world but not the drive.

Vagamon IS the best option. I just want us to be fully prepared to change the destination (as against cancelling the whole meet) at the last moment if necessary due to the weather.

Last edited by revintup : 25th May 2013 at 17:33.
Old 25th May 2013, 21:02   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Well its raining pretty hard in kottayam today and yesterday too with hardly any sunshine. But whether it is raining now or not should not matter. What matters is whether it would be raining on 2nd and whether we have a back up plan ready

I really appreciate your concern. Its true that we don't want to take any big risk during the trip. As said our D-1 day would decide whether to go for Vagamon or not.

In the meanwhile, I would really appreciate any inputs on Plan B from everyone's part. Some options that I consider are below,

1) Kumarakom
2) Parunthupara
3) Chettuva Backwaters
4) Allepey Beach

Except Allepey beach, I have no serious info about the first 3 options I have typed down. Anymore options, inputs are welcome.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2013, 21:27   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Myself and Recallers will most probably join the trip. Still I would like it to be in tentative list as I am not sure about any last minute change.

Incidently, the image shown in Avatar is shot at Vagamon some 6 years back with Recaller's Honda City. We too prefer a trip to Vagamon

Last edited by coolclouds : 25th May 2013 at 21:35.
Old 25th May 2013, 21:49   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Myself and Recallers will most probably join the trip. Still I would like it to be in tentative list as I am not sure about any last minute change.

Incidently, the image shown in Avatar is shot at Vagamon some 6 years back with Recaller's Honda City. We too prefer a trip to Vagamon

your signature takes me back to my school days. I loved this poem by Robert Frost. "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening", I went back and read it once again. Thanks buddy.

Cheers.
Old 25th May 2013, 23:43   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anything would be fine. Looking at the weather, I think it will be a wet weekend/drive. So guess we will have to finalize plan B venue too.

Dhanush let's decide on our alternate location too.
If its raining, there is no point in driving to any place on the hills. So, Idukki, Kattappana, parunthumpara etc are all to be set to the back burner.

Rains on a normal boat would be much of hassle than fun. However, a house boat would give enough comfort for enjoying the rain on the backwaters. If there's anyone who can tie up for a good deal with any tourist agent for a one day back water trip?
In which case, we need not drive to Alleppey. We can rather drive to the more picturesque Kumarakom or the like.

Seeing the rain which poured on today, I don't feel that it would be safe to start plans for Vagamon. I of the opinion that we should scrap Vagamon and go full throttle to the idea of an alternate plan.
Old 26th May 2013, 00:34   #1619
BHPian

Was closely following the thread although with the job that I have I was not sure I could make it. Now looks like I would be able to join.

Know its very late but can I join in ?

I am on for the ride on Jun 2 and ready for a drive anywhere. My wife and kid will be joining as of now. So just tell me where are we riding out to ?
Old 26th May 2013, 15:59   #1620
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I love being on a houseboat, however, I hope there is enough parking space for 12+ cars at shore, while we are sailing. Won't a good resort in Kumarakom (eg: Abad Whispering Palms Lake Resort) serve the purpose with food, space for being together, parking space, scenic beauty and safety (!). Being a weekend and last days of summer vacations, availability of house-boat also needs to be confirmed well in advance.

Why not have a weighted poll for Plan-B (people can post in upto 4 options among Kumarakom, Alapuzha, Chettuva Backwaters etc -- first option will be weighted 3 votes, second option 2 votes and third 1 vote; option with most votes = Plan-B). Hoping everyone has Naveen's cellph.number, all may send an sms with their options to his number, say, within Wednesday (22-May).

What say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks