Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 09:50   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Quick mini-meet(s) in Kochi (Cochin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Guys. Rather than driving through the normal rush of the highway, why don't we take the road parallel to the coast line? It starts from Saudi (yes, I think that's the name of the junction, after thoppumpadi ) and goes along the coast all the way till andhakaranazhi. The last I travelled, the roads were in good shape. That was more than six months back though.
We can do a circuitous route. Go through the coastal route and return via the highway. Or vice versa.

Anyone who has travelled recently can share your thoughts please
That's a good idea. How about we take this while coming back?
Old 1st June 2013, 13:15   #1697
Distinguished - BHPian

For guys not starting from Cochin, we can wait for you near Travancore Palace hotel, Cherthala. We shall park our rides somewhere close to the that hotel(along the highway) for you guys to join us. Say at around 11.30am.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:58   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Guys. Rather than driving through the normal rush of the highway, why don't we take the road parallel to the coast line?
I doubt whether it's worth the try, because the roads are too narrow in some places and others isn't much to see either(even though it runs along the coast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Do let us know. Are you sure it's working? Camera flashes? If so, that's bad. I guess there are around 4-5 cameras between Aroor-Cherthala right? When I took this route last month, the cam didnt flash.
Yes they are working. My friend got six tickets all of them in the same road. The funny thing is he got the tickets after two months! Same happened to some one else too.
Old 1st June 2013, 14:11   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
For guys not starting from Cochin, we can wait for you near Travancore Palace hotel, Cherthala. We shall park our rides somewhere close to the that hotel(along the highway) for you guys to join us. Say at around 11.30am.
Us Kottayam starters will be joining the highway about 1/2 km further from the Travancore palace hotel. How about meeting near St Michels college which is around 1 km further from Travancore palace on the highway itself.

This place is just 30 kms from Aroor which should be a 30 min drive. So that means we can meet at 11am near St Michels college.
Old 1st June 2013, 14:22   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Us Kottayam starters will be joining the highway about 1/2 km further from the Travancore palace hotel. How about meeting near St Michels college which is around 1 km further from Travancore palace on the highway itself.

This place is just 30 kms from Aroor which should be a 30 min drive. So that means we can meet at 11am near St Michels college.
EDIT - Slight change in route. We shall be taking the coastal highway from F.Kochi all the way to Marari. So i guess you will have to meet us somewhere near the resort. I shall be uploading the route map now.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 1st June 2013 at 14:28.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:16   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, A slight change in route for Kochi BHPians. We shall be taking Thoppumpady via Arthunkal beach to Abad Turtle Beach Resort. BHPians coming from Kottayam can join us at Arthunkal Beach from where we shall drive to the resort.

Here's the map for Kochi BHPians.

Meeting spot

The new walkway right before the Thoppumpady BOT Bridge:
Quick mini-meet(s) in Kochi (Cochin)-meeting.jpg

Route to Arthunkal Beach
Quick mini-meet(s) in Kochi (Cochin)-route.jpg

Cochin BHPians can join me to the meeting spot if they are not familiar. I will driving from Vytilla->Kundanoor->Meeting spot. Text me and I will wait for anyone along this route.

For guys coming from Cherthala, there are many inner roads to Arthunkal Beach but not familiar which is the best. Google map shows a road before x ray junction to the beach. Once we meet there, we can drive off to the resort.

Do confirm it.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:37   #1702
BHPian

Quote:

Here's the map for Kochi BHPians.
What time are we meeting at Arthungal ??
Old 1st June 2013, 15:39   #1703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
What time are we meeting at Arthungal ??
Say around 11.30-11.45? Will keep you posted as we progress tomo.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:48   #1704
BHPian

A word of caution guys. The Sea would be pretty rough during this weather and the resort staff will probably advice against getting into the water. And the walkways of the resort were too water clogged last weekend when I was there. And so was the organic farm. But if it isn't raining then it'd be great for you guys.
Enjoy!
Old 1st June 2013, 15:51   #1705
Distinguished - BHPian

The route has been altered as informed by naveen.raju. The decision was taken outside the forum through phone calls, text messages and alternate means of communication.

Members from Kottayam, please join us at Arthungal beach from where we will go ahead as a full strength convoy. The return journey will be through Cherthala - NH 47.

figo_mba will be the captain of the drive.
ETD from BOT bridge is 1030 hrs.

All members who have not updated their latest availability are requested to do so in the below list:

Meet : DRIVE
Date : 2nd June
Destination : Abad Turtle Beach resort, Marari
Meet up place : Walkway near BOT bridge on Kundannoor- Wellington Highway.
Meet up time- 1000 hrs, Departure 10.30

Confirmed :
1. vaisakhr
2. dhanushmenon + wife + 2 kids
3. Sree83 + 1
4. naveen.raju+wife
5.mistakenguy
6. Jacs + wife + 2 kids
7. Amalji
8. BigBrad
9. rajoy123 + Wife
10. Speed.Demon
11. deetjohn
12. Revintup + Wife
13. Voyageur
14. figo_mba
15. EagleEye + 3
16. mallu mowgli + wife

Tentative:
1. Recallers & Coolclouds
Old 1st June 2013, 18:25   #1706
BHPian

Guys, I've been following this thread and I'm all excited to see this happen.

I'll be picking up voyageur from Cherthala and shall join the convoy at Arthunkal beach.

I have a doubt though. From Cherthala, Google Map tells me to take a right turn from NH-47 and proceed around 7kms to reach Arthunkal. Does anyone know where this turn is? I know a traffic signal junction from where the KSRTC buses coming from Alappuzha side take a right turn to go to the bus station. Is it the same spot from where I should be turning right(coming from Cochin) as shown in Google Maps?

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/maps/pMDMi
Old 1st June 2013, 19:07   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

Thrilled about the meet. revintup and I shall join you guys in Arthunkal beach around 11:30-11:45.

Hope Anoop will enjoy a long drive to Arthunkal from Allepey .
Old 1st June 2013, 19:13   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post

I have a doubt though. From Cherthala, Google Map tells me to take a right turn from NH-47 and proceed around 7kms to reach Arthunkal. Does anyone know where this turn is? I know a traffic signal junction from where the KSRTC buses coming from Alappuzha side take a right turn to go to the bus station. Is it the same spot from where I should be turning right(coming from Cochin) as shown in Google Maps?

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/maps/pMDMi
As per the google maps, this turn is after the X ray junction. When coming from Alleppey, pass this junction and on the next junction turn left (guess there's a police station). This is as per the google maps. Not sure if this is the best route. Moreover, you are taking Anoop along who is the local guy so guess he might know the route better.
Old 1st June 2013, 19:17   #1709
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Bigbrad, ask for directions from people around. That's the best way to go around. Google maps are not very reliable on their choice of roads. However, I remember seeing directions to arthungal some time back. It shouldn't be difficult.
Old 1st June 2013, 19:25   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
As per the google maps, this turn is after the X ray junction. When coming from Alleppey, pass this junction and on the next junction turn left (guess there's a police station). This is as per the google maps. Not sure if this is the best route. Moreover, you are taking Anoop along who is the local guy so guess he might know the route better.
Naveen, I'm coming from Cochin only. I have two options right now.

1. Drive till Cherthala, pick up Anoop n then join you all at Arthunkal.

2. Drive straight to Arthunkal with you people from Thoppumpady n then will meet Anoop and others there.

Cherthala-Arthunkal is just 7kms, so the 2nd option looks favourable to me. I'll talk with Anoop before taking a final decision. Will call you too incase I'm joining you all at Thoppumpady.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks