Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2004, 01:57   #16
BHPian

Very nicely put GTO, put me right in the middle of the action. And thanx Stratos for making it happen. Next time I see an automobile, it's definitely gonna make me think about the pain and the ecstasy behind its making.
Cheers guys, keep up the good work.
Old 4th October 2004, 02:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So the question of the hour is to mr. administrator. Did they see your classic? What did they have to say to your beast?
Mr administrator didnt get along his Jeep *Instead we thought the evil of flicking away one of those awesome green military jeeps

A very enjoyable outing overall. The engine assembly process and the final vehicle assembly line was very impressive

Thanks to Stratos and his Dad

Dippy

Old 4th October 2004, 11:30   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure if GTO had taken his Jeep, the Mahindra guys wud have been all over it . And probably thought "Hey the Classic still lives. Lets build it again". Too bad pics arent allowed. BTW what's the main reason behind manufacturers not allowing pics to be taken in the assembly plant??
Old 8th October 2004, 16:45   #19
BHPian

Lucky guys .. too bad Mahindra didn't let you take pics...strange...not a of they have anything fancy in there...

Anyway after our experience with the Armada, Mahindra seem to be around as reliable a company as those chaps importing shells as scrap.

IMHO, the only decent vehicles they have is the Army version of the MM550 series and this amazing desi Humvee :

http://www.mahindraworld.com/mahindr....red.htm

(actually built under license from some Israeli company)

btw mods, is it okay for me to link an inline image to another site or should it be in my own space ?

zaphod

Old 10th October 2004, 13:51   #20
BHPian

wow ...goood one guys.Lucky you.Hey stratos,GTO..i heard militay mahindra's are petrol..is that true?...
Old 10th October 2004, 15:34   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey stratos,GTO..i heard militay mahindra's are petrol..is that true?...
The ones that we saw were all diesel. Though they have now successfully implanted the fuel injected Contessa 1.8 Isuzu engine. Even in 4x4, it works well.

GTO
Old 10th October 2004, 20:02   #22
BHPian

GTO, the contessa engine must be smoother for sure over the previous 2.0 (MM550/Armada ) liter they had - better for extended high speed driving but the low end torque ?

Hasn't mahindra tried the Bolero/Armada Grand or the Scorpio Turbodiesel in these jeeps ? and are they any different visually from the ones usually seen so far . (MM550)

Are they also trying DI's - they'll be better for tougher conditions offroad - sand,snow...

I think Petrol engined jeeps are also supplied - they use them a lot up in Ladakh...NA diesel engines have a hard time up there. though th egypse is fast replacing the Mahindra. (BSF i think is going Gypsy all the way.

Also are these army specced jeeps available to civilians on order or do we have go look at the dealers who buy old army disposal jongas/mahindras and sell them off ?

off topic : why doesn'tthe army look into buying the 4x4 Tempo Trax..That was purpose built (in Merc/Puch Gelandwagen / G Klassefor the German and AUstrian militaries. ? (will soon starta topic on this wonderful machine..soon as i get to try a 4x4 one somehow)

cheers

zaphod
Old 10th October 2004, 20:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (zaphod @ Oct. 10 2004,18:32)]off topic : why doesn'tthe army look into buying the 4x4 Tempo Trax....
Hey.. dude.. they had made a Military version..i remember seeing it in some Auto Show! And it looked really useful. Like Jeeps, Trax is also another thing i love...with the Limited Slip Differential and nearly 100bhp..its wonderful!
Old 10th October 2004, 23:26   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
GTO, the contessa engine must be smoother for sure over the previous 2.0 (MM550/Armada ) liter they had - better for extended high speed driving but the low end torque ?
Absolutely. I drove a 550 with the 1.8 engine and that thing was fast, free revving and incredibly smooth. Somehow, it just didnt feel like a Mahindra. They have gone for lower gearing, but yet...that low end torque is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Hasn't mahindra tried the Bolero/Armada Grand or the Scorpio Turbodiesel in these jeeps ? and are they any different visually from the ones usually seen so far . (MM550)
The Bolero/Armada Grand engine is already available in the 550. For the Scorpio turbo diesel, I'd be surprised if they hadnt. A Mahindra insider told me that the Scorpio DI is too tight a fit in the engine bay of the 550, and very expensive to build in comparision. The thing is...Mahindra shares so much between its jeeps that everytime I visit a Mahindra service station, I see a company owned different Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Are they also trying DI's - they'll be better for tougher conditions offroad - sand,snow...
Scorpio engine is a Direct Injection. One other engine that they use in the abso-rural jeeps is also a DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Also are these army specced jeeps available to civilians on order or do we have go look at the dealers who buy old army disposal jongas/mahindras and sell them off ?
First question me and Rtech asked when we visited the Mahindra factory recently. Flat "NO" came the reply. But with Mahindra, anythings possible. I am sure pulling some strings could get you those awesome Army Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
off topic : why doesn'tthe army look into buying the 4x4 Tempo Trax..That was purpose built (in Merc/Puch Gelandwagen / G Klassefor the German and AUstrian militaries. ? (will soon starta topic on this wonderful machine..soon as i get to try a 4x4 one somehow)
Support from Bajaj. Not really a body to speak of. Great on paper with the Limited Slip rear differential and all but terribly built.

GTO
Old 6th April 2007, 10:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

man that must have been a sort of awesome show atleast it would have been to me, and i guess that must have helped you to get to know the parts and fitments better in mahindras and helped restore your CLASSIC

cheers...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks