Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 16:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Team-BHP @ Sepang 2007 report - almost a blog

Hello Duckies,

Just thought, since we're doing something different, might as well go the whole hog. I've started this thread, so that those amongst us, lucky enough to take the trip, can share with you what we did.

Reports, photos, experiences (Some, not all *wink*) can be put here, I guess. I'll go first.

Captain's log, Stardate: 4th April 2007, 1630:

Normally_crazy and I have called each other 20 times today. He's also very charged up. Have collected our disrespectful girlfriends shopping lists and have decided to somehow lose them on the way to KL. We are going to be the first to arrive into Kuala Lumpur from Team-BHP and we're going to utilize all day tomorrow, to have some fun and shop.
Someone arrived back from KL last week and said there are some great F1 season discounts on stuff.
Personally, I'm not too kicked about the shopping as I've only just returned from Thailand 2 weeks ago and I shopped like a beast then.
But the idea of chilling in old chinatown with a couple of Satays sounds good to me. (Beef and chicken, pork is a no no in Malaysia due to it's islamic nature)

Unfortunately, we've got a crap flight. It seems Air India does not operate directly to KL from Bombay (Their so called direct flights, are operated by Malaysian Airways). It seems we are to fly to New Delhi, tickle Ishan's bum for 2 hours and then fly to Malaysia, to reach KL at 1035am (Local time).

The saving grace is that we're returning on a Malaysian Airways Flight. For your own knowledge, if you are flying Air India and your flight has 4 numbers like AI6127, then the flight is a code sharing and will be operated by Malysian. If your flight has 3 numbers like AI623, then you're on an Air India flight to Kuala Lumpur and it's going via New Delhi.

So the flight will take off at 0005, reach Delhi, where we will not even be allowed to get off the plane. We shall cool our heels for a good 2 hours and then leave for KL. I am told that if Ishan wishes to be tickled, he will have to come to the plane.
N_C isn't too thrilled about his sinuses. He's afraid 2 landings, tonight, will make his health rather difficult. I've suggested that he pack his sinuses in an old bag and check them in, rather than carry them onboard, but he's strongly resisting the idea. Holds his sinuses close to his heart that boy.

We're leaving for the Airport at about 8.30, 9pm. My girlfriend is gonna take us there (She works at the airport, so she's going there anyways).

The people that arrived last week from KL said that the whole city is already abuzz and electrified in anticipation of the race. I'm doing my hardest to imagine all the excitement. More later.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th April 2007 at 16:53.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2007, 17:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Guys, one request. Lets leave the chit-chat for later. Lets keep this a clean thread for the guys traveling to post up their updates. This will allow for clean reading. As Sam said, this is to be a sort of blog, so lets keep it like that.
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2007, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just an Info I hope its not OT. But i went to Malaysia in Feb, I had a direct flight from Mumbai yes its shared between Air malysia & Air India. Its at 11:55 at night & reaches KL at 6:30 ish. Please check with your operator again Sam. & I know atleast 3 friends of mine who flew between Jan to March on same flight. So unless they have changed the timings from March, a direct flight is there. HTH

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th April 2007 at 18:24.
Old 4th April 2007, 19:54   #4
BHPian

Guess what guys?
Beat you all to it !!!..
I am already in KL.. Came in on Tuesday from Singapore on a business trip.. There was a bunch of 10-15 Ferrari guys on the flight, all with Ferrari branded clothes and luggage.. Looked like senior execs from Europe..

KL is all decked out in F1 paraphernelia and there is a definite buzz in the air..

Last night I was at a hotel party and got to see Ralf briefly from a distance..

I hear BMW are planning a street drive in the current version race car on Friday in KL. Sam/NC, you may want to look out for that..

Today, went to Petronas Towers for a meeting and there is a BMW Sauber showcase in the KLCC mall, with a real F1 gaddi on display.. took a picture in a hurry.. Nick and Kubica were supposed to come there for a promotion later in the day.. Due to the Petronas sponsorship, BMW is all over the place in KL..

I am going back to Singapore tomorrow and will be back in KL Friday evening.. Ciao then!!

Last edited by nitinbhag : 4th April 2007 at 20:03.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Disaster strikes!

Captain log, Stardate: still 4th April 2007, 2331:

The unimaginable has happened. I'm back home.

Got packed, got dressed. Was red in the face with expectations and excitement. N_C came on time, my girlfriend picked us up and we reached the airport.

Air India was usually inefficient, right from the baggage xray to the solitary check in counter. We hand in our passports and I am greeted with a rude shock. ECNR not done.
You see, my passport does not have an Emigration Check Not required stamp. One requires it to travel to certain countries. In these cases a temporary suspension of this requirement can be stamped on the back on one's passport.
I have been putting it (the ECNR) off for a few years since it requires a personal visit to the passport office. I mostly travel to Europe and Singapore and they both do not require this check.

I did not use one single agent for my ticketing and visas. I used a special ticket (read details on the Official team-BHP malaysian GP thread) that was issued seperately. My visa agent neglected to tell me that it was required for Malaysia. The end result is that I could not travel.

N_C's passport was ok. He checked in fine and is probably on the flight right now, on his way.
The other unfortunate thing is that this ticket may not work tomorrow as it is a special discounted ticket.

I do not know if I can take the same flight to KL tomorrow. My girlfriend is frantically trying to change my ticket, to make it valid for tomorrow's flight. It looks doubtful.
If she does succeed then I have to somehow get the police to suspend the emigration requirements tomorrow itself. Impossible? No. Improbable? Maybe.

Right now it looks like a 50-50. 50% chance that I may fly to KL tomorrow night, landing on the 6th morning. 50% chance that i may not see this years Malaysian GP at all.

To tell you that I'm depressed would be an understatement. I'm truly next to tears. I have nobody to blame and nobody to get angry at but myself. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend with reasonable influence at the airport. She's trying. I'm off to sleep. Will let you know tomorrow what happened.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th April 2007 at 23:44.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2007, 23:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nothing's impossible, Capn Yeti. Thou shalt travel!
Old 5th April 2007, 00:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

If she does succeed then I have to somehow get the police to suspend the emigration requirements tomorrow itself. Impossible? No. Improbable? Maybe.
Its quite possible...I got it done in 2hrs standing in line.....
Old 5th April 2007, 00:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

ya Sam Bhai it is very possible.....just had a talk with ishan about this...it is very possible that you can get your passport stamped tomm..and you will be on fight tomm to malasiya...for the GP.....

Every thing is possible......so cheer up you are only 24 hrs late....
Old 5th April 2007, 00:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your support and PMs guys, means so much.
I've gathered this, it is possible to do the ECNR in a day.

Now, my Air India ticket is non refundable. If this ticket is rendered useless (meaning if my girlfriend does not manage to endorse it somehow) then this means buying a fresh ticket for 21000. I dont know If I wanna do that.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th April 2007 at 00:58.
Old 5th April 2007, 01:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your support and PMs guys, means so much.
I've gathered this, it is possible to do the ECNR in a day.

Now, my Air India ticket is non refundable. If this ticket is rendered useless (meaning if my girlfriend does not manage to endorse it somehow) then this means buying a fresh ticket for 21000. I dont know If I wanna do that.
you have a ticket on jet for 13700 on friday.... you can make it easily to qualifying session.....

sam, there are no two ways about it, you just need to decide between whether making it to kl on friday or saturday...
Old 5th April 2007, 01:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Very sad to hear this Sam, this was your concept, you conceived and planned this whole thing. I can't believe you are going to miss this. Get that ECNR, buy a ticket if you have to and go. It will be worth it. I want to hear your reports from KL eventhough I never cared for F1 much.
Old 5th April 2007, 01:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sam, take ur college passing certificate or/and ur graduation certificate (your degree etc) to the passport office, along with your income tax papers. If you plan to do so in the morning call me on my cell. I think istill have a couple o friends working in the passport office wh might be able to help you with a ECNR not required.
Pray and hope are two things that will get you where you want to go. We'll all pray and hope for you. you do the same bro. im sure your girlfriend will be able to get around getting the ticket endorsed for tomorrow. Go get it and remember to call me if theres a problem in the passport office.

Last edited by V-16 : 5th April 2007 at 01:11.
Old 5th April 2007, 01:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Get that ECNR, buy a ticket if you have to and go.
Tifosi and Samurai and everyone, you know what, you are right. I'm gonna go no matter what.
By 6am today I shall know if my existing ticket is good or dead. If it is good, I'm getting the ECNR done myself.
If it is dead, I will buy a fresh ticket on any airline, get that ECNR and go. I'm gonna go.

Tifosi, it makes no sense to fly to chenai and then fly off, it will be the same expense and more trouble. BUT in case mumbai is sold out, that's plan B.

Thanks for making up my mind.

V-16, I'm gonna call you if I have trouble man.Thanks. First step ticket, next step ECNR.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th April 2007 at 01:14.
Old 5th April 2007, 01:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for making up my mind.
wow, thats great. now that you have made up your mind, you have lot of work to do... go hit the sack now and be there at RPO as early as possible.

good night and all the best.

see you at kl.
Old 5th April 2007, 01:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First step ticket, next step ECNR.

I would say get you ECNR check....even before the ticket.....so it should be the first step......for the ticket ....I think your GF would have arranged it.......

Most Viewed