Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2007, 12:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

A log and an apology

Captain's Log, Stardate 5th April 2007, 1235:

The Apology: This is supposed to be a Sepang Report. I haven't even left mumbai and we're at post #32, still talking about my problem. I am sorry. Thank you for bearing with my difficult time.

The Log: I've never felt so touched. The first half of day has gone with me running from pillar to post and in between it all, I've never thought so many people could be concerned about me. My phone is incessantly buzzing with calls, sms, PMs with questions about updates and offers to help. You know who you are. Thanks. Truly, it is easier at difficult times, when you know there's people wishing you the best.

Now, the last update about this problem, before this becomes a problem thread. Hopefully, it is no longer a question of whether I am going, it's more now about when.

I cannot go to chennai for more reasons than one. Regarding the ECNR, I must travel on the ticket I have copied to the authorities. I may not get my passport in time for a chennai flight (I'm supposed to pick it up in 3-4 hours) and somehow it's not making sense to do this today.

I am going to try and get onto the Malaysian Airways flight from Bom to KL for tonight. It is absolutely sold out and overbooked. On the slight chance that there are more jokers, lol, like me, who forget their ECNR, I may fly. It stands as a 5% chance. If I do, then I land into KL at 7am, along with ajmat and the gang.

However if it doesn't happen tonight, it WILL happen on friday night and in that case I will arrive saturday morning. I have to go. After all this if I don't go it's gonna be terrible. I just have to go.

Now no more ruining this thread (Am dying to use new smiley )

This is supposed to be a fun thread about F1, fun, food and travel. That's what it's gonna be. Buss. I will plug in from the airport before I take off, whenever it may be, that is my promise to you. And when I reach KL, I'm gonna write a fully rocking report.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th April 2007 at 12:50.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hey wish you all the best Sam! Go there and enjoy! Also don't forget to report and get pics...so we all know what we are missing out on.

Hope everything works out.

Drifter
Old 5th April 2007, 12:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Jeez, just logged in to put in my blog & read the horror story. Sam, I hope you can make it on tonite's flight or worse case, even tomorrow's will get you in there on time for the qualifying. Good luck! This bit about having to take the same flight is a bit of a whatever - else I would have asked you to take SQ from Delhi tonite & then on to KL, a bit more expensive but would have got you there. ECNR normally takes a couple of hours only, had to get it done on my wife's Passport.

OK guys, getting set to take the Singapore Airlines flight out of Delhi tonight & then on to KL tomorrow morning. We reach at 9.30 am. For those of you who are getting ready to ask "Why SQ", its because I had some miles to redeem so one ticket came out of that - the remaining three were reasonably priced and in all it worked out a little more expensive than what it would have cost me on Malaysian airlines but I think the SQ service is WORTH the extra $$$.

I have to pick up our track tickets at the circuit so planning to leave our luggage at the Airport for a couple of hours, picking up the tickets & then going into the City. I'll try & get the 3 day special tickets on the train/shuttle for commuting between the Hotel & the circuit on Saturday & Sunday. If I get them, that is....else its taxis!

To say we're EXCITED would be an understatement......I think reality still hasn't sunk in! Anyway, am feeling very restless as the flight is at 11.10 pm so there's a long way to go yet.

Sam, good luck once again & hope to bump into you.....and the others in KL. We're at F Platinum which is some distance away from C2 but who knows......

Cheers and WHHOOOOPPPPEEEE, KL, here we come!!!!!!!

Last edited by suman : 5th April 2007 at 13:01.
Old 5th April 2007, 13:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

Sam good luck to you. We wish to see you in KL clad in F1 gear and a Ferrari Lungi which says "Forza Kimi". I seriously hope and pray that you get to KL before we cross 50 posts on this thread.
Old 5th April 2007, 13:04   #35
BHPian

Sam I had to travel to Cambodia of all places hehe and I did not have my ECNR done I paid some 50$ USD to the immigration officer and he let me through so thats about it.....maybe you could try that as I manage to do this in Mumbai only....
Old 5th April 2007, 13:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

So you figured out there is indeed a direct flight from Mumbai :-) Sad to know about ECNR my bad should have told you about this, Me also didnt have my ECNR so got a temporary one(valid only for the visit) on My ticket itself through my agent.

All the best Sam & keep us updated.
Old 5th April 2007, 13:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

All the best Suman. Hope you have a blast. There is nothing more electrifying than experiencing a Grand Prix on track, not even a bat ball match (sorry my lingo for cricket). F stand can be seen from C2 but you guys could all meet up at the Sepang mall area.

A few tips from me from my experience from 2004

1. Use the buses inside the circuit to go to your respective stands. Its too hot to walk. But on Sunday after the race, avoid the bus to reach the parking lot where your transport awaits you. Walk down instead because the inter circuit buses are crowded.

2. Expect a time of around 2 hours to get back to KL after the race. Theres a huge traffic jam on the way back.

3. Merchandise at the circuit is expensive, best picked up in KL city itself.

4. Do not miss the support races and cetainly not the driver parade. If it doesnt rain you can stand right at the fence at the C2 stand well almost (thats what I did)

5. Carry sun protection lotions or you will be roasted.

6. Food is a bit pricey at the circuit. Most of the chaps feast on chicken sathye out there.

Have a blast guys and bring back a Ferrari for me
Old 5th April 2007, 13:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this, Sam. I know how it sucks to have a plan all mapped out, a suitcase all packed, and the spirit all afire just waiting to get on with a trip, when it all falls down. And that because of a (stupid) technicality.

Its good that it has only made you all the more determined to go there and enjoy yourself.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will all work out and we folks will get to see the tall tattooed totem pole screaming his heart out on TV All good things come to those who wait. Just take it easy and weather out today. One way or the other, you'll be there in a day.

Waiting for your report (and snaps if you can upload them from there). Have a nice trip!
Old 5th April 2007, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Well nice to know you'll be going finally, Sam. I can feel what you must have gone through yesterday with the whole problem rearing its head at the last moment. And it would have really sucked if YOU had not been able to go since you arranged for everything, would have been really unfair.

Well just to end all the sad notes on this thread, Guys I am truly sorry but I've had to scrap my plans at the last moment due to some colossal problems at work. Since I'm the only one who looks after certain departments leaving office is out of the question. Really sorry to all of you for this last minute ditch.

But my two friends will be travelling & I trust Sam, Zakko & all the other to take good care of them & not let them feel left out.

Sam, here's expecting a nice, rocking & fun report from your end about the GP & all the fun you guys will have! Have a great time guys & have a few drinks for me too!!
Old 5th April 2007, 15:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sorry to hear that you are not coming Iraghava, we're gonna miss you. Try and make it.

Meanwhile, my ECNR is done

Now the plan is this. I'm going to the airport to try and get on to the 2215 Air India flight to KL. (GTO and Nikhil are confirmed on this flight). The flight is stuffed to the gills and is closed for booking (Not even waitlists are open as they are overbooked) If I'm lucky, I'll get on. Mostly I'll be back home tonight. But it's worth the shot.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Dippy, thanks for the tips man, these are useful & I'll follow them as closely as possible. Yeah, the sun protection lotion is already on hand

Ishan, this is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
Old 5th April 2007, 16:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you are not coming Iraghava, we're gonna miss you. Try and make it.

Now the plan is this. I'm going to the airport to try and get on to the 2215 Air India flight to KL. (GTO and Nikhil are confirmed on this flight). The flight is stuffed to the gills and is closed for booking (Not even waitlists are open as they are overbooked) If I'm lucky, I'll get on. Mostly I'll be back home tonight. But it's worth the shot.
Sam remain at the airport counter till 30mins after the flights closed for check in. you would have explained your situation and they would naturally recognise you. they would out of humanity put u onto the business class then.!!
and if they dont like your looks theyll upgrade someone else and put u into economy.
meanwhile maybe Gogi can get a word put in thru Our very own Air-India links!!

Old 5th April 2007, 16:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ahhhhh, Good I hope you get to go on today's flight.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:17   #44
Team-BHP Support

wow Sam, with this much support, heck don't be surprised if you end up with a private jet! Go for it man! If nothing else, we'll meet up for a drink later tonight!
Old 5th April 2007, 16:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
wow Sam, with this much support, heck don't be surprised if you end up with a private jet! Go for it man! If nothing else, we'll meet up for a drink later tonight!
High Hopes Robin!! He's Gonna be on Flight
and the flights gonna be rocking!!
Take your Wifey oops bike out Today. lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks