Re: Team-BHP meet in the Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Update:

So this is what the day is beginning to look like:

Attachment 2163801

Jeroen
Jeroen,

I do not have PM status yet. How can we proceed then?

Regards,
Kiron
Old 8th June 2021, 00:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_slager View Post
Jeroen,

I do not have PM status yet. How can we proceed then?
Hi Kirron,
I have just send you an email via the forum. Let’s see if that works
Br Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 12:01   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, once you all meet, please report the post (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality) with your meet report, so it's added to our homepage . Thank you!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 10:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

It looks like there might be about 10-12 of us. So I have made reservations at the starting location and lunch location. This group is getting to big to receive at home I’m afraid. Current covid regulations allow us to sit 4 at one table, so there will be three tables reserved for us. Everybody can order what they like, make sure you pay for you own food and drink in both locations.

I will send the GPX files showing the current route. I would appreciate if you could try and see if you can use that file in whatever navigation device you are using. Be it a TomTom, phone or otherwise. The more of us are able to use the GPX file the easier it will get.

The route is unlikely to change, unless there are road works on the 26th. I will check and if needed will send out an updated file. A couple of days prior to the 26th I will also send some more detailled information out, all addresses, phone numbers etc.

The tentative schedule:

10.00 11.15 Gather at the Schildkamp, Asperen for meet, koffie en gebak
11.15 11.30 Drive to the Minidome
11.30 12.00 Visit the Minidome
12.00 13.00 Drive to Buren
13.00 14.30 Explore Buren and lunch
14.30 15.30 Drive to Heusden
15.30 16.15 Explore Heusden
16.15 16.30 Drive to E.R. Classics
16.30 17.00 Visit E.R. Classics

We will be driving, mainly on little rural roads. If its nice weather there will be a lot of pediastrian and walkers about. So speed will be very low. We will have to play it by ear, whether we can make it all the way to E.R. Classics. We’ll see.

We will be touring mainly in Gelderland. Only when we cross on the little ferry near Heusden will we be in Brabant.

A few things about this route:
  • We will be cruising along the river Linge, the prettiest and longest river of the Netherlands. We will be crossing it several times, driving on both south and norh bank
  • We will also be cruising along the river Waal. The busiest river in Europe. You will see a lot of traffic (barges) and pleasure craft.
  • We will cross the Waal on the famous Martinus Nijhoffbrug near Zaltbommel. This is the only bit of motorway in the route, about three kilometers only.
  • The first part of the route is not only along the Linge, but also in the Betuwe. So we will be passing many orchards. Including a couple of vineyards too.
  • Lots of farms along this route will be selling produce. Little booth, or sometimes just a table or a chair with some vegetables on it. there will be prices on it, put your money in the provided jar.
  • This being the Netherlands there will be plenty of windmills, both the nice classic ones, and the horrible new modern ones.
  • There are many stork nests along the route. All of them in use!
  • You might also spot some non-indigenous animals. Such as alpacas, camels, and even an elephant! Also, make sure to spot the gigantic cow in the “uiterwaarden” of the Waal!

Let me know how you get on with that GPX route file

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 22:48   #35
BHPian

Hope I’m not late to the party. If there is a spot I would like to join
Old 10th June 2021, 00:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Will miss this one, hopefully travel restrictions will be over by the time the next meet happens.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 01:10   #37
BHPian

Would have joined if this trip happened on a bike. May be something for the future to consider a T-BHP bike meet.
joe1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 15:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Let me know how you get on with that GPX route file
Thanks for the nice plan and the writeup about the route. Looking forward to it.

Regarding the GPX file, I was able to import it to google my maps and then use it on my iphone. So should be fine for the meetup.

But the biggest letdown is my Tesla. Bragging to be an advanced car, I can't even add waypoints or import routes (GPX, KML etc.) to the navigation. But I used some hacks in the past (when I wanted to visit multiple places in a day) to add calendar events to my agenda (can sync your fone calendar with Tesla) with locations and can be easily navigated by selecting the agenda item location. This is handy, but the route planning is only done by the car. Long way to go, Tesla.

I am curious how the rest of us with other makes of in-car navigation get around using GPX files on theirs. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2021, 19:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I am curious how the rest of us with other makes of in-car navigation get around using GPX files on theirs. Thanks.
I'm planning to use Google maps via Android Auto, which would rob me of the directions displayed in the meter console, but the ICE unit is easy to read.

I'm given to understand that Tesla does not support Android Auto/Apple Carplay which is a bummer. You might need to use a phone holder or follow the rest of the cars?
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 20:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
I'm given to understand that Tesla does not support Android Auto/Apple Carplay which is a bummer.
I don't mind not having the Android Auto/Apple Carplay, because the interface is faster than even my iphone Most of the features I need are well integrated. What I find strange is Tesla did not (yet) care to accept a few kb of GPX route files, whereas i can just share destinations from phone to car, sync my agenda or even continue listening from where I left off on spötify at home or office. They need to do lot more work on navigation front.

Yes, phone mount it is, btw
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 21:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I never use any car navigation system. I bring my TomTom with me to every car I drive. Perfection can’t be improved upon.

But seriously, the TomTom is very good and the updates (which are frequent) are automatic. Also really like their UI. And the way it interacts and syncs with my drive is really handy for somebody like me who is always planning routes through all kinds of places abd countries.

Traffic information has been working around most of Europe for years as well as the speed camera alerts

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 03:00   #42
BHPian

An update:
RIVM opened up the vaccine slots for those born in 1990 before schedule, and as fate would have it, I got a date on the 26th .
The appointment is near my home at 11:30 AM, so I should be able to meet you around 1 PM at Buren for Lunch.

I've not heard about major side effects of the vaccine that could impact driving, but I am looking forward to the opinion of members here who have/are going to take the vaccine.

Last edited by govindremesh : 11th June 2021 at 03:12.
Old 11th June 2021, 04:13   #43
BHPian

It is approx 50 km from my residence.

I would like to meet all during below timeslot. Would be driving from near hilversum.

Hope the train is yet to leave to be able to catch this part.

Cheers

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 11th June 2021 at 04:18.
Old 11th June 2021, 08:12   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
It is approx 50 km from my residence.

I would like to meet all during below timeslot. Would be driving from near hilversum.

Hope the train is yet to leave to be able to catch this part.

Cheers
Hi,
Are you just joining us for the initial meet or also for the drive?

Ijeroen
Old 11th June 2021, 11:00   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

As we now have potentially some 12 people joining in total, for now it will be difficult to add any more to the group. Reservations are made for 12. I am also not to keen to take too many cars on all these little roads. We will have abattoir with the cyclists and pedestrians.

If you are still keen to join, let me know, send me your email and mobile phone number by PM. Closer to the 26th we will make the list final. There might be some late last minute cancellations etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks