Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 12:44   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHP Meet & Food Donation Drive | Mumbai | Sunday, 14th August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
If such a village could be chosen which is kind of mid way between Mumbai/Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post
+1, was about to say that. Perhaps, next time please try to choose a village in between Pune and Mumbai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Please try to pick a place in between Pune and Mumbai next time.
Done! Going to tell Pranav to pick something between Mumbai-Pune in one of the coming months .
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:27   #17
BHPian

I’m in. Does it makes sense to also get colouring books and crayons for kids? Will get my wife and kiddo

1. Pcpranav - Fortuner
2. GTO - 530d
3. cityslicker86- Celerio
4. revsperminute- Octavia/GLE
5. Arsenic - Innova Crysta
6. Jangra - Kodiaq
Jangra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:40   #18
BHPian

I am also in most probably.

1. Pcpranav - Fortuner
2. GTO - 530d
6. Jangra - Kodiaq
7. nimishlalwani - Avventura Abarth

Looking forward to it!
nimishlalwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:45   #19
BHPian

Jumping in. What an initiative!

1. Pcpranav - Fortuner
2. GTO - 530d
6. Jangra - Kodiaq
8. Raulspace999 - S-Cross

Looking forward to it!
Raulspace999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:58   #20
BHPian

My experience of donating tells me if its a flood affected city area, people mostly need drinking water and pre cooked food packets. If its a donation drive to slum, we avoid cereals and give general items. Due to PDS there isn't much need to donate wheat, rice or sugar, donate pulses instead(avoid urad and chana pulses). Kala chana, rajma and chole can also be included.

The biggest smiles I have seen is while donating 2'×15" mirror and comb set. Many people pass their whole lives without looking into full length mirrors, all they have is 4"-6" mirror, rarely do poor women get to see themselves in mirror with their full attire. The mirror-comb set generally costs around Rs 250. Shampoo is always 2nd on my list, sachets are cheap starting from Rs 1. Women and children are very happy to get shampoos. Slippers for 6+ year old cildren are a boon as they are most neglected part. At wholesale market the price starts from 40 Rs/piece. For children balls of any shape, size and material are must even if its of 10 Rs. For men pyjamas or vest are best and they are cheap. Branded vests like Lux starts from Rs 60/piece, non branded or local brands can be cheaper. Nail clippers are also another item which makes a difference to their life.
Sran is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 15:41   #21
BHPian

Such a wonderful initiative. If only I had known a few more days in advance, could have arranged a rental. As at present am without a car too, so sadly won’t be able to join.

In the last few years of lockdown have learnt that a lot of people need sugar (flows like water in any house especially with kids I was told), tea and cooking oil. Would love to hand over some of that if it’s ok.

I can drop off some stuff to anyone nearby Andheri/Bandra? At least I’ll feel like I’m contributing.

Hopefully by the next time (for the Mumbai-Pune initiative) will have my own car so my wife and so I can join!
Evyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:25   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
I’m in. Does it makes sense to also get colouring books and crayons for kids?
Am sure they will greatly appreciate it
Old 11th August 2022, 18:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Done! Going to tell Pranav to pick something between Mumbai-Pune in one of the coming months .
What about contributions for those who cant be part of the drive. Perhaps not practical as the participants will be carrying the material with them in their vehicles only
regards

Last edited by fawad0222 : 11th August 2022 at 18:34.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:17   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, while all the offers of contributions are much appreciated , we would like to keep it simple. Would prefer to avoid that at this stage. Maybe in the future? But right now, physical participation is the only way to be part of the food donation drive. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 23:45   #25
BHPian

Dear GTO
thanks for bringing all your support and enthusiasm for this noble cause, and I'm already seeing the positive ripple effect. In different forms & timelines I have been doing such activities, and this one was anyways due since few months - you woke me, hahaha, thanks.

Dear colleagues,
so happy to see your interests in such acts, and fortunately some will even manage to participate this time. In future, we'll jointly plan more such events around, and I'm very sure "good" waves will spread across, and many would autonomously start such acts in your local areas.

Today whole day I was out, in-between did peek to this thread. Actually I went on a early morning recce to this sector for finalizing the destination village, since we anticipated few colleagues to join. When I do solo, its an instantaneous thing and simply drive to some far remote places (my fav - Jawhar / Mokhada area - which is really very backward, poor and neglected) with the giving material. Today I took time to explore few new areas - relatively nearer, enjoyed the weather with intermittent showers, had a chai at a local "tapri" (stall). I visited two villages today, and spoke at ease with few villagers - trying to understanding their livelihood. While returning I faced bad traffic jam wasting almost 45 min to reach that Vasai bridge (opp Fountain hotel), after that it was fine. We will have to face this situation on 14th as well. In the evening I went to nearby supermarket and got packets of grains - loaded in car already.

@parsh : I did venture on the Pelhar Dam way, but last stretch was bad (Fortuner didnt mind) but I returned just to save time to recce other areas for our event. But now Pelhar Dam is in my list to see in few days. Monsoon makes every land beautiful. Such way I have come across many beautiful water bodies around - Vandri lake, Sajan dam, Surya waterfall etc.

For now, the Agenda & details are already shared in this thread. Feel free to invite your friends / colleagues / non-TBHPian.

This time we'll cover an interior village off the Vajreshvari road (i.e. few more KM away from Chinchoti town which I earlier planned).

People coming from Thane side (via Ghodbunder road) or Mumbai side (crossing Dahisar checknaka) will have to cross the Vasai bridge to road leading Vasai-Virar-Gujarat. Stretch of say 1 KM after bridge is very bad, large potholes, take the left diversion. (refer below pic
Team-BHP Meet & Food Donation Drive | Mumbai | Sunday, 14th August-vasai-bridge-kinara-dhaba.jpg

Otherwise on the entire trip you will occasionally get few potholes on highway, just be cautious to avoid it well.

Some additional pointers :
  • carry umbrella, raincoat. Think this way - Rains could create a bit delay, but cannot stop your agenda or will. Infact enjoy rains.
  • in your car keep drinking water and small snacks to handle traffic delays (I always do, even in city driving)
  • this time the items would be groceries (and biscuits for kids). Some other trips could even include sanitary & hygiene stuff, clothes, books, etc. Talking of books, its a wonderful experience when kids enjoy drawing & coloring and we alongside scribble something! (reminds of "Taare Zameen Par" film scene of painting competition).
  • the items to be donated can be varied, however some cases need special preparation (eg. women related / school related / old-age home, etc).
  • Also there are several other idea which we can rollout in future (eg. Medical Camp / Vocational Workshop / community needs like water filter or house repairs etc). In-house experts - Doctors, Engineers and Enthusiasts can play a big role.
I personally believe, and as GTO rightly mentioned - physical participation is essential to attain sense of involvement with resultant inner-peace, and empathy towards situation.

looking forward to start this new chain with TBHPians, more power to all.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 01:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Love love love this! What a way to bring driving and giving together. I've been on this forum for years, and this has to be one of the best things I've ever seen - honourable mention to the NAB rallies too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
My experience of donating tells me if its a flood affected city area, people mostly need drinking water and pre cooked food packets. If its a donation drive to slum, we avoid cereals and give general items. Due to PDS there isn't much need to donate wheat, rice or sugar, donate pulses instead(avoid urad and chana pulses). Kala chana, rajma and chole can also be included.

The biggest smiles I have seen is while donating 2'×15" mirror and comb set. Many people pass their whole lives without looking into full length mirrors, all they have is 4"-6" mirror, rarely do poor women get to see themselves in mirror with their full attire. The mirror-comb set generally costs around Rs 250. Shampoo is always 2nd on my list, sachets are cheap starting from Rs 1. Women and children are very happy to get shampoos. Slippers for 6+ year old cildren are a boon as they are most neglected part. At wholesale market the price starts from 40 Rs/piece. For children balls of any shape, size and material are must even if its of 10 Rs. For men pyjamas or vest are best and they are cheap. Branded vests like Lux starts from Rs 60/piece, non branded or local brands can be cheaper. Nail clippers are also another item which makes a difference to their life.
Really good advice, and making a note of this for my own endeavours.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 06:05   #27
BHPian

You guys may want to consider hygeine products like handwash liquids, or sanitary products, as a part of your packages.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
You guys may want to consider hygeine products like handwash liquids, or sanitary products, as a part of your packages.
In general - Yes, can include those, and many more. But ideally I would make that as a dedicated theme for an event. With a larger group confirming the participation for an event, then we can divide the material category (say food, personal hygiene) and bring things in larger quantities to have better coverage in a village.

This time we anticipated few members to join (more are welcome pls come), and to keep it simple we fixed groceries as a theme (+biscuits etc for kids). Why not, next time with larger turnout we can add many things to distribute.

PS: without getting into politics / processes, I have seen extremely poor villages which are far from reach of PDS (Public Distribution System), and they barely manage some food for the day. Same bad situation I've seen for basic drinking water scarcity - which is Im talking just 120-150 KM away from Mumbai !

Do join us on Sun 14th Aug, and further on continue such trips to do our bit for the society. Say one doesn't have a car - no problem, just coordinate with someone on the list here. Say less time to buy groceries, simply order online or buy something on your way back home in these 2 days, or get something en-route on 14th morning. But try not to handover goods to others, but rather physically participate even if just to experience the 'joy of giving'.

Regards,

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th August 2022 at 08:42. Reason: As requested
pcpranav is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:46   #29
BHPian

Count me in!

1. Pcpranav - Fortuner
2. GTO - 530d
6. Jangra - Kodiaq
8. Raulspace999 - S-Cross
9. Venky03 - Triber
Venky03 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 11:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also between Mumbai-Nashik as well if possible in upcoming months. We bhpians from nashik would love to come too.
MayurS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks