Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2007, 23:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

meet was really good. all though turnout was low

but as arkay put it - for this location - a smaller group was better...anyways...thoroughly enjoyed the trip purely for the 4 wheel drive action from arkay and headers....

will post a report with pics shortly...
Old 17th September 2007, 15:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

Short report:
After the usual chennai dropouts from the meet, Me, Headers, Arka, Narayan&family, Majorpayne and Mandeep were the only participants of this recce meet.

We started at 8.30 from the Rendezvous point. Me&Arka in his off-roading 540, Headers drove alone in his Gypsy, Narayan & family in his city and Majorpayne and Mandeep in a sweet Octy L&K.

We headed on the four-lane NH towards the lake and soon overshot the turning point by almost 10 kms. And soon, we found our way to the lake.
We were on village roads as soon as we got out of the NH and it was OK for saloons.
After a 30 minute drive, we reached the lake to find only fishermen who were very keen on taking us on a boat ride. Bah! We're BHPians. We wanna do it on cars.And since that wasn't possible, we started hunting for a different lakeside spot.
This is when we discovered a 400 year old Dutch graveyard.
Ooooh! This creepy graveyard is like its straight out of a zombie videogame.

I was shooting pictures when a guy offered to take us into the graveyard. I was freaked.But still, my curiosity got the better of me. Ill let the pictures do the talking.
This place even has a sundial .

Soon, we were back on our way beach-hunting and tracked it using Arka's Furuno GPS reciever. Mandeep and Narayan parked their cars at a temple and got into the 4x4s.

Our enthusiastic headers drove his topless gypsy into the beach and started making donuts as shown in the pictures.

After some mild off-roading , we started back to Chennai and had late lunch at Sukh Sagar in Anna Nagar. We gave Narayan a farewell treat and we called it a day.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
whats happened to Slipstream.. N_ADITYA.. sideways.. come on guys.. not all of you are religious??
Would have loved to make it vikram. But had to head home to blore for the Ganesh festival. Since i came to chennai I couldnt get any indian/local holidays. Now since my leave was approved I didnt want to miss the pooja.

Do let me know when the next meet happens. Will definitely do my best to make it.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:27   #154
BHPian

Hi Folks,
As you can see am a newbie and took some time to find this thread. :( guess I missed it by a whishker. Will try and hopefully make it to the next meet (or is it by invitation?)
Is there a protocol for these meets? Like Only members and no families? or no newbies or such?
Old 17th September 2007, 18:01   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
(or is it by invitation?)
Is there a protocol for these meets? Like Only members and no families? or no newbies or such?
No formal invitation as such. Just keep an eye out for these kind of events. No protocol either. You dont even need to own a car. Family is welcome as long as they can sit thru excited chatter on the automotive subject which some find boring. Newbies, oldies, one and all is welcome. The objective is to meet as many like minded people, share info/knowledge and basically have a fun time together.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

ok heres the report - again a short one like nirtous' but just adding in some stuff not mentioned there.....

all of us reached the meeting point by 830 and we are eagerly waiting for nitrous - what with all the "build up" he had given about bringing a FERRARI (!!!) for the next meet....!!!

of course - we were not expecting a F430 OR AN ENZO ....but atleast all of us expected a souped up RED PALIO !...

and then our man drives in a TATA SUMO ( old model specced up like the VICTA ) and to cooly hops out, hands over the keys to his driver (?? ) and jumps into arka ;s JEEP !!!!

we started off by 845- 9ish and all of us were very hungry....
with an eye on the left side of the road for some hotels we proceeded into NH only to overshoot our right turn by a good 20 kms !! ( guess the hunger took its toll and all of us missed the turn )-

we took a U turn and now it was time to look at the right side for any good hotels ....

TBHP warning - there are absolutely no hotels worth stepping into in this stretch - ( have gone to tirupathi twice in this route - and i think its the same state all the way to tirupati )....so do carry food...

once we got into the right turn ( or rather left turn now that we missed it and were driving back.... ) ( somewhere near gummidipoondi -towards ponneri )...
Old 17th September 2007, 18:19   #157
Senior - BHPian

contd.....

roads were pretty ok till about 20kms from the lake...there are enuf signs from there on to direct u to the place....

after we rejected the idea of parking cars and taking a boat, we headed back i think 2/3 kms and then found this off road trail to the right ....

all of us drove around 2kms and we entered a small village where we parked the cars and hopped into the JEEP/GYPSY/.. and headed towards the lake...

rest as nitrous put it was pure off road action ( not so for veterans like RK and headers ) but thoroughly enjoyable for newbies like us.....!!!

headers left his mark in the soft sand by way of many criss crossing "crop circles" as Nitrous put it !!! ( started with one good circle before the bacardi and many criss crossing ones after bacardi ... )

the most fun was during the bacardi session where we got to hear a lot of off road lingo , discussions and healthy arguments between headers and RK.... with NITROUS playing the "moderator" in between....
Old 17th September 2007, 18:22   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but atleast all of us expected a souped up RED PALIO !
Cheee Cheee! Yuck!
Can't wait for the Grande punto and Lineo though.
My Italian beauty is in covers currently since I don't plan to drive her until a rally comes up.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

post this - on the way back to the village - nitrous tried his hand at off roading ( basically getting the jeep into a deep ridge and driving back into the road ) - which he did fairly well but for the slush pouring into the rear side ( into the jeep !!! )

headers did his part to dirty mandeep's face ( more like a free sand bath for him !!! )

we headed back to the village and paid the chaps some money for keeping an eye ( and both hands off ) our cars !!

drove back to chennai ( all along no food - and completely starving ) - reached sukh sagar for a sumptuos meal....

had some lessons on consumerism from headers and child psychology from RK while we had the food .....

reached home back by around 430 ....

it was great meeting all of u in probably my last tbhp meet in chennai for sometime now !!!...

btw - missed out that all important bit on NITROUS showing us the snaps of the "FERRARI " - NITROUS hope u can post those pics so that all can see it...

will post all pics in my next post - the net is a bit slow now...

cheers!!!
Old 17th September 2007, 18:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys had a starving but enjoyable meet. Pictures please.
Old 17th September 2007, 19:17   #161
BANNED

Will definitely make it to one of the next TBHP meets!

Where exactly is the turn off to Pulicat lake? Is it the turn marked for Ponneri?

There's another turn-off just after the Tada flyover to the right - to the Pulicat bird sanctuary. Must be interesting when there are birds because I've been there once and there were no birds.
Old 17th September 2007, 23:13   #162
Senior - BHPian

looks like a missed an awesome meet :(
Old 17th September 2007, 23:28   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Will definitely make it to one of the next TBHP meets!

Where exactly is the turn off to Pulicat lake? Is it the turn marked for Ponneri?

There's another turn-off just after the Tada flyover to the right - to the Pulicat bird sanctuary. Must be interesting when there are birds because I've been there once and there were no birds.

chek out with madan - another bhpian who is into the bird watching
Old 17th September 2007, 23:34   #164
Senior - BHPian

ok here are some pics...

CITY near the Puilcat signboard ..probably this is where the roads started turning bad...

mandeep, majorpayne, headers...waiting for the jeep to catch up..
Old 17th September 2007, 23:43   #165
Senior - BHPian

and the jeep finally arrived...but without the driver !!

some traffic on the way..

the 4WD leading the way to off road country..

Most Viewed