Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 15:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata-Shantiniketan Meet - Nov 2007

guys - its been a long time since we met (atleast me) - so i thought of planning for another meet sometime in September. 4th September is a holiday @ my work - Janmastami - but i guess most of the IT-walas will not be able to make it - no holiday??

so it will be better if we can plan it on a Sunday. i am keeping the date open and also the POA.

should we stick to a normal Adda type meet or plan for a drive - i am game for both.

i have heard that Mandarmuni is a nice place to go & spend a day - one needs to drive through the beach to get to the resort. we can even try Shankarpur - but i guess it will too much. but we can always go for a small drive out of town - any suggestions?

ImageShack - Hosting :: 66811894fq1.jpg

your inputs guys - date, time, what to do, where to go, etc.

by the way - i havent yet seen the Phoenix in person
Old 27th August 2007, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Is it Mondarboni?? Or is it a diff place you are referring to? I would say lets have a small adda types..maybe at Uluberia..atleast you get a small stretch to drive..How about having one on Friday night? say 31st. We meet at 9pm and come back by 1am. I dont know whether you guys have ever met before at night or not.
Old 27th August 2007, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mandarmani is on the way to Digha after Contai, the drive from Chalkhola to the Beach is bad (at best) but after that, its just endless driving on the beach! (but turns out boring after the first km). But be wary of quicksand while taking the waves.
Old 27th August 2007, 22:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

I am game to both Uluberia and Mandarmani (or whatever itis called).. I have never been to Mandarmani though once vrooom and I tried to go there in my baleno and a lancer. The lancer would have made it but my car would have received quite a bit of hammering as the roads were so bad. so we abandoned the plan midway. in any case i will hitching a ride in somebody elses car as I am bankrupt.
Old 28th August 2007, 00:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I am game to both Uluberia and Mandarmani (or whatever itis called).. I have never been to Mandarmani though once vrooom and I tried to go there in my baleno and a lancer. The lancer would have made it but my car would have received quite a bit of hammering as the roads were so bad. so we abandoned the plan midway. in any case i will hitching a ride in somebody elses car as I am bankrupt.
If the roads are bad, then I'm not game for Mandarmoni. Uluberia is fine with me. The kebabs were pretty decent last time, eh, BP?
I want to take Phoenix to stretch her legs. Since she's allowed to go to 4k rpm, speeds of excess of 120 can be reached. However, am not too comfortable yet at high speeds because I haven't had any steering/suspension work done and the car doesn't feel steady at high speeds now. Will see...
However, not sure what my situation will be on 31st. Will keep you guys updated.
Others - pls write in.
Old 28th August 2007, 00:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
If the roads are bad, then I'm not game for Mandarmoni. Uluberia is fine with me. The kebabs were pretty decent last time, eh, BP?
I want to take Phoenix to stretch her legs. Since she's allowed to go to 4k rpm, speeds of excess of 120 can be reached. However, am not too comfortable yet at high speeds because I haven't had any steering/suspension work done and the car doesn't feel steady at high speeds now. Will see...
However, not sure what my situation will be on 31st. Will keep you guys updated.
Others - pls write in.
IMO, no point in going to Mandarmani for a drive, Maithon would be a much beter place to go with better and safer roads (all 4 lane roads unlike the road after Nandakumar while going to Digha where the entire stretch is two way narrow state highway). The road to Maithon is excellent and we can enjoy boat rides on the Maithon dam in the afternoons

I think we will end up going to Uluberia at the most as most of the members wont be too happy for an overnight meet.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th August 2007 at 00:28.
Old 28th August 2007, 00:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, no point in going to Mandarmani for a drive, Maithon would be a much beter place to go with better and safer roads (all 4 lane roads unlike the road after Nandakumar while going to Digha where the entire stretch is two way narrow state highway). The road to Maithon is excellent and we can enjoy boat rides on the Maithon dam in the afternoons

I think we will end up going to Uluberia at the most as most of the members wont be too happy for an overnight meet.

I start enjoying a Digha Trip after crossing Nandakumar. Have to watch out for those bully state busses on the opposite side, but the surface, the dips and crests and the curves really impress. However passing those hamlets one needs to be very watchful. Last time I had to overtake a statebus driving on the burm on the right. That guy simply would not let me pass. (I dont honk too much behind commercial vehicles, but this guy was hell bent on not letting me pass).

Earlier this stretch was well known for Mammoth sized Bumps. Moreover, they used to place huge rocks on the sides of the bumps preventing cars to avoid the bumps thru the burm. Every Digha/sankarpur trip upto year 2000 was always eventful.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

The road to Maithon too, is only interesting after one crosses Kalyaneshwari mandir!! That too for a Km or two. Otherwise the expressway is straight and pointless (read boring). Anyway would recommend (though not for the meet) staying over at Majumder Niwas, preferably when the Reservoir is full of water. The effect is awesome at night (especially if it is full moon) and a cool breeze on a warm night. Then ofcourse, walking on the lighted footbridge at night to reach the Niwas. There is another Guest house, which overlooks the reservoir and can provide immense hill climb opportunities for 400-500 metres.

Though Messenjore, I like right from Darjeeling More, and love it after the border to the dam. Not to mention the climb to the guest house.

Last edited by 1100D : 28th August 2007 at 01:10.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

They say a bong always has that bug for the wanderlust. You guys only prove it many times over. On one hand we have abhi sitting in bangalore and filing pages after pages of travelogues and here you are. Every meet seems to turn out into a picnic or a real weekend getaway!

I suspected this is how its probably going to turn out from the moment Planet opened the thread. Thats why I even left a helpful message and a pointer in BP's other thread in the afternoon to get you guys here in a jiffy
Old 28th August 2007, 11:27   #10
BHPian

I am game for any of the suggested places. We can also think of going towards Shantiniketan. There's a resort called Vanalakshmi where the food is excellent. Can go there, spend some time and come back to Kolkata easily by late evening.
What say?
Old 28th August 2007, 11:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am game for anything. But, roads must be very good throughout. Silver Bullet hates bad roads.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Needs to be a Sunday. Good roads must .... baaki upto you guys.
Old 28th August 2007, 16:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I start enjoying a Digha Trip after crossing Nandakumar. Have to watch out for those bully state busses on the opposite side, but the surface, the dips and crests and the curves really impress. However passing those hamlets one needs to be very watchful. Last time I had to overtake a statebus driving on the burm on the right. That guy simply would not let me pass. (I dont honk too much behind commercial vehicles, but this guy was hell bent on not letting me pass).

Earlier this stretch was well known for Mammoth sized Bumps. Moreover, they used to place huge rocks on the sides of the bumps preventing cars to avoid the bumps thru the burm. Every Digha/sankarpur trip upto year 2000 was always eventful.
thats one of my favourite stretches too.. but I would not suggest a family meet through that road simply because once I hit that road it will be very hard to resist myself (or for anybody who loves twisted two way roads - like the one between Darjeeling More and Moregram). so not a good recipe for a family meet
Old 28th August 2007, 16:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
I am game for any of the suggested places. We can also think of going towards Shantiniketan. There's a resort called Vanalakshmi where the food is excellent. Can go there, spend some time and come back to Kolkata easily by late evening.
What say?
yup Vanalakshmi food is good particularly the ghee . Kolkata-Shantiniketan will be a 3 hour drive (max) with a halt at Shaktigarh (famous for Langcha). SO if we start at 7 in the morning we will be there by 10 - 10:30 and the roads are really good. If we start for the return journey at 4 then we will be at home by 8 o clock in the evening. This will be one great tbhp meet with lots of driving
Old 28th August 2007, 17:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yup Vanalakshmi food is good particularly the ghee . Kolkata-Shantiniketan will be a 3 hour drive (max) with a halt at Shaktigarh (famous for Langcha). SO if we start at 7 in the morning we will be there by 10 - 10:30 and the roads are really good. If we start for the return journey at 4 then we will be at home by 8 o clock in the evening. This will be one great tbhp meet with lots of driving
It will be a 3 hour drive from Dakshineshwar Bridge (if at all you are coming from that side), you never know when you are stuck there...I personally did Dakshineshwar Bridge - Siuri nonstop in 2.5 hours in my Alto when I took the car there...

It is fine if you people take the 2nd hoogly bridge and take the BP and then hit NH2 at Dankuni side..

Abhi

Most Viewed