Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kolkatta Calling

Hi Cal guys am going to be in Calcutta from the 26th to the 29th. Would love to meet up with any team mates to exchange experiences and other stuff besides doing a food and drink tour of old places like Tengra. Basically coming for a comvention and will be staying Sonar Bangla. Please pm me for my cell number if anyone wants to meet!!
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

awsome - i am in for a gup-shup-daaru meet. i heard that Viper (aapna Jignesh Bhai) is supposed to be here at that time (probably last minute inspection of Sidewinder)

@ V-16 - it will be great if we can meet up. but why tangra? we can show you some nice food joints (i am a foodie and love tandoori & N.Indian dishes) - you can get in touch with me @ +91-98306-23823 (i dont have any problem sharing my number in the forum)

how about 26th October (evening) / 27th (after 3pm) / 28th (anytime)?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 22nd October 2007 at 17:00.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Gogi bhai... would be great to meet up again!
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:19   #4
BHPian

Great... I'm in.

@Planet - as usual, trust you'll organize everything Just let me know when & where and I'll be there.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
@Planet - as usual, trust you'll organize everything

- what?

Quote:
Just let me know when & where and I'll be there.
yup sure thing! i will do that - mail sent to the group - will send the PMs later - text messages sent already.

@ Razor - can you confirm about Jiggy Bhai as to when he will be here.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 22nd October 2007 at 17:30.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
awsome - i am in for a gup-shup-daaru meet. i heard that Viper (aapna Jignesh Bhai) is supposed to be here at that time (probably last minute inspection of Sidewinder)

@ V-16 - it will be great if we can meet up. but why tangra? we can show you some nice food joints (i am a foodie and love tandoori & N.Indian dishes) - you can get in touch with me @ +91-98306-23823 (i dont have any problem sharing my number in the forum)

how about 26th October (evening) / 27th (after 3pm) / 28th (anytime)?
Thanks bro. I was specifying tengra amongst other things for the awesome chinese you get there. Also would like to ccheck out some Bong food joints...and some Calcutta perennials... viz, Nizams, etc. Also want a taste of the Asli Shorshay Macch .... salivating already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Gogi bhai... would be great to meet up again!
Likewise my friend. Would love to see the Phoenix!!

Quote:
Great... I'm in.

@Planet - as usual, trust you'll organize everything Just let me know when & where and I'll be there.

Great guys thanks for the response. Ill let you guys know of the days in a day or two. Lets make this a meat...err meet!!
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Count me in! Just tell me the place and time.
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:38   #8
BANNED

Hi,

My trip has been delayed a bit and will most probably be there arpund the 31st as Sidewinder will leave by the 26th and would take approx 5-6 days to reach. No point in me being there earlier.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ Razor - can you confirm about Jiggy Bhai as to when he will be here.
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks bro. I was specifying tengra amongst other things for the awesome chinese you get there.
Tangra chinese isn't the same anymore. Its now more "NHC"ized and caters to the wider audience.

So if you have the prior expectation of authentic chinese food in authentic chinese settings/homes, you might be dissapointed.

But having said that, it still is amongst the best places to have chinese in Kolkata. "Mainland China" not being considered as a Kolkata special by me though, but would be tops.
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So if you have the prior expectation of authentic chinese food in authentic chinese settings/homes, you might be dissapointed.
You said it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
"Mainland China" not being considered as a Kolkata special by me though, but would be tops.
Saying the same. But you never know. Let the current bong team take over.
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tangra chinese isn't the same anymore. Its now more "NHC"ized and caters to the wider audience.

But having said that, it still is amongst the best places to have chinese in Kolkata. "Mainland China" not being considered as a Kolkata special by me though, but would be tops.
But I still love tangra - particularly Beijing and Kim-Ling and if somebody wants the same chinese food without going to Tangra then there is Tung-Fong near Park Street. Tung Fong has the same owner as Beijing and Kim-Ling
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys im talking about street chinese food here not swanky restaurant types guys. Im a street foodie all the way
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys im talking about street chinese food here not swanky restaurant types guys. Im a street foodie all the way
For that matter you do not have to go to Tangra. Esplanade Camac Street and Parkstreet tops the chart. But I bet you missed having street chinese during Puja time. More than I love the taste, I enjoy the expressions everytime I tell the ladies back home about my street food exploits.

But surprisingly, my first taste of street chinese food came from Marine Drive (maybe), I was around 5-6 that time, dont recall. It was below a revolving restaurant (forgot the restaurant name, and dont even know if its still there, I guess it was used as a set of "Naseeb") and off a food van (also my first chinese food from a food van). That was also the first time I had a Roll that we associate with Calcutta these days.
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
But I still love tangra - particularly Beijing and Kim-Ling and if somebody wants the same chinese food without going to Tangra then there is Tung-Fong near Park Street. Tung Fong has the same owner as Beijing and Kim-Ling
You know, Peiping and Waldorf (with its revolving floor) were the hottest Chinese places at one time. Its quite ironical as to what they have turned into now. Mom used to be a Chinese Freak (which automatically made me into one) and so there was a need to explore every possible chinese joint in town and then every town/city she visited. Dad had no choice, till about my Sis's "agomoni" who turned out to be the Bengali/Mughlai type.

I guess my Daughter is a Chenghlai!
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:33   #15

Guys, I am in.
Just post the time n place.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks