Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 13:35   #4786
BHPian

re: Chennai Team-BHP Meets: 2017

Count me in for the next drive. Ofcourse I shall bring family along as always.....
Old 30th December 2014, 17:53   #4787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Not sure if +3 meant family or friends. If not the latter, bring family.

Our drive meets are a genial mix of family, couples and singles.
Wife and two kids. The only consideration is that my daughters school reopens on the 5th so I don't want to tire her out the day before
Old 7th January 2015, 15:31   #4788

Now that all the year end trips are done and the whole world is back to its desk, Can we start discussion on any mini meet / mega meet / lunch outing / day drives / overnight stay for Chennai BHPians..
Old 7th January 2015, 15:54   #4789
Senior - BHPian

Do go ahead. I couldn't make chittoor - and knowing how [censored] the highway upto chittoor is, mostly 2 lane and bumpy, from chennai, I am half glad actually.

Can we go to pondy this time - http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...ndicherry.html
Old 7th January 2015, 16:30   #4790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Do go ahead. I couldn't make chittoor - and knowing how [censored] the highway upto chittoor is, mostly 2 lane and bumpy, from chennai, I am half glad actually.

Can we go to pondy this time - http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...ndicherry.html
Er... I do BLR-MAA on the Chittoor route around once a month, and my opinion of that route is a little different from yours.

The highway from Poonamallee to the Walajahpet turn-off (the multi-lane GQ portion) is indeed terrible and absolutely miserable to drive on. But, once you make that turn into Walajahpet, though it is a two-laner, the surface is not as bad as you think it is.

There is one slightly bumpy portion just before the railway crossing, and the rest is pretty good to drive on.

Now, if you're talking traffic, I might agree with you - there is much more traffic on that route than on the GQ, but in my case that's what makes the drive more fun for me - overtaking all those vehicles and driving as fast as I can.

Is it possible that it has been some time since you drove on that route, hserus?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 7th January 2015 at 16:32.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:38   #4791
Senior - BHPian

The only time I've driven on that road is upto the Thirumazhisai temple (and well before that, to my office in the DLF IT park).

It is bumpy and crowded till then - and anyway I have a personal rule not to take my car over 80 on a highway, regardless of whether its 4 laned and absolutely smooth and empty. So, I have little or no appetite for that route, thank you

ps: I have taken buses up and down that route before, and always ended up with a backache, compared to those that ply on the GQ. Still don't find much cause to revise my opinion of that route. I am sure there are stretches there that are less worse than upto wallajahpet.

Last edited by hserus : 7th January 2015 at 17:40.
Old 8th January 2015, 08:55   #4792
BHPian

Guys, can we meet 17th January morning. Since 15th is Pongal, i believe lot of people will be busy on that day. Anywhere around south Chennai? Or CCD Mahabs?
Old 8th January 2015, 11:25   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Lets do pondy? A slightly longer drive than just mahabs. Or maybe muttukadu on the ecr as there's boating there
Old 8th January 2015, 14:13   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Lets do pondy? A slightly longer drive than just mahabs. Or maybe muttukadu on the ecr as there's boating there
I am ready for Muttukadu ( not that I want to do boating in this hot sun). Count me in for this meet.
Old 8th January 2015, 15:22   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I am ready for Muttukadu ( not that I want to do boating in this hot sun). Count me in for this meet.
It is actually quite cool on the water, believe it or not. Worth a try, I would say. For food, some options -

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...amil_Nadu.html (literally farm fresh ingredients)

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...amil_Nadu.html (excellent mediterranean style)

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...amil_Nadu.html (iranian food)

These are none too cheap - if people want cheaper alternatives there's hot chips, a2b etc aplenty around the area.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:09   #4796
BHPian

Quote:
Pondy will be long one for a day drive (for me). Muttukadu should be fine. I am in.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 8th January 2015 at 16:12.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:27   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
It is actually quite cool on the water, believe it or not. Worth a try, I would say. For food, some options -

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...amil_Nadu.html (literally farm fresh ingredients)

Thanks Hserus. I have heard a lot about the Farm but never been there yet. You sound like a Foodie. Even when it came to the Shastrinagar Speed garage, you gave the option of nearby restaurants. We must meet surely.

I am in Besant nagar and always complain that Madras doesn't have many options for food - Veg or Non-veg.
Old 9th January 2015, 07:23   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks Hserus. I have heard a lot about the Farm but never been there yet. You sound like a Foodie. Even when it came to the Shastrinagar Speed garage, you gave the option of nearby restaurants. We must meet surely.

I am in Besant nagar and always complain that Madras doesn't have many options for food - Veg or Non-veg.
I live in Indira Nagar so those two places I recommended in the speed motors thread are walking distance from my house, and they're where I grab food on the occasions that I have to eat out.

As for the Muttukadu restaurants - tripadvisor is a great place to find good ones. I've only driven past there, I don't think I ate anywhere nearby though, just got home for lunch. And yes, I am a foodie.

If you want non veg food near besant nagar, come down to Adyar - Maqs Barbecue and Biryani opposite the HDFC bank (just past the adyar depot / periyapalayathamman temple) serves authentic hyderabadi biryani. I know for sure it is authentic because I spent over 15 years in Hyderabad. Also, Hotel Topsee next to the Adyar Depot bus stop has pretty decent kerala style non veg, including a "special biryani" that is essentially made with chicken 65 pieces.

And then (all these are near my office) - right next to the Music Academy, on the road that runs next to its side wall going towards Royapettah (go straight forward at the TTK Road / Cathedral Road signal), there's this joint called "Kalpaka" that serves the best kerala style non veg including beef porotta. Excellent and cheap (rs.80 or 90 last time I ate there) veg meals too. Near there (in the right that goes towards Gopalapuram) is Bay Leaf which serves bengali and lucknowi style food.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:03   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
I live in Indira Nagar so those two places I recommended in the speed motors thread are walking distance from my house, and they're where I grab food on the occasions that I have to eat out.

If you want non veg food near besant nagar, come down to Adyar - Maqs Barbecue and Biryani opposite the HDFC bank (just past the adyar depot / periyapalayathamman temple) serves authentic hyderabadi biryani. I know for sure it is authentic because I spent over 15 years in Hyderabad. Also, Hotel Topsee next to the Adyar Depot bus stop has pretty decent kerala style non veg, including a "special biryani" that is essentially made with chicken 65 pieces.
Thanks again. I will try these joints this week itself.
Old 10th January 2015, 17:13   #4800
BHPian

Guys, if you're planning a meet, please make sure the place is not very expensive, so that it's within the reach of most. Around Rs. 500 per head should be ideal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks