Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:24   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Delhi Run

Hey Guys

I have been hearing a lot about the time taken by folks to get from Mumbai to Delhi. I think its time we get together to actually have an endurance rally, something in lines of cross-country races.

And to make it interesting, lets add some prize money. Moderators can also help at respective locations to flagoff and end the race. All those who want to be in can pay a certain joining fees (I guess 10K should be fine, this will keep freeloaders away), and the Winner will take it all.

Here are some initial rules which I think can be set

1. Each team will comprise of maximum 2 drivers.
2. Only cars of maximum 140 bhp can be used (Stock/modded) Experienced TeamBHP Moderators can ensure that the modded cars are surely under the bhp limit.
3. All expenses during the trip, like fuel/food/lodging(if needed) will be bourne by the team members.
4. Since it is a rally-like setup so any time lost due to refuelling/meals/repairs will be the responsibility of the team.

The estimated date is on the 18th April weekend, as it will be not as hot all over the country and will be easier on our rides too.

What say guys, are you interested? If yes, lets get going...

Remember, this is not a speedrun, but more like an Endurance Racing. But obviously the first one to get there will be the winner.

And probably for all participants, the winner can host a party in Delhi. What about 6MonthCountry in Mehrauli. Moderators in Delhi can coordinate that... cheers:
Old 4th April 2008, 00:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

18th April is too early for an event of this magnitude, if it happens in the first place that is. Let's see what the support team have to say about it first.

And, the club in Delhi is called Six Month Story.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

ok, now already getting ready to hear of aajtak breaking this news, getting people arrested, and an even more explosive debate about 140 bhp big cars running amok among average people on the highway

I'm lovin it.

/With current regulations, such runs are better done covertly than shouted from rooftops. And man, you'll only be slightly better than apne hvkumar saab. He's done the same in like 17-18 hours. one man
Old 4th April 2008, 08:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lets be honest

It is really a speed run.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:08   #5
BHPian

hey Raghav,

thanks for the correction. Its been a while since I have been to Delhi.

Anyways guys, any takers for the same.

Well, probably with this distance, its all about endurance too. Do we have the stamina to pull it off...

Come on guys lets see some real drivers coming up... And obviously there is a catch, smaller cars might be slower but they can last longer on the highway with lesser pit stops for fuel, whereas bigger cars will easily have to stop more. So think logically, all the ikons, fiestas, even fusions can be real beaters against skodas, civics, etc.

The 140 bhp limit can easily keep the big mercs, beamers and even d skoda RS and accords out of this loop...

So guys come on, its two weeks away, enough time for even 5 teams to come up...

My team is already ready... And BTW we work so even we will take time off our jobs to come for this meet...
Old 4th April 2008, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but it isnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It is really a speed run.
in alot of roads.<20 hours delhi mumbai is old hat. alot of bikers have done 1600km in 24 hours even 2500km in 36 hours has been done on indian bikes.

Will someone please tell me what's new?

and between two drivers, 1400km is a simple task on a good car. heck, any biking forum is full of boys who've done more than 700-800km on all kinda roads (and this is a known racetrack!!!) solo on a bike.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:53   #7
BHPian

Two reasons,

1. Get a cross-country race type setup going in our country
2. lot of discussion is happening around the average time taken to do this run, so let's finally get a real estimate on the same.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO, a competitive even like this on public roads is a sure-shot recipe for disaster. Look what happened with the xBHP wheelie chap & imagine if something happens on this event, the media will be all over us like hungry wolves & we'll be crucified even without a trial.

Also, I've seen a lot of Team-BHP Meets/Drives & the driving that takes place when a lot of enthusiasts get together. It might be an endurance event but there will be racing & one-up manship & the chances of a mishap happening are going to be very high.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

diezel how do u guarantee or put rules in place that it becomes an endurance run and not a mad speed run?

If not, then its a pure recipe for disaster since in the end it'll come down to an all out street race. Thumbs down from my side for such an event.

The only way to do this with safety and precaution is in a TSD format, which of course means the first one to reach might not necessarily win.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:24   #10
BHPian

autopsyche... I agree with you completely... The whole idea is to competing not based on the amount of muscle in our car, but on the sharpness of our minds and driving skill.

Thankfully, TeamBHP has a good reach across the country. Come on guys every one can pitch in to make this happen.

And then, no one can guarantee anything right? Even the drags/or so called SpeedRuns which happen in Mumbai have their element of risk. What if someone's NOS explodes due to bad plumbing?? Media will still hound...

TSD is more likely a format but then manpower is important too. So need more input...
Old 4th April 2008, 13:24   #11
BHPian

Even though the Idea is a good one, however I tend to agree with Ishaan, his point of view is very sensible and I can see it happening..

@autopsyche : I am sorry, I am not aware about TSD format, can you elaborate please..
Old 4th April 2008, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lets leave all this recipe aside,why not all of us decide a state where we all can gather for a great Tbhp event for a day or two,and people can make groups and come down to the venue,calculations made per head for fod and stay and with this each member will be responsible enuff to get in and get back just my thought,but for a endurance run,I take my hands off man.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Lets leave all this recipe aside,why not all of us decide a state where we all can gather for a great Tbhp event for a day or two,and people can make groups and come down to the venue,calculations made per head for fod and stay and with this each member will be responsible enuff to get in and get back just my thought,but for a endurance run,I take my hands off man.
So go ahead, suggest something really good...
Old 4th April 2008, 14:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Something like the National tbhp meet which happened in Goa??
Old 4th April 2008, 17:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Asking For It........

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
IMO, a competitive even like this on public roads is a sure-shot recipe for disaster. Look what happened with the xBHP wheelie chap & imagine if something happens on this event, the media will be all over us like hungry wolves & we'll be crucified even without a trial.

Also, I've seen a lot of Team-BHP Meets/Drives & the driving that takes place when a lot of enthusiasts get together. It might be an endurance event but there will be racing & one-up manship & the chances of a mishap happening are going to be very high.
I agree, this is asking for it. When you say the first guy who reaches is the winner, ppl will try all kinds of stunts to burn rubber and show muscle. One disaster is all it would take to bring infamy to TBHP, if it even covertly supports this.

There used to be an event called "Kanjirapally 500/ Rubber-500", a 500 kms bike rally which used to start from Hotel Hilda, Kanjirapally, Kerala; go through the coffee plantations and end back at the same place, I participated 3 times and lost 3rd place by 15 minus points, in 1987. It was well organized, financed and popular. It was scrapped and the public almost killed the organizers and never ran again after a fatel accident, it was also banned by the the govt.

If at all this has to be run, check points should monitor time of arrivals and penalize early check-ins etc. with full safety crews in place. If this is the complete GQ then you can call it "endurance", with 2 drivers, Mumbai-Delhi is an easy run, doable under 17 hours.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th April 2008 at 17:16.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks