Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 20:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have never considered an off location meet. But this sounds interesting to me. I have driven and ridden through some of these roads. So it gives me an urge to join you.

I wont have a car, I need to piggyback if someone is willing. Please give me atleast 7-8 days notice on the dates. I certainly want to meet you guys especially Zak, Steer (heard lots from Joz), Nikki, Ram etc

Last edited by mail4ajo : 27th May 2008 at 20:54.
Old 27th May 2008, 22:18   #32
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys, I have never considered an off location meet. But this sounds interesting to me. I have driven and ridden through some of these roads. So it gives me an urge to join you.
what?? never done an off location meet? sacrilegious!
join us, and all will be forgiven.

Quote:
I wont have a car, I need to piggyback if someone is willing. Please give me atleast 7-8 days notice on the dates. I certainly want to meet you guys especially Zak, Steer (heard lots from Joz), Nikki, Ram etc
so far we have only 3 guys needing rides. still plenty of place left. should not be a problem.
the dates are already decided. 14th and 15th june

@quicksilver- call me anytime.
@ everyone else, please give suggestions on where we should be camping on the night of the 14th.

also,if its an overnighter, the route is not finalised

Last edited by rippergeo : 27th May 2008 at 22:20.

Old 28th May 2008, 00:18   #33
BHPian

what roads are we planning to? or isnt there one?
Things like halt or overnight stay?? Where??
I would also like to join this one as i am going to be there anyways.
Old 28th May 2008, 02:18   #34
BANNED

Carmelia haven is a good place to stay if Idukki is the destination.
More places near Vagamon etc are also viable. Lots of places near Vandanmedu is also good for camping.
Old 28th May 2008, 07:14   #35
rippergeo

Since no one has replied to my query about the route, I have take the liberty to chalk out the one below.

Ekm- thodupuzha - kulamavu- cheruthoni- kallarkutty-vandanamedu- munnar
with the camp being at vandanamedu or munnar itself.

and munnar-devikulam-thekkady the next day.

what about thekkady-cochin on the return?do we retrace our steps? or do we find a new route?

Questions to all

1.is this route too long?(it is'nt long for me)
2.how long is it roughly?
3.is the route correct?
4.any suggestions on hotels to stay? I need a name before I can call and reserve.
5.any alternate routes?

Last edited by rippergeo : 28th May 2008 at 07:16.

Old 28th May 2008, 10:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Since no one has replied to my query about the route, I have take the liberty to chalk out the one below.

Ekm- thodupuzha - kulamavu- cheruthoni- kallarkutty-vandanamedu- munnar
with the camp being at vandanamedu or munnar itself.

and munnar-devikulam-thekkady the next day.

what about thekkady-cochin on the return?do we retrace our steps? or do we find a new route?

Questions to all

3.is the route correct?
4.any suggestions on hotels to stay? I need a name before I can call and reserve.
5.any alternate routes?
No idea about the Kulamavu-Vandanmedu route, but promises to be good. I know the Idukki Dam-Kattapana-Vandanamedu route, which I had discussed in this forum 2 days ago (Drive to Idukki head, I think).

Carmelia Haven at Vandanamedu is supposed to be a nice place. Lots of places in and around this area too, no idea how many of them have survived the recent demolition drives!

Thekkady-Kochi is on the KK Road (Kumili-Kottayam Road), via Vandiperiar, Kuikanam, Peeremede, Mundakayam. Go all the way to Kotttayam or turn off at Ponkunnam and go via Palai, Thodupuzha back to Ernakulam.

This is a beauttiful route, and if it rains hard, a fantastic experience. Good enough a drive for me to think of driving down from Bombay to join ou all - wish I could!!
Old 28th May 2008, 10:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...g-roads-3.html

Here is the link for the discussion on tthe Idukki-Munnar route
Old 28th May 2008, 10:17   #38
BHPian

is kumarakom somewhere in between?
Old 28th May 2008, 10:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
is kumarakom somewhere in between?
On your return, if you take the road from Thekkady to Kottayam, you can detour to Kumarakom (15 kms from Kottayam), and return to Ernakulam from there.

Looking for a piece of info here - is the road from Kumarakom to Chertala complete - a bridge was under construction?
Old 28th May 2008, 12:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Looking for a piece of info here - is the road from Kumarakom to Chertala complete - a bridge was under construction?
I dont know which bridge you are talking about, but we normally travel to Kumarakom thru Cherthala and not thru Kottayam. Takes about 20-25 mins from Cochin to Cherthala, and the road via the Bund is good even if a bit narrow.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I dont know which bridge you are talking about, but we normally travel to Kumarakom thru Cherthala and not thru Kottayam. Takes about 20-25 mins from Cochin to Cherthala, and the road via the Bund is good even if a bit narrow.
Exactly, that is the route I am talking of. There is a bridge that was built a few years ago. Earlier, one had to come from Kottayam.

Thanks for the info - do the know the exact place you have to turn off NH47? Do you have to go into Chertala town?
Old 28th May 2008, 12:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info - do the know the exact place you have to turn off NH47? Do you have to go into Chertala town?
Turn left into Cherthala exactly where the 4-lane currently ends. To be precise, turn left at the Karthiayini Bar. Yes you need to go through a part of CHTLA town.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
ANSWER:

Quote:
Thekkady-Kochi is on the KK Road (Kumili-Kottayam Road), via Vandiperiar, Kuikanam, Peeremede, Mundakayam. Go all the way to Kotttayam or turn off at Ponkunnam and go via Palai, Thodupuzha back to Ernakulam.
Turn off at Ponkunnam and go via Palai, Thodupuzha. Alternatively do Ponkunnam - Kuruvilangad via Uzhavoor and get back into the EKM - Kottayam route. Excellent roads thru Rubber estates.

Questions to all

No it isnt.

Who cares? Just D R I V E.

3.is the route correct?

Seems to be correct.

Camelia Haven has been suggested. Their rack rates are on the higher side:

Carmelia Haven Thekkady/Kumily, Thekkady/Kumily Hotels, Kerala Hotels, Indian Hotels, Hotel accommodation in Thekkady/Kumily

5.any alternate routes?

Sounds good enough for me. Hopefully it will rain HARD.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th May 2008 at 13:06.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:47   #44
BHPian

Carmelia haven will be ideal, if we plan to spend time there & also bit off route if we are planning to do ekm-thekkady-Munnar - ekm.

How about..

Day 1: EKM - thodupuzha - Kulamavu - Idukki - Kattappana - Elappara - Kuttikkanam - thekkady. Over night stay

Day 2: Thekkady - puliyanmala - nedumkandam - Kattappana - Munnar - adimaly - EKM.

This will be 2 full days drive.
Old 28th May 2008, 14:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:

ALWAYS welcome! and do seriously think bout 'shifting to kochi' incase if you plan to meet us during the "D R I V E"!!! he heee.... its so much of fun!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks