Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 00:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet

Meeting at Worli Sea face is good, but this, the NYC Team-BHP meet was much better. Same excitement but on another water front. This time in Manhattan. Drenched in rain, I meet Rehaan under the Empire State Building. In couple of minutes Advait (AAH78) arrives at the scene. I introduce both of them to my cousin who then left to meet his friend. We started walking, on the way asking each other about where to eat. Finally, we end up in Blockheads, having Mexican Cuisine. We had some great time there. Thank you Advait for the lunch. Later comes, Arun (Xsara King), after finding parking for his Mitsubishi Lancer EVO9 MR. We later head on to the water front. Nice place to sit and talk about cars. After a couple of hours and a picture, we head to the underground garage where Arun had parked his EVO. Arun later takes us on a ride. Felt wicked as he ripped through the city tackling only one thing, yellow cabs. We hear his exhaust note under the tunnel that runs through central park. Later I see a Humvee parked on the side of the road. How can I let it go without a picture with it. Thanks to Rehaan for taking the picture. Then Arun drops me off at central park where I met up with my cousin again.

To end it, I had a lot of fun at the meet. This was definitely one of the best part of my New York trip. Thanks to Rehaan, Advait and Arun for their wonderful treatment. I have attached a few pictures.

Me, AAH78, Rehaan, XsaraKing
Name:  NYC04.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  133.3 KB

XsaraKing's EVO9 MR
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-evo45.jpg

..me with the Humvee
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-humvee.jpg

Last edited by Stratos : 4th June 2008 at 00:18.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kickass! Both the EVO 9 the Humvee! Nice to see you guys having a fun time in Amrikka!

Last edited by iraghava : 4th June 2008 at 00:26. Reason: Correcting typos.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

The perfect colour to have the EVO in. Just spells pure character. Awesome Humvee too. Nice to see you boys at the American version of Worli Seaface
Old 4th June 2008, 00:30   #4

Anyone notice how similar rehaan and karl look!! Anyways, Superb evo and humvee!!

I see the vortex defuser in the back but where are the small door mirors that the Evo9 MR sports?

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 4th June 2008 at 00:32.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

OMG !!

I am in love with that EVO. Brilliant !! And in my fav color too. sigh - wish I was there.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of our finest decide to ruin the NY skyline ! Great meet!
Old 4th June 2008, 00:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post

I see the vortex defuser in the back but where are the small door mirors that the Evo9 MR sports?
If I am not mistaken, this was just the EVO9 MR and not any FQ 340 / 400. The mirrors you are talking about are on the Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ 400.
Old 4th June 2008, 01:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Boro of Manhattan.

From humble beginnings with just a few members, Team-BHP has grown tremendously and exponentially, since.

Automobile enthusiasts from all over India can get in touch with fellow BHPians living abroad and have fabulous meets in exotic locales. This has been my 'second' international meet. The first was when Samurai visited the US over a year ago.

Stratos had informed us (Rehaan and me) that he was coming to NYC sometime in June, but I wasn't aware he'd pop up right at the end of May.

I decided to PM a few members living around New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and even as far as Philadelhpia, Pennsylvania.

It was an impromptu meet and most members had already planned out their weekends - maybe next time we shall decide well in advance and plan a drive somewhere eg. Bear Mountain, Pocono Mountain or wherever.
Thanks to all you guys who responded to my PM's, and thanks to Xsaraking for showing up!

It was great spending the day with you guys talking nothing but cars, cars, cars and more cars. True enthusiasts are hard to find but not on Team-BHP, ofcourse.

The star of the show, undoubtedly, was Xsaraking's EVO 9.

I'd experienced (as a passenger only) a Subaru WRX Imprezza belonging to an acquaintance, a while ago, and wasn't too impressed with the car overall.
The EVO (again experienced as a passenger), however, made me a believer. To get facts straight, like the WRX, it's not a comfortable family sedan, nor is it a grand tourer car - don't expect to go on long rides with a full-house aboard, but once started up and you hear the rumbling burble of the exhaust - it is very very addictive.

Hopefully, Xsaraking will enlighten us with his exploits on the track!

I have a short (around 10 seconds) video clip of the EVO at idle, and another one (same length) with Stratos revving it.
Suggest you don't listen to them on teensy laptop speakers but connect the computer to your stereo / home theater system - it'll be worth it.

A few on-road pictures driving through Midtown Manhattan:
Carbon Fibre Boot Spoiler:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-carbon-fibre-spoiler-02.jpg
Cheeky shot of an old beaten-up Dodge RAM:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-ram-06.jpg
Through the Murray Hill Tunnel (a symphony):
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-murray-hill-tunnel-05.jpg
Front:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-front-04.jpg
Vortex Generator:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-vortex-generator-07.jpg
BBS Wheels:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-bbs-wheels-01.jpg
Engine Bay:
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-engine-bay-03.jpg
Dashboard (courtesy Stratos):
Report & Pics: New York City T-Bhp Meet-dash-board-02a.jpg

All in all, a Saturday well spent!

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2008 at 01:41. Reason: editing.
Old 4th June 2008, 01:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

wow!!!..dont we all just love the EVO!!. Same old rant..when will we start seeing them selling in India?? phewww.
Old 4th June 2008, 01:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Xsaraking/Arun: You're a true team-bhpian NRI.
Old 4th June 2008, 03:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Bombay is NYC, and NYC is Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
sigh - wish I was there.
Lie, I do not, when I say that we did think about you - a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
If I am not mistaken, this was just the EVO9 MR and not any FQ 340 / 400. The mirrors you are talking about are on the Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ 400.
I looked that up and from what I found that the FQ's weren't 'officially' sold in the U.S. Don't know whether some grey-market cars made it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nice to see you boys at the American version of Worli Seaface
That would be 34th Street and FDR, along the East River. It's a nice place - one of the few 'isolated, but not really' kind-of places in Manhattan.
Believe it or not, we even have a version of Marine Drive - called the West Side Highway, along the Hudson River.
Old 4th June 2008, 03:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys had a great time. Lovely pics and awesome Evo pics. Also the H1 looks the part in the true army attire.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:45   #13
BHPian

Hey folks any plans of another meet in NY after the 22nd of June ??.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:32   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Awesome! A near all-mod meet in the most vibrant city of the world, and cruising in the EVO. Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Is Xsara active? I see only two posts from him in a year?
Old 4th June 2008, 12:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great car. Was surprised to see the rear have the small fins type protrusion...Great color. Now my desktop background

Most Viewed