Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which weekend is best for you for a Pondy drive/meet ?
Weekend of 9-10th August. 6 20.69%
Weekend of 30-31st August. 23 79.31%
Weekend of 6-7th September. 10 34.48%
Other dates (Please specify). 1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 13:24   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
supremeBaleno : Does that imply we will be seeing more Bangalore tbhp-ians at the meet ? That sounds great. .
SB, you understand my intentions .

Will definitely try to join you guys. If you guys start towards the afternoon to reach Pondy in the evening, then BLR TBHP-ians can start in the morning to catch up with you guys by evening.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am sure we can make some adjustments in our departure time from Chennai such that we all (Blore + Chennai) leave together as a group.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
supremeBaleno : P.S. : What is the per person budget that we are looking at ? That would help identify the correct option.
We want space outside the rooms .. And considering that we'll be staying up & out pretty late, the Exec room should suffice - if they are good enough.

Going by the rates mentioned, I guess the rooms can take 3 people max, incl the extra bed.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

I heard the Kailash Beach Resort is great. SB, can you speak with them?
Old 1st August 2008, 15:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

OK, I stumbled across their website and found the answer to why there exist executive rooms in an all-suite hotel. The executive rooms are not part of the main hotel, but located in another building some 150metres away.

Also they mention that no room-service or extra occupant for executive rooms. So max the room would take is 2 people. Looks like the suites would be best for us - Rs1800 for 4 people, including an extra guest. A total of 4-5 suites should do it, I guess.

From the pictures, I wonder whether they have enough parking available. Will get more info from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I heard the Kailash Beach Resort is great. SB, can you speak with them?
Well, it sure is good, but costly. Tariff is as below and if it is OK with all, we can talk with them.

Simple Rs. 2700
Double Rs. 3500
Triple Rs. 4500
Extra Bed Rs. 800
Breakfast Included
8% Service charges extra

So, if we take a triple room and throw in an extra bed, we are looking at 5700 for 4 people (including surcharge) which comes to 1400 per person. Is that OK ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st August 2008 at 15:21.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

So, 20 people sit inside a hotel room and booze?
Can you find a place with a lawn or a beach where you can do it(the booze) in the open?
Old 1st August 2008, 15:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey nitrous, we will use the room just to sleep at night.
There are nice beaches there where we can go and have fun in the open. vikram could drive his Gypsy on the Pondy sand, for example.
Old 1st August 2008, 16:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Got some more info from the Executive Inn :
1. parking only on the road in front of hotel.
2. Normal occupancy of suites/rooms is only 2.
3. Need advance payment for booking.
4. They said they would not take group bookings. On asking why, the reply was "Since we have limited no of rooms with 90% prior bookings, we do not have more than 2 or 3 rooms available at a time".

I checked out Hotel Mass also and the rates are :

Standard room (Single) : 1800
Standard room (Double) : 2000
Deluxe room (Single) : 2200
Delux room (Double) : 2400
Extra person : 600
All the above are with taxes and breakfast inclusive. And Mass has basement parking.

Last time we were there, they gave us a 15% off on showing official visiting card.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ha Ajo, long time. Glad you reminded about the rooms. Yes, we need to book in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Lets book rooms at a resort beachside rather than a star hotel in the centre of the city.
We have many options in Pondy. I usually stay a sleepy Surguru hotel, same cost. As Nitrous said, lets use the room only for crashing at night. How about Chunambara, 8kms from pondy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you gonna come in your bullet ?
Would have loved to but wife is against riding it in even within Chennai, imagine Pondy!!!
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
phoenix & neoranjit, what's the parallel track that you guys are having on this thread about waltzing, getzing etc ?
No Waltzing here!! Neo was asking me about my long delayed Getz CRDi delivery - I had promised him drive-till-you-drop trips after I get it

Quote:
What are your suggestions about the destination, neoranjit ?
Are you sure about that question?

Quote:
Scenario: Date Friday, About mid-noon. I get a call asking me if I am game for a drive.

Quote:
Me: Where to?
He: Past Banglore, definitely not Coorg - been there several times over!
He: How about a drive to Mumbai, take a U-turn and drive back? I gotta be back by Sunday night or Monday morning max
Me: Lets check with my friend in B'lore and see if he is game for a drive, we will drive upto Goa and come back
He: Sounds good

<Call conference all the three> - @#$%%#! conference kept disconnecting because my signal was low.

Bottomline - My friend can't make it, he has a party that he can't skip.

He: Pack your bags and come to work, we will leave by Saturday 1:00 AM or so..
Me: Done!
Friday Night, 8:25

Beep Beep!!

A SMS that reads Please forgive me from He.

I send a reply: ...coz you can't stop loving me??!

After a few nonsensical messages, he sends: Am driving with my dad to B'lore, he has some work there and wants me to drive with me.
Good that I didn't pack my bags and drag it along to work!!! (He wouldn't know that until he reads this, btw!!)

But then to be honest, I'd done this before - plan a trip and then jump off before the "Go!"...

And I guess we now know who He is, and why I commented what I had for Supremebaleno's question!!!

Game for a U-Turn at Nariman Point, People??!! cheers:
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
OK, I stumbled across their website and found the answer to why there exist executive rooms in an all-suite hotel. The executive rooms are not part of the main hotel, but located in another building some 150metres away.

Also they mention that no room-service or extra occupant for executive rooms. So max the room would take is 2 people. Looks like the suites would be best for us - Rs1800 for 4 people, including an extra guest. A total of 4-5 suites should do it, I guess.

From the pictures, I wonder whether they have enough parking available. Will get more info from them.

Well, it sure is good, but costly. Tariff is as below and if it is OK with all, we can talk with them.

Simple Rs. 2700
Double Rs. 3500
Triple Rs. 4500
Extra Bed Rs. 800
Breakfast Included
8% Service charges extra

So, if we take a triple room and throw in an extra bed, we are looking at 5700 for 4 people (including surcharge) which comes to 1400 per person. Is that OK ?

I stayed here last month with three of my freinds. It is past Pondy on the way to cuddalore( past the boating area). It cost us 4500+800 for the extra person for a night BUT the rooms were really contemperory and nice and excellent service. We asked for ice cubes at 1.30 am and they supplied it within 10 minutes.There is a private beach (well u know deserted=private) right outside the hotel and beautiful swimming pool, massage et al. However the food was not that great and you can only drink in the room if you bring your own booze that is if you want to sit in one of those beautiful pool side terraces or in one of the lawns, you have to pay 200 per bottle(yes even if its yours) we actually did that twice since the ambience is good.

We spent 17000 for a weekend. yes it was expensive,BUT was it worth it, Totally!!

BTW: Breakfast included.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:12   #42
BHPian

SB: wont it help if we get a head count before chking for rooms. if the turnout is higher ( blr and chn) then we might have to get more rooms.

@ajo: good to see you back.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x
Are you sure about that question?
Game for a U-Turn at Nariman Point, People??!!
OK, I have done my share of crazy last-minute unplanned drives - fuelling up and doing a Blore run for no reason other than the fact that someone just suggested it.

But a Mumbai run ? And that too just for the heck of itHmm. And this when sober. Anna, Ranjit, neenga deivam.
I take back my question asking you suggestions for the drive.

@fiery_enzyme, thanks for the update on the rooms at Kailash. I am sure the rooms/facilities would be great. But the point is, "Is everyone OK with spending 1500 per person just for crashing there a few hours ? " I am with the majority and if everyone is OK with it, so am I.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

How about we wait for this thread to get updated:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...nts-pondi.html

For a few hours of shut-eye, we could try get something better.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

St. James Court Beach Resort is another decent location. They have rooms for 1800/- & 2500/-. 2500/- can surely accomodate 4 to 5 guys. We can also get a discount of 10%. Food is good, drinks are reasonably priced. Access to the beach, swimming pool.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks