Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you like to do @ Grips?
I shall just try go-karting for fun! 11 42.31%
I shall take part in the competition. 15 57.69%
Go karting is not my cup of tea,I shall be a spectator and click snaps instead. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 14:38   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Bangalore TBHP Go-karting Meet on 07/09/2008 @ Grips. All are welcome!

It seems like ages since we last met up for a go-karting session. So decided to have a meet @ Grips on 07/09/2008.

I know there is a new go-karting centre at Marathalli. I checked that place out and didn't find it very exciting. Still think Grips is the best place to kart in town.

So inquired from the owners if we could rent the place out for TBHP exclusively. The owner said that they will not rent out the place on an hourly basis but he could rent it out from 10 am - 6 pm @ a cost of 1.25 Lakhs . We will be given 6 numbers of 10 bhp go-karts. And no timing equipment will be provided either.

So thought we could split this fun meet into two parts:

1. Fun ride for those first timers & those with families who want to try their hand at go-karting with the 7.5 bhp karts.

2. We could have a small competition like we did at Patel's Inn a long while back. The format would be as follows.

All participating in this competition will be batched into different groups, each consisting of 6 members. The posistion of the members on the grid will be chosen by a chit system that each member will have to pick up since Grips has no timing equipment. Or can someone suggest a better way? We could run a qualifying format of 6 laps and the best lap time (manually monitored by 6 members) will set the grid positions.

Top two from each of these races will be selected for the semi-final round. For the final round only the top 6 finishers will qualify to fight it out for the podium finishes.

All go-karts will be the 10bhp ones for this competition. The final round will have a race distance of 25-30 laps.

Once we have the confirmed numbers, I shall start working out a decent price with the owner. So get the numbers rolling.

PS: I request all the families that have shown keen interest in attending the bangy meets off lately to kindly turn up for this one as well. It will be a fun outing for everyone. We could even have a all women's competition as well.

PS 2 : After go-karting we will be heading out for lunch at a resort or dhaba too.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 12th August 2008 at 14:43.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:25   #2
BHPian

I am in!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 12th August 2008, 15:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

In 100% Keep the prizes ready:-)
Old 12th August 2008, 22:12   #4
BHPian

i am in for the karting.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:46   #5
BHPian

IF the owner drops the prices and I can get an approximate idea of what it costs per head (inclusive of everything) I will be trying my hardest to confirm it . I would desperately want to make it - if costs are reasonable.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Patel's Inn, like last time. They provide timing, and it will be much easier to just book the place for a couple of hours around lunchtime on a Sunday. Even from 1 lakh odd, if he comes to 75k, I don't see the numbers adding up. You will be looking at not more than 50 people, if it comes to that. And I don't think anyone is going to pay 1k to enter.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
In 100% Keep the prizes ready:-)
Really? Have you figured out how to drive through a wall yet?
Old 13th August 2008, 01:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Really? Have you figured out how to drive through a wall yet?
Last i remember i beat your best time by 3 seconds. I would lapped(thrice maybe) you if I didnt keep slowing down for you in the rain.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you need memory pills to go with your wall-recovery schedule. Anyway, this is OT. I'll see you there.

In a wall.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:39   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
I suggest Patel's Inn, like last time. They provide timing, and it will be much easier to just book the place for a couple of hours around lunchtime on a Sunday. Even from 1 lakh odd, if he comes to 75k, I don't see the numbers adding up. You will be looking at not more than 50 people, if it comes to that. And I don't think anyone is going to pay 1k to enter.
Patel's Inn is no longer providing timing. Their equipment was busted last time I went there. Also they wont rent the place out on Saturday or Sundays anymore on hourly basis, only during weekdays. Karts are in completely screwed up condition. So given these circumstances I suggest Grips would not only be more fun but worth the moolah given the condition of the go-karts.

This is what I have in plan. Initially we collect a fixed amount of money from everyone for the first round. Then all those who qualify will have to pay the extra amount for the coming rounds.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 13th August 2008 at 15:42.
Old 13th August 2008, 18:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

so it basically costs you to be good
Old 14th August 2008, 01:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, lol. And still, how can we break even on 1 lakh odd?

How about just renting a cab out, finding an open parking lot, and doing time trials? That will be so much cheaper.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:21   #13
BHPian

Haha yeah,

On another thought, how much would renting the MMSC take! why not have a session there!

If we are willing to spend 1L for mere 10bhp carts and a relatively small track, why not the same amount or so for say our 100bhp+cars and on a nice long track .

Why not have an event like this there, the best place according to me to test driver skills!

Go Karts will always favour the driver who is light in weight, since the engines are a mere 10bhp (claimed). So the guys who are light already have an added advantage.

However the track,I bet will be better than all of the above places mentioned! Also, it will be a true test of the driver and his skills!

Just a thought!

Cheers,
Shrey
Quote:
Yeah, lol. And still, how can we break even on 1 lakh odd?

How about just renting a cab out, finding an open parking lot, and doing time trials? That will be so much cheaper.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 14th August 2008 at 09:27.
Old 14th August 2008, 16:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post

However the track,I bet will be better than all of the above places mentioned! Also, it will be a true test of the driver and his skills!
But this would be unfair.Everyones cars have different power-bands and handling characteristics.
Old 14th August 2008, 16:48   #15
BHPian

I'm in for sure. How much will it come to per head?? That depends on no of people I guess. A quick calculation shows that even if there are 25 people and the cost is 1L, the per head cost will be 4k. It has to be considered how many would be ready for this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks