Others - Please mention in thread 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 19:02   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'm doing the Vijayawada to Chennai as per hvkumar's orders.
I can tag along with you if you are doing the chennai-vizag-chennai loop.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Great offer, thanks for that deky. We will work our program around that.

Are you also joining the drive?
My wife and I (i.e. if spousesare allowed) would love to do the Jaipur-Delhi leg of the GQ meet. I have an Aveo and would be taking my own car.

Just a suggestion :- If anyone has a 2way radios (walkie talkie) it will definately come handy. I have realised while travelling in convoys they are a very good mode of communication. One can be carried by the lead car and the 2nd piece by the last car.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:33   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
My wife and I (i.e. if spousesare allowed) would love to do the Jaipur-Delhi leg of the GQ meet. I have an Aveo and would be taking my own car.

Just a suggestion :- If anyone has a 2way radios (walkie talkie) it will definately come handy. I have realised while travelling in convoys they are a very good mode of communication. One can be carried by the lead car and the 2nd piece by the last car.
Wives definitely welcome.

I have used the Motorola trunk radio on similar drives, they are very good. But I have no idea how to go about it.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:55   #139

i would be open for the pune-mumbai-pune sub-sector if applicable in the (bangalore-mumbai-bangalore) route
Old 19th November 2008, 22:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sir, any update on plans/planning ?
Old 19th November 2008, 22:33   #141
Senior - BHPian

Responses coming in fast, but too early days. Moving to one thought that Baroda could be overnight halt for Day 2, but not sure yet.
Old 20th November 2008, 08:36   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Responses coming in fast, but too early days. Moving to one thought that Baroda could be overnight halt for Day 2, but not sure yet.
That will be good news for us!
Old 20th November 2008, 10:50   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
I have used the Motorola trunk radio on similar drives, they are very good. But I have no idea how to go about it.
Sudev / Sideways / others with rally experience,

we would need your expertise and guidance here. From your posts regarding the Raid, it would seem like there is a base station and multiple "carsets" to maintain radio communication. How would a similar set-up work if the entire convoy is travelling? What options are available for a convoy where each car has to be in radio contact and always on? Costs? Rental?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:59   #144
Team-BHP Support

Radio license is expensive and cumbersome. I think BSNL cell phone will be a better bet. Used in conjunction with your own operator, you will have 100% network coverage everywhere on the GQ

Raid etc., operate on interior roads, so you don't really need what they need.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:08   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sudev / Sideways / others with rally experience,

we would need your expertise and guidance here. From your posts regarding the Raid, it would seem like there is a base station and....
I have started a thread on radio use. I agree with tanveer that on GQ you will have mobile coverage IAC.

[OT] It is rather silly that basic walkie-talky are also banned in India. Alternate is to get few of HAMS involved, especially if they can use VHF sets allowing almost pan India communication.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:10   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
If anyone has a 2way radios (walkie talkie) it will definately come handy. I have realised while travelling in convoys they are a very good mode of communication. One can be carried by the lead car and the 2nd piece by the last car.
I think I can get one. The 2 way walkie-talkie should have a range of 1 or 2 KMs. Not sure. Lemme check and update.

Quote:
It is rather silly that basic walkie-talky are also banned in India
Just noticed, I don't know that !!!

Last edited by mjothi : 20th November 2008 at 12:15.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:12   #147
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Current Status:
7 for full drive
5 - Bangalore-Bombay
1 - Pune-Bombay
1 - Madras-Bangalore
1 - Calcutta-Madras
1 - Vizag/VWada-Madras

Calling the Hyderabadis and Keralites - since GQ is not on your path, where do you plan to join the fun - at Vijaywada/Vizag/Madras/Bangalore/Pune (for Hyderabadis) or Bangalore/Madras for Keralites?
Cmon Calcutta ppl!!! I`m sure many more would be interested!

Radio VS Phone

I think that cellphones will work throughout so it`s simpler! Strange na? Cellphones are more amateurish than radio!

Last edited by evo : 20th November 2008 at 12:18.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:40   #148
Senior - BHPian

Guys, ive been using walkie talkie for past 7 years in india, ive got them via customs at the airport and no one ever questioned them. Its a basic 2 piece set that has maximum coverage of 5kms. It doesnt require a base unit and the walkie talkie sets are as small as a cell phone. Each set requires 4 AAA batteries.

The idea was, if say 3 cars are in the convoy 1 piece can be carried by the lead car and the 2nd piece by the last car. So if the last car say gets a puncture and needs to be stopped, the message can be conveyed to the first car by the last car so that the first car stops as well.

As far as the debate between radio/phone goes, i would say radio if someone has it as it will be much much cheaper or else phone is good

I have 2 pieces with me which can be collected from Jaipur if you like. I cant send them thru courier as i wont be comfortable sending them. Or if someone is coming to Jaipur in the next few months before the GQ drive starts can collect them from me.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:47   #149
BANNED

Mods, can you please move all posts on radio communication to
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...less-road.html
Old 21st November 2008, 12:02   #150
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kumar sir for reminder.

One suggestion:
As per plan posted, first day halt will be at Pune and second day halt will be at Baroda/Ahmadabad. This means that first day meet will be at Pune and second day meet will be at Baroda/Ahmadabad. That means Mumbai guys will not attend any meet or will attend short afternoon meet in Mumbai.
I will suggest first day halt at Lonawala.
Pune bhpians can join this the group coming from Bangy at Chandani chowk and can drive with them up to Lonawala for 60 km. A mumbai-pune meet can be arranged in Lonawala in the evening. So there will be large gathering from Mumbai and Pune at Lonawala.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks