Chennai-Bangy-Chennai 11 18.03%
Full GQ 17 27.87%
Others - Please mention in thread 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 15:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Good idea. I'm game. Can't do the entire lap. But would surely join the drive from Orissa. Now will someone PLEASE lend me a diesel vehicle?
Old 8th September 2008, 15:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Secondly I agree with others on having a diesel car with large capacity (its means a SUV or MUV) as the lead car for all legs.
Down south, they are known for their sweeping capabilities

Last edited by kpzen : 8th September 2008 at 15:22.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Down south, they are known for their sweeping capabilities rather than for leading the way.
On this trip the lead car will mean the one that will follow all other cars. This will help it to ensure that no one is stuck on the highway for one reason or the other.

Heard about the phrase, "Leading from behind"
Old 8th September 2008, 15:25   #34
BHPian

khan,

this is not so easy and would require lots planning and effort, count me in from Pune and Nagpur for any help you want...count me in for the drive as well....
Old 8th September 2008, 15:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
khan,

this is not so easy and would require lots planning and effort, count me in from Pune and Nagpur for any help you want...count me in for the drive as well....
I know my friend. It's not easy and that's the fun. who wants to do easy things...!!! things that have not been done before are things worth doing.

And yes, thanks for putting your hand up and being part of the relay meet. It's ordinary people like you, me & fellow t-bhpians that will make this happen -- and will make it happen in style.

I am 100% sure.

Cheers,
Old 8th September 2008, 15:34   #36
BHPian

Guys,

I feel we should do it this way:

1. Start from Delhi
2. Promote a social message - related/unrelated to driving
3. Try and cover all states and union territories
4. Finish the rally at Delhi on 26th January

People who want to do the whole trip can join the rally when it passes thru' their city and finish up at Delhi. Then drive back home. Others wanting to drive part way can join up go to the next rally point and then drive back home. I think this will give us enough time to plan, promote and do this seamlessly.

I agree with the point the in true Team-BHP style, no sponsorship. Can we start Volunteering? Lets do it in this format:

Name:
Handle:
City:
Participation: Part-route / Full-route / Meet up and cheer when passing thru.

@MODS: Can you guys approve of this activity? Also can you guys give some idea about message to promote?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 8th September 2008, 15:42   #37
BHPian

Great idea guys, looking forward for the route and dates.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

I feel we should do it this way:

I would suggest that we wait for hvkumar to post the first draft of the possible route. hvk indicated that he would be able to chalk out a route in 2-3 days time.

Once we have the outline of the route, we can plan further ahead on from where to start/end etc.

That way fellow members will be able to make informed decisions on taking part in part-route/full-route.

Meanwhile we can start discussing the social causes, and other things.

Cheers,
Old 8th September 2008, 15:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

You can do either a GQ drive or a all-State drive, both are not possible in the same trip.

If you do a non-stop relay drive, obviously there is very little time for any social causes - with a drive of this kind, don't be surprised if someone talks of energy conservation in these times of rising energy prices, and questions the very rationale of the drive

October is indeed a month of holidays, and ideally keep a 10-day window during that period (assuming that it is not non-stop relay). Hopefully, many of the roads will be repaired post-rains and i is too early for the fog o roll in. December/January can be ruled out for the trip, there being less holidays and heavy fog in most parts of North/Central India.

Like Shahshank said, the start/end of the drive can ideally be the place which hosts the maximum number of drivers.

Someone in the forum will have to take on the responsibility of identifying the best hotels en route where we can get the best bargains.

Efforts to rope in corporate sponsors, wherever possible, should also be made - car companies, lubricant/fuel companies, etc.

In case you are looking for causes, there is an electric car rally planned (originally in October, bu now postponed to January), starting from Kanyakumari, ending up in Delhi via Kerala, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Bombay. I am in touch with the organisers (it is a clean technology, environmental cause).

Another interesting idea could be to do a simultaneous GQ (M-D-K-C-B-M) + EW (Silchar-Porbandar) + NS (Srinagar-Kanyakumari) so that we can rope in as many people from all regions.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Excellent start. Count me in for 1 or 2 legs. I could not make it for whole trip. Waiting for the hvk's route plan and then will let you guys know.

Just some ideas for social cause,

1. Safe-driving (After all, we are from T-BHP.)
2. Clean green environment
3. Save Oil (Need of the hour)
Old 8th September 2008, 15:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Its good to see such enthusiasm, but do we have the admins approval for this kind of an activity.

Team-BHP is registered and owned by GTO so we would need his consent.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:06   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You can do either a GQ drive or a all-State drive, both are not possible in the same trip.
Ok. why don't we come up with the route details for both the scenarios and then decide based on the response. My vote, as of now, goes for the all-state (or most states) relay.

Quote:
October is indeed a month of holidays, and ideally keep a 10-day window during that period (assuming that it is not non-stop relay). Hopefully, many of the roads will be repaired post-rains and i is too early for the fog o roll in. December/January can be ruled out for the trip, there being less holidays and heavy fog in most parts of North/Central India.
Ok. let's plan for october/november or whatever is convenient at the earliest. I agree with the fog during winters up north/central india.

Quote:
Like Shahshank said, the start/end of the drive can ideally be the place which hosts the maximum number of drivers.
yes. that's fair.

Quote:
Someone in the forum will have to take on the responsibility of identifying the best hotels en route where we can get the best bargains.
One we have the route finalized, fellow bhpians in those cities can take ownership of this task

Quote:
Efforts to rope in corporate sponsors, wherever possible, should also be made - car companies, lubricant/fuel companies, etc.
May or may not be required. however, if we get these fine, else we move on.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:13   #43
BHPian

I guess the best message in these times would be of clean environment, by keeping your vehicles healthy. And what better source to advice on keeping your ride well maintained and pollution free than Tbhp ?

And to do that we have to ensure that we follow the best practices. Like optimum utilization of seating capacity, driving in speed limits that will give best fuel economy.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Its good to see such enthusiasm, but do we have the admins approval for this kind of an activity.

Team-BHP is registered and owned by GTO so we would need his consent.
If we do it as we friends, then it may not need, but since we plan to use T-BHP we should get his concern.

But this is just a idea that Khan has captured in the forum. So, this will take its own time and ofcourse, the required "go" from the consecutive heads

So, till then, keep pouring your thoughts.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:40   #45
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Good idea. I'm game. Can't do the entire lap. But would surely join the drive from Orissa. Now will someone PLEASE lend me a diesel vehicle?
I thought you had a Magnum?

But why would you want to drive on the GQ in anything apart from your Octavia?! hehe!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed