Full GQ 17 27.87%
Others - Please mention in thread 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 13:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Golden Quadrilateral /PAN India "T-BHP Relay Meet"

In yesterday's Bangalore T-BHP photo meet, there was a discussion of doing the GQ and folks suggested that it can be done in say about 7 days.

Soon the discussion went on how this can be done and one of the idea was to do a PAN India T-BHP Relay Meet. (PatchBoy suggested this idea)

I don't want this idea to get lost, so am putting this down here. Please add on to this and lets see how we can make it possible -- the PAN India T-BHP Relay Meet.

We have had national meets where folks have driven from all over India to one place, so this would be something new.

The way this Relay Meet would work is (rough outline):
  • A PAN India/GQ route is planned with meet points in cities along the way where we have T-BHPians.
  • At a high level, the route is broken down into 'legs/phases' -- say 4-5 legs/phases (example: the south -east leg. could help in planning/execution)
  • BHPians from city 'A' drive down to the next city 'B' on the route and have a meet there and hand over the 'Relay Baton'. Then the BHPians from city 'B' drive down to city 'C' and have a meet there and hand over the relay baton to city 'C' BHPians.
  • The above goes on and on till we reach back to City 'A'
  • BHPians who want to do the whole stretch would be welcome to do so. Also, people could do one complete leg/stretch if they wish to
  • We should plan the route in a way that we cover the maximum states/cities and also do it in the least possible time
  • We would have to plan the route/dates/timings in a way that either we stay at hotels at night or NO WHERE anyone stays at night. As a relay, the drive just goes on and on -- even at night. So some meets/baton passing in some cities could happen at night
  • To save on time and avoid the traffic chaos in cities, we should plan the relay baton passing meets to be organized at near city-bypasses, outside the cities.
  • We would need several teams to accomplish this (for example):
    • Route planning team (to the minutest detail)
    • emergency response team
    • central coordination/logistics support team
    • each 'leg/phase' coordination teams. Each leg would need minimum two coordination teams -- one at the start point of the leg and one at the end point of the leg
    • Press/Media/Advt team
    • NGO/Social causes engagement team. the relay meet can be combined with some social cause (one or more than one) and we can spread awareness about that social cause(s) on the way.
    • Finance/Sponsorship team
    • etc...
Let's have some ideas and suggestions flowing here folks on possible dates/route etc. I would love to be part of the 'T-BHP PAN India Relay Meet'

PS: Mods, did not find any thread that talked about a 'Relay Meet'. Please move it in appropriate section if needed.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th September 2008 at 14:11.
Old 7th September 2008, 14:01   #2
BHPian

Khan,

I just mentioned the idea casually and thought that it was not really considered seriously as we did not have the time to discuss in length. I am amazed that you have actually given so much thought into the idea and come up with this thread.

Way to go. Lets do it.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 7th September 2008, 14:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
..I just mentioned the idea casually and thought that it was not really considered seriously ....
Rajan, at times the most innovative things happen over casual/normal course of things. While returning back and at night, your casual remark/idea continued to haunt it and I realized that we should do it.

I thought at least let me put it down here, so that it doesn't get lost.

And yes, let's do itcheers:

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2008, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Howdy Dowdy ! I cannot believe that a random thought discussed @ the photo meet is actually being discussed and Shahnawaz bhai am in along with you and PatchyBoy for sure.
I think this would work provided many bhpians across all the regions in and around GQ are as enthusiastic as we are.
As of now i can see these folks giving a YES from Bangy : Khan_sultan,PatchyBoy,VJ_MAVRICK,akroy,btirthankar
Old 7th September 2008, 14:09   #5
BHPian

On second thoughts, we should extend beyond the GQ and do a Capital Cities Relay Meet - Drive from one capital city to the other.

That way we will cover all of India and also be successful in promoting a message PAN INDIA.

What say guys?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 7th September 2008, 14:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
On second thoughts, we should extend beyond the GQ and do a Capital Cities Relay Meet - Drive from one capital city to the other.

That way we will cover all of India and also be successful in promoting a message PAN INDIA...
. That's why I have stressed the PAN India part and wanted to cover maximum states/cities.

Yes, the easiest option is to have the capital cities as part of the route. (however each state could possibly have one or more relay baton passing points for the meets)
Old 7th September 2008, 15:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a great one.
Nice way to meet tbhpians from all parts.
Count me in.
Old 7th September 2008, 15:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Add my name to the list. I am ready to help in any which way possible.

- Jag
Old 7th September 2008, 15:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Great idea, Shahnawaz.
This activity is possible, but, needs a lot of meticulous planning. We'll have to sit down and chart everything out.
Reminds me of last year when the two JBL cars were driven from Delhi by one bunch of guys and then to Bangalore by another.
You have my
Old 7th September 2008, 15:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive or Autocar did the relay in 82 hours recently.

I have been planning a 4-dayer solo for some time now.

Therefore, you can plan a relay accordingly - 4 days - which is doable provided the Orissa roads are repaired (badly damaged during the recent rains)
Old 7th September 2008, 15:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Khan Sultan, such a driving meet can, incidentally, help you visit your hometown - doing the to & fro journeys on different routes !
Old 7th September 2008, 16:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow.. Looking at the +ve responses, it looks that we should for sure do it and in fact start planning right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
...Nice way to meet tbhpians from all parts.
Count me in.
Abhinav, I am not sure that meeting tbhpians from all place would be possible, unless lots of people do the whole stretch. What would happen is that people from City 'A' would return back to City 'A' after going to City 'B' and handing over the relay baton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Great idea, Shahnawaz.
This activity is possible, but, needs a lot of meticulous planning. We'll have to sit down and chart everything out.
You have my
Thanks Aditya. Yes it needs some meticulous planning and charting out everything to the minutest detail. This planning seems tough but very doable.

I also see this as an opportunity for tbhpians to collaborate, plan and execute at a PAN India level & scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Overdrive or Autocar did the relay in 82 hours recently.

I have been planning a 4-dayer solo for some time now.

Therefore, you can plan a relay accordingly - 4 days - which is doable provided the Orissa roads are repaired (badly damaged during the recent rains)
would need you to play an active part in planning, execution and infact lead the route/date planning team sir.

Your detailed knowhow and knowledge of ground conditions is legendary and will be of utmost importance here.

Please lead the way in putting up the first draft of the route with approx driving timelines etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Khan Sultan, such a driving meet can, incidentally, help you visit your hometown - doing the to & fro journeys on different routes !
Wow.!!! Never thought of that aspect. That's true. one can visit long forgotten places also as a result of this PAN India Relay meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Add my name to the list. I am ready to help in any which way possible.
Jag; just volunteer and self nominate for any of the tentative teams I had mentioned in the first post. And then lead the way sir..

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2008, 16:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats pretty true dude
But still
Guys from city a can meet guys from city b
and guys from city b can meet guys from city c
and so on

So guys from a particular city get to meet guys from 2 different cities

A Suggestion

How about. Those who want to continue can move furthur rather than just passing the relay?
Old 7th September 2008, 16:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
... So guys from a particular city get to meet guys from 2 different cities
True. That would be some fun. right!!

Quote:
How about. Those who want to continue can move furthur rather than just passing the relay?
Yes. folks who want to do the complete route are welcome to do so and people can do legs/stretches also if they want. People are free to carry on as far as they wish.
Old 7th September 2008, 17:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Yes. folks who want to do the complete route are welcome to do so and people can do legs/stretches also if they want. People are free to carry on as far as they wish.
Count me in . & i will like to the complete route. heck what is with I like to , I will do the complete stretch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed