Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 21:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Well, as per my experience this August, the roads were in much better shape then what Rudra experienced, so don't get bogged down by seeing those photographs. But it's true that mountain roads are unpredictable. Keep and eye on the touring forums like bcmtouring and all for the updated info.
Have seen Santro's/Swifts etc making this trip so car type shouldn't be a problem unless you want to take your Civic or Baleno. (although to my surprise seen one silver Baleno at Leh, I dunno how it come there).
We have done Tso Moriri to Keylong in a single day(6.30AM-7PM) as we were suffering from AMS that day and had to come down to lower altitude as fast as possible. And yeah we did took photography breaks on the route. On a normal working photography day it would definitely take two days or more. The place is treasure trove for photographers. But Keylong to Leh in a day is possible unless the road is blocked.
And if you are thinking to go with family then first prepare them mentally for this trip. This road trip is not for the faint hearted. An unsupportive member will be a big headache on such long trip.
And at last, I would surely love to go there again, I've to, as many places have been left unexplored.
Regards,
Old 15th October 2008, 07:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Have seen Santro's/Swifts etc making this trip so car type shouldn't be a problem unless you want to take your Civic or Baleno. (although to my surprise seen one silver Baleno at Leh, I dunno how it come there).
Add a matiz to that, Its hvkumars, couple of years back.
Old 15th October 2008, 07:33   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Well, as per my experience this August, the roads were in much better shape then what Rudra experienced,
Road was in fine shape at time of leaving Manali.
Quote:
so don't get bogged down by seeing those photographs.
Yes, please don't get bogged down. I'm the last one to throw a spanner.
Quote:
But it's true that mountain roads are unpredictable. Keep and eye on the touring forums like bcmtouring and all for the updated info.
And get the best out of that awesome trip.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am in, also have a few friends who would also like to join. We will be driving down form mumbai and have been planning to do the trip in June-July 2009. Lets have a poll on the timming of this trip. What say?
Old 15th October 2008, 11:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Jun-Jul? I heard that its best to visit after september. That is the time it would have decent roads and less traffic. Any clue?
Old 16th October 2008, 03:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Jothi saab,

May end/Jun: Bad roads but better views (subjective)
Aug/earlySept: Roads are made, traffic is beginning to taper off.

Whenever I'd go again, I'll ONLY go for May, not even June:
I remember baralachala as below!

and a frozen surajtal as well.

I have not seen it in any of the post-May triplogs. And yes, I'm a biker, so I can manage
Old 16th October 2008, 08:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jothi saab,

I have not seen it in any of the post-May triplogs. And yes, I'm a biker, so I can manage
Thats a good feedback. Will keep it in mind while planing. Lets see how things go.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I would be interested -- from Bangalore. Will keep a close watch on this thread.
Would you be driving up in your King or planning to hitch a ride once up north ?

I'm looking towards clubbing this event with the north-east tour.Sounds like an insane idea but that's what i stand for .only 4/18 ideas of mine click , sigh!.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

May is when the Rotang pass just opens, i was at Rotang this may and there was a lot of water and muck all around. People there said that the road ahead is bad.

I guess the best time to be there is post 15th Aug but, i am planning to go there in July 09(coordination problem with friends in aug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jothi saab,

Old 16th October 2008, 10:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
1]
4] If bhpians are joining from south india i.e. Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Pune ,what is best way to make convoy or join each other? i mean whether it should be midway or Delhi or Manali.

Better meet at Chandigadh, and start your journey from there.
Bangalore , Chennai ... to Delhi is not a short trip. There may be many wanting to drive down from (say) B'lore to Delhi on the way to Leh. I , therefore, suggest that these T-BHPians meet up enroute eg: B'lore people meet up with Puneites on their way to Delhi

And lastly count me in. I also hope that like other such threads this one does not die down. June '09 is ~ 9 months awaycheers:
Old 16th October 2008, 14:08   #56
BHPian

went there in july.There was the occasional rain but otherwise it was the perfect.These were the roads post manali started getting tough.But the best stretch was between delhi and manali..full of insane twisties.i had a ball as u can notice in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-bad-road.jpg  

Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-my-water-crossing.jpg  

Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-cornering.jpg  

Old 16th October 2008, 14:28   #57
Team-BHP Support

I would advise against July.
July has the heaviest rains, and this is a big problem till manali, as Manali highway is prone to landslides.
Aug 15 timeframe looks better because
1. There is a holiday which comes bang in middle(15th) august. So managing hols is easy
2. Sept can still get freak snowfall and passes can get blocked.
3. Tourist rush begins to taper off, so finding places to stay is easy

We plan to do Manali-Leh-Marsimek La - Tso Mrori- Tso Kar etc., and maybe even Hanle.
Will take 2 full weeks off.

Extra spares. Well will carry air filter, extra spare tire, inflator, slime in tires and things like headlight bulbs, and a can of engine oil.
Don't need any more underbody protection, the only exposed part is transfer case, but it sits pretty high up as compared to other sump guards in the Safari
Old 16th October 2008, 14:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Where did u get the bikes from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
went there in july.There was the occasional rain but otherwise it was the perfect.These were the roads post manali started getting tough.But the best stretch was between delhi and manali..full of insane twisties.i had a ball as u can notice in the pic.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:19   #59
BHPian

was invited for the himalayan odessy 08 by RE .So bikes courtesy was also RE
Old 17th October 2008, 11:51   #60
BHPian

Like Mentioned in the thread that it's too early to discuss bout this at this point of time, none the less, sounds like a great plan & count me in.

I know the owner for hotel lumbini palace located at fort road so i'm sure we can manage to get a decent deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks