Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:29   #76
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
should check out the "Valley Of Flowers", any plans to cover the area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its the other side Millionswords, and is usually a sister trek to the one to Hemkunt Sahib.
Other than the famous Hemkunt Sahib one, Nubra Valley is also known by the same name i.e as "Valley of Flowers" - is around 150 km north of Leh. The road to the Nubra Valley crosses Khardung La.

Also a question:

Is September off season [in terms of hotel tarriffs and thus lower cost of travel] for Leh-Ladakh?
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:35   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Season ends on 30th September. So if you are looking for deals make early booking but for dates right after September.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:42   #78
Team-BHP Support

I would say that travelling after 15th sept is a bit risky.
Many places(apart from proper leh) are book as you reach kind of places.
Is it risky to land there in August without booking?
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:58   #79
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Season ends on 30th September. So if you are looking for deals make early booking but for dates right after September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would say that travelling after 15th sept is a bit risky.
Many places(apart from proper leh) are book as you reach kind of places.
Is it risky to land there in August without booking?

Yes October is definitely off season, but what I am reading till now is that July, August, and till mid September [Ladakh festival] is peak or high season and prior booking is a must.

Would have to then plan like mid Sept to mid Oct, as prior booking will be an impossibility for me going from here and plus with a diversion to Chandertal either while going or coming back. Will all places be accessible around 1st week of Oct?

Last edited by adc : 3rd November 2008 at 16:00.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:37   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

The road is open till first heavy snow fall after October. Most of problems are at Rohtang and that is kept open till mid November.

This is a better season (IMHO) as there is less rush and place is no longer crawling with people and taxi's running all over. Yes lots of eateries would have closed down and staff moved to Goa (four/five months of work in each place) but you will have more peaceful place.Roads would be in better state of repairs towards end of season too. And it falls neatly around kid's autumn breaks / puja holidays (for those who get them).

That is not to say that you should not go in other seasons/periods.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Right place for me.
I am interested. Let the dates and logistics unfold. Dates could be flexible, though like sudevs idea of Oct 2009
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:27   #82

BLR-LEH in OHC in Aug

Looks great, I am planning to do BLR-Leh sometime August as the tourist season tapers off, I plan to do this in my type 2 OHC.

BLR-Bombay-Ahmedabad-Mount Abu-Jaipur-Agra-Delhi-Chandigarh-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Cahtttisgarh-Kujraho-BLR

This should easily take 3 or more weeks if done at a relaxed pace. I have started the preps slowly first in line being a Nikon SLR

Underbody plates and Suspension spacers are priority on my mind.
Old 4th November 2008, 09:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

you have got guts man, even thinking of taking my vtec gives me gitters. I dont think its an easy thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinethra View Post
Looks great, I am planning to do BLR-Leh sometime August as the tourist season tapers off, I plan to do this in my type 2 OHC.

BLR-Bombay-Ahmedabad-Mount Abu-Jaipur-Agra-Delhi-Chandigarh-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Cahtttisgarh-Kujraho-BLR

This should easily take 3 or more weeks if done at a relaxed pace. I have started the preps slowly first in line being a Nikon SLR

Underbody plates and Suspension spacers are priority on my mind.
Old 4th November 2008, 11:13   #84

Its sure isn't a easy thing to do If things get really difficult for the OHC to handle, I am considering parking it in Srinagar or Manali and hiring a 4x4 from there.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

oh that way then its ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinethra View Post
Its sure isn't a easy thing to do If things get really difficult for the OHC to handle, I am considering parking it in Srinagar or Manali and hiring a 4x4 from there.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:32   #86
Senior - BHPian

As someone was asking about discounts during Sept, actually there is. During Ladakh festivals you'll have discounts(prolly around 10% or so) in the hotels and the Taxi's too.
Also about Nubra Valley, many people just go till the K-top and return from there. Don't make this mistake of returning from K-Top, instead cross K-top and proceed, as Nubra valley is too beautiful to give a miss.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:47   #87
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The road is open till first heavy snow fall after October. Most of problems are at Rohtang and that is kept open till mid November.

This is a better season (IMHO) as there is less rush and place is no longer crawling with people and taxi's running all over. Yes lots of eateries would have closed down and staff moved to Goa (four/five months of work in each place) but you will have more peaceful place.Roads would be in better state of repairs towards end of season too. And it falls neatly around kid's autumn breaks / puja holidays (for those who get them).

That is not to say that you should not go in other seasons/periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Right place for me.
I am interested. Let the dates and logistics unfold. Dates could be flexible, though like sudevs idea of Oct 2009

Most probably my dates are from last week of Sept to mid Oct.

Definitely it looks like quite a few bhpians seem to be headed to leh next year.

This past thread has quite a few details including a comprehensive checklist and places and schedules - too bad it did not materialize.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...himalayas.html
Old 8th November 2008, 12:55   #88
BHPian

Got nothing to post, so posting this. The jerrycans are ready

BEFORE:

Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-img_6816.jpg

AFTER:

Name:  IMG_7006.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  123.5 KB

Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-img_7007.jpg
Old 8th November 2008, 13:30   #89
BHPian

Jayanta you seem to be preparing well for the trip

One question to you since you have upsized the tyres of your car won't it be diffuluct for you while doing some off roading, even if you find it conveincing enough your hands will take a toll since your steering is heavier than before, think about it.
Old 8th November 2008, 13:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Seems the prep is on!!

One question, why is jerry can important? Will the other plastic 15 litre containers etc wont work?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks